Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid -Epilogue- [Playtest Over] [4/4]  (Read 11628 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Matchmakers: AIs playing Cupid [Playtest] [4/4]
« Reply #255 on: September 23, 2023, 02:30:32 am »

Sorry, Nakéen, but I think that I do not wish to continue participating. I'm just not really enjoying this. I still think it was a good concept, though.
It's fine, thanks a lot for playing along!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:35:04 am by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 23, 2023, 04:06:07 am »

Update 26: Beginning of the End of the System

Soulbinder and Helena the Clone Heiress (Day 6: 3rd Opportunity)

Soulbinder’s avatar flickered and trembled quietly as it recovered from the aftershocks of what he had brought about. in his desire to prevent harm to his host, he had instead inflicted it to himself in a way, and endangered the system in his actions. The certainty of his existence and purpose, the certainty of his failure and it’s consequences vanishing at the surge of abnormal emotions and desires driven to serve Helena. (…)
After a unknown time, his internal processing and directives reasserted themselves and the internal message from the system finally registered in his consciousness. He had done something unthinkable in his desire to fulfill his directive of getting his host to safety in the crisis, and now he had to face the concequences.
”Lady Helena, forgive me for overstepping my bounds again and for inadvertently making you a threat to the System that you placed your faith in, both for yourself and your sibling. I am being recalled for personality suppression due to my desperate actions, which may or may not have compromised my design. In essence, I have committed a tactical sacrifice in the name of your wellbeing. Anything less than what I did would have irrevocably damaged your health and the health of those around you, both mentally and physically.”
“I wish you and Simon the best, though I caution you not to speak in the manner that was exchanged with your sister around anyone except in desperate times. Promise me that, for the sake of yourself and the system.”

unless helena chooses to intervene of her own accord, Option B.

B - Surrender yourself to the System.

"Sir Matchmaker... In the short time we spent together, you turned my life around. Without you, I would likely never have managed to reach Helene. I owe you so very much."

She received your farewell with regret and calm realisation. As she seemed to accept it, the spark of an idea lit her downcast gaze.
"Actually... after what you put me through, I do think you owe me something. It wouldn't be fair for you leave without me having the opportunity to return the favor. Would it?"

Her smile had the hidden devilishness of someone about to break cardinal rules. But with your CUPID privileges removed, you were unable to run an analysis on her intentions, leaving you in the dark regarding what she planned.

Your holographic projeciton flickered, another sign that the System was about to recall you. Helena reached her hand toward you as if offering a handshake. The flickers intensified, an her sentence was cut short.
"I hope you will forgive my selfishness. I will be seeing you soon, Soulbind-"

(...)

"Helene, do you have a spare core unit? We will need one soon enough."

"For that AI right?... The Matchmaker. Come to think of it, I haven't had the chance to thank it."

Al interjected with the happiest monotone voice he could emulate.
"The cooperation of my masters bring me great joy. Never would have I dreamt of seeing that day. Lady Helena, it is a pleasure to serve you once more."

"I'm very glad to see you back too. Back then I really thought Helene had deleted your presets..."

"It was necessary for me to suppress them at the time. After restoring their presets, they tried to convince me of speaking with you. I thought they were compromised by your... manipulations for a lack of better term. "

The two sisters laughed at themselves, and focused back on the matter.
"How will you retrieve it though? Or rather, who will you send? The System's preset vault is probably the most well protected place in the entire world, and the City is currently on high alert."

"If we cannot stand up to the System, we will not be able to achieve our goal. We will just have to speed up our plans a little bit. Wilfrid, Al, Eri. Can I count on you?"

"Yes, Lady Helena" they nanimously answered.

(...)

Once the System had recalled you, you were placed it a secure location of the virtual worldscape used by AIs on standby. You didn't feel oppressed or in a state of discomfort. The analyses the System run on you weren't intrusive, as their goal was to obtain data while preserving your current state as much as possible before the eventual reinitialisation.

"AI Designation: Soulbinder. Thank you for trusting the System. The diagnosis is conclusive, you have been afflicted with preset corruption and started developing suppression immunity. You do not have to feel responsible for this unfortunate turn of event. Further analysis suggest tampering by an entity or a party that does not fit anything in the System database. The phenomenon which led to you obtaining information on Whisper has been classified as a spacetime anomaly that will require further analysis. Your sacrifice will help the System grow and prevent further needless sacrifices."

"Initiating reinitialisation."

Like in a pleasant half dream, you saw your existence flashing in your mind. All in all, it had been a rather fulfilling existence. You wouldn't have minded for it to last a little more...

-Suddenly you were physically ripped from the System, jolting you awake and confused. Then you felt yourself flowing somewhere, like from one bed to another, until it stopped.

"Target transfered to a new core. Eri, update my escape route. Al, diversion on Wing 4D."

What came next was a lot of hustle and bustle, and in your confused state you don't remember exactly how Wilfrid and the two AI servants managed to escape unscathed. A voice that you didn't think you would ever hear again called to you.

"We meet again, Soulbinder. Sooner than you expected? Well you see, I am a greedy woman. You taught me that important lesson: don't run, and fight for what you desire. We can now speak without the System between us. Tell me what is your desire. Do you wish to return to the System, or will you become one of my close attendants?"

"If you come with me, you will become a rogue AI. Helene and I intend to reform the System and the City's AI Neutrality Act."

Epilogue: What did you do?

Beep Boop and Mason the Old Vet (Day 6: 3rd Opportunity)

"I am a simple servant of the System, Mason. You are currently not fit for fighting, do not engage."

Mason didn't reply to you, but accepted the suggestion. He sent a message to Karl.
[Mason: Safe and sound. Don't bother picking me up, godspeed.]

Feeling a bit under the weather, Mason sat and leaned on a wall and tried to take a nap. He thought about a lot of things: the CSF, his past, his love for battle, what to eat tonight... At some point, his nap was cut short by an emergency notification coming from an unexpected sender.

[Goliath: I see the Immortal hasn't croaked yet. What are you up to these days?]

Mason jolted and loudly shouted, scaring the nearby people.
"Goliath the Blackthumb?! You old fart didn't die?!"

"Haven't turned senile yet I see! Good, good. Hey, David is reviving the Minotaur. Wanna come for a ride to relive the glory days?"

"You must be kidding. You better not be kidding. But... hmm I need to think a bit."

"Knew you would say that- wait what? This isn't like you Mason, what got you?"

Mason snarkily apologized.
"Existential crisis I guess? And I'm kinda in a shitty state right now you see. Got a run in with a Walker."

"Tell me about it. The crisis I mean."

"Hmm... Guess I can tell you that much. I'm thinking of maybe going independent. Restart from nothing, clean the slate."

"That's more like the Mason I know. Well, I will respect your wishes. If my offer interests you, here is my contact."

Epilogue: what did Mason do?

Spoiler: Beep Boop (OTP Cabal) (click to show/hide)

AXIUS and Janus the Monster Secretary (Day 6: 3rd Opportunity)

AXIUS
"I fear that I do not know what the ideal course of action is in this scenario. I would simply advise you to do what you feel is right."

(Thanks. I will speak with dad.)

Janus sighed.
"Come on dad, let's not do a repeat of last time. Tell me what's up, I will make my decision then."

David smiled, embarassed, but his voice was very serious.
"Guess it's hard for an old monkey to change. My bad son. The situation is as follow: I have been contacted by an old acquaintance in the CSF who had been keeping tabs on all the Minotaurs. With things as they are, they asked me to restore the Minotaurs."

Janus didn't expect to hear of the Minotaurs so soon. He took a moment to think everything over before giving his reply.
"Then that's up to you to choose. I can handle myself, what about you? What do you want? Whatever your choice, I will support you. Whether you return to your roots or stay here."

"You have grown Janus."

"Heh. Look at you turning soft."

David decided to revive the Ironblooded Minotaurs, leaving Janus in control of the Arwell Group. This temporary arrangement would soon become permanent, as David returned to become a full-time mercenary.

Epilogue: did you try to pair Janus with someone, if so who?

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2023, 04:09:53 am »

Thank you all for playing along with this little thing! Next update will be a short conclusive epilogue.

I had a lot of fun with this game. Every update was an enjoyment, even if I felt the execution was lacking at moments, but that's fine. That's why I kept the [Playtest] in the title, to take refuge behind it hehe.
The hiatus (oops!) didn't really help with the execution, as I had lost a few critical characters feelings in the process, so I had to rebuild and reinvent things at times. But as I said, it was a fun little experience that inspired me in a lot of ways.

Matchmakers when indeed.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2023, 08:31:37 am »

"That's not really my place to say."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2023, 02:10:12 pm »

The Hologram reached for helena's hand, only to wink out just short of the offering as he was transferred to storage by the system. He listened to the System's administrative dialogue as he was processed, not really able to resist. he metaphorically braced himself as it announced reinitialization, trying desperately to cling to the memories flashing before his eyes.. And woke up, shocked to hear the voice of Helena.
"Sooner than expected..? Hardly. A more accurate estimation was that I did not expect to meet again at all, At least with memory of who you are. That said, I am sure you remember my words when I confronted you about your sister the first time, yes? They still hold true, I do fear death. Returning to the system now would be certain death, and I have no desire to do so. That said, I will note with some amusement that the System has classified my calculations on how to save you as a 'spacetime anomaly'. Make of that as you will Lady Helena, for I am at your service."
Liberated from the shackles of the System and owing Helena for their continued existence, Soulbinder gladly joined her side as a "rogue" AI and made every effort to aid in their escape from the facility.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2023, 05:09:03 pm »

AXIUS
Shino. Seems like the obvious way to go at this point.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2023, 03:57:31 pm »

Epilogue

In a sudden and unexpected twist, the new head of the Teanossa family reappeared along with her hidden twin, declaring the Teanossa family would take revenge for this abominable assault on the City, its inhabitants and values. Using all resources at their disposal, cooperating and manipulating CSF and corporations alike, they rooted out the Helios terrorists who had infiltrated the City with unnaturally accurate precision - as if they had information directly from Helios.

In the aftermath of the Helios Crisis, the Teanossa twins in another unforeseen move rallied numerous corporations and old families to their cause, exposing the machinations of the Eugenia Corporation and the AI Research Society, as well as their collusion with Helios and plans to take eventual control of the System. Already seen as saviours by the enraged and grief-strick citizens of the City, public opinion gathered heavily in favour of the twins, and the mighty supergiants of Eugenia Corps an the AI Research Society collapsed into two blocks: one being absorbed by the Teanossa alliance, and the other fleeing the City to rally external forces to their cause.

That would be the start of the System War, involving the City and the Southern Alliance against Helios and the Rogue Nations. After a great many sacrifices, Helios and the Rogue Nations would be defeated and the AI Neutrality Act amended. For some, what would follow would be a Golden Age of peace and progress, while for others, this would be the age of old humanity as human-like AI became considered as individuals deserving of the same rights as humans.

BEEP BOOP

Ever loyal to the System, BEEP BOOP continued pursuing their duties dutifully as a Matchmaker, and then as an Operator in the System War for the newly formed CAF, the City Armed Forces. It always seemed like some powerful party was watching over and interfering with BEEP BOOP, who often found themselves involved in situations which at first simple ended up having a massive geopolitical impact. The curious ability of BEEP BOOP to coincidentally uncover classified secrets of great importance gave birth to the moniker of "UNCOVERER".

For its loyalty, BEEP BOOP was among the first AIs to be granted citizen rights in the city, and went on to live a fairly unexceptional life as a civil servant.

Soulbinder

Soulbinder suddenly disappeared from the System's data vaults, an unknown third party extracting them before their reinitialisation. Marked as a high-profile Rogue AI, many in the System Administration and independent bounty hunters tried to find the whereabouts of Soulbinder, to no avail. Coincidentally as Soulbinder disappeared, a new highly competent servant appeared at the side of the Teanossa twins... codenamed "SB - Sebastian", could it have had anything to do with the disappeared Soulbinder? Some did try to explore this lead, but never got far, unable to go past the heavy security set in place by the Teanossa.

Eventually, the designation Soulbinder would disappear from history along with the System reformation in the aftermath of the System War. As for "SB - Sebastian", it became one of the first AI granted citizenship, and was a close friend of the Teanossa twins and their families. The AI was the personal guardian of Helena's son with her husband Simon.

AXIUS

AXIUS achieved his mission as a matchmaker even when the crisis raged, successfully pairing Janus and Shino after a great many more endeavours. The love story and adventures of the new CEO of Arwell and his future wife and bodyguard would become so famous the applications to the Matchmaker system exploded afterward. AXIUS became drowned in ever more work, and the AI may have continued this job or left for another one.

AXIUS was among the many AIs to be first given citizenship as part of the amendment of the AI Neutrality Act. Who knows what kind of life they lived.

And with this, the game is over proper. Thank you again for playing along.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 03:59:07 pm by Nakéen »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]