Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 159

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 209041 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #390 on: May 09, 2023, 03:24:26 am »

Putin's depressed face, marching cadets, no tanks, no IFVs, no artillery... I loved this Victory Day parade.
I find this whole thing incredibly funny, and just imagine how depressed looking he will be at next years parade, if he's still alive...

Do you think they will allow him to watch victorious Ukrainian forces marching on the Red Square?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 09, 2023, 04:58:22 pm »

Putin's depressed face, marching cadets, no tanks, no IFVs, no artillery... I loved this Victory Day parade.
I find this whole thing incredibly funny, and just imagine how depressed looking he will be at next years parade, if he's still alive...

Do you think they will allow him to watch victorious Ukrainian forces marching on the Red Square?
I imagine that his corpse will have a proud, stern expression upon it as they drag his coffin down the street...

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 10, 2023, 01:47:49 am »

I doubt there's much they can do to stop him from watching from his place in Hell.

Also what the hell I responded to this yesterday and it's nowhere to be seen.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2023, 03:51:54 am »

Prigozhin didn't retreat, made few jibes at Putin and the MoD but nothing major, I hoped for a little more discord
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 02:46:36 pm by jipehog »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #394 on: May 10, 2023, 12:17:20 pm »

The band should have started playing viva la vida

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 10, 2023, 01:15:49 pm »

Saw a video of a Russian soldier surrendering to a Ukrainian drone. Felt weirdly heartwarming, and I'm not really sure why. It's nice to see someone not getting shot, but I don't know where the specifically heartwarming part came from.

Apparently the guy did get shot by his own side (And you can see him limping later in the video when he didn't have one at the beginning) but made it over and received treatment apparently.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 11, 2023, 01:37:47 am »

Looks like the first noticeable counterattack is on Bakhmut's flanks. It would be nice to get Wagner surrounded and make the battle for Bakhmut even more similar to a scaled-down version of the battle for Stalingrad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 02:54:53 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2023, 02:45:51 am »

Looks like the first noticeable counterattack is on Bakhmut's flanks. It would be nice to get Wagner surround and make the battle for Bakhmut even more similar to a scaled-down version of the battle for Stalingrad
I absolutely love the putinbot copium, saying they're just doing a tactical retreat. Just like Kherson xD

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 11, 2023, 04:46:18 am »

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/11/politics/uk-storm-shadow-cruise-missiles-ukraine/index.html

The United Kingdom has supplied Ukraine with multiple Storm Shadow cruise missiles, giving Ukrainian forces a new long-range strike capability in advance of a highly anticipated counteroffensive against Russian forces, multiple senior Western officials told CNN.

This may have a major impact.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 11, 2023, 05:04:29 am »

There have been some talk of counteroffensive around Bakhmut for months (like everywhere else) but recent attacks in Bakhmut seem to mainly exploit troop repositioning in preparation for Ukrainian counteroffensive like everywhere else.

It seem that the Russian units involved aren't wagner, presumably it means that MOD decided that offensive around Bakhmut has culminated whether Prigozhin like it or not. If so then its too bad, I was really happy about Prigozhin steering the pot and wasting more shells when there are talks that the rest of the fronts being rationed in preparation of the attack.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:02:21 am by jipehog »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 11, 2023, 05:56:42 am »

The fact that both sides have been so convinced of the need to grind up against each other for Bakhmut (and waaay beyond "well, we thought we could prevail, once, and now we're sinking more good effort after bad) highly suggests a couple of main possibilities (and a few possible alternatives) to me about all sides' future aims on the front. I know what I think is most likely, but I'm not going to say it out loud. (Probably plain wrong. Or, worse, I'd be far too right for comfort.) But it's perhaps born of too much tabletop-campaigning, when I was young. Which I was never actually all that successful in, even if I apparently had the right sort of strategy on occasion.

Having the Russians withdrawing civvies/workers from around Zaporizhzhia NPS certainly doesn't rule out any of my top ideas about what the power-playing is going to result in.

(Isn't the Storm Shadow an air-launched system? That implies... something. Well, one of several possible somethings, but probably not the naively obvious ones.)

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 11, 2023, 06:34:30 am »

Common thought is that Bakhmut have no strategic value but the the high ground position there overlooks the regional logistics and transport hub road and rail. Russia offensive seemed to be focused on securing logistics after the huge loss of the northern access though Kupiansk to lyamn. Once they secure an area they don't push further which is presumably why Ukraine thought to keep them engaged.

Bakhmut also have significant political value for Russia, which struggle to make gains in Donetsk region, and isn't just fighting on the fronts but also to integrate these regions with various schemes
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 06:36:39 am by jipehog »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 11, 2023, 07:01:01 am »

Remember that the main goal of a proper military is protecting its civilians. More civilians will lose their homes and lives if Ukraine retreats to defensive positions further west. 250K-sized Kramatorks-Slovyansk agglomeration will be next after the fall of Bakhmut and nearby settlements.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 11, 2023, 07:25:09 am »

The fact that both sides have been so convinced of the need to grind up against each other for Bakhmut (and waaay beyond "well, we thought we could prevail, once, and now we're sinking more good effort after bad) highly suggests a couple of main possibilities (and a few possible alternatives) to me about all sides' future aims on the front. I know what I think is most likely, but I'm not going to say it out loud. (Probably plain wrong. Or, worse, I'd be far too right for comfort.) But it's perhaps born of too much tabletop-campaigning, when I was young. Which I was never actually all that successful in, even if I apparently had the right sort of strategy on occasion.

Heavy as Ukrainian casualties have been in Bakhmut, everything we know suggests that Russia's are far heavier. Whatever the state of Russian manpower, all evidence is that Russia has far less ability to replace equipment than Ukraine does due to Western aid.  Not to mention that the Russians have expended (and Ukraine has bombed) a massive amount of increasingly priceless ammunition here. This war, like many wars, is likely to come down to a battle of attrition. And in a battle of attrition, you have to actually atrit the enemy.

Pinning down so much Russian combat power in one spot has also greatly relieved pressure on other parts of the front and allowed localized probes/assaults elsewhere to succeed, which is valuable in and of itself.

(Isn't the Storm Shadow an air-launched system? That implies... something. Well, one of several possible somethings, but probably not the naively obvious ones.)

The most obvious would be that they managed to integrate the missile onto existing Ukrainian Migs, the same way that HARM and JDAM have been kludged on. The other possibility is that they've adapted the naval version that the French use on ships and submarines for a ground launch vehicle. Any other option would have to be provided in advance of the missiles, and the sources say that the UK has supplied, not will supply. This strongly suggests that they're either in transit or already in-country. So there has to be an ability to launch them now, not in some nebulous future.

Storm Shadow is a nasty, nasty weapon. A combination of terrain following with outright stealth technology will make it extremely difficult to intercept, it not only has the now-standard GPS guidance but an onboard camera for even greater accuracy, and an extremely powerful two-stage warhead (there's a shaped charge in front of the main warhead, which clears away any debris and opens an initial hole for the main one to detonate in, dramatically increasing penetration and damage) will obliterate the majority of possible targets. It also has either a 250km range (export version) or a nearly 600km range (for the version used by the UK's military). Supply will be a problem (there's only been a few thousand made if they're being supplied from stocks, and if they're being delivered straight from the factory production rate is likely low), but even the short-legged version will be able to hit just about anywhere in Crimea. If these sources are correct (and there's lots of reason to think it is), a lot of very bad people just got a lot less safe.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 11, 2023, 07:44:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 159