Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37

Author Topic: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 16902 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Supernatural Mafia 11 - Day 1 Begins with the Ancestor's Blessings
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2023, 08:40:22 am »

Have we noticed people want to vote someone who isn't controversial? Other than the same pages telling newplayers to actually vote, why the shift to Caz newbies? Day 1 in a lynch that doesn't have any supporting info available to town, so you want to lynch someone who hasn't talked much since the start of the day?

While I can certainly say Caz was under the background, that's not inherently scummy, just suspicious.And smelling of elderberries.

An entire night, and nothing of value to poke at. Well, other than Toony not voting Elephant and suspecting Crystalized. (Despite my town read of them. Lot of talk against that, but still shades them from the light of a proper read position on them.)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2023, 09:41:23 am »

This miniature text box is honestly gonna give me an aneurysm. Pied piper comment should be directed towards Maximum Spin.

If you mean the box where you type your response, you can expand it by clicking and dragging down on the bottom of the box.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2023, 09:59:57 am »

Caz, you've spent practically all of your time calling out obviously bad posts for being obviously bad, which is a niche scum can fill as easily as town. What's something running through your head that I, or anyone, might actually disagree with?

So you agree that Toony is scum? Wild.

As it happens, Caz is still my #1 suspect—she posted a lot but never sought sustained engagement with one person or issue, nor did her sniping-type attacks demand it from others; I find that more suspicious than mere lurking. Unfortunately, she hasn't been online since I made that post, so I don't have much to go off of.

Is tunneling day 1 townie behaviour?
I don't like how you're answering my questions with questions here, especially given that timezones are likely going to delay an actual answer by several hours. I also don't like how your post is just a wall of quotes with little one-liners attached, though the length of time since your last post partially explains that.

I don't think Toony is scum, but I do think his opening post was useless (if funny). That's a no-brainer, hence it falling into your larger habit of sniping self-evidently dumb remarks and avoiding sustained engagement. I see how voting him might've led to sustained engagement, which makes me feel a bit better about you, but it hasn't in actuality (up until this moment?) because you've been offline.

It obviously isn't tunneling to post on the same topic for more than two posts in a row. It is scummy, on the other hand, to avoid sustained engagement, which is what gives people reason to think about you and material to analyze when they do.

Not unvoting; this could be entirely a legitimate playstyle difference, especially with the timezone issue, but I'm not convinced it is.

Have we noticed people want to vote someone who isn't controversial? Other than the same pages telling newplayers to actually vote, why the shift to Caz newbies? Day 1 in a lynch that doesn't have any supporting info available to town, so you want to lynch someone who hasn't talked much since the start of the day?

While I can certainly say Caz was under the background, that's not inherently scummy, just suspicious.And smelling of elderberries.

An entire night, and nothing of value to poke at. Well, other than Toony not voting Elephant and suspecting Crystalized. (Despite my town read of them. Lot of talk against that, but still shades them from the light of a proper read position on them.)
I think you mean newbie, singular: I've been voting Caz since yesterday morning, shortly after their previous burst of activity. I don't know why sofanthiel felt the need to add more pressure twelve hours later and I agree that it comes across as lazy; I'm still waiting on their answer to that.

(...)
Caz, you've spent practically all of your time calling out obviously bad posts for being obviously bad, which is a niche scum can fill as easily as town. What's something running through your head that I, or anyone, might actually disagree with?
I mean, I don't really like Elephant's vote here. I think it's picking Caz out as a target when I don't think their intent when voting me was malicious. I think if Caz was serious about their vote on me they're really likely town since it's so forceful for them.
It isn't about her voting you specifically; it's about her larger pattern of behavior:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

N.B. I'll be gone 3-4 hours before the lynch and I probably won't be back before it happens.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2023, 10:21:28 am »

I also don't like how your post is just a wall of quotes with little one-liners attached, though the length of time since your last post partially explains that.

Note to self: waste everyone’s time with walls of text to make myself look better.

I don't think Toony is scum, but I do think his opening post was useless (if funny). That's a no-brainer, hence it falling into your larger habit of sniping self-evidently dumb remarks and avoiding sustained engagement. I see how voting him might've led to sustained engagement, which makes me feel a bit better about you, but it hasn't in actuality (up until this moment?) because you've been offline.

It obviously isn't tunneling to post on the same topic for more than two posts in a row. It is scummy, on the other hand, to avoid sustained engagement, which is what gives people reason to think about you and material to analyze when they do.

It’s hard to engage when no one is actually around. I’m not getting suspicious of people that haven’t posted in the last 8hrs. I don’t actually see why you have a problem with my assessments of others posts and asking questions? They’re pretty clear to determine what I think of the player’s comments. If you can’t decipher that, well...

If you mean the box where you type your response, you can expand it by clicking and dragging down on the bottom of the box.

Thanks, my laptop doesn't seem to like it. I'm just cping to word processor. I forget how gibberish long posts can become in mafia.

Toony – voting Crystal is weak. I’m kinda annoyed that he didn’t get annoyed at me voting him though. Scum Toony always seemed… angrier. He’s annoyingly becoming less suspicious, but Toony is a good player, so... ugh. I keep getting the feeling that all this no lynch crap is somehow his doing to stop suspicion on one of the newbies. But why? Surely he doesn’t think it would ever work? I don’t get it.

Sofanthiel – just following along and little actual input at all.
Crystal – the least input of all other than Tric, so hard to read
TricMagic – annoying as Tric is, it seems like TownTric

One of: ToonyMan, Maximum Spin, Hector13, Elephant Parade.
And one of: Snowkiller, Crystalizedmire, sofanthiel, – if the NL mastermind theory is right, it’s one out of these three.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2023, 10:39:29 am »

I think Caz is right in her assessment.

Toony suggesting sofanthiel has been heavily engaged with the game makes… very little sense to me, so I’m alright leaving my vote there for the time being.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2023, 10:40:35 am »

What's with the nolynching obsession this game. It’s too widespread to be accidental.

Look, while I did consider day 1 no-lynching to be a legitimate strategy at the beginning, Tric's reply persuaded me:

More seriously, I'm in favor of a death, even if it's my death. The only reason not to lynch is if your role is better off with people alive. Which either paints you as mafia denying town info, or town with an investigative role. Or Cult, Cult is good too.

We've also got 11 people, so it's -2 per Day/Night cycle. 3 days of hitting town, 4 if one death if protected against. 5 if Mafia gets hit. Not Lynching puts us at a disadvantage numerically.

I can't speak for the other newbies, but when one can't control how others read their behavior, especially when very experienced players are present, making no enemies or decisions on day 1 means others are presented with little information to work with to figure out alignment/role.  Another thing is that, at least in regular in-person games, the mafia usually tends to target those who suspect them.  You would've lynched someone either way; we couldn't have convinced you otherwise, so our voting, given the difficulty of actually reaching a verdict, seemed superfluous.  Neutrality didn't strike me as a particularly bad approach for both survival and concealing my identity, although I did give it up after multiple people became agitated.
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2023, 10:43:47 am »

Walls of text are bad! So are one-line snipes that don't go anywhere! The ideal is a healthy in-between, which is where you're at right now. Unvote. Two more things, though:

I’m not getting suspicious of people that haven’t posted in the last 8hrs.
I genuinely don't see why you wouldn't.

I don’t actually see why you have a problem with my assessments of others posts and asking questions? They’re pretty clear to determine what I think of the player’s comments. If you can’t decipher that, well...
It isn't that I can't understand them; it's that I can't see how you expect (most of) them to provoke sustained engagement.

Stop rambling about lynch strategy and answer my question, sofanthiel:

My reasoning is that I found the following argument compelling:

Well, do you have anything to add to it?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2023, 10:51:50 am »

The Scribe's Tally Sheet
Caz: 1: sofanthiel
Hector13: 1: ToonyMan
Snowkiller: 1: Maximum Spin
sofanthiel: 2: Elephant Parade, Hector13
ToonyMan: 2: Caz, TricMagic
TricMagic: 1: Crystalizedmire

Day Ends ~5pm Pacific Today (8 hours)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 18, 2023, 10:56:25 am »

Toony – voting Crystal is weak. I’m kinda annoyed that he didn’t get annoyed at me voting him though. Scum Toony always seemed… angrier. He’s annoyingly becoming less suspicious, but Toony is a good player, so... ugh. I keep getting the feeling that all this no lynch crap is somehow his doing to stop suspicion on one of the newbies. But why? Surely he doesn’t think it would ever work? I don’t get it.
If Toony is mafia and is trying to direct suspicion away from one of the newbies, either Snowkiller or Sofanthiel is mafia because Toony already said they're suspicious of me and Snowkiller and Sofanthiel are the most vocal about nolynching.

I think Caz is right in her assessment.

Toony suggesting sofanthiel has been heavily engaged with the game makes… very little sense to me, so I’m alright leaving my vote there for the time being.
Hector is right because from my perspective I have been more active than either Sofanthiel or Snowkiller. But Toony is right to doubt me though because of my earlier comments. What I don't get is why I'm more suspicious than Sofanthiel or Snowkiller. Toony also said that if they can get around to it, they would vote me, Caz, or  Max in that order. Toony seems to think that I'm somehow more suspicious than any of the other newbies for some reason. So if Toony isn't scum then they're probably trying to act suspiciously on purpose which I doubt. While Tricmagic is still suspicious, I'm starting to think they're more annoying than anything else, and has since claimed they were acting suspicious on purpose.
she/her

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 18, 2023, 11:02:08 am »

This is why I think Crystallizedmire is the least suspicious of the newer players. They started off not really engaging, and have actually made an effort since then.

Should I slide my vote over to Toony? Let’s see what happens.

Toony
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 18, 2023, 11:02:41 am »

You summed it up pretty well in your original post, so the only things I can add are new developments.  I find it strange that Caz interpreted my voting for them as me somehow agreeing that it's Toony:

Oh, and I also don't agree with suspecting Snow for being indecisive:

This is even worse. You REALISE no lynching is bad, yet you still want to no lynch, yet you want to look good by acting martyr. You're my second pick, SnowKILLER.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 18, 2023, 11:05:50 am »

You summed it up pretty well in your original post, so the only things I can add are new developments.  I find it strange that Caz interpreted my voting for them as me somehow agreeing that it's Toony:

Oh, and I also don't agree with suspecting Snow for being indecisive:

This is even worse. You REALISE no lynching is bad, yet you still want to no lynch, yet you want to look good by acting martyr. You're my second pick, SnowKILLER.
OK, but those are new developments, i.e. developments that had not happened at the time of your original vote. Did you have anything to add then? If not, why did you use your vote to throw weight behind a post whose subject hadn't been online to reply to it?

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 18, 2023, 11:17:47 am »

Did you have anything to add then? If not, why did you use your vote to throw weight behind a post whose subject hadn't been online to reply to it?

EP, I agreed with your assessment long before voting, but, as I said in this post, I abstained.  I didn't just pick on Caz because they were inactive at the time.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 18, 2023, 11:25:22 am »

@Caz:
I'm not voting Crystal?

Look, I can't argue against a mastermind theory. I can prove you're wrong by voting whichever of the three players if I have to. I'm giving my honest opinion on the three of them.

@Crystal:
You're going about this the wrong way. Voting alongside Tric is a bad idea, especially after having just been voting them. Do you think Tric is fine now?

@Hector:
Blah blah I don't care if I die if it makes sofanthiel get towncred. If I'm not around it should show they're most likely player acting of their own accord unless Caz makes up a new mastermind.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 18, 2023, 11:25:28 am »

Did you have anything to add then? If not, why did you use your vote to throw weight behind a post whose subject hadn't been online to reply to it?
EP, I agreed with your assessment long before voting, but, as I said in this post, I abstained.  I didn't just pick on Caz because they were inactive at the time.
If you agreed anywhere, it was in the comfort of your skull; you didn't say anything about my assessment before your vote.

Are you saying you voted Caz solely because you found her the most suspicious player at that moment and for no other purpose?

I don't want to take my vote off sofanthiel but the day's almost over for me and I need to grill MaximumSpin, who I find even more suspicious. MS, I don't like how you pivoted from joking to bantering to mentoring to lurker-prodding to nothing. I'll give you points for attacking me, but you haven't actually presented your case, just alluded to it a couple of times:
Also Max, who will you be voting for once you’ve heard from Tric? Is Tric’s response going to have enough of an impact that you’re going to change your mind?
Hnnnnng. Unexpectedly, sort of.

Tric, you better plan on cleaning up all these barrels of town you've spilled all over.

Elephant Parade, when I was last in the thread, I thought you were noobtown and cryre was noobmafia. Can you pinpoint the moment this changed?
I'm surprised Max is memeing to be honest.
I wasn't really trying to meme, anyway. I just wanted to signal "shut up, stop rambling about the detailed history of the toilet and its itemized cleaning regimen, and flush it already".
I forget that not everyone has the awe-inspiring planetbrain to understand what I'm getting at at all times.

My vote is on sofanthiel/Snowkiller because they are stubbornly refusing to participate, though I accept they’re new and are uncertain. I don’t necessarily suspect them, but I want them to push people, even if it’s ineffectually.

Coincidentally, that’s why I moved away from Crystallizedmire.

Like… I’ve asked the same question four or five different times and they keep making excuses and talking about statistics and various things like that.

Would you want either (or both!) of them at M/LYLO, Toony?
This is why I have more faith in hector than in Mammoth Motorcade, by the way. If you were wondering.
I think you crept away from your push on me because nobody else bit and you didn't want to be the star of the show. Care to change my mind?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37