Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11112 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I also propose name: "Underkind"

How about “Mooks”?  :P
How about "the Ghosts of Deep?"
How about “The Ghosts of The Deep”? 

I think it sounds better with a definite article before “Deep”.  I also dislike having the question mark be part of the name.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I also propose name: "Underkind"

How about “Mooks”?  :P
How about "the Ghosts of Deep?"
How about “The Ghosts of The Deep”? 

I think it sounds better with a definite article before “Deep”.  I also dislike having the question mark be part of the name.
I did not realize the question mark is part of the name
she/her

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: exploration 'you were specifically told not to just call it "votebox"' edition
Cold-Temperature Clothing (2): Powder Miner, TCK
Explore 15-N (1): Crystalizedmire
Explore 17-M (4): Maximum Spin, A_Curious_Cat, C2M, Quarque
Jumping the bandwagon, as I really want to explore in some direction.
I do suggest relabelling it to something like "Explore caverns of..", to make it unambiguously clear that we're exploring below-ground.

Quote from: tribal namebox
Those-Who-Are-Pursued (1): Quarque
Underkind
Mooks
Ghosts of the deep

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

Mmm, yes, I meant to ask Paperman if that would make a difference. I authorize the change if all the voters are agreed.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Quote from: exploration 'you were specifically told not to just call it "votebox"' edition
Explore 15-N (1): Crystalizedmire
Explore 17-M (4): Maximum Spin, A_Curious_Cat, C2M, Quarque

Those-Who-Are-Pursued (2): Quarque, Powder Miner
Underkind
Mooks
Ghosts of the deep

He did already mention that the nearby surface here is barren with the intent of keeping us underground at the start, so I don’t think there’s much chance of us accidentally popping onto the surface

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Underkind
Mooks
Ghosts of the Deep (1): Crystallizedmire
The name is cool and thematically apropriate due to our ghost mist
she/her

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

Underkind
Mooks
Ghosts of the Deep (2): Crystallizedmire, TCK

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fine I'm voting 17-M
Explore 15-N (0):
Explore 17-M (4): Maximum Spin, A_Curious_Cat, C2M, Quarque, Crystalizedmire
she/her

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Underkind
Mooks
Ghosts of the Deep (2): Crystallizedmire, TCK, A_Curious_Cat

Although I do feel that “the” should be capitalized.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Underkind
Mooks
Ghosts of the Deep (3): Crystallizedmire, TCK, A_Curious_Cat

Although I do feel that “the” should be capitalized.
I'm pretty sure the "the" should not be capitalized just like "of"
she/her

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Expand I]
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2023, 07:54:43 pm »

Exploration I: Small Steps

The caverns offer your people their only chance at survival during these early days of the tribe. With nothing for them on the surface, one of the Families pushed for the creation of bands of scouts to check out the caves in 17-M (Maximum Spin +1I).

The scouts carried torches made of the broken ends of stalagmites with bowl-like indents carved into the wider end to hold the flame. These dim (though not to the tribe's eyes) fires were short-lived, but fuel happened to be plentiful during the scouting expedition. Scouts were also burdened with rope in order to traverse rougher climbs as well as leave a trail. Small parties of three or four would trace the various routes within the subterranean labyrinth, chiseling different markings that could be used to identify whether or not a path was explored and if it terminated in a dead end (a horizontal line for that branch of the cavern continuing, a vertical one for a dead end), and the ropes were used to backtrack quickly and easily.

The explorers progressed eastward through the dark passages with relative ease, foraging what the could of the lichen, fungi, and rare cave insect they found on the way. Eventually though they managed to come across an obstacle they couldn't easily traverse. A shallow channel of fresh water carved through the rock and ran across the tunnel. The stone beneath was likely slick, and the waters swift, but your tribe never tested it. Along the surface of the water gently rolled a thick vapor that your people immediately recognized thanks to the chill in their spine and the occasional whisper from the darkness. While their aversion to the Mourning Dew halted the planned direction of the party, the water had carved out a shelf wide enough to walk along the channel on in ages past. Eventually the channel led to a vast underground lake and, more amazingly, a split in the earth above that allowed the sun to sweep across the lake for a couple hours each day. Some ferns and small plants managed to take root in the clay-rich soil deposited along the lakeside. There was even, much to the chagrin of one explorer specifically, some life in the cave in the form of wasp nests, as well as the bats that fed upon them. There seems to be nothing beneath the surface of the water, but your people don't feel like checking right now anyways.

This location seems like there would be minimal difficulty supporting the tribe, even if it is heavily unsettling. Your tribe will also probably need to figure out what Mourning Dew does to a person when they interact with it (GM Note: I didn't want to determine the interaction between people and the dew, and I also want to make it clear that there's a reason why your people are avoiding the Dew mechanically. Don't overthink your people being spooked by it, that's just flavor).

RESOURCES IDENTIFIED
17-M
Clay Soil Deposits (Clay)
Gray Bat Swarm (??)
Mud-caked Wasp Nests (??)

Hearty Anasazi Bean Poles (Food x2)
The Whispering Lake (Mourning Dew x5)

----

It is time for your first Expansion Phase. Remember that this phase is for expanding in the sense of proposing technology to build up your military, society, industry, or culture in addition to the expected meaning of expansion by declaring an "attack" on a zone within or along your borders if you have an identified threat you wish to eliminate. As a Nomadic tribe you may choose to move during this phase as well. The name will also continue to be a point of discussion until the vote is more decisive.

Spoiler: Available Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources By Region (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Families (click to show/hide)
TURNTURNTURN

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civilization Building Game [Expand I]
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2023, 08:21:27 pm »

Having thought it over, I don't suuuper think that we should actually expand into a second nomad group this phase, given that that will put us in a position where we have two groups temporary-exhausting resources and a total of... 2 tiles to work with. Clayworking is also slightly difficult because we don't have the clay exploited, which will mean that it would have lesser spread than it could.

Instead, here is my proposal to make us better-prepared for being able to move into that tile next turn without running into problems courtesy of the wasps and bats:
Quote from: Improved Cave Homes
As the tribe covered new ground with new life, some problems inevitably began to show for those who frequented the wasp-infested area: not only was it uncomfortable enough as is to sleep in the hard caves of the cavernous land, with tribespeople usually piling loose, soft material into a place to sleep, but now tribespeople had to worry about being stung or attacked by wasps or bats in their sleep or when resting at what passed for home. The textiles of the lichen walls offered a solution to both of these problems. Ropeweavers experimenting with their patterns of weaving found a way to do so remarkably different from the thick ropes, instead, putting together a thinner fabric made of mats of the lichen twisted together to create a roughly solid mesh. These found a couple of immediately useful - firstly, they could be hung over cave entrances to prevent the entrance of pests into caves. Secondly, the fabric could be used to make more comfortable places to sleep, sit, and otherwise live, generally making life that little bit less brutal. The best thing is that as these fabrics are so much lighter than most other materials dealt with by the tribe, they could be carefully folded up and then moved with the tribe as it travelled.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2023, 08:43:32 pm »

I think that's solid and it was something I was considering, but let me offer a competitor as well, in a more social organization direction:

Fireside Community
As we begin to settle into our new home, the social bonds that tie us together and allow us to pass knowledge through the generations become only more important. Our vision of the future demands that we maintain and deepen our tight-knit social fabric. To that end, we must delineate our notion of community space - of our home, which belongs to us, where we huddle together in safety - from the feared and unexplored depths. Here in the caverns, where the sun cannot define the rhythms of our life, clear communal rituals are still more crucial, lest we drift apart as individuals fulfilling our needs on our own schedules and barely acknowledging one another. The essence of civilization is fire, and the hearth has always been the centre of any tribal community; its light and warmth defines what we know as home. We shall build our great fire at the centre of our camp, and we shall gather around it as one people, in the warmth of flame and of family, sharing our food and stories, and this daily ritual will become the cornerstone of our tribal self-understanding.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2023, 10:00:11 pm »

Here in the caverns, where the sun cannot define the rhythms of our life, clear communal rituals are still more crucial,
That is a really good point, biological clocks are utterly screwed. Can't believe I didn't realize this after playing DF.

It's got less immediate practical use than improved housing, but the absence of light and warmth feels like a physical pain if I try to imagine it.

Quote from: votebox without an original name
Fireside Community: (1) Quarque

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2023, 01:00:36 am »

Quote from: votebox without an original name
Fireside Community: (2) Quarque, A_Curious_Cat
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18