Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Hunter's Call (IC)  (Read 5161 times)

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Call (IC)
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2022, 10:17:58 am »

"Eh, I didn't have much of a plan for it anyways, other than eating it."

Pass my Sinker share to Landon, sell my Shark share.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2022, 05:46:28 pm »

So if I understand this correctly, each monster (or part thereof) will generally have both a "Material" and a "Comsumable" portion to it on account of the fact that "Monster's edible parts are different than their functional parts". This means that each of us has both edible monster parts and material monster parts.

As a result, I think that the below is actually a legitimate action that I can attempt to do all of the following things in the following order with my share of the loot:
- Combine my three very low quality Shark Corpses into 1 low quality Shark Corpse
- Consume 1 low quality Ship Sinker Piece's edible component to gain the "Superior Grip" perk.
- Consume 1 low quality Shark edible compenent to gain the "Pack Tactics" perk
- Use the low quality Ship Sinker Piece's material component to craft "Ship Gripper Gloves"
- Offer to trade the low quality Shark Corpse material component to another player (Or sell if it nobody is willing to trade something else for it).

Is this a thing I can do, or am I misunderstanding something?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2022, 06:38:06 pm »

So if I understand this correctly, each monster (or part thereof) will generally have both a "Material" and a "Comsumable" portion to it on account of the fact that "Monster's edible parts are different than their functional parts". This means that each of us has both edible monster parts and material monster parts.

As a result, I think that the below is actually a legitimate action that I can attempt to do all of the following things in the following order with my share of the loot:
- Combine my three very low quality Shark Corpses into 1 low quality Shark Corpse
- Consume 1 low quality Ship Sinker Piece's edible component to gain the "Superior Grip" perk.
- Consume 1 low quality Shark edible compenent to gain the "Pack Tactics" perk
- Use the low quality Ship Sinker Piece's material component to craft "Ship Gripper Gloves"
- Offer to trade the low quality Shark Corpse material component to another player (Or sell if it nobody is willing to trade something else for it).

Is this a thing I can do, or am I misunderstanding something?

Misunderstanding based on my poor explanation. The consumable portion is being tracked separately, for functional purposes you have one unit of “Monster Meat” in addition to your monster components worth 1/3 of a stat point. This is some combination of the edible parts of both the Sinker and the sharks with roughly equivalent amount of Mana. Eating a monster does not generally give you its powers, just its energy. The exceptions generally involve Hunters using a special skill to activate the abilities temporarily, and since nobody picked up the cooking class we won’t have that in the party for some time.

So you could do roughly half those things, but they all sound valid as their own Perk. If you would rather have a perk than a stat gain then you can trade your Meat to another player for their part, or sell it to a merchant. If you can get one player to give you their Sinker piece you could believably get all three feats.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2022, 06:58:12 pm »

Perhaps I could convince you to give us an explanation that will not leave any doubt about how things work?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2022, 07:12:32 pm »

You get some meat to eat and some parts to use.

Eating the meat is equivalent to EXP you can use to increase stats after you get enough of it.
The parts are what you use for crafting new items and putting feats in your equipment.
You can trade out three parts of a level for one part of the same level from some other beast, if you want a feat unrelated to the monster you just hunted.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2022, 07:24:00 pm »

Perhaps more importantly, the meat is just a story contrivance. It doesn't do anything on its own and should be ignored at this stage. Just think of it as having one point of XP. Really, Stirk should have separated it from the rest completely. You would need to use the non-edible parts to get new feats.

It's pretty straightforward, honestly.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2022, 07:49:18 pm »

Perhaps I could convince you to give us an explanation that will not leave any doubt about how things work?

I can try, but since everyone else already did it probably better than me I'll just add on to theirs. Unless you wanted a lore dump.

You get some meat to eat and some parts to use.

Eating the meat is equivalent to EXP you can use to increase stats after you get enough of it.
The parts are what you use for crafting new items and putting feats in your equipment.
You can trade out three parts of a level for one part of the same level from some other beast, if you want a feat unrelated to the monster you just hunted.

Turned my multi-paragraph explanation into three sentences.

I'll point out that the trade doesn't necessarily have to be a monster part and is meant to be open ended.

Perhaps more importantly, the meat is just a story contrivance. It doesn't do anything on its own and should be ignored at this stage. Just think of it as having one point of XP. Really, Stirk should have separated it from the rest completely. You would need to use the non-edible parts to get new feats.

It's pretty straightforward, honestly.

I'll also point out while it is totally a story contrivance it is also a physical thing that you can transfer to other people or sell if you really want. If you all gave your meat to one person, they would have enough to level up a non-speed stat.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2022, 01:52:51 am »

"Eh, I didn't have much of a plan for it anyways, other than eating it."

Pass my Sinker share to Landon, sell my Shark share.

"Many thanks! Anybody else? Just one more o' these things, and I should be able to combine em. Who don't wanna travel with someone who carries healing? Hell, if yer lucky, perhaps adding some mana rich strings to me mandolin might even make the music more tolerable!"

Landon offers a slight chuckle at his own self depreciating joke.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2022, 07:34:17 pm »

So to be clear, what we actually get is 1 perk, and only the material from the monsters?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2022, 07:41:46 pm »

So to be clear, what we actually get is 1 perk, and only the material from the monsters?
If by perk you mean feat, then that has nothing to do with the eating.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2022, 07:50:39 pm »

What you have as a group is:
5 Parts Monster Meat worth 1/3 a stat point each
5 Ship Sinker parts worth 1 Low Quality Feat each, as long is it is related to the Ship Sinker's ability
15 Wolf Shark parts worth 1 Very Low Quality Feat each, as long as it is related to the Wolf Shark's ability.

So assuming you don't share you can get:
1/3 a Stat point
1 Ship Sinker Perk
3 Wolf Shark perks, or 1 Very Low Quality Perk without the limit, or 1 Low Quality Wolfshark Perk

To remove all the fluff that might be confusing.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2022, 08:11:00 pm »

Incidentally, it seems like it should be possible to trade one part for any part of the next lower quality, too, since that's formally equivalent to trading three lower-quality parts.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2022, 08:16:42 pm »

Incidentally, it seems like it should be possible to trade one part for any part of the next lower quality, too, since that's formally equivalent to trading three lower-quality parts.

Sure, I didn't consider the possibility but it seems fair enough.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2022, 09:18:23 pm »

So does each 'part' work only as a crafting material or as an edible? I'm still confused.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2022, 09:26:28 pm »

So does each 'part' work only as a crafting material or as an edible? I'm still confused.

Crafting material - something like the mandolin or spears discussed earlier is the idea.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9