Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 143

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0  (Read 103193 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Trollbait 2.0
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2023, 11:28:02 pm »

I think Prigozhin has started his attempt to become Putin's successor and this is why he attacks the most likely candidate - Shoigu.  Russia is entering a very amusing political crisis and my only regret that I can't spectate this marvelous show from a safe distance.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 07, 2023, 01:43:57 am »

If they vote in someone else in whoever it is they pick to replace Putin is probably going to just be Putin 2: Electric boogaloo.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 07, 2023, 12:48:15 pm »

Zakhar Prilepin, writer and rapper, is not really pro Putin but he is ultra nationalist and pro invasion of Ukraine. He has criticized the army for not being succesful and has criticized Putin telling him that he needs to step down. So yes, he is an asshole, yes I hope they try again, but no, he's not really pro-Putin.

The bomb could again have come from anyone.
Any connection to Prigozhin ?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2023, 02:18:37 pm »

Also unpleasant images from Bakhmut struck by white phosphorous
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1654605507070402560

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2023, 03:17:43 pm »

I was under the impression it wasn’t able to be identified as WP, though regardless, using incendiary ammunition on civilian infrastructure, irrespective of the presence of civilians, is probably a war crime.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2023, 03:30:29 pm »

I heard someone say it is magnesium munitions instead, but magnesium burns bright white and white phosphorus burns a more characteristic yellow-orange.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 07, 2023, 03:34:19 pm »

As far as I know, usually, when Russians are using incendiaries, it is 122mm Grad 9M22S Rocket which is magnesium + termite
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 07, 2023, 03:53:43 pm »

Quite a mental image... But https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termite => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Given the subject, doesn't really deserve a smiley. Whether an innocent typo or an innocent phonetic confusion (from someone far better at English than I am at anything non-English). Yet there is always the vague possbility that ballistic chemical warfare insects are involved, right?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 04:00:15 pm by Starver »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 07, 2023, 04:41:32 pm »

using incendiary ammunition on civilian infrastructure, irrespective of the presence of civilians, is probably a war crime.

Legally, no. Incendiaries cannot be used directly on civilians, and they cannot be air-dropped in areas where civilians are likely to be present (a holdover from days when air attack was far less accurate that ground-fired artillery). Using such weapons from ground launchers on strictly military targets, even if those targets are located in buildings built by and for civilians, is not in and of itself a war crime. Russia's committing enough blatant war crimes for this to be irrelevant, however.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 07, 2023, 05:01:20 pm »

Ukraine captured a fair number of both incendiary and cluster munitions... And not being thieves, we do return those to the rightful owners.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 07, 2023, 09:46:40 pm »

If they vote in someone else in whoever it is they pick to replace Putin is probably going to just be Putin 2: Electric boogaloo.
It's more likely if Putin is removed (and most likely it will involve Putin's death) that Russia will implode.  Sure, whomever ends up in charge will probably be awful, but they still need to call off the war on account of needing those troops to take control.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 08, 2023, 04:10:00 am »

Quite a mental image... But https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termite => https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Given the subject, doesn't really deserve a smiley. Whether an innocent typo or an innocent phonetic confusion (from someone far better at English than I am at anything non-English). Yet there is always the vague possbility that ballistic chemical warfare insects are involved, right?
In Russian they not only are spelled the same (термит) but pronounced the same. I assume it's the same in Ukrainian.

And yeah we are fucked, I might have to move before finishing college. A-fucking-wesome.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 08, 2023, 06:57:41 am »

As far as I know, usually, when Russians are using incendiaries, it is 122mm Grad 9M22S Rocket which is magnesium + termite
Could be. Though outside of name recognition there is little difference between the two in the field. Otherwise, I think this hellish scene impress the savage nature of war wage upon Ukraine more so when contrasted with things like the Kremlin "assassination" drone

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2023, 08:25:22 am »

In Russian they not only are spelled the same (термит) but pronounced the same. I assume it's the same in Ukrainian.
Aye, I suspected something as much. Or certainly one of those things that certain non-Anglophones are (perhaps stereotypically) inclined to say[1], whatever their native words/typography might be, and so induce a phonetic 'thinko' rather than a mis-keyed 'typo'. Forgive my mischievousness, but I had actually not long ago been reading about the chemical-shooting ('headcannon'!) termites.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: May 08, 2023, 09:06:08 am »

Chekov's accent in TOS doesn't really sound very much like a real Russian accent.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 143