Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Hunter's Call (IC)  (Read 5423 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter's Call (IC)
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2022, 12:27:43 pm »

Looks like I get to wait a week before I do anything?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2022, 02:04:46 pm »

"That big monster be dumb boys. But very dangerous. We need ta escape it. I'll try 'n distract the grabbers that haven't got us yet with the guns. Some of ya should work on dislodgeing the one day already got us. We can worry 'boit the sharks once that ship ain't in danger of sinking."

Landon will try and man one of the ships guns to put a cannonball between all the tentacles, in hopes they respond to the splash and fight each other, or at least investigate something other than the ship.

(Sorry I'm traveling, and don't know how to highlight text to bold/color it on my phone.)

Normally cannons are manned by a team. Thankfully you happen to have a handy partner nearby to help with all the heavy lifting. The cannon is an anti-monster design, a short barrel with a high caliber giving it a heavy punch at short distances where monsters tend to engage. Its short design also keeps down on cost, given how expensive quality materials are. Not that the materials making up this cannon are of particularly high quality. It isn't so low quality that you fear it would explode on you (unless you mix up the powder with something higher quality), but it is clear just by the fact the gun is here instead of a gun deck proves the ship owner is cheeping out when it comes to defense.

You unscrew the breech of the gun with the help of your otter who flops on top. You check the breach grease while Chubbs rolled a cannonball into place. Breach grease is monster tallow, serving a duel purpose of lubricating the screw and preventing gas from escaping from the back of the gun. Mana increases the properties of all material - the more mana in the tallow the better it will lubricate and the better it will seal the breach. Visual inspection says the whole screw is covered so it won't explode in a way it isn't supposed to. You find the primary powder horn and fill the flash pan while Chubbs shoves a cloth wad behind the cannonball. Finally you throw a bag of powder in and screw the back back in place. Relying mostly on Chub's strength, you move the cannon into firing position. Thanks to your years of training you're able to accomplish this in mere moments, your well practice movements being as sure a machine.

Aiming between the tentacles rather than at them, you pull the rope setting off the gunlock. Fire flies from the short barrel sending the cannon flying backward and the cannonball flying forward. As expected it splashes deep blue instead of red (or whatever color the Star Sinker bleeds). It passes close enough to one of the tentacles that it follows to investigate, but the others continue being more interested in the ship.

Looks like I get to wait a week before I do anything?

You already waited a week before getting to do anything. Now you get to wait two weeks!

You are free to make non-action posts like discussing plans IC if you want (and the Sailor set you up for it), or actions that don't take actions like looking around the ship. If Maxspin gets his post in we'll be at Init 4 by the end of the day.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2022, 02:25:25 pm »

Duncan looks for some cover from which to fling some spears at the tentacles.
How much ammunition do I actually have, anyway?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2022, 02:36:27 pm »

Duncan looks for some cover from which to fling some spears at the tentacles.
How much ammunition do I actually have, anyway?

Most obvious cover is the bullwark on the edge of the ship, though by the way the sharks are tearing through it it would not be particularly great at the purpose. All the cannons on the far edge of the ship are likely to offer more protection, so long as you can avoid being crushed by them. There is a particularly solid looking Hunter you could probably hide behind safely.

Your ammunition is functionally unlimited! If we ever get to the point where it would seem silly that you're going through this much ammo, presumably you'll be reclaiming javelins that missed or are stuck in dead things narrativly. Fate points represent your limited amount of special ammunition, so Fate points for those.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 02:37:58 pm by Stirk »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2022, 04:40:03 pm »

Now that I'm awake that reads more like an action post.

Your spear strikes true to one of the tentacles, embedding itself half-way meeting no real resistance from the Star's flesh. Almost immediately as it enters the creature begins healing around it, only serving to keep the javalin stuck deeper in its own body.

Star Sinker takes 6 damage, is now at -1 DEF.

It is now Int 4. Everyone but Aku and the Sharks get to move this turn.

VermilionSkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2022, 06:34:47 pm »

Eich attempts to batter any sharks he finds jumping nearby him.
(Target 3 sharks and add a d6 to the roll with a fate point.)

"How the hell am I supposed to hurt that thing if it just gets better?
Eich says, gesturing towards the Sinker.
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2022, 07:09:47 pm »

Eich attempts to batter any sharks he finds jumping nearby him.
(Target 3 sharks and add a d6 to the roll with a fate point.)

"How the hell am I supposed to hurt that thing if it just gets better?
Eich says, gesturing towards the Sinker.
Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

(Fate points 5)

Fighting against monsters is much different from training against other humans back when you're a guard. There is a lot more blood, for one. You chop into a shark that is sliding to your right, your blade passing through it and nearly into the ship. It flops three times, before it stops moving and slides across the deck as a corpse. A second shark leaps out of the ocean towards you - you manage to spear it with your weapon using its own momentum against it. Your blade pierces through to the other side, acting as a second fin for the unfortunate creature for moments before you are able to recover your weapon. A third shark bites into the bulwark on the side of the ship. You take the opportunity to make an attack - cleanly beheading the wolf shark like a fish monger cutting a salmon.

There are now 9 (probably) Wolf Sharks left.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2022, 12:54:00 pm »

I had to reread the rules and I bet Weirdsound forgot how it works too.

Fling another spear at another tentacle while hiding behind the solid-looking Hunter.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2022, 01:26:42 pm »

I had to reread the rules and I bet Weirdsound forgot how it works too.

Fling another spear at another tentacle while hiding behind the solid-looking Hunter.

It is now Int 4. Everyone but Aku and the Sharks get to move this turn.

I should probably have made more of a reminder, but you get a move too Weirdsound. If you forgot.

You jump behind the giant Hunter! That is to say the Hunter that is giant, not a Hunter that hunts giants (though he could probably hunt a giant if he found one). You are now solidly protected from any attacks so long as he doesn't jump out of the way and let whatever it is hit you. You loose a spear over his shoulder, backing up to do so given your height differences. The second tentacle catches the spear in its side, sticking in like a massive splinter parallel with the tentacle. As before it meets little resistance from the flesh, before being stuck fast by the regenerative abilities.

Sea Star has taken 11 damage. It is now at -2 DEF.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2022, 05:37:57 pm »

Chubs chirps disapprovingly at Landon as the first ball lands in the water with a splash.

"I know, I know, I landed it there on fecking purpose. This one is finna find flesh though!"

Landon loads another round into the gun, this time looking to land a shot on the weakened Sea Star. 

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2022, 08:00:00 pm »

Chubs chirps disapprovingly at Landon as the first ball lands in the water with a splash.

"I know, I know, I landed it there on fecking purpose. This one is finna find flesh though!"

Landon loads another round into the gun, this time looking to land a shot on the weakened Sea Star. 

You load up the cannon as before, this time adding an extra step where you sponge the breach before placing the cannonball (again to make sure it doesn't explode when it isn't supposed to). And I suppose the part where you aim at the target before firing.

As promised the target hits flesh, tearing off half of a tentacle and sending it flying across the deck. Unlike the sharks it continues flopping well after it lands, with both the severed tentacle and the main body regenerating from the wound. Visually it was something like watching a tree grow in real time, if the tree was made of fleshy bits.

Sea star has taken 19 damage.

Nankeen is alive so it is now Five's turn. And also the three extra Sharks are here.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2022, 12:22:59 am »

(Very sorry for the late arrival, week was hellish!)

A giant covered in a jet black carapace emerges from under the deck, its glinting red eyes darting around the battlefield as if to assess the situation. Altered and amplified into a distorted, monstrous voice, Five can be heard shouting to the other Hunters.

"Five on the scene. Engaging the enemy."

Disregarding the swarming Wolf Sharks, Five inside the Lomos focus his attention on the nearby tentacle of the Sinker. Charging at the tentacle, Five attempts to rend it with the claws of the Chimera.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2022, 08:51:40 pm »

(Very sorry for the late arrival, week was hellish!)

A giant covered in a jet black carapace emerges from under the deck, its glinting red eyes darting around the battlefield as if to assess the situation. Altered and amplified into a distorted, monstrous voice, Five can be heard shouting to the other Hunters.

"Five on the scene. Engaging the enemy."

Disregarding the swarming Wolf Sharks, Five inside the Lomos focus his attention on the nearby tentacle of the Sinker. Charging at the tentacle, Five attempts to rend it with the claws of the Chimera.

Your claws cut through the nearest tentacle as easy as air, leaving a barrel-sized gash in its side. As with the other grizzly wounds it begins to repair the damage almost immediately, starting to close even before the blood on your claws splashes against the deck.

Sinker has taken 21 damage, +2 to Five's next hit.

The remaining hunters pull their own weight defending the sailors from the Wolf Shark swarm. Both proactively by shooting and stabbing threats, and reactivity by pushing them from out of an incoming shark's path. The chef notably pulled an unfortunate sailor out of a Shark's mouth before it could pull him overboard. Meanwhile the captain continued desperately stabbing his blade into the tentacle grasping the ship, keeping it from moving if nothing else.

With a shudder, one of the Sinker's arms sweeps across the deck. It crashes into the newly arrived black carapace, but Five takes the attack like a wave breaking against the shore. A second tentacle attempts a different tactic, attempting to wrap itself around the carapace and pull it into the drink as if it was a ship. Five sees this attack coming and dodges out of the way, leaving the appendage to twist over itself in the air.

He'd probably work better as cover than Aku, for those looking to shield themselves.

Sinker has healed 10 damage and is now at 11.

It is now Initiative 3, everyone gets to move!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2022, 08:56:52 pm »

(Are there any Wolf Sharks left?)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2022, 08:57:28 pm »

(I am confused about what is going on. Could we maybe get a combat status summary or something?)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9