Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Hunter's Call (IC)  (Read 5466 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Hunter's Call (IC)
« on: October 28, 2022, 10:56:36 am »

You've been on the ship Zephyr for some time now. For the most part its been smooth sailing. Certainly you've been caught in a storm or two, but given how dangerous the trip to the New World is you can count yourself lucky that you weren't sunk in your sleep by some underwater monster. It is difficult to detect the fertility level of the ocean - should you pick up and test some sea life there is no telling if they're local or if they had simply wandered in from another part of the vast ocean. Likewise many ill-prepared ships simply do not make it to port to report bad routes. Even if a safe route had been discovered it would require careful navigation to remain on it - and even if you managed that it is entirely possible a sea creature could wander in from a high-fertility part of the ocean and end your voyage regardless.

But the troubles of sailors are not the troubles of land lovers such as yourself. For you, the greatest troubles of your sea route are sleeping in a crowded cabin and eating low-quality in every sense of the world sea biscuits and salted fish. And of course the boredom of a monotonous journey at sea. Grog rations helped you deal with all three of these issues but brought a new one as you now have to deal with a crowded cabin full of drunks.

For now you're stuck in the cabin. What passes for a cabin, at least. You could swear it was simply a cargo hold filled with hammocks. Still for those without wealth and power trips like these are the only way to the New World, as the crowd surrounding you can attest to. Many are wannabe Hunters as their weapons clearly show. Still others are hoping for a more peaceful life, some are simply refugees retreating from tyranny or persecution back home. Of course there others hoping to make a fortune in other ways - such as the merchants offering harder drink and games of chance to pass the time.

While you're physically able to leave the cabin, the sailors are likely to get annoyed if you get in your way. Perhaps this is a good time to make some friends?

OOC
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 11:23:02 am by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Call (IC)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 12:35:22 pm »

Five grumbles laudibly enough for his likely cabinmates to hear him, pinching his nosebridge in annoyance.

"I can't wait to reach some land. If at least they would let us take in some sun..."
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 04:46:21 pm by Nakéen »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 12:53:01 pm »

Landon sits on his hammock, strumming on his Mandolin, looking at the others. He happened to be a sailor by trade himself, and very much looked the part. He wonders if they even knew he was a fellow passenger, and not some member of the crew assigned to keep tabs on them. To this point in the voyage he had given them no reason to believe otherwise, often leaving the cabin to offer an extra seasoned hand during storms or socialize with his fellow sailors during their downtime. The Captain had already offered him a job, and if it wasn't for the dietary restrictions of his pet, he probably would have taken it.

Perhaps some of the eagle-eyed hunters may have noticed Landon slipping some of his few remaining pieces of mana fortified jerky to his pet Otter Chubs. The merchants below deck might also be savvy enough to notice that Landon's uniform comes from a different company than the one that runs the Zephyr. Aside from those hints, however, Landon doubted any of the passengers thought he might be one of them. That wouldn't do. Lord Harris had always told him that hunting is best done in groups, so Landon would have to make some friends before making landfall.

Deciding to break the ice, Landon begins playing, and singing, The Huntress of Loa, a rather infamous and explicit sea shanty about a romantic encounter between a sailor and a powerful hunter. His voice is deep and thunderous, but rich and complex in ways that might lead a refined ear to correctly assume that he has had some classical vocal training. He performs the tune with in a slower-than-customary time signature with a big ol' shit eating grin on his face, wondering if anybody would recognize the song and stop him before he could get to the scandalous third verse...

"Oh the Huntress of Loa, so fierce and so brave, sends beast and suitor alike to their grave!
     She was the true pride of ol' Loa Town, her kills furnished the queen's dress and the king's crown!
     Twas a dark foggy night when my ship found that port, and I wandered the docks seeking action of sorts..." 𝅘𝅥𝅲𝅘𝅥𝅲
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 12:55:18 pm by Weirdsound »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 01:49:53 pm »

Duncan, who has been quietly playing around with his own instrument, registers a look of fleeting annoyance and starts playing a totally different melody, just barely loud enough to clash with the other, completely refusing to harmonize in any way.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2022, 02:49:49 pm »

Aku stands up as much as he is able to without hitting his head on the ceiling, and moves himself further away from the sounds of music.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 02:58:11 pm »

Landon note's Duncan's counterperformance, and doesn't react... at first.

After concluding the first verse and the chorus of his shanty, however, the sailor changes his tune and begins to try and harmonize with the other performer, to see how he might react. Not wanting to start in on any lyrics in case Duncan changes things up mid-verse, he simply hums and howls in time with what the instruments are doing.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 03:26:56 pm »

Eich lurches towards the duo playing, entirely unaware of their musical conversation.
"Ah, lads, have you had any of this? Tis' even worse then the swill they serve back home! Kicks like a ox and tastes like it's piss."

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 04:57:01 pm »

Five was deep in thoughts, internally cursing a man with a short, unkempt beard with a smile that just wouldn't go away. The leader of the expeditionary corps, who had tricked him into boarding a separate vessel from the one used by the expedition. Putting his calloused hand on Give's shoulder, he had said "You spent too much time in your Chimera. Socializing, meeting new people... that will do you a lot of good!". Five already regretted having asked if it was an order, to which the sly leader had answered "Yes. This is a direct order from your superior."

The Chimera Driver just wanted to crawl inside the Lomos and sleep there, far from everyone. With an internal sigh, the young man with white hair turned his red jewelled eyes toward the singing mandolin player. Pushed more by the boredom killing him than a desire to socialize, he asked about the song.

"What's this song about? Something from your home?"

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 06:04:49 pm »

Eich lurches towards the duo playing, entirely unaware of their musical conversation.
"Ah, lads, have you had any of this? Tis' even worse then the swill they serve back home! Kicks like a ox and tastes like it's piss."

Landon stops humming, but continues to play as he engages in conversation.

"I'd say its 'bout average fare for a journey's grog rations. 'Haps even a bit more pleasant than average. Professional sailors actually develop a taste for sea-swill. I miss the shite if I'm stuck on land too long."

A slight frown passes over the man's face as he considers the fact that come voyage's end, he might not get to be at sea for quite some time.

"What's this song about? Something from your home?"

"Right now? I'm just keeping pace with dat bastard. He's leading."

Landon gestures to Duncan.

"Before that? Twas a sea-shanty. Something sailors play when they get board on long voyages or drunk at port. So I guess it does come from the only home I've got left. That particular number, The Huntress of Loa, be the sorta song ya sing when you've been at sea too long and pine fer a woman's touch. Not really something yer supposed ta perform in polite company, but I was feeling bored and wanted to see if I could stir anything up, ey?"

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2022, 06:54:06 pm »

Hesitating for only a moment, Duncan quickly redoubles his efforts, leading the other player through a complex series of melodic transitions to see if he will follow. He eventually builds to a dramatic crescendo that crashes down into the opening bars of a traditional folk melody with even dirtier lyrics.

"Not really something yer supposed ta perform in polite company, but I was feeling bored and wanted to see if I could stir anything up, ey?"
He suddenly breaks off into a coughing fit at this, though, before recovering and asking "What d'ya mean stir up, with that kinda thing in mind?"

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2022, 07:00:29 pm »

Five couldn't really relate with the ex-sailor's explanation of a sailor's woes and needs. He nonetheless appreciated the tune, as he didn't care that much about the contents of the song anyway.

"A bit crude, and I can hardly relate. But the tune is nice. I prefer it to the other one." Said the young man from his hammock, darting lazily at Duncan without meaning to discredit him.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2022, 07:44:20 pm »

Hesitating for only a moment, Duncan quickly redoubles his efforts, leading the other player through a complex series of melodic transitions to see if he will follow. He eventually builds to a dramatic crescendo that crashes down into the opening bars of a traditional folk melody with even dirtier lyrics.

Landon keeps up at first to show he can, but after the first few transitions he dials back to play a more simplistic harmonizing part, allowing the other musician to shine. His grin widens as Duncan breaks into an even dirtier song. Just as he takes a deep breath to start belting the lyrics, however, he is interrupted by the other passengers.

Five couldn't really relate with the ex-sailor's explanation of a sailor's woes and needs. He nonetheless appreciated the tune, as he didn't care that much about the contents of the song anyway.

"A bit crude, and I can hardly relate. But the tune is nice. I prefer it to the other one." Said the young man from his hammock, darting lazily at Duncan without meaning to discredit him.

"Life be crude, friend. But the beautiful thing 'bout shanties is if ya can't relate ta one, ya might relate ta the next. I'm sure if this voyage lasts long enough, I'll find something ta tug yer heartstrings yet!"

He suddenly breaks off into a coughing fit at this, though, before recovering and asking "What d'ya mean stir up, with that kinda thing in mind?"

Landon snorts. "Nuthin too untoward. I know tha sports where one could sneak away for some private time on a ship such as this, but using them would be impolite if I'm not part o' the crew. What I means be that if ya bring up sex in a big enough group, someone will inevitably react. Usually I just settle for an entertaining shouting match or fisticuffs with some prude, but I'll gladly take a duet. Speaking of, this soldier boy with the Eidanelian Accent ain't touched by our raunchy trash. You know anything from his homeland? A refugee lady I knew taught me a few rebel battle hymns from their recent civil war, but if I had ta hazard a guess he wasn't on the correct side to enjoy those." 

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2022, 08:13:07 pm »

Landon snorts. "Nuthin too untoward. I know tha sports where one could sneak away for some private time on a ship such as this, but using them would be impolite if I'm not part o' the crew. What I means be that if ya bring up sex in a big enough group, someone will inevitably react. Usually I just settle for an entertaining shouting match or fisticuffs with some prude, but I'll gladly take a duet. Speaking of, this soldier boy with the Eidanelian Accent ain't touched by our raunchy trash. You know anything from his homeland? A refugee lady I knew taught me a few rebel battle hymns from their recent civil war, but if I had ta hazard a guess he wasn't on the correct side to enjoy those." 

Surprised to hear the name of his homeland, Five couldn't help but perk up. Hook, line and sinker, Landon had managed to catch the ex-soldier's attention. Although the sailor seemed to play the fool, maybe he had already recognized the distinct physical characteristics of Eidanel's Chimera Drivers.

"You are well-learnt, and quite perceptive. I'm indeed a soldier from Eidanel, although I don't know much about the songs from there... I didn't have much time for songs."

Although Five had said that, a distant memory appeared in his mind. Some folk song, or a lullaby? From way back, when he was in the orphanage. Something one the few nice caretakers sang to the crying children. It was something about verdant hills, the shade of a tree, and the smile of the sun. Probably from sceneries predating the civil war.

He dismissed the thought, there was no way this random sailor would know about it.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 08:23:08 pm »

Duncan falls into a bit of a sulk at Five's critical comment.
"Dunno. Know a coupla folk songs. Not sure where they're all from. Back home, they say having a skill improves yer marriageability, so I learned a few pop'lar melodies.

Didn't get that one from any tutor, though. Thatun's from the gypsy traders.
"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2022, 10:33:57 pm »

Aku stands up as much as he is able to without hitting his head on the ceiling, and moves himself further away from the sounds of music.

At the far side of the cabin, you find a group of religious refugees singing their own counter hymns to keep the innocent ears of their children safe from the inappropriate lyrics of the sea shanties. On the far side of them there is a group of gamblers loudly shouting in a 50/50 combination of victory and defeat after the last round of dice. This cabin is not a pleasant place to be for those who prefer silence. You'd be lucky if they quite down enough for bed tonight.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9