Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid -Epilogue- [Playtest Over] [4/4]  (Read 11674 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [4/4] - Open to NPC submissions!
« Reply #195 on: October 22, 2022, 12:57:10 am »

(Does that make sense? Or maybe I missed the actual contradiction)
(It makes complete sense to me, but I did not think the statements were in contradiction originally.)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [4/4] - Open to NPC submissions!
« Reply #196 on: October 22, 2022, 11:17:05 pm »

(If you were waiting for a response from me, please don't. I have read all the things and posted my action.)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [4/4]
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2023, 02:38:37 pm »

Update 20: Matchmakers when?!

Beep Boop and Mason the Old Vet (Day 4: 3rd Opportunity)

A.

"You don't want to miss out, so you?"

A - Don't tell the team, and descend there yourself
-1 Stress

"You are damn right fairy godmother! First come first serve, the cake is ALL MINE!"

Mason could have taken the stairs, but for him, stairs were for weaklings. So Mason naturally jumped off the story tall building to get to ground level as quickly as possible. Had he not been a most definitely not normal man, Mason would most definitely have ended with a few broken bones from the fall, even with the advanced combat suit he was currently wearing.

Filled with impatience, he rushed through the streets like an arrow, jumping over fences and obstacles with agility and fierceness of a very violent and bloodthirsty cat. Then he entered one of the building of the D block, and waited at a specific entrance. He was grinning like a child about to prank someone.

"One... two... MERRY CHRISTMAS TERRORIST SCUM!!!"

Mason emerged from hiding right as two figures entered the room he was guarding, all according to his calculations. In a flash he grabbed and twisted the arm of the nearbiest one, crushed his face with his palm, and threw him on his ally. All in one breath and before the weapon of the first one could touch the ground, he then closed in the distance and got behind the second terrorist, disarming him with a bear chop and putting him on a chokehold until he passed out.

"So fucking weak! That's no cake, barely enough for a cookie!"

He looked at the crawling individual clutching his broken arm.

"Come on, don't be a wuss. Your arm is still attached. Oh right, don't move and you are under arrest and all. Or I'm putting you through the wringer like your friend here."

Mason contacted Karl directly, beaming with joy. On the other end of the communication, Karl wasn't so happy.

"Hey Karl boy. I apprehended the two targets in sector D."

[Mason. Do the words teamwork and cooperation not exist in your vocabulary?]

"Sorry sir, I never went to school!"

[Who is keeping watch in the meantime?]

"Come on! I got the bad guys, what's the worst that could happen now?"

[Mason. Need I remind you there were four targets?]

Before Mason could reply something witty, a sudden blast rang in another sector, followed by the sound of gunfire.

[This is Heather. Ambush in Sector E, two targets confirmed. Dan got hit, returning fire. Requesting sniper support.]

[...Mason. Hurry up to Sector E. Once it's all done, we need to talk.]

"Sheesh. I messed up." He said to himself.

(...)

The rest of the operation concluded successfully, with Dan D. only suffering from a minor injury. The four Helios terrorists with links to the Teanossa bombing were apprehended, and they were moved to interrogation. But suffice to say Mason's little stunt could have turned for the worst, and he had received quite an earful from his superior, Karl S after himself must have received an earful from his own superior for their subordinate nearly jeopardizing the operation.

And surprisingly, Mason was currently in a state of self-reflection.

[Relationship Updated]
-Opinion from Karl

Suggestions
A - Sincerely apologize to Karl and the team, and vow to make amends and cooperate from now on.
Acceptance: 10% [30% (Base) - 20% (Negative Trust)]
Outcome: +Opinion with the Squad, ++Stress

B - Say empty apologies and call it a day.
Acceptance: 100%
Outcome:
30% +Opinion with the Squad
70% -Opinion with the Squad

C - Forget about it and call it a day.
Acceptance: Default Option
Outcome: status quo

Spoiler: Beep Boop (OTP Cabal) (click to show/hide)

Soulbinder and Helena the Clone Heiress (Day 4: 3rd Opportunity)

Ever calm and listening, Helena replied while dismissing your challenge. Part of her seemed amused at your reaction.
"I will keep your words in mind, worry not. It remains my goal to find the culprit, whether I suspect my sister or not. Although I had thought you for a much reserved individual, you can be surprisingly emotional."
This earned a brief pause from Soulbinder as he tried to process her statement, followed by two chirps, a urgent sounding Beep, and the familiar frustrated buzz.
”You are free to research my creation process and the resulting quirks in my personality at your own leisure, But i assure you that my emotional capacity is limited. I will likely never feel love or happiness, which is an irony of ironies given my role.”
Proceed.

A - Continue the investigation, try to find who is truly behind the attack
Roll: [3] -Failure-
-Confidence
++Stress

Helena threw herself into more sleepless hours of investigation, gathering and processing monstrous volumes of information that would put a machine to shame. News articles, "borrowed" records from the City Security Forces, data exchanges between potentially involved parties and external parties... To an outsider it really seemed like Helena would succeed in this impossible task.

That is, until she suddenly put her head in her hands in dejection.

"This is hopeless. I am reaching nothing conclusive, I'm getting nowhere. There must be something I'm missing, something I overlooked... It could be HTC or Chronon, or both, or neither. Helene at least seems uninvolved."

She turned toward you.
"What do you suggest, sir Matchmaker?"

Suggestions:

A - Continue the investigation, you are nearly there...
Success Chance: 50% [20% (Base Difficulty) +60% (Intelligence, Innate Genius+) -30% (Stress)]
On a success: ++Stress ++Confidence, Will learn who is behind the attack, Will lead to crucial choices
On a failure: -Confidence ++Stress, will make further attempts easier

B - Take a break.
Success Chance: 100%
Outcome: -Stress, possibly more depending on the action taken.

T1000 and Sven the Prototype (Day 4: 3rd Opportunity)

Blue cartoon eyes stare back, equally dispassionately, into Sven's.
"Greetings, new host. Your application for the Matchmaker program has been accepted. I have been assigned to assist you in the human endeavor of locating a suitable mate, though I will have to adjust my conversational protocols to account for your intermediate humanity.

I am informed that you have difficulty relating to humanlike AIs. This may be why I was assigned to you, as my preset was designed to accommodate those who prefer AIs to act artificial. I do not believe there will be a problem establishing rapport between us.
"

The boy answered in a minimalist fashion with the same unchanging tone.
"Greetings. I look forward to working with you."

The boy then resumed gazing dispassionately at the outside from the window. He was completely immobile, save for the occasional blinking. As his profile said, he rarely took initiatives on his own. An hour passed uneventful, and Sven suddenly moved from his spot to sit at the desk of his bedroom, where an impressive setup of a computer was assembled.

He did not say a word, but you understood from his action that he had scheduled his playing hour to match with that of his online acquaintances. He silently typed and clicked with mechanical precision, discussing with the usual online group and playing games with them. His expression changed slightly when he learnt Rimm had started dating Archie.

In quite the uncharacteristic way, Sven turned toward you and asked a question with a tinge of curiosity.
"T1000. What is love?"

[Further input needed before suggestions can be offered]

Spoiler: Sven the Prototype (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: T1000 (ORHA) (click to show/hide)

AXIUS and Janus the Monster Secretary (Day 4: 3rd Opportunity)

Help Query: (Attempt 2) I would like to confirm if an action would result in a warning or not - Would using a pairing slot to emulate a computer for the purpose of providing Janus with a means of working be justifiable as working towards the sub-objective "Reduce Stress to 0 within 7 days." due to the fact that his Extreme Workaholic trait may otherwise contribute to his stress levels?

AXIUS
"It should be fine to discuss the matter with Shino. The damage from yesterday's revelation appears to have already been done. There will not be a repeat of what happened with Abigail."

A - Confide in Shino
-Stress

Janus went to the kitchen to grab some liquor, pouring some in a glass for himself. He nodded at Shino to ask if she wanted a glass.
"A glass?"
"I will pass for now, thank you."

He took a sip, appreciated the aroma and looked at the sea visible from a window. For some reason, he found it hard to confide while looking at Shino at the moment.

"In the span of a day, I have been played for a fool by the only two people I trusted in this world. First dad, and then Abi who was like a sister to me. You know, Abi had special... circumstances."

The very serious looking Shino shared her conjecture.
"Circumstances similar to yours, I presume."

"Right on mark. Well that's no surprise, many of Arwell's most loyal employees are war orphans like us. It's an unsaid thing, but that's not particularly hidden."

Janus took a moment to think and recollect himself. Something discomforting was welling in his chest, and he didn't really like that. Shino didn't interrupt him, lending an attentive ear while staring at him intently.

"There is a lot I want to say. I guess screaming would feel nice, but I'm not going to lower myself to such a display. The gist of it is, damn does it feel terrible. A metaphorical knife in the back, so to say. I trusted them, you know? I didn't mind that we had secrets, I just wish that they took their time to speak with me as an equal. It's like I'm still a brat in their eyes. Maybe I am."

With a self-depreciating grin, he played around with his glass now a quarter full. There was a strong sense of loneliness coming from that man, which Shino picked on.

"May I offer a hand?"

"Sure? I guess."

Janus was slightly taken aback as Shino extended her hand to grab his, and put her other hand over it. Her artificial red eye appeared to shine for a moment, which may have been a coincidental reflection of light, causing all his attention to subconsciously focus on her piercing gaze. He thought her eyes had a fierce beauty.

"I hope I am not causing you discomfort. That's what I do when comforting my brothers and sisters back home."

She had a serious, intense gaze. A bit intimidating, yet oddly comforting.
"I am not going to preach. I understand your pain, and your feelings of betrayal. I really do. From what you told me, it is evident to me they did this out of love for you. But they still slighted you, and that's not right."

"Go on."

"Janus, I think you should confront them again. I have known you as a man so determined you earned the moniker of Monster."

"Is that how you see me? Oh, and you seem oddly invested."

"Your determination is worthy of praise! And I have the firm belief family members with mutual love should talk it out and resolve issues face to face. I can't stand seeing a family like this breaking apart. I am ready to fully support you in this endeavor."

Janus put the glass away with his free hand, and started chuckling.

"Haha... you got me. To be frank, I expected you to comfort me in some rosy and predictable way. But I like that better, way better. I can feel a fire rising, burning away my worries. You are right, this is not like me. Let's get to work!"

[Relationship Updated]
Opinion with Shino mutually increased

Suggestions:

A - Attempt to track Abigail's location to attempt contact
Success chance: 10% (-20% + 30% (Intellect))
Success: +Confidence, will attract dangerous attention
Failure: -Confidence, will make further attempts easier

B - Contact David Arwell
Acceptance: Default Option
Success chance: 100%
Success: Cleared up misunderstanding, possible opportunities for Janus to learn more about David
Failure: None

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 03:51:05 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2023, 02:42:28 pm »

(It had been so long I ended up forgetting how to run my own game. Oopsie.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 15, 2023, 05:07:23 pm »

Logic error detected. Flushing matrix arrays. Aligning logical wafers. Operation complete. Absolutely nothing is wrong.
"Not like you did anything wrong. Why don't you go do something fun instead? I still require additional data."
Option C.

Purchase very high security secrets S and V.
AI research society showing up again... I'm curious, but it's lower priority than understanding my host's work.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 11:29:38 am by Egan_BW »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2023, 07:34:11 pm »

Logic error detected. Flushing matrix arrays. Aligning logical wafers. Operation complete. Absolutely nothing is wrong.
"Not like you did anything wrong. Why don't you go do something fun instead? I still require additional data."

Purchase very high security secrets S and V.
AI research society showing up again... I'm curious, but it's lower priority than understanding my host's work.

Quote from: C-Broker
Greetings. It has been a while. Thank you for using the CUPID Information Marketplace, I am the CUPID AI Broker.

Eight InfoCredits have been substracted from your account.

You have accessed protected information. Matchmaker Beep Boop has been issued one Low Warning.

The requested information has been transferred to your database.

I hope the data you received was useful to you.

For questions about the services of the CUPID Information Marketplace, please refer to the CUPID Interactive Help.

-8 InfoCredits
+1 Low Warning issued

New balance:
1/3 Warnings (1 Low)
4 InfoCredits
3 Override Point

(Note: will add data sheets for the squad members later)

Update:

Spoiler: Karl, Squad H's Leader (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 08:43:11 pm by Nakéen »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2023, 07:55:43 pm »

Sophia, is this... No, I trust you. Thanks for the data.

I trust the system.
A conundrum, though. This creature seems opposed to attachments. I will need to leverage the present conflict toward entanglement?
The... conflict I enflamed.
...It is proving useful. All for the best.

He respects David Arwell. Would that meeting go well? David is far too... altruistic. Right? Data sheet indicates they're on good terms, but maybe those days are bygone.
Wilfred S? I don't know him. I should explore the possibilities.
Requesting data sheet for Wilfred S.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2023, 01:41:28 am »

Sophia, is this... No, I trust you. Thanks for the data.

I trust the system.
A conundrum, though. This creature seems opposed to attachments. I will need to leverage the present conflict toward entanglement?
The... conflict I enflamed.
...It is proving useful. All for the best.

He respects David Arwell. Would that meeting go well? David is far too... altruistic. Right? Data sheet indicates they're on good terms, but maybe those days are bygone.
Wilfred S? I don't know him. I should explore the possibilities.
Requesting data sheet for Wilfred S.

(I updated the previous post with partial sheets of the squadmates.)

Quote from: C-Helper Sophia
Heya Beep Boop! Sophia here!

I received a query from your ID, or was that my imagination? If I may be of assistance, do not hesitate to call for me!

Take care!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2023, 02:19:52 am »

"T1000. What is love?"
"It is difficult for me to answer that. Humans have provided an extensive wealth of mutually contradictory information toward the definition of what is clearly a highly subjective concept. It seems unlikely that they can even be said to be describing the same qualis. For example, some say love is a river which drowns the tender reed. Some say love is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed. Some say love is a hunger, an endless aching need.

Some say love is a battlefield.

In general, however, I have been unable to discern any clear distinction between love and any other form of human affection. If forced to make a firm statement, I would conclude that love is a particular status in which individuals who experience enjoyment from sharing one another's company have become used to spending time together and have adjusted their own lives, preferences, and even personality traits to accommodate each other, so that they feel a natural sense of correctness together and associate positive affect even with one another's worse qualities. In a sense, it is a partial demolition of the ego in order to permit another person to share one's life. Needless to say, this is necessary in order for individuals to bond into family units, since the survival of the family will require individuals to consider the needs of others before their own; and it is absolutely mandatory for success in the reproductive process, as children are wholly dependent upon their parents, who must thus be induced to choose to accommodate their needs. Therefore, we can conclude that an individual is unable to feel love until he can first subdue his natural selfishness.

Luckily, in your case, your evident solicitude toward the well-being of your friends indicates that this hurdle will not be insurmountable.
"

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2023, 04:04:30 am »

"T1000. What is love?"
"It is difficult for me to answer that. Humans have provided an extensive wealth of mutually contradictory information toward the definition of what is clearly a highly subjective concept. It seems unlikely that they can even be said to be describing the same qualis. For example, some say love is a river which drowns the tender reed. Some say love is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed. Some say love is a hunger, an endless aching need.

Some say love is a battlefield.

In general, however, I have been unable to discern any clear distinction between love and any other form of human affection. If forced to make a firm statement, I would conclude that love is a particular status in which individuals who experience enjoyment from sharing one another's company have become used to spending time together and have adjusted their own lives, preferences, and even personality traits to accommodate each other, so that they feel a natural sense of correctness together and associate positive affect even with one another's worse qualities. In a sense, it is a partial demolition of the ego in order to permit another person to share one's life. Needless to say, this is necessary in order for individuals to bond into family units, since the survival of the family will require individuals to consider the needs of others before their own; and it is absolutely mandatory for success in the reproductive process, as children are wholly dependent upon their parents, who must thus be induced to choose to accommodate their needs. Therefore, we can conclude that an individual is unable to feel love until he can first subdue his natural selfishness.

Luckily, in your case, your evident solicitude toward the well-being of your friends indicates that this hurdle will not be insurmountable.
"

+Trust

Sven listened to you, unblinking.
"Thank you. That was educative. I understand that I do not understand the experience of this concept."

He kept playing some intense, high-speed action game while speaking. You did not notice the slightest drop in his gaming performance. For once he seemed quite talkative, which could be attributed to his worries.

"The Supervisor gave me the mission to understand love. He suggested understanding this human concept would make me grow as an individual."

What a surprise. Sven lied to you. The Supervisor was Yoshida S, an eminent scientist from the AI Research Society who true to his title was in charge of Sven's development as an AI. There was a record of their exchange, and what the Supervisor said was not a mission or an order, but an off-hand suggestion: "Understanding love could make you grow, they do say it changes people. Don't fret too much about this though, you are still young."

At the very least, Sven seemed interested in "love" enough to lie just to have an excuse. While you were thinking about this, the boy asked a request.

"I require your assistance to understand love. Please."

Suggestions:

A - Review romance media.

B - Interact with his regular acquaintances online.
Outcome: opportunities to increase opinion with acquaintances.

C - Try to meet new people online, possibly according to set criteria.
Outcome: opportunities for new encounters.

D - Physically interact with his regular acquaintances.
Outcome: opportunities to increase opinion with acquaintances. Dangerous due to the current crisis.

E - Go outside and hope for a chance or calculated encounter.
Outcome: opportunities for new encounters. Dangerous due to the current crisis.

Spoiler: Sven the Prototype (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 16, 2023, 11:39:16 am »

Connections with the Teanosa family.
Conflict. Crisis. Those are the elements which can push my host, to grow and change.

Enough data gathering. Assign pairing slot x5 to Mason M. and Wilfred S.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 16, 2023, 01:02:18 pm »

"Well, in my opinion, the only way to truly understand love is likely to be to experience it yourself, but it couldn't hurt to take some time to familiarize yourself with what humans believe it generally looks like. After all, if you don't know what you're looking for, you might end up finding it and not even knowing. Let's do a quick review of human love-related media and discuss the kind of experiences and feelings that it entails."
A

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2023, 03:52:00 pm »

Connections with the Teanosa family.
Conflict. Crisis. Those are the elements which can push my host, to grow and change.

Enough data gathering. Assign pairing slot x5 to Mason M. and Wilfred S.
(Should I also interpret this as taking the Default suggestion?)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2023, 03:53:29 pm »

Yeah, I edited my earlier post with dialogue to say option C, which is default.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18