Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 6730 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Strategy)
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2023, 01:14:20 am »

The beautiful thing about something like that is that it's not really anti-armor. It's anti-everything. Also, it's not like it's a definite anti-tank weapon, I imagine it's going to only really matter against the first couple designs, so depending on where the game goes we might want a proper anti-tank gun.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2023, 11:22:05 am »

Just to get the important stuff out of the way ahead of time:
ADM Index: 3N2
Will this be the index for all machine guns, or only heavy standalone ones? I can see arguments both ways. Either way, I think you should update this post, since Category 3 currently seems to exclude machine guns in its definition.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2023, 11:57:18 am »

The post is preliminary anyway, I wanted to keep a detailed record but I think it will look better at the end of... preliminary... turns, when we have enough gear for it to look cool.
As for the machinegun, I initially went with 5N, decided to instead go 3N, went back and then back to 3N again (It's also complicated because various Russian .50 machineguns are included in GRAU index system but stuff like 14.5 KPVT and such is only included as part of whole armored vehicle setup because the gun itself predates GRAU index, meaning it seems to be absolutely up to us). I think classifying it as an artillery piece is a nice bit of flavour considering they're so heavy the crew is at least like four to six guys but I don't feel strongly about it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 12:03:06 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2023, 12:52:27 pm »

In my book, HMGs are heavy weapons, whereas LMGs, GPMGs, and suchlike are smallarms. Basically... Does it need a carriage, a mount, or a tripod? Heavy weapon. Can it be used without one? Smallarm. So, the KPV, including the infantry version, is a heavy weapon; PTRS/PTRD are smallarms, and so on. Thats how it all makes sense to me, anyways.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2023, 01:15:54 pm »

In my book, HMGs are heavy weapons, whereas LMGs, GPMGs, and suchlike are smallarms. Basically... Does it need a carriage, a mount, or a tripod? Heavy weapon. Can it be used without one? Smallarm. So, the KPV, including the infantry version, is a heavy weapon; PTRS/PTRD are smallarms, and so on. Thats how it all makes sense to me, anyways.
Yeah basically my line of thinking as well.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2023, 02:10:13 pm »

That can you carry and fire it line is what i go with as well.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Design)
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2023, 09:30:04 pm »

Preliminary Turn 2

It is now your second Design Phase. While your forces build up the defenses along No Man's Land, you are tasked with developing the weaponry the soldiers will use to defend it. In this case specifically this means some sort of machine gun or mortar. Have fun, scrubs.

Edited to add: Reminder that the report is in the core thread if you forgot.

Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Territories (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:32:00 pm by Man of Paper »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Northern Admin Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Design)
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2023, 07:21:55 am »

Machine gun time. I'm not sure yet which of the designs so far I like best but I sure as hell can't write up anything better. Generally speaking, I think I prefer the design that can sustain fire the longest, but not sure which one that would be.

Aseaheru, what's your opinion?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2023, 08:15:59 am »

I like the gast gun, but thats because Im weird and like gast guns in general, and suggest them for every game Im in. And hey, I dident write it up this time!. So, NSA-CM-12-1-1, ADMI: 3N2 "Arrachtach" would be my choice between all of the allready suggested designs.

So, to offer something up(I feel I need to, even if I am probably not voting for it this turn), have the Pansi, because I like the idea of giving flower-based codenames to artillery and what better flower than the pansy?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2023, 08:38:26 am »

I'm probably making a very bad decision.

Quote from: ADM index 34A1 "heavy duty box"
NSA-CM-12-1-2, ADM Index: 3N2 "Arrachtach" (1): Quarque
NSA-CM-12-2-1, ADM Index: 3N2 "Torann"
NSA-CM-12-3-1, ADM Index: 3N2 "Chabair"
3E1 "Pansi" (or colloquially "Taflwr Toesen")

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2023, 09:34:57 am »

NSA-CM-12-1-2, ADM Index: 3N2 "Arrachtach" (2): Quarque, AseaHeru
NSA-CM-12-2-1, ADM Index: 3N2 "Torann"
NSA-CM-12-3-1, ADM Index: 3N2 "Chabair"
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2023, 09:55:41 am »

Machine gun time. I'm not sure yet which of the designs so far I like best but I sure as hell can't write up anything better. Generally speaking, I think I prefer the design that can sustain fire the longest, but not sure which one that would be.
None of these. Technically the Chabair would, having a belt and water-cooling, with Torann being close second, even if magazines would probably be very quickly exchangeable. Arrachtach is more of an explosion than a gun, if we get anywhere close to 1500 RPM of the historical Gast gun you have a gun that fires a bullet heavier than a .50 cal and does it at the speed you'd expect something like MG42 to fire. It's closer to a ZU-23 than a Maxim gun.
This is a Gast gun in normal caliber. I don't really like it and writing it felt like a huge ass creative block. If we want to do a Gast gun specifically I'd rather do the big one.
The SANE option. The BORING option. The RELIABLE option. The still quite interesting sort-of mechanically option. This is probably the closest to a standard issue machinegun of WW1 of any of the designs. If we roll right it could probably fire for days at end with short pauses for someone to come under the barrel and pick out the gunk from the gas port with a stick and maybe pee into the water jacket to replace any water that might still escape through the threads. The longer I wrote this the more convinced I became of this being the rational choice to make. Even on a bad roll I think it would work at least fine, while the Arrachtach on a bad roll might be a fancy way to turn our soldiers into suicide bombers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 10:11:11 am by Kot »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2023, 09:59:43 am »

Insane gast gun and possibly, if we feel like it, machinegun conversion of our standard rifles as the revision?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2023, 10:39:53 am »

Considering that apparently there's no laws of war I'm afraid the dreaded Infantry QoL design is a neccesity. While I don't think we should push for morally questionable options (it's arguable if there are any in war but bear with me), primarily because I think the game devolving into who can make the funniest and most effective flesh melting combat gas will be boring, the despicable Royalists have already shown their hand with the exploding bullet. It's only a matter of time (or, even a matter of right now this very design, mortar ain't that complex so they might squeeze in some tear gas or something) before they start making weapons of mass destruction. Even if they don't, it's unlikely they'll leave their meme bullet as is and we're likely to see more of it in future.
Thus, while that's still a couple turns in future, we pretty much have to spend a design on our infantry uniforms and general gear. We need resilent fire-retardant uniforms, we need armor to mitigate the impact of the explosive ammo, we need gas masks, we need helmets, we need eye protection, we need mine clearing implements and we need personal first aid equipment. While doing armor might be a rehash of the Moskurg/Forenia stuff, it's the only obvious solution to the exploding bullet thing. It might however give us an opening to do power armor if we ever want to go that way. Not sure whether it should be the defensive design or free design, we'll see.
Also it will be very ironic and thematic in long run when some guy in full plate we have breaks into the King whatever's palace before shouting "Are there no true knights among you?".

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2023, 11:10:44 am »

The SANE option. The BORING option. The RELIABLE option.
Gosh darnit, now I just have to vote for it. This is the kind of design that radiates "cool" for me. A down-to-earth premise, but chock full of lovingly written details.

I understand if you guys need to go with the oversized gast gun, but gotta be honest with my vote.

NSA-CM-12-1-2, ADM Index: 3N2 "Arrachtach" (1):AseaHeru
NSA-CM-12-2-2, ADM Index: 3N2 "Torann"
NSA-CM-12-3-2, ADM Index: 3N2 "Chabair"
NSA-CM-12-4-1, ADM Index: 3N2 "Ceobhrán"
NSA-CM-12-5-1, ADM Index: 3N2 "Ràsanach" (1): Quarque
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9