Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25

Author Topic: The Gate of Dreams - Glass Cream (5 / 5) - 16  (Read 30442 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 9
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2023, 05:47:43 pm »

"Getting rid of this badger?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2023, 05:51:28 pm »

"But... but it goes bang, and hurts the ears."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2023, 06:03:58 pm »

"But if I don't then it goes BITE and hurts the legs!"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2023, 07:21:00 pm »

"Kill it normal!"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2023, 03:32:19 am »

"What's normal?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2023, 03:33:58 am »

"Bronze I guess? I just think it'll hurt if it goes off."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2023, 03:44:04 am »

"Fine."
Action edited.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 10
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2023, 03:20:42 pm »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 68+20-20=68
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 45
Skylord (Devastator): 31
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 17
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 14
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Spider Legs: 17, 15=15
Quote from: Constructs
Mystery Powder Badger: 1

"Lil busy!"
Powder black, made from spell of an unknown material, crackling gritty sounds, likely gunpowder? burn it!
Time to set off this thing! hopefully while I still have distance from it!
After conversing with Ignorance, I change my mind about my approach however.
Fine, I'll go with bronze then.
and I cast at the badger:
"Magi Hashastar"
and afterwards:
"Darnalda"
if those still don't do it, then I'm going to have to try to get physical with the thing and punt it out of here.
it'd be nice to keep moving, and I'd prefer to do so if we have the time and opportunity, but that might not be an option right now...

When you figure out what the badger is likely made out of, you begin preparing Words of destructive intent.

Ignorance reminds you that this might not be the best idea. Fine, maybe she's right. You have other options, though.

(Power: 1)
(Control: 5)

A tiny mote of bronze flickers into your hand. It immediately feels itchy to hold, so you drop it. Alright, plan b.

(Power: 5)
(Control: 2-1=1)

A blast of steam explodes into existence right next to you. Even without touching it, you can feel the heat emanating off it as you pull away with significant haste. That was far too close. Okay, fine, plan c.

(Punt: 6)
(Evasion: 3-1=2)
(Resilience: 2-1=1)

You drag yourself over to your unfortunate creation and slam your un-injured foot onto it. It collapses into powder, losing all form and animation.

It definitely feels like magic should be the easier option, but here you are. At least the problem's dealt with.

With that out of the way, you drag Ignorance and her weird water-fish-bat along down the road, until you turn and see Skylord whipping a giant spider-leg with an eyeball, and a weird portal hovering at the center of a number of dream-houses that are all leaning towards the portal, distorted in a way that makes you shudder internally.

Heavenly Clerk brims at her victory "Did you see that?!? I punched the leg and it went all POOF and vanished! I think at our current rate we will have all the negative feelings gone in no time!"

Anyway! I guess now I should go into the... spider nest... oh jeez... well what's the worst that could happen!... buttttt just in case Requiem! Now! FOR THERAPY AND FRIENDSHIP CHARGEEE!

Haha, did Skylord see that! Probably did. Your competence is undeniable, now!

(Power: 2)
(Control: 3)

A tiny, flimsy skillet manifests in your hand. You reckon you could give something a smack with it and it'd probably break from that.

Whatever! One smack is all it will take, if everything is as fragile as that leg-thing!

You run into the portal!

Not much happens, other than you entering a dark cavern of absolute gloominess and icky giant eggs.

What exactly were you charging again?

Then something tugs itself tight around your ankles and pulls tight, and you're sent crashing into the ground. It looks like some leathery roots have made the ground right next to your feet into their new home, and they've decided growing up your suit's legs is reasonable!

Which it really, really isn't.

"Go help with the nest!  I can handle that last one out here.  Gonna try something."

After hearing Luna's response, Skylord grunts.

Cast Tarnweywey Eatsalthlat on the final remaining leg, to try and bind it to the ground for later capture.

If it fails, go whip it out of existance.

If it works, advance into the Nest.

One leg to go. Breaking it in two would be as easy as breathing, so you feel safe experimenting a bit.

(Control: 1)
(Luck: 2)

You hear the Clerk yelp, followed by a hard thud, from within the portal. You'd like to pretend this had nothing to do with you, but the timing is a bit suspicious.

Alright, fine, you can deal with the leg the old fashioned way.

(Whiplash: 6+1=7)
(Evasion: 5,5=5)
(Resilience: 5)

Your whip lashes out, moving at unreasonable speeds. Once again, you feel strong. The leg darts away, moving far more nimbly than you'd expect, but the whip lashes around it and pulls tight. It doesn't instantly die, which is surprising. At least finishing it off should be pretty easy from here.

<There's a lot of eggs in here, and they're going to hatch soon.  I don't think I can destroy them in time.  Skylord, could you come in here and help?>

Luna frowns as she surveys the interior of the cave, then passes her new dagger to her right hand.  She reaches her bandaged hand towards the leftmost eggs, and calmly recites a spell.  She suddenly sweep her hand slowly across the entire clutch as her spell completes.

Cast: "Diaboldatact Anzakreave Wendelnelve Wendelnelve"

You hope that Skylord will arrive soon. As durable as the Clerk is, she hasn't yet proven herself to have the same level of offensive capacity the rest of your team has.

Still, a bulwark isn't a bad role to play. If only your bulwark wasn't currently lying prone, leather-like roots grown around her ankles. What an odd occurrence.

(Control: 4+1=5)
(Heart: 2+1=3)

Your image, neat as it is, doesn't quite become reality. A small, spinning ring flashes from your hand, followed by another one, followed by two more, emerging from the shadow of your hand.

It's just, they're a bit small.

(Resilience: 4)

Each one strikes an egg, and then proceed to rebound after losing most of their momentum, a disgusting squelching sound barely but distinctly audible.

They did strike four different eggs, however, not just a single one. Your intent must have played some role in that, surely?

Quote from: Outsider Spider Leg
Rage against hope. Eat it! Eat the guardian!

(Might: 4)
(Restraint: 3+1=4)

As much as it struggles, the last remaining leg can't escape the grip of its heroic oppressor.

Ignorance's W̸͕̾̓i̷͔̅t̶̖̘͈̏͗̆c̸̟͖͗̀̐̑h̵̥͓͎͔̄̚

"O-oh, Flare. W-what are you doing?"

Try to avoid getting blown up while I try to avoid thinking too hard. Cast Gottem Gyrbylert Champagne without thinking too hard about it. And stay with Flare.

If I acquire something for whacking with, whack the badger with it.

Flare, taking your very reasonable advice, defeats the powder-badger with her foot instead of anything potentially explosive.

Considering how easily it fell apart, actually, being made of suspicious powder likely made it more fragile.

(Control: 4+1=5)

Water streams from your palm, continuing to flow until you hold a baseball bat... with a fish in it.

A micro-carp is wriggling around inside your water-bat.

Despite the fluid nature of the bat, you can hold it just fine, though it is rather cold to the touch. Cold enough you wouldn't want to be immersed in it, but the carp seems just fine. What a mighty little beast.

The eggs of the Nest pulse and shudder, some of them beginning to swell.

[The Nest's eggs will hatch in [3 Turns].]

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Outsider Spider Leg (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Urban Glenn (5 / 5) - 3
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2023, 03:41:40 pm »

Alright, time to try something.
I first take a moment to plan out my next spells carefullly
I don't have the ability to use enough words at once to do this all in one go, but I think there's two ways I can try to get around that. The first one is to make the base object first, then modify it. The second way is to try to craft the spell slowly, and see if I can delay it resolving while I build up power and words for it slowly. Luckilly, I think I can test both at once. I'll try to stretch this spell out, but if it has to resolve at the midway point that'll be fine.
Now then, first I need to image what I'm making. I think the way the words work is the power is shaped by the words sequentially, so I start with the most basic aspects and build it up as I construct the spell. In which case I think I know what word order to use.
Finally, the image. I'm making a firearm out of bronze, starting with the base shape of the weapon and then modifying it further until it is ready for purpose. So I need a long and narrow bronze cylinder, with mechanisms to manipulate the gunpowder and shot that will be housed within.

And now, lets do this. I'm going to try to cast this single multi-word spell slowly, giving myself time to regain energy so that I can make it take extra words by casting over multiple turns, but if it needs to resolve right away, then that's fine.
First, the base material of the weapon, bronze.
"Magi-"
Then that material needs to be shaped into the barrel of the weapon it will eventually become.
"Renne-"
Third, it needs to be prepared to handle and manipulate the gunpowder it will contain, and pre-loaded with a small charge
"Gengae-"

Spoiler: Golden Flare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: spellbook (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 02:08:01 am by Lenglon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams
« Reply #324 on: November 05, 2023, 12:45:11 am »

Ignorance flops the bat around in her hands, getting a feel for its weight and cold and staring into the eye of the carp within.
"I consider this an unmitigated success. Nice to meet you! Do you have a name? I'm going to call you Bob. Okay Bob let's kill some outsiders! You'll help me out, right?"

Make friends with Bob! Charge into the portal and break shit with my bat! And cast Yeqselq Gurbylert Izx!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2023, 12:49:46 am »

"I'd like to capture you, but I don't have the time.  I'll just put you out of your misery."

Activate Form Augmentation.

Destroy the final leg.  Use the whip wrapped around it to drag it closer, and then stomp the leg out of existance.

Then go into the nest.  If I fail to destroy the leg, make a second attack.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Word Scratchpad (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2023, 06:32:22 am »

Cast twice: "Anzakreave Wendelnelve."

Spoiler: Luna's Vestige (click to show/hide)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 07, 2023, 01:03:47 pm »

"AHHH! OH JEEZ OH JEEZZZZ! GET IT OFF GET IT OFF GET IT OFFFFFFF!!!"

GET THIS EVIL VINE OFF ME AHHHHHHHH

Spoiler:  Heavenly Clerk (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Records (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 01:05:29 pm by Fluffe9911 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 11
« Reply #328 on: November 09, 2023, 03:59:06 am »

[Initiative:]

Quote from: Defenders
Luna's Vestige (syvarris): 76
Skylord (Devastator): 74
Heavenly Clerk (Fluffe9911): 73
Ignorance's Witch (Egan_BW): 67
Golden Flare (Lenglon): 23+20-20=23
Quote from: Outsiders
Outsider Spider Legs: 26, 47, 38=26

Cast twice: "Anzakreave Wendelnelve."

The spell's Words are the same either way, but you wonder just how consistent a given spell can be, either way. With Essences, perhaps you could attain more reliability, but nonetheless...

(Control: 1+1=2)

A tiny spinning disk of purple is flicked out from your hand, and another from the shadow. You note that the intended directionality is not conformed to, at all, though there's enough eggs that the disks hit, regardless - and accomplish nothing.

(Power: 6)
(Control: 2+1-1=2)

On your second attempt, the power you beckon swells immensely, and your control, slightly fatigued, does not handle it well.

If you were trying to aim, that would have been an issue, but other than 'in that general direction and not at the Clerk', your requirements aren't that strict.

That doesn't mean you ignore it when the primary disk and the shadow-disk fly off in completely different directions. At the very least, each of these manage to embed themselves wholly in a pair of Outsider-eggs, breaking the wretched shell and leaving them to melt into malice-laden but inanimate fog.

Two down, and if you had more control, perhaps you could have curved the shot through several more eggs.

But what can be done to increase your control, short of working with Watermelon to grow your capacity?

"I'd like to capture you, but I don't have the time.  I'll just put you out of your misery."

Activate Form Augmentation.

Destroy the final leg.  Use the whip wrapped around it to drag it closer, and then stomp the leg out of existance.

Then go into the nest.  If I fail to destroy the leg, make a second attack.

Okay, enough playing around. This thing hasn't been much of a threat - not for lack of trying - but that doesn't mean it isn't an Outsider. Time to end this.

(Reel: 5+1+1+1=8)
(Might: 6)

The evil thing fights with all its might to not get dragged in. You're stronger, though. What's it gonna do, when your form swells with the might of your soul?

(Fatality: 6+1+1+1+1=10)
(Resilience: N/A)

You grab the leg and slam it into the ground. A spiderweb of cracks echo out from underneath the dream-pavement. Your excessive force pays off, the leg is vaporized. Really, it can only be described as absolutely annihilated. It gives up the ghost, the black haze dissipating.

You get up, ready to go - but you note from the corner of your eye, a small black crystal has been left behind in the wake of the last leg of that spider-fiend. From what you can see, it's like there's a living shadow within the crystal, a microscopic fruit of misery.

"Minor dream shard detected. Purging Outsider residue."

With a flash of green-splintered-dreaming light, the crystal's black coloration fades, replaced with something clear, that you can see through on a tangible level. On the metaphysical level, however, the crystal is brimming with potential.

"Purge successful. Structure can be harvested from the pure shard to expand your soul's capacity. Some trace of the conceptual elements that made that Outsider distinct remain. Those elements could instead be extracted to allow for the use of additional Words."

[Minor Dream shard: consume to either grant all Defenders +2 Progression, or grant all Defenders access to the Words Sshyths and Shabliis.]

Fantastic. With this, everyone can get stronger. You pocket the shard, then rush through the portal.

"AHHH! OH JEEZ OH JEEZZZZ! GET IT OFF GET IT OFF GET IT OFFFFFFF!!!"

GET THIS EVIL VINE OFF ME AHHHHHHHH

Aaaa, Progenitors, there's an evil vine on your legs! Get it off! Get it offffff! It's an Outsider plot!

(Might: 6)

With strength you didn't know you had, you trip the roots off you, jump to your feet, and crash headfirst into the cavern wall. It doesn't hurt, surprisingly.

Maybe you're secretly invincible!

... or, more realistically, it's hard for something so mundane to threaten a hero like you.

You look back at the Outsider vine that surely was out to strangle you, only to find a mass of comparatively mundane leatherlike roots. Somehow, that doesn't seem like something an Outsider would create. Maybe it's the lack of a hateful aura of malice.

Skylord arrives through the portal just in time to not see you struggling with mundane roots.

Ignorance flops the bat around in her hands, getting a feel for its weight and cold and staring into the eye of the carp within.
"I consider this an unmitigated success. Nice to meet you! Do you have a name? I'm going to call you Bob. Okay Bob let's kill some outsiders! You'll help me out, right?"

Make friends with Bob! Charge into the portal and break shit with my bat! And cast Yeqselq Gurbylert Izx!

Bob the fish seems nice and ready to inflict incredible violence onto entirely deserving Outsiders. You're not sure what he's going to do, really, but he does come with a pretty nice waterbat to smack things with.

Golden Flare looks to be trying something fancy, but you're not quite so invested in waiting around, when there's a Nest to clear.

(Power: 4)
(Control: 3+1=4)

According to your newfound affinity for fish, a pair of fins vaguely resembling ears materialize atop your head. Well, to be precise, the fins are attached to a mesh of tiny tentacles that promptly embed themselves painlessly into your skull, but after that they're your head-fins. You can even flick them around a bit, and feel the flow of the air with them.

Though you swear they're getting longer.

Well, that's neat and all, and your camaraderie with Bob only grows, but you have a portal to leap into. So you do that, and arrive in a miserable cavern full of the evilest eggs you've ever seen. Luna's Vestige and the Heavenly Clerk are there too, and Skylord with her vine-whip.

Now the question is what you're all going to do about these eggs.

Alright, time to try something.
I first take a moment to plan out my next spells carefullly
I don't have the ability to use enough words at once to do this all in one go, but I think there's two ways I can try to get around that. The first one is to make the base object first, then modify it. The second way is to try to craft the spell slowly, and see if I can delay it resolving while I build up power and words for it slowly. Luckilly, I think I can test both at once. I'll try to stretch this spell out, but if it has to resolve at the midway point that'll be fine.
Now then, first I need to image what I'm making. I think the way the words work is the power is shaped by the words sequentially, so I start with the most basic aspects and build it up as I construct the spell. In which case I think I know what word order to use.
Finally, the image. I'm making a firearm out of bronze, starting with the base shape of the weapon and then modifying it further until it is ready for purpose. So I need a long and narrow bronze cylinder, with mechanisms to manipulate the gunpowder and shot that will be housed within.

And now, lets do this. I'm going to try to cast this single multi-word spell slowly, giving myself time to regain energy so that I can make it take extra words by casting over multiple turns, but if it needs to resolve right away, then that's fine.
First, the base material of the weapon, bronze.
"Magi-"
Then that material needs to be shaped into the barrel of the weapon it will eventually become.
"Renne-"
Third, it needs to be prepared to handle and manipulate the gunpowder it will contain, and pre-loaded with a small charge
"Gengae-"

Ignorance gives herself fin-ears and jumps into the Nest portal. Were those fins burrowing into her skull?

Right, moving on.

(Heart: 5)

You have something new in mind, and chant each Word in sequence, but without letting them become separate spells.

(Power: 4)
(Control: 6)

For once, it feels like the magic is on your side. You can feel it building up, but you make it clear to yourself, you're not done.

Nothing manifests, but the magic hangs in the air. At least for now, you can continue the spell. If whatever force you're calling upon slips, the Words will complete whether you want them to or not.

Still, this is fantastic progress.

[The Nest's eggs will hatch in [2 Turns].]

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Key (click to show/hide)
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Gate of Dreams - Wretched Nest (5 / 5) - 11
« Reply #329 on: November 09, 2023, 05:04:58 am »

Keep heroic form up.  Start laying into the eggs, trying to smash as many as possible.

Also..

Use my Zelthenegen essence (+1 power and control) to cast a spell, the one for the homing arrow.  Aim it to hit some more eggs.

Qunnai (Zelthenegen)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Word Scratchpad (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 09:51:44 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25