Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 209179 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #645 on: June 06, 2023, 03:42:21 am »

Meanwhile, Russians are shelling areas of the evacuation. Cunning people
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 06, 2023, 07:33:46 am »

Russians continue to be weird and incompetent with their propaganda; Here's a video supposedly from the dam's destruction from Russian sources. There's a few problems with this; the explosion clearly happened underwater with no sign of a shell impact, so if they're claiming it's Ukraine's fault (which they are) then how? Why was the camera man racing to film that exact spot and then sit there filming it? The dam's clearly already busted and my favorite; the dam failed late at night. They couldn't even wait for the sun to set to film this.

Though to me the rushed effort to create propaganda of it pretty much confirms to me that this is Russia's doing. And the particularly rushed nature of it makes me feel it was typical Russian incompetence that caused the failure and now in typical Russian fashion they're racing to assign blame away from them.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 06, 2023, 07:43:36 am »

Their propaganda doesn't target smart people, it targets the anti-establishment and conspiracy theorist crowd and they are quite good at presenting it in a way that will work on those people.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 06, 2023, 07:46:05 am »

I live on the black sea coast... Oh no, not Chernobyl again! I don't wanna eat irradiated finduk!
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 06, 2023, 11:50:43 am »

I live on the black sea coast... Oh no, not Chernobyl again! I don't wanna eat irradiated finduk!

That will come later when retreating Russians will blow up the NPP. Let's hope they'll merely destroy the engine room and the cooling system causing a minor local radioactive pollution, not annihilate the reactors.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2023, 12:40:10 pm »

Unfortunately I think destroying the dam is the first step in that. Doesn’t that dam supply water to cool the the plant at zaporzhizhia(sp?)?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 06, 2023, 12:46:00 pm »

Russians continue to be weird and incompetent with their propaganda; Here's a video supposedly from the dam's destruction from Russian sources.
If its real, maybe those are mines? Russia have made extensive use of mines around its defensive positions, in recent month some minefields were flooded and strong water flow may have disturbed them causing detonations.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 01:26:00 pm by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2023, 12:49:36 pm »

Unfortunately I think destroying the dam is the first step in that. Doesn’t that dam supply water to cool the the plant at zaporzhizhia(sp?)?

Yes, but its own cooling pool is full, water still can be pumped and it is currently turned off requiring far less cooling than during active operation.

I don't think that this NPP will ever produce electricity again but I still think that a nuclear disaster is unlikely (but far from impossible)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 06, 2023, 12:53:12 pm »

lots of misinformation being spread about that currently, varying from the obvious "Russia did it", "Ukraine did it" to apparently a lot of the "dam decided to give out on it's own"
Dams don't typically do that though, just think about how many major dams randomly do that in an average year. Not many, if any.
The timing of it, one day after the offensive has started would be ridiculous. I'm 100% certain this is deliberate misinformation being spammed to the internet.

The only reason dams don't collapse like this routinely is that the dam operators drain excess water via spillways. If you plug the spillways on, say, the Hoover Dam and let it fill up to the point water is going over the top, it's going to fail. As for the specific timing, the ground drying enough for an offensive also matches well to the time when the reservoir fills up enough to present an existential threat to the dam. It just failing now is entirely plausible within dam science.

It's Russia's fault either way - either they blew it up, or they neglected to operate it correctly until it failed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 06, 2023, 01:06:29 pm »

Natural dam failure would result in a collapse of one section, no?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 06, 2023, 01:11:26 pm »

The only reason dams don't collapse like this routinely is that the dam operators drain excess water via spillways.
Over the past however many months there have been reports of water being occasionally released from the dam to keep the water levels downstream high. I don't think they'd forget they can do it just now. Besides, the timing is just too on point to be accidental.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 06, 2023, 02:45:07 pm »

Welp. Zero fucking surprise there. :/
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 06, 2023, 03:46:22 pm »

What hurts me most is not military implications, not multibillion damages to economy, not even killed people...

Damage to nature will be colossal, there will be endemic species that will go extinct in that area.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 07, 2023, 12:23:59 am »

Freedom of Russia map of their raids in Belgrod Russia:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I feel it is not very accurate though, lets just say that if the real map was an emoji it would be an eggplant.

Here is an freedom of Russia legion interview with a Russian captive after an attack that clearly didn't well
https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/142nvwe/translated_the_freedom_of_russia_legion_speak/

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 07, 2023, 12:43:19 am »

If they're willing to blow up a dam I don't see why they wouldn't also blow up the NPP.

Guess it's time to start preparing for Chernobyl 2: Electric Boogaloo.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 159