Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11170 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Pit-fired terra-cotta ceramics: (0)
Succession harvesting: (2) Quarque, Crystalizedmire
Soul-scouts: (2) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
Do the Dew: (0)
Dew for the Dead: (0)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Succession harvesting: (3) Quarque, Crystalizedmire, A_Curious_Cat
Soul-scouts: (2) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

Ask the dead for their opinions on memes as society progress
Also idea is pretty cool

Soul-scouts: (3) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, TCK

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soul-scouts: (4) NUKE9.13, Powder Miner, TCK, C2M

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Explore II]
« Reply #124 on: September 18, 2023, 09:48:47 pm »

Experimentation I: Soulbound (Roll: 2)

Some members of the tribe had always been able to hear the voices that came from the Mourning Dew more than others, and with the discovery of The Whispering Lake they could finally hear clearly enough to understand them.

The spirits of the dead that made up the Mourning Dew were concentrated enough for the "Attuned" who were more sensitive to the voices to make out mutterings of freedom, of an eternal peace they were soon to receive, with occasional quips about random moments of their past lives. None of them seemed to stay around for long - days at most for any one voice - with no clear indication of where the voices would move onward to. Your tribe attempted to reach out and communicate with these passing souls, going as far as wading out into the lake itself, but to no avail.

Eventually one of the Attuned was on their deathbed and one of the Founding Families asked them to bring a message to the afterlife (Nuke9.13 -2I). They were asked to scout out the surface above the tribe, an easy enough task with details the tribe could at least verify independently. A few days after they passed away, the Attuned's voice was briefly added to the chorus flowing into the lake before they emerged from the mist as a roughly human-shaped cloud of Dew. The Attuned spirit moved with purpose through the tunnels to the surface using passages it had been very familiar with in life. Once it reached the surface it began to whisper, listing out everything it saw on the surface.

As the days passed and the spirit continued to comb over every centimeter of the surface, observers could see and hear the spirit become angrier. The entity's voice rose to a deep guttural shout by the tenth day, calling out every pebble in a roar that put fear into anyone who heard it echo across the wasteland. When another Attuned approached the screaming being in an attempt to reach out and calm it, they found themselves enveloped by the ghastly being, their life drained and corpse withered and curled up in mere moments. Another Attuned fell to the spirit after following from what used to be a safe distance, as the spirit seems to become more easily agitated as time goes on. While it is expected that the spirit will return to The Whispering Lake once its task is complete, counting every stone above the Tribal Cavern could take an actual eternity even without being bound to the physical realm. In the meantime, the tribe will have to endure the occasional scream echoing from the surface.

But at least the spirit was precise.

NEW DISCOVERIES
Attuned: Members of the tribe who are more sensitive to Mourning Dew. Requires access to Mourning Dew.
-Soul-Scouts: Attuned given a request upon their deathbed to scout out a nearby area. Currently too thorough, resulting in lethal "haunting" of the scouted area after a period of time. Provides very accurate data if followed from an ever-increasing safe distance. Soul-Scouts allow Exploration of a tile neighboring a previously Explored tile independent of any other Exploration action, and have a chance to discover additional resources. Soul-Scouts provide areas they Explore with the (Lethal Spirits) modifier and hamper any actions in the area unless otherwise dealt with. Requires 1 Mourning Dew Upkeep.

TERRITORY MODIFIED
16-M adds (Lethal Spirits [Surface]).

RESOURCES IDENTIFIED
16-M
Surface Granite (Stone x2) (Unavailable due to Lethal Spirits [Surface])

----

It is now the Exploration Phase. You may choose to make a proposal to develop for your people that could aid them in exploration in some way, or you can propose a route to explore. Thanks to Stonebreakers, you may choose to explore up to two tiles. These tiles must neighbor an already explored tile, and must connect to one another as well. Due to Soul-Scouts you may also choose to scout another tile neighboring a previously explored tile independent of any other action you take during the phase (at the cost of an angry ghost). When proposing exploration plans, be sure to include whether or not you will be deploying Soul-Scouts. For the purposes of this game, diagonal zones are considered neighboring.

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Families (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Explore II]
« Reply #125 on: September 18, 2023, 10:30:56 pm »

Let's not use the murders ghosts right now
Also maybe check out the island coast?

Quote from: VoteBox
Explore 18-M, and 19-M (1): TCK

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Explore II]
« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2023, 11:01:16 pm »

Agree to not use ghosts.

I prefer to scout out nearby terrain first, before exploring distant tiles. It allows us to make use of our increased exploitation range and exploit more useful thing at once. Besides, if there's anything lurking nearby I'd like to know early.

Explore 17-L and 16-L below ground: (1) Quarque

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 18, 2023, 11:26:24 pm »

Okay, I am now glad nobody preferred my idea. Keeping the spirits in our house could've gone so much worse. And also I would've lost influence.

I had some ideas for Explore proposals, but I ended up thinking we should look for more resources instead, so I'm down with Quark's suggestion, it makes a nice square.
Explore 17-L and 16-L below ground: (2) Quarque, Maximum Spin

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2023, 05:56:30 am »

Let's not use the murders ghosts right now
Agree to not use ghosts.
Please don't make my sacrifice be in vain. While the murder ghosts are likely to render a few resources in the tiles they explore inaccessible, we will find a way to deal with them eventually. We may still be able to harvest one or two resources from a square at a distance until we figure out a way to pacify them.
We can be fairly confident we aren't going to move out of the central ring for the next few turns at least, so using them to explore more distant tiles is even less likely to cause a headache.

Thus, my suggestion: Explore 17-N and 16-N, send Soul-Scouts to explore 18-N
(N versus L doesn't make a big difference, I just figured it'd make them easier to distinguish)
Explore 17-N and 16-N, send Soul-Scouts to explore 18-N: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2023, 06:56:13 am »

Please don't make my sacrifice be in vain.
I'm sorry that your creative project went badly, but let's not fall for the sunk cost fallacy. ("throwing good money after bad")

While the murder ghosts are likely to render a few resources in the tiles they explore inaccessible, we will find a way to deal with them eventually. We may still be able to harvest one or two resources from a square at a distance until we figure out a way to pacify them.
We can be fairly confident we aren't going to move out of the central ring for the next few turns at least, so using them to explore more distant tiles is even less likely to cause a headache.
Yes, we will find a solution. But until we do, actively adding more ghosts is a risky play that I wouldn't recommend. The update indicates that their range of activity increases, after all. Adding more ghosts means we burden ourselves with a big problem that we must urgently solve, whereas the single surface ghost we have so far is still manageable.
If we're dealing with two or more ghosts, with some of them haunting the caves, a second bad roll on the solution would get us into deep trouble.

I don't feel the reward (fairly limited additional scouting) is worth such a risk.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 07:01:41 am by Quarque »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2023, 07:58:31 am »

The update indicates that their range of activity increases, after all.
This is a misinterpretation. I just asked MoP:
NUKE9.13
Does this line
"Provides very accurate data if followed from an ever-increasing safe distance."
Mean that the ghosts will expand into neighbouring tiles,
or does it just mean that as they grow more irate with their lot we have to be more careful about asking them what they've seen (until they eventually snap, and can no longer be safely contacted)?
Man of Paper
The second one
You didn’t make a world ending ghost plague (yet)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2023, 10:09:32 am »

I think I agree with NUKE’s logic about the soulscouts. However, I want to note that the lethal spirits we do presently have being on the surface above the Tribal Cavern makes me *very* nervous. Accordingly, the way I see it, we’re stuck between two gambles - sticking on the spot where the soulscout is, or hoping we happen to run into rock (the chance thankfully boosted by rockbreakers, at least) wherever we move to.

I’m going to make a proposition for the latter, which lets us avoid losing any resources or getting ghost’d if we’re lucky and loses us our stone tools (but not our textiles) if we’re really unlucky.

Explore 16L, Explore 17L,move tribe to 17L. Soulscout-explore 18M.
Explore 17-N and 16-N, send Soul-Scouts to explore 18-N: (1) NUKE9.13
Explore 16L and 17L, move tribe to 17L, Soulscout-Explore 18M: (1) Powder Miner
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 11:01:48 am by Powder Miner »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2023, 11:05:40 am »

While it is a bit of a gamble (that we get stone in our new tile), staying here with a ghost above us has a chance of putting us into full cave-adaption, which would be unfortunate. It'd be good to at least keep the option of doing stuff on the surface, even if we primarily stay under.
Explore 16L and 17L, move tribe to 17L, Soulscout-Explore 18M: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2023, 01:19:06 pm »

Hm, that is pretty risky, but I have a high risk tolerance today.

The thing is, though, 18-M appears to be outside the mountain which means we may well have more reason to use that tile's surface. That might just be me misinterpreting the map, I guess, but still, just in case, I would probably direct the angry ghosts toward 16-N instead, especially since that's also further away from where we are moving - unless you're more interested in getting resources specifically within our current range, in which case I'd explore 18-M normally and 16-L with the ghosts.

I don't actually think, Nuke, that not using the ghosts this turn would make your sacrifice be in vain - we'd still use them, just not necessarily every opportunity - but I also don't think it's a big deal to use them as long as we stick to places we're not trying to occupy right this second.

If you're quite convinced that the resources in a ghosty tile won't be completely inaccessible - and it does seem likely we can at least use a proposal in another phase to send ghost-immune people to snatch them away if necessary (...I think I might just rewrite Bringers to be about that, sorry, I tend to recycle) - then I think the second of the strategies I wrote above is best.

Explore 17-L and 16-L below ground: (1) Quarque
Explore 16L and 17L, move tribe to 17L, Soulscout-Explore 18M: (2) Powder Miner, NUKE9.13
Explore 18-M and 17-L, move tribe to 17-L, ghostsplore 16-L: (1) Maximum Spin

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2023, 01:43:20 pm »

I don't actually think, Nuke, that not using the ghosts this turn would make your sacrifice be in vain
Minor note here, the sacrifice line was mostly a joke. I'm not all that interested in getting deep into politicking to try and become/stay a major family, so the loss of influence isn't a big deal. I do think it would be a shame to leave the advantage gained on the table, but not for personal reasons.

As for the rest of your post, the idea is that since we are tethered to the central tile by our lichen-exploitation, we probably won't want to migrate to a tile outside of the central ring anytime soon. Whereas if 16-L turns out to be a much better tile for us to live in, we may well want to migrate there in next turn's exploration phase.
I mean, it's probably mostly academic, since it seems like a lot of folks intend to (attempt to) fix the murderghost issue this turn. As such, I will stick with Powder's option for now, though if your option gets more votes I will probably switch over.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18