Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11156 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Explore II]
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2023, 02:05:32 pm »

As I said on Discord, I still want to fix the problem with the soulscouts first before using them. All it takes is to skip them for a single exploration phase. Not a big deal in the long run.

But if we're greedy here - insisting to immediately create another ghost (or god forbid more than one) and if we then roll a one on the attempt to deal with them, well. We asked for it. That's probably a spectacular disaster. It is only a 10% chance, still too much for my liking.

Now I realise I'm in this with dwarf fortress players and losing is !FUN! so.. if you guys want to live the Boatmurdered experience, let's go. But I'm not going to vote for it. (If someone else posts a proposal to explore & move without ghostsploring this turn I will vote for it for sure.)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Explore II]
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2023, 03:09:02 pm »

It looks like the mountain range either goes straight or bends upwards to the north(depending on how you interpret 17-L being described as a rocky wasteland). Both 17-N and 15-N are described as hilly grassland so chances are the mountain range does not continue southwards. I don't want to ghostplore before we've made a solution to angry ghosts. explore 16-N, 17-N, move to 17-N
Quote from: VoteBox
Explore 18-M, and 19-M (1): TCK
Explore 17-L and 16-L below ground: (1) Quarque
Explore 16L and 17L, move tribe to 17L, Soulscout-Explore 18M: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Explore 18-M and 17-L, move tribe to 17-L, ghostsplore 16-L: (1) Maximum Spin
Explore 16-N, 17-N, move tribe to 17-N: (1) Crystalizedmire
she/her

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2023, 03:16:51 pm »

Explore 16L and 17L, move tribe to 17L, Soulscout-Explore 18M: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Explore 16-N, 17-N, move tribe to 17-N: (2) Crystalizedmire, Quarque

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2023, 03:27:40 pm »

Minor note here, the sacrifice line was mostly a joke.
Yeah I know, I'm just referencing it.

As for the rest of your post, the idea is that since we are tethered to the central tile by our lichen-exploitation, we probably won't want to migrate to a tile outside of the central ring anytime soon. Whereas if 16-L turns out to be a much better tile for us to live in, we may well want to migrate there in next turn's exploration phase.
I guess? It seems more likely to me that we might find another textile source or even increase our exploitation range again before we find any really good reason to settle in that particular spot. After all, it's within our range for dropping exploit actions on anyway, so it'd have to be particularly worth living IN and not just near.

As I said on Discord, I still want to fix the problem with the soulscouts first before using them. All it takes is to skip them for a single exploration phase. Not a big deal in the long run.
Not that I'm against this, but this is the actual literal (except for not costing any money) definition of throwing good money after bad - instead of making the best of what we've got or just ignoring it altogether, we'd be spending another phase on it.

(If someone else posts a proposal to explore & move without ghostsploring this turn I will vote for it for sure.)
Why... don't you?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2023, 02:42:01 am »

Not that I'm against this, but this is the actual literal (except for not costing any money) definition of throwing good money after bad - instead of making the best of what we've got or just ignoring it altogether, we'd be spending another phase on it.
We'll need to spend a phase on it at some point anyway to get rid of the surface ghost.

Why... don't you?
I stick to adding one proposal a phase, that's on the strict side but I don't want the game to devolve into a race who can spam all the ideas first. Anyway the option is in the votebox now.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2023, 02:50:38 am »

We'll need to spend a phase on it at some point anyway to get rid of the surface ghost.
There's no law saying we can't just ignore it forever.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 20, 2023, 03:23:40 am »

That is an option in theory. But I wouldn't really want to leave a threat next door without having a way to deal with it if necessary. Man of Paper clarified that yeah the ghost isn't increasing range like I interpreted it at first, but he didn't promise that the ghost will be a good boy and stay where it is forever, regardless of future circumstances. Not to mention that we might want to use the passage for some reason.
Anyway, as long as we're not breeding more lions before inventing any weapons I'm happy. Or if we do I'm also happy but in a more gleeful way. ;)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 20, 2023, 12:12:44 pm »

Explore 16-N, 17-N, move tribe to 17-N: (3) Crystalizedmire, Quarque, C2M
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 20, 2023, 03:57:12 pm »

Explore 16-N, 17-N, move tribe to 17-N: (4) Crystalizedmire, Quarque, C2M, A_Curious_Cat
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Expand II]
« Reply #144 on: September 24, 2023, 06:29:09 pm »

Exploration II: Moving On

Your people, nomadic by nature even if stuck underground, itched to pick up and move once again. To see different cave walls. To hear how dripping water echoes in different caverns. A small group stayed behind to continue harvesting the hairy lichen, with runners bringing the resource to the tribe as it moved through the caves and toward a new home.

At the instruction of one of the Founding Families (Crystalizedmire +1I), a general direction was chosen for the migration to occur. The tribe packed their things and headed south into 16-N. With Stonebreakers traveling a couple days ahead of the rest of the tribe, paths could be widened, carved, and smoothed out to ease travel as they went. Small groups would break off from the main party to explore forks and branches in the paths they took, and eventually one of these teams found themselves led by a curious light. Following the glow led them to three massive interconnected caverns that each required days to comb through. Glowing Mushrooms sprouted from cracks in the stone where water had carved a path generations ago, and their relatively plump helmet-like tops proved more than adequate for eating (with some occasional mild discomfort). Some curious materials were woven in veins along the cavern walls, giving the tribe their first glimpse of Casserite within the Granite. One of the caverns even had a pool of Mourning Dew gathering at it's center.

The tribe, used to the feel of water dripping from the ceiling, were significantly less enthusiastic when they were setting up a camp for resting and felt something significantly harder falling on them from the ceiling.

Poisonous Cave Centipedes as long as a tribesfolk's forearm dropped from above, landing on this perceived threat with aggressive intent. The bites from the animals were painful, and they were never satisfied with just a single assault, often attacking in conjunction with a few other centipedes dropping onto the unfortunate someone or someones passing underneath the centipede clusters. The horrors of these large insects did not end there, as the bites festered and blackened while the venom spread through the victim's body. An incredibly powerful but brief illness struck the victims before they passed away curled in a ball and covered in their own fluids.

While the threat of the centipedes was not constant, it was present enough that the tribe made sure to quickly pass through the region and into 17-N.

This area was full of steep inclines as the passages wove into and through the mountains separating the empty wastes the tribe inhabited from the rest of the world. Fearful of any return through the centipede-infested caverns after having already suffered a noticeable number of losses, the tribe was intent on finding someplace sufficient to stay within this twisting maze. Fortunately, the tribe was able to locate a very large passage that led to the surface. The entirety of the winding passageways within the mountain crossed at a single point with a cave that passed through from one side of the mountain to the other, terminating at each end above the surface. Haircap Moss was abundant in the area, giving the tribe a sufficient and plentiful source of food. Tunnels closer to the surface also cut through significant deposits of Lignite layered above the everpresent Granite. One branch of tunnels beneath the mountain proved most intriguing, as it terminated at a very large squared chamber filled with a dense collection of Mourning Dew that wasn't flowing into the tunnel for some reason or another. Neither did any voices, as our Attuned were keen to point out. Once they entered this chamber, their interactions with the Mourning Dew were as expected (overwhelming numbers of casually mumbling voices).

As the tribe set up near the intersection between the underground and the cave tunnel, a small party went to check out the ends of the cave tunnel. While they did manage to get a good view of their surroundings, less of them returned thanks to a family of Cave Bears that made their home in the tunnel and hunted nearby prey on the surface. Survivors were able to spot a distant tower of smoke, and noted that it likely belonged to one of the tribes that forced yours into hiding.

Neither of these zones are safe, but the Cave Bears are something your people could evade, at least. While they aren't immediately disturbed by or disturbing the tribe, continued habitation of the area without decisively dealing with the bears could result in...animosity.

With the tribe setting up in 17-N, the group working the Hairy Lichen in 16-M could continue their work. All other resources in that region are currently unworked, largely due to the fact that those workers have moved on to harvest the resources in 17-N.

RESOURCES IDENTIFIED
16-N
Glowing Mushroom Clusters (Food+Chemicals)
Granite Caverns (Stone x2)
Casserite Veins (Stone?)
Poisonous Centipede Colonies (??)
Mourning Dew Pool (Mourning Dew x2)

17-N
Haircap Moss Growths (Food x2)
Granite Mountains (Stone x2)
Lignite Beds (Stone? x2)
Cave Bear Family (??)
The Misty Chamber (Mourning Dew x3)

TERRAIN IDENTIFIED
16-N
Interconnected Caverns

16-O
Mountain Range
Hilly Grassland

17-N
The Tunnel Pass

17-O
Mountain Range
Hilly Grassland
Deciduous Forest
Mountain-Fed Streams

18-M
Mountain Range
Hilly Grassland

18-N
Mountain Range
Hilly Grassland

18-O
Mountain Range
Hilly Grassland
Deciduous Forest
Lake-Fed Streams

UNKNOWN TRIBE

----

It is now the Expansion Phase. Remember that this phase is for expanding in the sense of proposing technology to build up your military, society, industry, or culture in addition to the expected meaning of expansion by declaring an "attack" on a zone within or along your borders if you have an identified threat you wish to eliminate. As a Nomadic tribe you may choose to move or settle during this phase as the phase's Action. The name will also continue to be a point of discussion until the vote is more decisive.

If you use a magnifying glass you might also be able to see the small purple squares in the upper right corner of the areas you have explored on the map.

You can interact with another tribe with any action, provided the proposal includes some flavor involving how it is intended to be used. All actions, even those without flavor, have the potential to cause interaction with other tribes - contact with the outside world is almost inevitable, and you have some power to influence how that comes about.

There is a general feeling among the tribe that there are about to be major changes in the near future. (This is GM-speak letting you know that your Expansion Action, unless it rolls astoundingly average, will be the final deciding factor for how your first Age comes about.)

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Families (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Expand II]
« Reply #145 on: September 24, 2023, 10:19:56 pm »

Offerings for the Dead
Whenever we use our attuned, there is always a chance that the ghost will become or is aggressive. We have discovered a solution to aggressive ghosts. First, we stay a safe distance away from the ghost. Then we make a quick fire and burn some of our food. This way the fumes will provide the spirit with food and it will no longer be aggressive(at least not to us). The science behind this is that the fumes send the food into a form from which the ghost is able to digest.

As much as I like my above proposal, I think it is safer to contact the nearby tribe by giving them one haircap moss and hopefully establishing a friendly relationship.
Quote from: vptebox
1x haircap moss for other tribe(1): Crystalizedmire
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Expand II]
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2023, 10:20:08 pm »

I am not committed to a hostile approach or anything. But I thought it would be fun to lay out the option.

Ghastly Domination (Builds on: Attuned and sort of Soul-Scouts)
The whole timbre and attitude among the tribe changed when we realized the outsiders were close. We are not strong, and we still fear, the fear that drove us into the deeps with outsiders baying at our heels in the first place. It is justly said that fear, without recourse, leads to anger, and thence to hate.

But the dead have very little reason to fear.

Having seen what an angry spirit can do to the living, it was not hard to formulate the plan. Having sulked in the darkness for so long, blaming the ones who had driven us away - even if we were growing used to our new home and did not want to return - it was not hard to find volunteers. Our exile had come to offer a unique way for the elderly to serve their people beyond their time, and now that urgent need for that service was felt, there were many who jumped at the chance. Soon enough, several of the Attuned had reached the limits of the mortal coil, and then surpassed them, manifesting in the manner we now knew to expect; whereupon the clouded ranks marched confidently down the mountainside on a misty night, and raised Hell.

The outsiders could not possibly have imagined, much less known, what to expect. Rent by spectral claws, harassed by spectral wails, chilled dead by spectral breath - in no time, their numbers were diminished and their willingness to fight only more so. The plan, however, was not to eliminate them, but to humiliate them as we were once humiliated; so once their resistance was suitably destroyed, the ghosts presented our demands to the survivors: absolute subjugation and tribute.

We will soon make our statement to the rest of the world which had persecuted us.

(It bears saying that I like to write as if the action is successful. Of course it may not actually happen this way, if we are unlucky. But this is the Tale.)

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2023, 10:35:59 pm »

Just shoving my proposal here
It can be better written but I just not feeling it

Spirit Wardens

Turns out asking those Soul Scouts for directions amongst the tunnels tend to make them a bit miffed about counting rocks
and pebbles for the rest of their unlife. Well, we found a solution to these Soul Scouts that keep murdering our Attuned.

Enter the Spirit Wardens.

These are Attuned that go far beyond what normal people do to become Attuned. These people spend months or even years in
the Mourning Dew, risking insanity or their souls being consumed by the lake in order to obtain something much greater. Turning their
bodies into a part of the Whispering Lake. Since the limited amounts of Attuned appearing, and even less of those willing
to go through with the process, combined with those that do often go insane. This means that usually only 1 Spirit Warden is
created per generation.

What do they do?

Well since now hold a little portion of the Whispering Lake, they now can absorb any souls that are willing and unwilling, perfectly for those
Soul Scouts that keep murdering our guys. The Spirit Warden absorbs these Soul Scouts and forces them into the Whispering Lake held within their bodies.
Often adding a bit of the soul, and memories into their soul but still being the dominant soul within the body.
Due to the absorption of Souls, when Spirit Wardens die, their spirits become much like those Loud Souls we encounter within the Whispering Lake. Allowing the Attuned to hear them
much more easily and allow the Attuned to ask for advice and wisdom from the deceased Spirit Wardens.
This also has the side effect of having more connections to our ancestors, as we can access them via the deceased Spirit Warden's souls.

EDIT: Adding the clarification to this post as well, and editing it to be slightly better written in terms of grammarish
The Spirit Wardens would be absorbing the soul scouts into the whispering lake
They steal a portion of the soul of the scouts, making them have the memories and experiences of the scouts as well

The whispering lake within the body, and the Warden's soul are two different entities, the lake holds the soul scout souls, which removes the lethal spirits from play. The Spirit warden's soul steals the part of the soul scout's soul, and acts as a tribal "shaman" where we can get wisdom, and information from the scouts, and additional wisdom when they're dead since their souls will be stronger after absorbing other souls.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 10:11:17 pm by The Canadian kitten »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2023, 11:27:36 pm »

Wow that was exciting. I've barely digested the update yet and will think about proposals/vote later.

Just a quick reminder for those who might have forgotten that cassiterite is the tin ore and lignite is an awesome early find in DF as a fuel. Not as good as bitumous coal, but still a great alternative if you don't have access to massive amounts of wood or eh, magma.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2023, 11:31:41 pm »

lignite is an awesome early find in DF as a fuel.
Yes, this remind me that I would also like to re-table Fireside Community now. If people don't want to define ourselves as scourges upon the earth instead.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18