Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11095 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the beginning there was a vast darkness. Things changed, and then they changed some more, and they kept changing until we finally find ourselves at a unique and beautiful planet filled with life. One of these forms of life is human: you! You are all the leaders of a sizable tribe of humans as they move from barely subsisting to settling and, hopefully, thriving through the ages. There is only so much room at the top where the lucky few bask in the fruits of the labors of others, and this creates a divide between you, the leaders of this as-of-yet unknown tribe!

At the start of the game every player is a Minor Family directing a nomadic tribe. As time goes on, Major Families will be introduced and voting rules will be adjusted accordingly (covered further below). Both types of families can propose plans of action for the tribe during all four phases of each turn and all generally want their peoples to continue existing. Beyond that, they are all competing for the position of top dogs as the Minor Families try to outmaneuver one another to usurp a Major Family and the Major Families do everything they can to hold onto their positions.

But how are you supposed to do any of that while you’re also leading what may one day be a multicontinental empire? Find out more in the spoilers below!
Spoiler: Ages (click to show/hide)

Each turn is divided into four distinct phases that take place over a wildly variable amount of time - months, years, or even generations can pass by over the course of a single turn. The first turn is the only exception, with an extra phase at the beginning for selecting your starting tribe. The tribe starts as Nomadic, with special rules in the spoiler titled "READ: Nomad Rules". Make sure you read it, especially if you're a returning player. Becoming a Settled tribe will replace the known special rules with new ones, but you don't get to learn those until your people do (:.

And here's some more spoilers covering a few other things!
Spoiler: READ: Nomad Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Settled Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Proposals and Voting (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting The Game (click to show/hide)

To make things easy on youse, you will be able to search TURNTURNTURN in the fancy search bar up on the top right in order to find all updates in this thread.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:18:14 pm by Man of Paper »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to the Tribal Selection Pregame Phase!

As you sign up to participate you are also asked to mull over and vote on which of these starting locations you prefer. Once you select your starting location we will move onto the first Exploration Phase!

There are Five starting locations:

Quote from: Northern Tundra
Your people have come to find themselves in the cold territories of the northern polar region. The land itself provides snow, and rock beneath that. Some wildlife manages to subsist on the rare rocky outcroppings that poke above the permafrost and allow plant life to grow. Your tribe is drawn to the coast though, as the sea provides more than the land ever could. Strange ringing coral in the shallows draws many a curious eye, but the whales who find themselves stranded and lost in the area are the true prize. Though difficult to hunt, these massive creatures find themselves washing up on the beach as often as not, providing an easy source of food for the locals.

Starting Technologies: Bone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks. Requires access to Bone), Bone Spears (allows Exploitation of larger beasts for Food. Requires access to Bone), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Umiak Boats (canoes made of animal parts, allowing exploitation of and eases travel through Rivers and Coastal waters. Requires an exploited medium or large Animal resource), Chum Tents (provides basic shelter, made of animal hide stretched over bone. Requires access to an exploited Animal resource)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Food x2 (Bowhead Whale Pod, Lingonberry Patches), Stone x1 (Gabbro Protrusions), Bone x2 (Bowhead Whale Pod, Whalebone Coast), Sonorite x1 (Sonorite Reef)

Sonorite: A colorful coral only found in the waters around a large island in the arctic. At this time not much is known about it, but it surely has potential. There is currently no way to manipulate or utilize this material. Considered to have a sphere of sound.

Quote from: Equatorial Grassland
Your people have found themselves on a nice patch of land near the equator, "comfortably" bracketed between mountains in the distance to the west, dense jungle to the north, and an oppressive expanse of desert to the south. While resources are bound to be plentiful, there is little room to move without coming face-to-face with deadly, unforgiving environments. Your people somehow managed not only to get to this somewhat serene slice of land, but have done so seemingly unharmed. As an unexpected result some superstition has arisen regarding the consumption of various plants, especially those with apparent psychoactive effects.

Starting Technologies: Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks. Requires access to Stone), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Early Shamanism (a foundational technology for spiritual beliefs. Has a chance to reveal additional Plant-based resources when exploring new areas.), Bentwood Yurts (provides basic shelter, made of branches and bark shaped. Requires access to an exploited Animal resource), Chronological Imbalance (The tribe will experience abnormal events requiring your attention at a regular frequency. Proposals utilizing Traveler's Root will roll at advantage (taking the highest of two d10 rolls), with the lower roll hidden and applied to the next Traveler's Root-free proposal.)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Food x2 (Peanut Pods, Chayote Vines), Stone x1 (Gneiss Outcrops), Wood x1 (Araucaria Grove), Traveler's Root x1 (Non-euclidean Root Cluster), ?? (Sheep Herd)

Traveler's Root: A reddish-brown creeping plant capable of clinging to and climbing across most surfaces. At this time not much is known about it, but it fills your people with both a sense of hope and a sense of dread. Considered to have a sphere of time-space.

Quote from: River Valley
Your people have traveled the vast plains and found themselves at the intersection of two great but gentle rivers fed by massive mountain ranges far to the east and west. This tranquil place is home to a vast number of flora and fauna, most of which is relatively harmless. Harmless, but not unremarkable. A surprising number of the local wildlife is endemic to the area, which could be considered unusual for a location in the middle of a massive continent with large tracts of accessible and relatively similar environments surrounding it. Keen eyes from the tribe have noted that the region's unique wildlife tends to feed on the vibrant and colorful flowers growing in the fertile valleys.

Starting Technologies: Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks. Requires access to Stone), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Early Herbology (Non-tree plant-based resources have a chance to provide Chemicals or an additional Food), Early Animal Husbandry (allows the taming of docile creatures, getting them to provide additional resources to the tribe), Thatch Huts (temporary homes made of bundles of thatch laid over sticks and coated with mud.)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Food x2 (Maize Fields, Potato Blooms), Stone x1 (Siltstone Bluffs), Wood x1 (Red Oak Thicket), Chemical x1 (Potato Blooms), ?? (Sharpbeak Chicken), Nymph Rose x1 (Nymph Rosebush Clump)

Nymph Rose: A species of rose that seems to change the things that eat it over time. Little else is currently known about the plant. Considered to have a sphere of biology.

Quote from: Gulf Coast
A temperate region bordering an ocean to the south has drawn your people to it, in large part due to the massive crater marking some major cataclysmic event in the planet's past. Gently rolling hills and tracts of relatively flat land to the east and west respectively make for generally unremarkable surroundings beyond the planetary dimple. At the very bottom of the crater is a viscous grey fluid that is currently laying dormant but seems to have spread throughout the surrounding region at a number of small springs and pools that dot the landscape. Local wildlife tends to avoid this grey goo.

Starting Technologies: Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks. Requires access to Stone), Primitive Firemaking (a base tech vital for survival), Fishing Spear (sharpened sticks with forked tips that allow for Exploitation of water-based Food resources. Requires access to Wood), Basic Clayworking (reveals Clay resources, provides simple bowls and cups for the tribe), Hide Tents (simple housing made of animal hides stretched over conical wooden frames)

Starting Zone Known Resources: Food x2 (Cranberry Bog, Black Sea Bass School), Stone x1 (Shale Deposits), Wood x1 (Pine Barrens), Clay x1 (Clay Hillock), Nanites x2 (Impact Crater)

Nanites: A self-replicating but currently dormant mass of machine-based microlife left behind after an extrasolar object struck the planet, not that tribal folk would comprehend this. Very little is known about this grey goo. Considered to have a sphere of inorganic life.

Quote from: Cavern Complex
Sometimes the dangers of the surface world are too much to handle, as was the case with your people. Fleeing the constant threat of death provided by barbaric tribes and vicious predators, your tribe fled to the center of their continent, passing through a mountain range and into a barren landscape. Turning around would mean their certain demise, but so would staying where they were. Luckily, a vast network of caves and caverns in the region provided cover and respite, and after a significant amount of time your people have learned to adapt and thrive in this otherwise unfriendly environment. The bowels of the earth do hold mysteries of their own, and the creeping mist in the deepest chambers fills your people with an incredible amount of dread. Some even claim they hear voices from the depths.

Starting Technologies: Cave Adaptation (The tribe has greatly heightened senses, which can prove to be overwhelming on the surface), Subterranean Migrations (Your people can find underground routes through any Land tile), Stone Tools (provides basic tools for basic tasks. Requires access to Stone), Early Firemaking (A base tech vital for survival), Primitive Ropemaking (Provides ropes useful for a wide variety of tasks. Requires access to Textiles), Cave Homes (the most basic form of housing - caves carved out by nature ages ago) 

Starting Zone Known Resources: Food x2 (Hairy Lichen Walls, Cave Crayfish), Stone x2 (Granite Stalactites, Granite Stalagmites), Textiles x1 (Hairy Lichen Walls), Mourning Dew x3 (The Depths) 

Mourning Dew: A dense mist found deep underground that unsettles the living. Some tribals swear they hear the voices of the recently deceased within the fog. Very little is known about the true nature of this haze. Considered to have a sphere of mortality and (un?)death.

Remember to use a votebox to determine your starting location! Time to get started! If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or in the discord server provided in the first post.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Families (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 12:17:15 pm by Man of Paper »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Biopunk time
Quote from: geocache
River Valley: (1) m1895

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

As much as I would truly adore the cringe hole experience, I worry it might get monotonous in the long term. As much as I don't super want to pound down the animal husbandry route again and am not super a biopunk guy, I do honestly like the starting tech options for River Valley and think that it would be a good biome to start in. Hell, it'd be good for agriculture, too, as would admittedly the Nymph Rose.

River Valley: (2) m1895, Powder Miner

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

I like rivers
River Valley: (3) m1895, Powder Miner, TCK

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A little hesitant to go heavily into animal taming again, I'll vote for the for the more desolate first option which I think is super cool and chill. (hur hur)

Northern Tundra: (1) Quarque

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The grassland will have going to been the most interesting qua special resource, and I likewise am not thrilled at the idea of re-hashing an animal-heavy strategy.
Equatorial Grassland: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

I may like rivers but I like the time fuckery moss more

Equatorial Grassland: (2) NUKE9.13, TCK

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Considering joining.  Want to ask a few questions on discord, first…

Edit:  just talked to the GM on discord, and it looks like the river valley is a death trap that’ll do in our civilization before it even gets a chance to get started!

Edit2:  Looks like I was duped by someone named Man of Polders.  Still waiting for the GM to respond…
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 02:54:53 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lmao

never trust someone named Man of Polders ;)

(edit: added smiley and "lmao" to make it more clearly ironic)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 03:06:06 am by Quarque »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm kinda concerned about the river valley’s dangers, so I’m voting for a beautiful and scenic Gulf Coast

Gulf Coast: (1) C2M

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

River Valley provides freshwater which I'm pretty sure neither the tundra nor the gulf coast has. Also, I'm curious about what monstrosities we turn into after we eat way too much nymph rose.
River Valley: (3) m1895, Powder Miner, Crystalizedmire
she/her

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think we can use those roses responsibly, right?  Right? 😉

Cavern Complex: (1) A_Curious_Cat
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 01:47:28 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Equatorial Grassland: (1) TCK
Cavern Complex: (2) A_Curious_Cat, NUKE9.13
Perhaps a cavern compromise?
Long Live United Forenia!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Equatorial Grassland: (1) TCK
Cavern Complex: (2) A_Curious_Cat, NUKE9.13
Perhaps a cavern compromise?

Could you move my vote to match the edit I made to my previous post?

Edit:  thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18