Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 209156 times)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #615 on: June 01, 2023, 04:17:38 pm »

We have been in this mode+ (inb4 nuclear war or article 5) for over a year.. Yearly on the west has shielded Russia, leaving Ukraine and the west to bear the main burden of this protracted war in Ukraine, but slowly things have been changing as Russian deterrence got eroded away and it is now impotent to stop Ukraine taking the war into Russia, as it should.

In recent month we seen an uptick in drone[1] and sabotage attack against infrastructure inside Russia including military industrial complex, ammo and fuel depots, refineries, logistics like rail, air force bases etc. The recent attack in Moscow main effect is mostly symbolic in nature, it shows Putin military might at its nakedness undermining the Russian propaganda narrative and Putin power base at home, hopefully it will force Russia to improve defenses taking away resources from the front.

[1] The west didn't provide very long range weapons to Ukraine and secured a promise that they won't be used inside Russia, this is why all the fancy named tech land inside occupied Ukraine, and Ukrainian long range drones are sent inside Russia.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 04:37:05 pm by jipehog »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 02, 2023, 01:48:36 am »

I've never seen MP4 used as an image format before.

According to Dmitri Medvedev, the UK is waging 'an undeclared war against Russia'. He says that British officials who are in any way aiding Ukraine in it's fight are 'legitimate military targets'.
According to Medvedev, the UK is 'an eternal enemy' of Russia.

Inb4 article 5
I doubt they're gonna invoke article 5 because of that, especially since Russia has been saying shit like that the entire war.
Obviously just for saying it, nah. But if they actually do attack and kill a British official? I guess it depends if that happens on NATO soil or not.
I don't think Russia has the balls to do that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 02, 2023, 08:10:10 am »

I've never seen MP4 used as an image format before.

According to Dmitri Medvedev, the UK is waging 'an undeclared war against Russia'. He says that British officials who are in any way aiding Ukraine in it's fight are 'legitimate military targets'.
According to Medvedev, the UK is 'an eternal enemy' of Russia.

Inb4 article 5
I doubt they're gonna invoke article 5 because of that, especially since Russia has been saying shit like that the entire war.
Obviously just for saying it, nah. But if they actually do attack and kill a British official? I guess it depends if that happens on NATO soil or not.
I don't think Russia has the balls to do that.
It's possible Russia is just preparing for the scenario that their indiscriminate missile/artillery attacks into Ukraine's residential areas accidentally kills a visiting foreign dignitary.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 02, 2023, 12:42:34 pm »

Today in Finland, Anthony Blinken actually said it out loud
https://twitter.com/GwarWorin/status/1664678419475443712

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 02, 2023, 05:57:59 pm »

Blinken: ‘A ceasefire that simply freezes current lines in place and enables Putin to consolidate control over the territory he’s seized, and then rest, re-arm, and re-attack — that is not a just and lasting peace. It’s a Potemkin peace.’
I can't agree more.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 02, 2023, 09:11:42 pm »

But yeah... Well... That's the core of the whole issue.
We can not allow a extremist nazi country like Russia to get away with land grab, consolidate and re-arm just because the retard fuckers have nukes.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 03, 2023, 03:53:46 am »

Russia is like Germany 1943 (minus competent generals, cutting-edge military industry, and many people with ideas they are ready to fight for), they can prolong the war for a long time but not win it.

Their only chance is to use useful idiots to push for ceasefire.

Also, Russia is extremely unready for any internal unrest. Their army has no slightest idea how to fight insurgents. Their only working tactic is razing settlements to the ground and they are actively using it on Russian villages in the Belgorod region now. Won't work in Moscow
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 04, 2023, 08:48:56 am »

Russian nationalists (from both the Russian Volunteer Corps and the Freedom of Russia Legion) in Belgorod claim to have captured two Russian soldiers. They demand to speak to the governor of Belgorod, Vjatsjeslav Gladkov.
They set a deadline of 5 hours. If they haven't had a personal conversation with the governor by then, the soldiers will be executed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 04, 2023, 10:54:46 am »

Executed? Who the hell said that? I watched that video that said that they will release prisoners if he comes for a chat, they never said what they'll do otherwise (wiiiild guess - deliver them to Ukraine as POW)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 04, 2023, 01:17:00 pm »

Yeah, nothing about execution. https://www.reuters.com/article/ukraine-crisis-russia-belgorod-captives/russian-governor-offers-to-meet-group-holding-soldiers-captive-idUSKBN2XQ06O

'“Today until 17:00 you have the opportunity to communicate without weapons and take home two Russian citizens, ordinary soldiers whom you and your political leadership sent to the slaughter,” read a joint statement posted along with the video.' So they in fact are saying they are in favor of the soldiers' lives.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 04, 2023, 04:26:30 pm »

The Russian soldiers will be sent to Kyiv for prisoner exchanges.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/04/pro-ukraine-group-of-russian-partisans-will-hand-captured-soldiers-to-kyiv

The real question is whether the partisans will get the same treatment if they're captured. My guess is....no

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 04, 2023, 11:32:39 pm »

Meanwhile, Wagner has detained and beaten a lieutenant colonel of the Russian Army and made him confess some bullshit on camera. Russian armed forces are such a joke at this point.

One impression I have from reading the Russian "patriotic" part of social media is that they despise their own army for the failure to defeat such an inferior opponent as Ukraine. It will be so fun when they'll come back home with PTSD and get a "you are a pathetic loser" attitude from friends and relatives.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 05, 2023, 12:38:36 am »

Everyone loves a winner, and despises a loser.

Wagner's myth will probably grow, and the conventional army will probably find their veterans joining anti-government factions for support.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 05, 2023, 03:28:00 am »

Russia, Belgorod: It's fine.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 159