Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!  (Read 9928 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!
« on: August 09, 2023, 03:11:13 pm »

A game of traveling, adventure, and... accounting!

A small merchant captain like you, has to, one day, come up to the Lusitanian Western Trade Company in search for more profitable work. The Company trades mostly with Karibs, sending there textiles and alcohols, and where such marvelous goods as Bitterfruit, Brownpod, Firestalk and many others, including precious metals Silver and Gold, are bought for return to Lusitania.

And like with all foreign trade, there's pirates, storms, accidents, spoilage and sailors' pay rates to consider. And of course your old boat won't do; so the Company will loan you a Ship, a Trader or a Galleon, including the crew and Armaments, and some hard cash to exchange for needed goods from the Karibs. And these loans need to be repaid and will be repaid - when you return, carrying Coffers, Sacks and Barrels filled with items that make Old World merchants and royals drool from greed.

But before you enter the office of Paulo Alfonso do Amiencafaya, Company Master of Luzia, you have to write down your credentials on parchment so that his scribes can then verify, and which are thusly:

Your Name:
Your Perks (choose 2): Alcohol Adept, Dye Expert, Explorer, Merchant Prince, Naval Veteran, Royal Treasury Charter, Seasoning Master, Spice Trader, Tea Merchant, Textile Seller.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 08:46:44 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 03:25:00 pm »

Your Name: Tani Brian
Your Perks (choose 2): Explorer, Spice Trader,

No cookies for figuring out the name, only tea and spice. (If only 3.)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 03:45:20 pm »

Your Name: Scott Finley
Your Perks (choose 2): Explorer, Royal Treasury Charter

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 04:02:44 pm »

+1
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 09:07:04 pm »

+1
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 01:19:24 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMTRADER OF LUSITANIA: Captain Scott Finley!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 08:46:32 am »

You pass the parchment to the scribes who diligently make a copy and sign it themselves.

And with document thus signed you are invited to the chambers of Company Master of Luzia, Paulo Alfonso de Amiencafaya.

His room is quite square, with maps of Karibs, Stygia and the faraway Xin and the Root Islands plastered onto each of the walls flanking the door and in front of it. Bookshelves full of ledges and rolled up documents and scrolls line the gaps in the walls between the maps.

Company Master himself is seated at a large, intricately detailed ebony desk, a pile of parchment on his right-hand side, and an inkwell on the left-hand side, his fingers deftly inscribing something on the parchment in front of him with a white and ashen quill of some bird. The Company Master is a stout, clean-shaven man with hooked nose and small, but sharp eyes, and ears away from his cheeks, with sparse dark brown hairs, short and neat against the back of his head. He wears a dark red robe and a chain of gold on his neck.

He looks at you with a glance, and then takes interest in the parchment you're carrying. You pass it to him and he quietly reads the contents.

"So you want to work for our honorable Company, right?"

"Right." He brings the parchment to his eyes, reads some more, and glances at you.

"Albionese?"

"Yes." He nods and puts the parchment down.

"Good, sturdy men of the sea and pleasant trading partners, your folk." He stands up and moves to the shelf behind and to the right of him, and pulls out a large book clad in crimson leather. He flips the pages as he returns to his seat and traces some numbers and names down a list at one page, then flips to another - also full of names and numbers.

"Hm hm, hmmm, yeees... Mister Finley, we would be honored to have you as a Captain of one of our ships headed for Karibs in the coming year. If you're interested?"

"I have never been in Karibs."

"That is not a problem. The crews in our employ need a leader, not a guide."

"Right."

"All we ask of you is to get us spices, dyes, whatever that is produced in the Karibs and not in Lusitania. There's great demand for the exotic goods and even larger profits awaiting those who bring them to port." He traces some names on another page of his book.

"It takes slightly over two months to get to Karibs, visit the ports and return to Lusitania, if you follow the trade winds south and west and then north and east."

"What would be the Company financing of my expedition?"

"We get you a Ship and its crew, plus armaments of your choice." He says, taking an empty sheet of parchment. "Expenses for these will be thus called Company Loan; your voyage will first pay off these expenses, and anything else above that is Company profits. You will be able to fill the Cargo Holds of the Ship with some Company goods - that said, we sell Textiles and Alcohols to the Karibs - and you will be given some Company Money to purchase goods in Karibs with in case the Company Goods do not turn out to be very profitable, as it is sometimes the case. Whatever Company Money you do not spend on purchases, must be also returned." He lifts his quill towards the ink well.

"First things first, though - I need to ask you when you prefer to travel."

"Is there a difference?"

"Very much, in case of Karibs. While you can trade gold and silver pretty much whole year, it is Autumn and Winter that have the most precious of spices and seasonings available aplenty. That is not to say that other seasons are unprofitable, no, but you have to remember that Sea in Spring is usually calmest of them and in Summer the most violent. And in Autumn, when profits are the greatest, pirates also are active more than usual."

"I will sail..."

A) "In the Spring, when it is the calmest and easiest to sail."
B) "In the Summer, for I fear no inclement weather!"
C) "In the Autumn, as the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward!"
D) "In the Winter, which might be the best times of them all."
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 08:49:52 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 08:57:14 am »

D) "In the Winter, which might be the best times of them all."

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 09:50:30 am »

A) "In the Spring, when it is the calmest and easiest to sail."

(If we lose our shipment to bad weather or pirates, it doesn't matter how much more we would have been able to buy and sell.)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 04:17:34 pm »

D.
He said nothing about Winter, so it *should* be fine, aye?
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2023, 03:11:58 am »

D
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 03:59:38 am »

D I hope the water is warm otherwise we are in for some issues.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 09:42:27 am »

"In the Winter, which might be the best times of them all."

"I see." Company Master closes the book and then writes down something on the parchment you've handed him, and then affixes some red wax and presses his signet.

"See you in 9 months then, Mr.Finley, on the 30th of Late Autumn." He shakes your hand and you leave.

30th Late Autumn

When you enter Company Master's office, Pablo Afonso de Amiencafaya greets you with a smile.

"Ah, Mr.Finley. Our Company has prepared necessary documents for Company Men you might visit while anchoring in the ports in the Karib Islands or on the Coast of Columbia." He picks up a book from his shelf, and flips the pages some.

"The Autumn was eventful for our company and not all ships we've loaned or bought have returned yet. Our stocks of alcohols and textiles are also a little low, but I'm sure we can manage to fill your holds quite fully." He turns the book around and starts pointing to you some ship schematics and tables of numbers.

"At the current time, we have 3 ships available, of these hulls and holds..."

Spoiler: "Santa Beatriz" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Santa Julia" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Estrela Ocidental" (click to show/hide)

A) "I will take Santa Beatriz as my ship."
B) "My ship will be Santa Julia."
C) "Estrela Ocidental is the one."
SigFlags!

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 09:53:58 am »

The Estrela would allow us to haul the most stuff but we'd be paying 20% extra per shipload, and there's 25% extra sailors per shipload (which might be relevant if we have to pay wages, I don't know if we do). The Julia is the same cost per shipload as the Beatriz but would allow us to haul more stuff.

Spoiler: Analysis (click to show/hide)

As such I reckon we should go for:

B) "My ship will be Santa Julia."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2023, 09:54:48 am »

B

The two Santas each have loan prices equal to 10,000 times their load, while the Estrela’s price is higher than that. Although the larger ship also needs proportionally fewer sailors (edit: nope, NQT is 100% right, it needs proportionally more), we also know that supplies may be limited, and there might not actually be enough goods to take full advantage of the Estrela’s drastically larger cargo hold.

Honestly, the Julia is just the Beatriz multiplied by 15/8.

(Edit: I’m pretty sure that the idea with the Estrela is that you’re paying for the ability to have better defenses. We’re not going in the primary pirate time, so we’re likely good.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 09:58:30 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20