Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 6750 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Revision)
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2023, 04:32:56 am »

For semi-auto rifle someone help me make sense of this, as it's literally a semi-auto conversion of a Schmidt-Rubin. I'm actually really surprised because it seems like it does pretty much exactly what I had in mind, it uses a different stock where the entire action is pushed forward and what I had assumed was the bolt is actually the spring housing where the action recoils into and it has a lengthened trigger lever so the trigger can be in the normal place still. It also seems to be completely recoil operated, although I'm not yet sure if there's any delay system involved (which I imagine there maybe should be?) so without gas system it seems the most complex part for us seems like making a new safety.
EDIT: Of course we can just do a Huot type thing with external stuff. Which actually makes me think - there isn't MUCH that would stop us from actually having the rifle be automatic. We might as well don't make a semi-auto rifle in first place and instead try the dice for a fully-automatic light machine gun, which would probably involve making the whole gun beefier, maybe cooling fins on the barrel, a bipod and long magazines. This way we have a relatively fast firing bolt action, a light machinegun for light machinegun duties and we can do our actual machinegun design to be a heavy machinegun with enough firepower to rip through anything that's thrown at us.
For marksman it's just a matter of getting a scope. Early Swiss designs mounted theirs on the side with a periscope so they could fire with less of the body exposed but since they were limited in size they were considered pretty "meh" (not that we can't do better and I personally like the idea of a scope in a little unconventional place) and later designs had a scope mounted above the reciever, ALTHOUGH those rifles also were pretty heavy modifications as they rotated the entire action like 15 degrees sideways so they could still feed them from charging clips. For additional bonus we might have a bipod that attaches to the stock bayonet lug and maybe a longer magazine or a fancy muzzle device.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 04:49:15 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2023, 06:07:38 am »

I'd prefer a sniper variant. A not-great sniper rifle is still somewhat useful, and as Quarque says it fills a different niche. Whereas a semi-automatic would be competing with the existing bolt-action rifle, and thus if it ends up being awkward or unreliable, it is likely to see little actual use. I mean, if a footsoldier has to choose between reliably getting one bullet in the enemy, or maybe getting three, they're probably going to pick the reliable option- cos a jammed rifle could mean getting killed. A sniper, meanwhile- well, if their rifle jams or misses, they should be far enough away to either retreat or try again.
Not to mention that sticking a scope and a bipod on a rifle should be a lot easier than figuring out some janky hack with springs and carefully managed recoil.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2023, 08:31:16 am »

The snooper rifle. The scope is essentially Winchester/Lyman A5 Telescopic Sight but instead of the tiny little Grashopper spring which is cool, it uses the later Unertl USMC x8 recoil spring because it looks way more cooler and the muzzle brake is something that's apparently purchaseable nowadays for surplus K31s and it mostly helps as a mass dampener in precision shooting rather than as a muzzle brake itself.
The semiauto nice gun. This. I suppose the muzzle brake might help with dealing with the recoil. Probably would work better as a separate design too to make sure it's not a piece of shit but still if anything
The fullauto shoot very fast many bullet monstrosity. It's like Charlton Automatic Rifle. Could also do the Electrolux conversion which operates on the same principle but maybe that also should be a separete design as it could be much nicer.
The sniper rifle might be the easiest, the Bearradair has highest chance of blowing up spectacularly but I think Borcair is the most complex and honestly, yeah, we probably don't need a semi-auto. I'm still partial to the idea of having a lighter machinegun and a really heavy one in our actual design but we might round that stuff out later.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2023, 12:20:34 pm »

I propose a uniform redesign. Troop morale, camo, and helmets across all our forces is a boost worth thinking about, and iron sights might be enough for our snipers at trench-to-trench range.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2023, 01:06:32 pm »

Well, it needs to be something allready in the armory Nirur Torir, but otherwise that would be worthwhile.

Also, Kot, wouldn't the ADM index be the same for those three items? Isint it assigned based on when it is actually adopted?

On another note, I do have a suggestion for a quick and easy revision... Howabout the horrible mashup of a sawbacked bayonet and a feature that will come in handy in trenches, wirecutters?

Also, some comments on other revisions: First, why not design the muzzle brake to allow it to be used as wirecutters, ala how many muzzle brakes on firearms do it(open-ended vents allowing the user to insert wire, twist to tighten it across, and then shoot through it), and second where a scope is mentioned, empathizing that it can be quickly detached and that zero is retained when removed and put black on. Third, with the Banchéile, I suggest against having the sight offset, instead simply issuing a second magazine to the marksman. I would also suggest against having the bipod be attached to the bayonet lug, but instead screwed over the barrel, akin to a Lewis gun bipod or... really most firearms of that era that dident have permanently affixed bipods. MG-15s, SMLE(with the Bren gun training bipod, but still), even the bipods for the M14/M15/M1A do not block the bayonet lug(and are apparent afterthoughts, yet require no permanent modification).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:10:41 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2023, 02:26:44 pm »

Also, Kot, wouldn't the ADM index be the same for those three items? Isint it assigned based on when it is actually adopted?
Yes, they're assigned on adoption, but for (supposed) opsec stuff it also isn't sequential so I think it's fine. Consider that most of additional stuff in the designs is random numbers. I thought about doing it sequentially but many designs would have only one or two numbers at best which I consider boring.
Well, it needs to be something allready in the armory Nirur Torir, but otherwise that would be worthwhile.
I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN I LOVE THE INFANTRY QOL DESIGN
Also, some comments on other revisions: First, why not design the muzzle brake to allow it to be used as wirecutters, ala how many muzzle brakes on firearms do it(open-ended vents allowing the user to insert wire, twist to tighten it across, and then shoot through it),
Eh, I mean sure? It seems inconsequential enough for a design and we're not really sure if there's going to be wire (I mean... is wire going to need to be designed?) but sure.
and second where a scope is mentioned, empathizing that it can be quickly detached and that zero is retained when removed and put black on.
Can it? I've looked at the floating scope mount thing and everything tells me it can be but on the other hand I'm not 100% sure and I don't want something like that to be considered additional complexity.
Third, with the Banchéile, I suggest against having the sight offset, instead simply issuing a second magazine to the marksman.
Loading isn't as big of an issue really (as having to load your sniper rifle with loose bullets is mostly a videogame issue*), neither is high head position to be fair but I just think a scope mounted low to the side just looks cooler. Being able to use charging clips is just an added bonus.
I would also suggest against having the bipod be attached to the bayonet lug, but instead screwed over the barrel, akin to a Lewis gun bipod or... really most firearms of that era that dident have permanently affixed bipods. MG-15s, SMLE(with the Bren gun training bipod, but still), even the bipods for the M14/M15/M1A do not block the bayonet lug.
Yeah I don't particularly like the bayonet lug as a mounting point mainly because it's far out in the front, but as a bonus the bipod (and the brake) could be used by the normal rifle as well. Having special mounts that go over the whole stock that could be shared or something seems like additional design complexity, although arguably the normal rifle probably doesn't really need the bipod.

* Provided the sniper has an adequate sidearm which is something I think we should look into as one of first actions depending on how the situation develops.

EDIT:

Quote from: ADM Index: 17A2 "Votebox II"
(0) NSA-LR-12-4-1, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile":
(0) NSA-LR-12-5-1, ADM Index: 5N3 "Brocair":
(0) NSA-LR-12-6-1, ADM Index: 5N4 "Bearradair":
(0) Saw-Wirecutter-Bayonet and Sheath, ADM Index: 5K2, 5H2:
(1) NSA-LR-12-4-2, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile": Kot
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 04:22:09 pm by Kot »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2023, 05:07:32 pm »

Kot, I wonder what you think about the infantry Qol design?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2023, 05:13:04 pm »

I happen to quite like it.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2023, 12:21:11 am »

I happen to quite like it.
8)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2023, 10:11:16 am »

I like the QoL infantry as well, but yeah. For the current revision we're supposed to revise something that we designed earlier. We can certainly do something like this as a future design.

Between the options currently on the table, I would still pick the sniper rifle. The NSA-LR-12-4-1, ADM Index: 5N2 "Banchéile" is an awesome write-up, but maybe we can continue the Scottish Gaelic names? How about "Sealgair"? It means hunter.

edit: maybe add to the description that the sniper version doesn't include a bayonet?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:18:12 am by Quarque »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2023, 10:26:43 am »

I just pick random stuff that's "gaelic" and are really ignorant about differences between words. Internet tells me it's supposed to mean wife or something around those lines in some gaelic language. The only name I feel strongly about is the automatic rifle supposedly being a beard shaver because it's funny because it shaves your beard with the bolt jumping into your face, otherwise numbers appeal to me more than names on spiritual level.
Personally also tried to also do names starting with B but it doesn't matter much.
Also do you like the pre-revision version over the post-revision one? Why?
edit: maybe add to the description that the sniper version doesn't include a bayonet?
Does it matter? The bayonet is easily detachable and might as well issue snipers with it as an indivudual melee weapon/sidearm for lack of anything better right now.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 10:34:55 am by Kot »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2023, 10:43:42 am »

apparently "Banchéile" means "wife" in Irish, which is pretty hilarious.

the pre-revision version
woops, missed the revision of the revision my bad

Does it matter? The bayonet is easily detachable and might as well issue snipers with it as an indivudual melee weapon/sidearm for lack of anything better right now.
More efficient packing. ;) Not a huge deal.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9