Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Hunter's Call (IC)  (Read 5094 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Call (IC)
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2022, 09:40:24 pm »

Okay. I still have not got a clear explanation on how things work, and I have received multiple contradictory explanations on how this works. This is my best guess so far, but it is only a guess. Please let me know if I am correct, or if I am wrong.

The total loot each player got consists of 1 Low Quality Ship Sinker Part and 3 Very Low Quality Wolf Shark Parts.
For each part you have, you can do only one of the following things:
- Obtain a perk related to the creature
- Craft an armor or weapon with a quality level equal to the part
- Contribute to future stat growth by eating it
- Trade (Either with a player, or an NPC for a part of lower quality)
And you can combine 3 parts of the same type for a higher quality level part of the same monster

Is this correct? If not, please explain it properly.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2022, 09:46:22 pm »

For each part you have, you can do only one of the following things:
- Obtain a perk related to the creature
- Craft an armor or weapon with a quality level equal to the part
- Trade (Either with a player, or an NPC for a part of lower quality)
And you can combine 3 parts of the same type for a higher quality level part of the same monster

Correct

- Contribute to future stat growth by eating it

Incorrect. That is a separate thing.

Is that clear?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2022, 11:00:00 pm »

Its clear enough for me to use the loot, and that's what matters.

I'll use my share of the loot to get the following perks:
- Ship Gripper: Superior Grip
- Wolf Shark: Pack Tactics
- Wolf Shark: Slippery Defense
- Wolf Shark: Water Adaptation
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2022, 01:31:16 pm »

For the record all Feats are currently suggestions. If you want them to do something else just suggest what that should be and we can change it.

"Eh, I didn't have much of a plan for it anyways, other than eating it."

Pass my Sinker share to Landon, sell my Shark share.

"Many thanks! Anybody else? Just one more o' these things, and I should be able to combine em. Who don't wanna travel with someone who carries healing? Hell, if yer lucky, perhaps adding some mana rich strings to me mandolin might even make the music more tolerable!"

Landon offers a slight chuckle at his own self depreciating joke.

Star Mandolin: A mandolin with strings made from the radial canal of a Star Sinker. When plucked, Star Sinker cells are released into the surrounding air and into the respiratory system of nearby organisms. If the strings have enough Mana, they will regenerate this microscopic damage and more importantly heal everyone in range (including enemies) for 1d6 damage. This effect cost 1 Fate point to activate.

The bearded Hunter strokes his beard. "Instrument strings eh? I don't see any intestines that would make particularly good strings. Mostly just looks to be stomach here". He pulls out a handful of stomach to illustrate his point. "We might be able to use...this part if we treat it a bit. Sound will probably be off until you get used to the new strings." He pulls out another part that looks more like a bone than a gut. "Best we have to work with. Ah Haha! I never introduced myself to you have I? Well I'm something of a craftsman. I'm stuck here anyway so I may as well help everyone get some gear going. If you need to make anything you can use my equipment down deck. Or I can hammer it out for you if I'm not to busy."

"Eh, I didn't have much of a plan for it anyways, other than eating it."

Pass my Sinker share to Landon, sell my Shark share.

Selling your Sharks involves going below deck. You end up negotiating with the monkey-owning Merchant, the only one who doesn't seem at all shaken by the giant monster attack. He tests the shark with his own scratch test. As mana increases the physical properties of items, hardness is one popular way to test the quality of materials that are supposed to be hard. There is no internationally recognized standard so everyone end up with their own approximate measure of quality, usually a set of the same type of stone from low and high fertility areas around their home nation. The shark pieces fall on the lower portion giving them a fairly low value for monster pieces.

You then negotiate on payment. Mana has inherent value, as the merchant tells you, as Alchemy can be used to transfer it form one item to another. So many merchants in the new world use items with easily measured mana as a form of currency. Since monsters gather mana throughout their whole life they have a high amount of mana compared to most material, so often alchemecally boosted material is used as an equivalent (if they do not simply process the monster in a way that allows for long term storage and trading.)

He offers you your choice of a small fur, set of glass beads, or shell fragment worth equivalent mana to the three sharks as a form of currency.

You now have enough trade value to get one Very Low Quality purchase!

Its clear enough for me to use the loot, and that's what matters.

I'll use my share of the loot to get the following perks:
- Ship Gripper: Superior Grip
- Wolf Shark: Pack Tactics
- Wolf Shark: Slippery Defense
- Wolf Shark: Water Adaptation

Superior Grip: Your gloves where modified to add the smaller spikes from the underside of the tentacle to the palm of your glove, giving you a grip no matter how slick the target is. +1 DEF against attacks from targets attempting to break your Restraint.

Pack Tactics: Wolf Sharks use their lateral lines in order to efficiently school while hunting. By removing these scales, adding the mana from the rest of the shark, and then working them into your armor you are able to use some measure of the same ability. Essentially this detects changes in the surrounding pressure so you know where your comrades are without having to look. Hairs from the lateral line tickle the side of your skin to tell you when the pressure has changed. With some training, you are able to use this to read where people are and what they are doing. Unfortunately at this stage it is difficult to read during combat conditions on land. 1/3 chance to add +1 to attacks on targets that other players have also attacked during this turn. You may also use it to detect close-range sneak attacks.

Slippery Defense/Water Adaptation: Remembering the Wolf Shark slipping out of his grip, Aku no doubt sought to recreate this ability for his own use. Scales from the wolf sharks where removed and glued together using fish glue made from other portions of the shark. The end result was something visibly resembling a scale armor made of shark scales. Despite appearances this allows him to move through water more easily than an unequipped human, the scales allowing him to move as easily as if he where in air. While the scales are not powerful enough to provide a significant defense they are capable of deflecting attacks when wet, including when fully under water. +1 defense when wet. +1 to attack and defense while under water.

"Haha! This man must have grown so large from all the big ideas in his head! We can make these all happen, but we may need some Alchemy to do it right."

"I may, perhaps, offer my services there." This time it was the Eastern Hunter making himself known. "I am an Alchemist searching the new world for ingredients that may perhaps unlock the secret to immortality. It may perhaps be compared to a pilgrimage in your culture's religion. It is known that sharks do not suffer from many of the diseases of man, and the Sinker's regeneration has obvious implications to my research. I would happily perform alchemy on these parts free of charge with acceptable fidelity."

Alchemy is a process that is both simple and difficult. It involves leaching the mana from a material with a liquid and soaking it into a second material. While anyone can potentially do it, if it is not done by an expert much of the Mana will be "lost" in either impurities in the liquid, to the equipment used for the leaching, to the atmosphere, or other such mishaps. All alchemical mana transfers will loose some Mana as a rule of alchemy, though some Alchemists suggest that a mana transfer done in a vacuum with perfectly pure ingredients may be able to circumvent this rule. Likewise transfer between "like" material takes less time and thus looses less mana. It is therefore more efficient to perform alchemy with similar material than it is for vastly different material.

"I have little room to set up on this ship, but if it is just transferring one part of the shark to another I would have little need for much room."

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2022, 06:43:45 am »

Writer's block :x

edit: For now I will just eat my parts, how uninspired!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2022, 07:33:41 pm »

I'll trade Landon my Star Sinker share in exchange for his Wolf Shark share, if I can also get someone else's Wolf Shark share so that I have nine and can level them twice. Nakéen, you interested? I'll owe you for it. It won't interfere with your lunch, as established.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2022, 09:10:06 pm »

Sure thing, I have no idea what to do at the moment with my Wolf Shark share. You can have it for a nebulous favour!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2022, 01:55:42 am »

I'll trade Landon my Star Sinker share in exchange for his Wolf Shark share, if I can also get someone else's Wolf Shark share so that I have nine and can level them twice. Nakéen, you interested? I'll owe you for it. It won't interfere with your lunch, as established.

Landon will take that deal.

Star Mandolin: A mandolin with strings made from the radial canal of a Star Sinker. When plucked, Star Sinker cells are released into the surrounding air and into the respiratory system of nearby organisms. If the strings have enough Mana, they will regenerate this microscopic damage and more importantly heal everyone in range (including enemies) for 1d6 damage. This effect cost 1 Fate point to activate.

Is this a low quality boon? It looks like I got the three pieces I need to do Normal Quality (Or whatever you call the quality above low) now.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2022, 04:36:29 am »

Cool. That means I'll use my nine shark pieces to make a whatever-tier Sharktooth Spear feat. I imagine it inflicting a bleeding status, but I'll see what Stirk comes up with.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2022, 10:50:18 pm »

Cool. That means I'll use my nine shark pieces to make a whatever-tier Sharktooth Spear feat. I imagine it inflicting a bleeding status, but I'll see what Stirk comes up with.

I totally independently came up with bleeding status. After Low Quality is the vaunted Poor Quality, congratulations on reaching these heights!

Sharktooth Spear: The head of this spear is replaced by the oddly-shaped Wolf Shark tooth. Befitting their hunting tactic the teeth are designed to pull a bite of flesh away, which the shark then runs away with. This spear holds a similar tactic, ripping off a chunk of flesh when it is removed from the target. Once a spear is removed, the target takes 3 damage per turn until they pass an unmodified Defense test against the attacker's Attack from bleed damage. Spears can be removed for free as part of another action. The Damage from this Feat ignores armor.

Landon will take that deal.

Is this a low quality boon? It looks like I got the three pieces I need to do Normal Quality (Or whatever you call the quality above low) now.

It was. Upgrade time! It is now Poor Quality!

Star Mandolin: A mandolin with strings made from the radial canal of a Star Sinker. When plucked, Star Sinker cells are released into the surrounding air and into the respiratory system of nearby organisms. If the strings have enough Mana, they will regenerate this microscopic damage and more importantly heal everyone in range (including enemies) for 1d8 damage. This effect cost 1 Fate point to activate.

Writer's block :x

edit: For now I will just eat my parts, how uninspired!

Chef hunter cleans off her knife.

"Ship's charter cheaped out when they hired the cookey. Feel bad if I didn't whip up something if everyone else is chipping in. Give me the eating parts and a bit of your grog rations and I'll cook up something at least worth eating. I'll take the galley by force if I need to."

PLOT STUFF STARTS HERE

And so your group begins preparing the corpses with the assistance of the other hunters. Once it was established what parts you would use, the "spare" parts where sectioned away for disposal. Those that could be kept a long time where sold on the market for spending money. Those that would rot where instead alchemically combined with either the food portion or equipment portion so their mana would not go to waste.

The rest of your trip was uneventful for those who chose not to work. As Eich went below he was set upon by the preacher, who rather forcibly treated his wounds while chiding the man for not getting medical attention sooner. Using the fact you had saved the ship and all upon it as leverage, the Hunters moved their equipment into the passenger section of the ship, taking up no small amount of space. From there they began working on their secondary trade, or providing a space for you to work on your equipment should you prefer to work on your gear with your own two hands.

One by one the weapons, armor, and modifications came into the Hunter's possession. For the first few days you dined on deep-fried and grilled Star Sinker along with Wolf Shark stew. Sinker flesh tasted like eating the ocean itself, a natural briny flavor the chef hunter chose not to cover up. Poison had to be carefully removed before hand, and its mana was transferred to equipment by alchemy. Wolf Shark had little flavor itself, instead the soup tasted like the grog used for the broth - but with a higher Mana content leading to a stronger citrus flavor that overall made it more tolerable to drink. Afterwords you had to do with preserved versions of the above, and while they where served in a variety of ways from stew to pies the overwhelming taste was the salt used in their preservation leading to a rather monotonous mealtime.

In time the shout came from above. "LAND HO!". The Zepher has reached the new world. Its passengers eagerly ran from their cramped confines to dry land, stretching in the sun just outside the wooden docks.

You've arrived in Foothold! You take your first steps on the land across the ocean. While much smaller than the cities of the Old World, Foothold is one of the largest settlements in the New World. By appearances it is something like a military fort surrounded by earthworks and palisade, with no fields stretching into the distance. Said defenses are almost entirely to discourage the monster that walks on two legs - the town itself is built on low-fertility soil that powerful monsters wouldn't look twice at. The buildings lining the dirt street are in almost random styles. Most of the large and expensive buildings are of brick. Smaller buildings are either of log or wood, some built into the ground, some with thatched roofs, some where simply tents with a wooden frame. Some of said tents where outside the Foothold's walls, though most of the more permanent structures where safely nuzzled inside.

Many of the Old World's comforts are available here thanks to its status as a port town. The buildings closest to the docks offer services and equipment of interest to those arriving after a long journey; drinks, beds, and weapons of varying quality. Merchant's shops can be found further inside the city, offering both familiar Old World goods and exotic New World goods. The largest building in town is the Governor's Mansion, a multi story building on an artificial hill in the center of town making for a handy landmark for those walking Foothold's streets. The second largest building is the Traditionalist Church, positioned closer to the ocean. Third is the lighthouse.

You can certainly take advantage of anything this town offers - but as Hunters your profession is one that takes you to the wilderness. So perhaps talking about the wilderness surrounding the city is more relevant?

As you are familiar with, to your East is the Ocean. The Ocean contains many nautical monsters, and a good range of fertility. Around the town the fertility is poor, a blessed thing as it allows the port to be safe. There are known areas of relatively high fertility such as the Devil's Reef, a popular place for the bravest fishermen to try their luck. Of course it is difficult to accurately gauge just how strong the local monsters might be, you could easily end up biting off more than you can chew in the ocean.

To the West in the far distance is the Giant's Rest mountains. You can see them even from here, tall blue mountains with white tops. Some people say the range looks like a man lying down, with his face to the south west and is feet to the north west, giving the range its name. There is a known safe path to a series of smaller villages with a road leading to them, with several medium-fertility farms and forests if you decide to leave the path. Most of this land is forested, with tall pine trees dominating the landscape. If you pass the mountains you can continue further west - where there are said to be more powerful monsters.

To the South is a series of mostly flat plains, once you pass the forested section around Foothold. It is said that particularly large monsters graze here. While most of it is medium fertility, it is considered particularly dangerous as Monster can see you from a long distance off and there is little you can do to escape their gaze once it find you. Far past the plains are said to be jungle terrain. More port towns along the ocean, and most people traveling South tend to use ships that hug the shore line rather than make a path through the plains.

Finally to the North is forest land similar to the west, leading up to tundra if you go far enough. The weather is thought to be more dangerous that the monsters. That isn't to say there are no areas of higher fertility, it is simply that in those areas the high-mana snow will be much colder than most people can handle. This actually makes it safer than many other areas, as you can tell if you've gone into something over your head by how cold it is. For the most part it is considered the safest cardinal direction overall. Despite this there are few settlements once you hit the tundra, aside from a few farms that have discovered food that grows best in cold climates and Hunters who have no need of growing things.

From here the players have a choice. You can go on a Free Hunt . This simply involves going to an area, seeing what you can find, and killing it if you want to. The New World is filled with monsters, finding one in any particular terrain is no difficult task. Simply vote on a free hunt, the fertility level you want to go to, and the terrain you want to hunt in.

If you do not want to go on a Free Hunt you can instead go on a Rumor Hunt. Rumor Hunts involve staying around a settled area and putting your ear to the street. Rumor Hunts are their own mini plots, things like guiding settlers to a new town or hunting down a specific monster with a bounty on its head. Rumor Hunts will involve additional rewards to the monster parts you usually obtain, but may also have penalties if you fail your assigned tasks and an obligation to see these tasks through.

Finally if you want to split up, you can. Do note that I will balance all encounters as if you had a full party, so if you do that you'll be in for difficult fights.

For now you can vote on if you want to go on a Free Hunt or a Rumor Hunt. If you want to go on a Free Hunt, then state where you would like to Hunt in your vote.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2022, 11:10:46 pm »

Aku abstains from voting, unless someone wants to split up.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2022, 01:26:45 am »

Landon spends the rest of the voyage splitting his time between practicing on his new strings for the poor sods still in the hold, and performing the duties of a common sailor on deck.

---

As someone who previously made his living sailing between the Old World and the New, Landon is no stranger to Foothold, but he now gazes upon the city with fresh eyes. Before this, his only responsibility in town was burning his entire modest sailor's pay on booze and whores before the winds and shipping schedules blew him back home. But now he was a hunter, and at least for the time, Foothold was his base of operations.

He turns to the other hunters.

"Welcome to Foothold me hearties! Don't spend all yer loot in one place, you'll need some ta buy supplies for the road. If y'all want, I can put my ear to the ground and try to find us work. Elsewise we can stock up an' take a leisurely trip North or West and find stuff to kill on our own time."

First Choice: Rumor Hunt
Second Choice: Free Hunt North or West.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2022, 12:27:46 pm »

I'm good with a rumor hunt.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2022, 03:35:49 pm »

Five made the most of their new quarters, taking this opportunity to rest for the rest of the journey without interacting much with the rest of the cast. He wasn't much of a seaman, as the confined quarters combined with the boredom made him feel all groggy.

Suffice to say he was one of the first to spring on the deck when the land call was heard. He took a long breath in, admiring the vast scenery and distant mountains before him. Finally, the New World.

Fluff below

After the disembarkment, Five headed straight for the headquarters of the Expeditionary Corps to make a report, and to ask for his next assignment. The Leader barged in all smiles, trapping Five with a bear grip that even a monster would have difficulties escaping.

"FIVE! Good to see you doing well buddy! So, how was the trip? Any fine ladies?"

With all the air pushed out from his lungs, Five weakly answered.
"Reporting...for duty."

The Leader released his deadly embrace and immediately gave a back breaking friendly slap on Five's back, laughing again.

"Always so serious! So, I'm all ears."

His heart beating faster than he did during the Sinker fight, Five fixed his posture and gave his report.

"The crossing journey was uneventful save for one encounter with sea monsters. Despite lacking a command structure, the Hunter of the ship managed to coordinate and eliminate the threat before the vessel could sustain threatening damage. A few individuals showed particular prowess and skills, and-"

"Oookay you can stop here. I get the gist of it. In one word, how was the trip?"

Without a beat, the soldier gave his answer.
"Boring."

"It was only boring because YOU are boring, you damn knucklehead. Alright, I got a great idea, I'm assigning you to... alright let's call it 'Information Gathering'. You are to buddy up with some of these promising individuals, and go on hunts with them to get a better feel- I mean gather information about the local populace and ecosystem."

"Sir, what you are plotting did not escape me. But as you are my direct superior, I am forced to comply."

"Sure thing mister Yesman. Oh yeah, and try to have some fun okay?"

Five grumbled as he accepted the "mission", and visited the headquarters a bit to complete his previous assignment.

Fluff above

From a fair distance, the hunters could see a gigantic armoured creature walking around the town. That was the Lomos, the Chimera piloted by Five. Now that he was on land, there was no reason not to pilot the Lomos.

"If you don't mind, I will be tagging along for a bit. I'm interested to know how the monsters of the New World compare to the ones from the Old World."

The threatening Chimera looked at the hunters as if the giant was thinking about something.

"By the way... can you remind me your names?."

First Choice: Free Hunt West
In the event of a tie: Rumor Hunt

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2022, 03:55:48 pm »

Rumor Hunt
Second Choice: Free Hunt North (Poor Quality)

Eich wanders off the boat, his arm and leg covered in stitches.
"I've gotta say, I'm not certain what to do now that I'm here. Mind if I tag along with you all? Seems better than trying to go off alone."
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9