Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Founding Families - A Semicompetitive Civ Building Game [Explore IV]  (Read 11118 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: votebox
Cold-Temperature Clothing (0):
Explore N-15 (1): Quarque

I'd like to get to know the immediately nearby horrors first. Better clothing is good too but would rather not use up an exploration phase for it now.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Cold-Temperature Clothing (1): Powder Miner
Explore N-15 (1): Quarque

I'm banking on two things: this making exploration an easier process, which’ll be useful right now when we want to do a lot of exploring (maybe it’ll increase our exploration range), and that although we obviously want to start exploring, we probably need to do it THIS TURN less than any other time, seeing as very little is going on.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Explore N-15 (2): Quarque, Crystalizedmire
Obviously I'm voting for myself
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

I don't really see the value in a proposal right now, when we have no particular goal and no immediately obvious problem. (Caves aren't even particulary cold! More like a brisk fall day, typically.) I think exploring for more resources and more potential problems to solve is more valuable. However, I propose exploring 17-M instead, because it's a shorter trip to the sea and therefore seems more likely to get us some different interesting biomes.
Quote from: exploration 'you were specifically told not to just call it "votebox"' edition
Explore 15-N (2): Quarque, Crystalizedmire
Explore 17-M (1): Maximum Spin

I also have a suggestion for Experimentation but that'll have to wait.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: exploration 'you were specifically told not to just call it "votebox"' edition
Explore 17-M (2): Maximum Spin, A_Curious_Cat

17-M sounds good to me, too.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile

Cold-Temperature Clothing (2): Powder Miner, TCK
Explore 17-M (2): Maximum Spin, A_Curious_Cat

There isn't much need for exploration right now

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There isn't much need for exploration right now
That's like the opposite of the truth. Right now we want to explore more to learn about resources and where to move and, if at all, to settle. It would only make sense to say "we don't need to explore right now" if we already had everything we could want!

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I propose we Explore the caverns of 16-M.
I think our starting tile is pre-explored. At least, we know of (and harvest) a bunch of subterranean resources it produces, and we know that the surface is completely barren, so there probably isn't much more we can find here (with our current tech, at least).

Ahh good point, I was thinking going selecting our starting tile would involve going deeper? But I’m fine with exploring in an actual direction.

Cold-Temperature Clothing (2): Powder Miner, TCK
Explore 17-M (3): Maximum Spin, A_Curious_Cat, C2M

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I also propose name: "Underkind"

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Consider the following - how exploration worked last iteration of this game is that as we got more exploration-relevant tech, we got more spaces that we could explore - going from just exploring one adjacent space to being able to draw a path of 2 spaces, 3 spaces, 4 spaces.

Now, since we're nomadic, there's something two spaces might be able to do for us that one space of exploration can't, which is moving one space, dropping our settlement on that tile, and continuing to explore, letting us both settle on explored territory AND not have to give up exploring new territory. If we manage two spaces of exploration, we will also be able to explore this area MUCH more rapidly; it would in fact immediately make up for any exploration we lose spending this phase on clothes that help to counteract stated exploration obstacles. From this perspective, keeping our exploration tech at 0 from the start actually hobbles it pretty badly.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Consider the following - how exploration worked last iteration of this game is that as we got more exploration-relevant tech, we got more spaces that we could explore - going from just exploring one adjacent space to being able to draw a path of 2 spaces, 3 spaces, 4 spaces.

Now, since we're nomadic, there's something two spaces might be able to do for us that one space of exploration can't, which is moving one space, dropping our settlement on that tile, and continuing to explore, letting us both settle on explored territory AND not have to give up exploring new territory. If we manage two spaces of exploration, we will also be able to explore this area MUCH more rapidly; it would in fact immediately make up for any exploration we lose spending this phase on clothes that help to counteract stated exploration obstacles. From this perspective, keeping our exploration tech at 0 from the start actually hobbles it pretty badly.

But by exploring now we may find resources to exploit and things which might make future exploration tech easier, while also potentially expanding our options in the present term.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's certainly no objectively wrong answer, since exploring now will also give us resources we can use to catch up on the turn not spent on tech, but I'd rather have some idea of what's going on before investing in solutions.
Besides, thinking it's cold underground is objectively wrong. :P The turn only cites freezing cold at night outside!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about “Mooks”?  :P
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's certainly no objectively wrong answer, since exploring now will also give us resources we can use to catch up on the turn not spent on tech, but I'd rather have some idea of what's going on before investing in solutions.
Besides, thinking it's cold underground is objectively wrong. :P The turn only cites freezing cold at night outside!
Fair enough, I misinterpreted that.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about “Mooks”?  :P
How about "the Ghosts of Deep?"
she/her
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18