Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207

Author Topic: FBYOR 6 - Game Over - Last Laughs Of The Dead  (Read 79064 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 - Game Over - Last Laughs Of The Dead
« Reply #3075 on: January 04, 2024, 10:21:45 pm »

I concur with Hector—indefinite banishment seems like an extremely unfun mechanic for the people who get hit by it. You're out of the game, but you have to keep paying attention in case you ever come back. I never got banished, though.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: January 04, 2024, 10:23:32 pm »

Also, I don't think townies should be given kamikaze kills since they have the potential to instantly take out two town players (as happened here).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: January 04, 2024, 10:26:18 pm »

Also, I don't think townies should be given kamikaze kills since they have the potential to instantly take out two town players (as happened here).

That was funny though.

At least until I realized it completely tilted the game away from a town win.

Then it was only a little funny.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: January 04, 2024, 10:45:50 pm »

1) The game was unfortunate in having all the maf be low-activity players, RNG happens. It was extremely high-activity due to the number of players and how prolific some of them (Imp especially) were, and these factors combined to cause the mafia to have daygame problems.

2) I had an incredible time playing the alignment, and the payoff if I'd managed to get mafiakilled was tremendous, but the base-form basekit felt very weak and powerless in the face of the situation I was in. My primary tool for finding teammates was extremely unreliable with there being both a neighborchat and a masonchat, and it left me second-guessing my every move and nearly impossible to coordinate with my allies, especially since they didn't know I existed.

3) If I were to change the setup or game rules I'd look into knightwing's situation and I'd give myself a "protect" where I redirect kill actions directed at a target player into myself. That way I don't have to try to manipulate the mafia in day chat into killing myself and can simply try to predict it instead. Max also should have had a backup kill method so he could kill on his own if the mafia never entered his web or were wiped out early.

4) the flavor was nice, though thinner than I'd expected. It didn't weave a full scene or story, and instead was mostly individual snippets.

5) The personal invitation made the game super welcoming, and was the only reason I showed. I'm going to be exhausted from mafia for a while again after this, but it was a ton of fun. I felt like I put on the strongest showing I've done in a long time, even though I lost, but the defeat doesn't feel undeserved. Town earned this win.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: January 04, 2024, 10:51:13 pm »

Final Survey:

1: What's your impression of the game as a whole?

2: What did you like and dislike about your role?

3: What would you change about the setup or game rules to make the game better?

4: Was the flavor enjoyable?

5: Any other comments to make?
1.  Pretty good.
2a.  Likes:  It was very simple.  It also made being a Cop actually useful.  It was surprisingly balanced.
2b.  Dislikes:  The Rolewipe is not a fun Ability to use on people.  There was never a world where I used it over the Guaranteed Cop Inspect, especially because the Rolewipe would only be useful if there were two people I knew were scum during the Day, and we could only eliminate one.  (And the Execution performs the same purpose.)  Basically, to make the Rolewipe useful, I'd have to be bad at getting people Executed, which, uh, Supercop.
3.  In general, speeding up the game.  I actually would recommend a couple of things to help that:
- 48 hour Nights feel too long.  I'd rather you simply had 24 hour Nights and just took a bit longer to process the first few Nights.
- Vote ties should be determined by anti-Town Players.  Ties being a delay of the game is unnecessary, and adding an extra incentive for the Town to both Hammer and work together before the end of the Day is better for the morale in the game.
- This one's a bit more controversial, but less built-in Revives and kill blocks.  Protect Actions require a resource to use, AND they require you to guess a kill target.  Revives and BP Vests are less skillful and also delay the game a tiny bit.  This one's tougher to implement, but it ends up creating an arms race of Revives and Kills that go through Revives.

Another issue is Action ties.  Two players steal votes from the same Player?  I think they should both have gained a vote, since neither truly interferes with each other.
Other than those, agreed on banishments.  You can't really deal with banished Players very well.  I also think votestealing (and kingmaking/massive vote collection) is troublesome because they affect the Day game.

4.  My flavor made sense and was fine.
5.  Best FBYOR so far.  Balance was pretty good.  Had the potential to really catapult in any direction.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: January 04, 2024, 10:52:34 pm »

Final Survey:

1. A satisfactory return to mafia.

2. The most enjoyable part of the role was being in a group chat. It was masons this game but it would've been fine if it were just any group chat, even if it wasn't alignment confirmed since just being able to discuss things during the night phase is very potent. The other parts of the role were meh. Useful, certainly, but stopping my target from targeting me is dubiously useful since the symmetric relation for night actions doesn't happen that often, except in lylo scenarios. The role is probably one of the strongest roles to have in lylo, and the role was most interesting during that time, but not so much all the other times. Also the role could have been more terribly ironic. I guess shooting TricMagic was fun.

3. Think through all the rules to avoid making meta reasoning viable e.g. the discussions about second mafia teams that ToonyMan probably still would have ignored even if you had weighed in on them in time. Also, certain mechanics I think are bad and should be avoided or limited i.e. dead chat and banishment. I don't think anything dead chat had to say broke the game but it makes the game harder for anti town factions if killing players because their role results are worth fearing is not viable because the information could still make it into the day game. Also I guess banishment could be fine if it doesn't happen to a player for three cycles but forcibly removing a player from being able to play mafia, and potentially forcibly removing yourself from playing mafia, seems suspect from the 'what did they sign up for' sort of perspective.

4. It was adequate.

5. This was your least shitty game, good work, don't let it go to your head.

I think that one was fine.

Town players shouldn't make bad decisions!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: January 04, 2024, 10:57:59 pm »

Town players shouldn't make bad decisions!

Can I get a high-five for us almost decisively losing the game for town at the last hurdle?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 04, 2024, 11:03:56 pm »

Also, you made another mistake, Fallacy.  Imp's Role didn't flip with their Innate.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: January 04, 2024, 11:04:19 pm »

Can I get a high-five for us almost decisively losing the game for town at the last hurdle?

*high five*

Just imagine if Elephant Parade hadn't clutched it out on N1 like that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 04, 2024, 11:12:59 pm »

*high five*

it was actually the n3 bomb that did it because of sofanthiel magically erasing the bomb from existence
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 (9 / 18) - Day 5 - Spider Swatted
« Reply #3085 on: January 04, 2024, 11:18:44 pm »

Also, you made another mistake, Fallacy.  Imp's Role didn't flip with their Innate.

Oh, I missed that, thought I saw the innate in my flip.
Imp was killed. Imp was Town.
The Concept of Simplicity (Town)

(Innate, Auto) The Bad Guys Win: Why is everyone always after what you’ve got? If you are ever killed by a player with the alignment of Mafia, Pirate, or Serial Killer, all your Item abilities are transferred to them. Additionally, any scum teams that exist gain a (Factional, Info) with the full text of this ability.

(Auto) Don’t Worry About It: You cannot gain status conditions, change alignment, join any private chats, have your action targets changed, gain abilities, lose abilities, or have abilities modified. If you successfully alignment inspect someone, your result cannot be distorted from reality. The sole exception to these conditions is that Contractual Niceness can Disable this ability.
(Auto) Contractual Niceness: You are required to maintain a calm and kind demeanor during the Day and in private chats. If you violate this condition, Don’t Worry About It will be Disabled until you follow this condition for a full Day. You are encouraged to take breaks from the game whenever you feel like you need to.
(Night) Basic Inspect [target]: You learn your target’s alignment.
(1-Shot, Night) Simplify [target]: Your target’s role loses all abilities.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: January 04, 2024, 11:20:47 pm »

It is tho
she/her

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: January 04, 2024, 11:24:02 pm »

Oops, I probably just ignored it

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: January 04, 2024, 11:49:20 pm »

*high five*

it was actually the n3 bomb that did it because of sofanthiel magically erasing the bomb from existence

Yeah, that was apparently Sof's mysterious N1 action, they protected CM.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 05, 2024, 12:05:06 am »

I realized after I saw sof's flip, maf team could have basically farmed me for items, nightly protecting me to bring me back after each kill, and killing me each night to take the newly made item.

I'd be sad about that, but that was an ideal answer for my D2 item, please, scum take that, please... (instead, TM handled it another very effective way) and if I'd kept original role you betcha I'd have been trying to wordscribe for items that were not worth stealing, such as what I got D2.

Fal did suggest maybe I post my item requests, specifically suggested the D3+ ones, but here's all for the interested.

Spoiler: D3 imaginary (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: D4 imaginary (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: D5 imaginary (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207