Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread  (Read 11626 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread
« on: September 04, 2022, 07:47:20 pm »

CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread

Note: For players of this game, looking at the opposing team's design thread is not permitted.

Welcome to CYOGTCG Wars. CYOGTCG is a card game where you get to design your own cards. This iteration of the game takes inspiration from the 'Arms Race' style of game. Two different factions will design cards, then pit your cards against the opposing team for control over territory. Each reason has its own modifiers that will affect how the game is played! One team will need to take over the entire map in order to win the game.

The game is split into two different phases. There is the Design Phase and the Combat Phase.

Design Phase
In each design phase you will get to fill out a card application. Each player will make their own submission. There is no 'voting' that goes on, a card will be made for every single player on the team. Note that the GM will be making the actual cards and balancing them. While it is possible to write whatever you want in the 'card effect' field, the GM can and will make any number of changes in the name of balance and there is no upper limit on how much a card may be nerfed from your original design application.

All players on your team are able to use all of the cards that your team has created.

At the start of the game, the design phase repeats until enough cards exist for each team to actually create a deck.

All cards created in the design phase can have up to six copies of themselves in a deck.

Cards obtained or modified by a Victory Effect are unique to the player who owns them, and only 1 copy of them can be put into a deck. Modified cards also count towards the base version of the card's 6 per deck limit. Note that "Victory Effects" only affect 1 copy of a card for 1 player, unless stated otherwise. Each victory effect can only modify a single card one time.

Combat Phase
After the design phase has finished and the new cards were made, each player may create a deck of 40 cards using any of the cards that their team has designed. You then choose the region that you want to fight at. Each region can only be selected by one member of your team which is first come first served.

All regions that were selected by both your team and the opposing team will automatically be designated as a battlefield. Then GM will then randomly select other regions that were chosen by only a single team. If the battlefield that you requested is selected, you will be the one who gets to play there for control of the region. Otherwise, it is selected randomly.

The GM will then direct you to the thread where you will play against your opponent, as well as randomly decide who goes first. A game of CYOGTCG is then played and the winner's team will control the territory until they lose a battle on it.

Uneven game time clause
The next design phase will typically start after at least one game has been resolved and it appears that the other in-progress games are not near completion. Long games may continue over multiple battle phases, if your battle is unfinished when the next combat phase starts then the battle will continue and control of the region will not change until it is resolved. If a still-contested region is chosen to be a battlefield in the next round, it will end as a draw and a 2v2 match will begin, with the current players using the same deck, joined by the new ones! (3v3 or larger games are also possible, but such massive games will not happen unless all players involved actually want it to be a thing.)

One player cannot be in multiple battlefields at the same time.

Inactivity clause

If a player does not post an action within 24 hours of their opponent's last action, then they will automatically forfeit the game. If it was a 2v2 game, then the remaining player on their team may continue, taking an additional turn when their inactive team-member would otherwise act and also controlling their cards already in play.

Application
In order to join, you just need to fill out an application and post it here in the Core Thread. You will then be assigned to the team with less activity by the GM, or to a random one if they are currently equal. When a player joins the game, a new region is created; and the CYOGTCG stakes rise ever higher.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

~~~

Here are the standard CYOGTCG rules. Note that game events can subvert these rules in various ways. You don't need to memorize the rules immediately, but this post can serve as a reference guide when things are unclear.

Actual card creation will be handled in-game, and will be explained as needed.

Game Rules
1) You start off each game with 20 hearts, and 5 cards in your hand. For any given game, you and your opponent may decide to start with a different amount of any of those three things.
2) If you have 0 or less hearts, you lose.
3) At the start of each turn, you draw one card.
4) Unless stated otherwise, you can only play one card per turn.
5) Cards also have hearts. If they have 0 hearts, they go away, unless stated otherwise. If a card says it has attack power, it can only damage the player directly if they have no cards defending them.
6) If a card has zero hearts when you play it, it will be destroyed after it does its effect.
7) There is a kind of resource called Stars, and you start the game with 0 of them. Strong Cards cost Stars to play, and they can be gained with the effects of weak cards. This prevents your best cards from being played immediately. Cards may also have effects that cost stars to use. (Stars carry over between turns)
8) The player who goes second starts the game with one star.
9) You can also make up your own resources for your cards if you really want.
10) Cards cannot attack on the turn they are played unless otherwise stated, and can only attack once per turn unless otherwise stated. When a card attacks another card, both cards lose hearts equal to the other card's attack
11) By default, if a card is face down it cannot be attacked. Cards may be attackable when face down, in which case this must be declared when playing the card.
12) Face Down cards cannot protect you from being attacked until it is flipped up and face down cards have no effect unless specifically stated otherwise. If a facedown card somehow does something, it will be flipped.
13) The game will typically use the honor system, so players can randomize their own deck and draw cards without GM intervention. If you suspect someone is cheating, inform the GM. Its just sad if you feel the need to cheat in this game. For grudge matches, you can request the GM do all the random stuff.
14) Strive to avoid situations which will require a retcon. Those are a big pain to clean up.
15) In the event of a disagreement, the GM will decide what happens.
16) Don't be afraid to get creative with your deckbuilding!
17) If a card says it does something "At the end of each turn", this only means your own turns unless it specifically states otherwise.
18) If a card is destroyed, or returned to its player's hand or deck, its stats and effects will return to their base values unless stated otherwise.

Relative card strength
A card that costs no stars to play would typically have a combined stat total of 5. (Example, 2 attack and 3 hearts). Useful effects will generally lower this, and detrimental effects can raise it. You can also make cards with no hearts which act like "Spells". Each star a card costs will typically raise its base stat total by 3 or 4. Very high star costs can have ridiculous effects.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:59:06 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Wars - Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:48:03 pm »

Spoiler: Victory Points (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Victory Shop (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Regions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 10:06:17 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 07:55:57 pm »

And so the derivations begin again. Will post sheet tomorrow. :)

Peace!

Character Name: Erik
Character Hairstyle: Green hair, short spiky and free. Blows about in the wind.
Character Description (Optional): A young boy wearing old-style clothes. A shirt with blue accents and khakki shorts with a pendant around his neck holding a blue riverstone. Has a fairly cheerful face with strong cheekbones and blue eyes.

Region Name: Windy Plains Zone
Region Description: A region of gently rolling hills, scattered trees, and tall grass. The wind blows and a single river cuts through it, leading to the only town in sight, Windmill Town. It's an old farming village with a number of sheep grazing the lush plains. Has a surprising amount of modernity given they use windmills for electricity.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 12:53:06 pm by TricMagic »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 08:25:23 pm »

Character Name: The Gallant Gentleman
Character Hairstyle: Blue hair fading into a navy hat. It isn't clear where the hair ends and the hat begins. Or why he is wearing a navy hat.
Character Description (Optional): A young, eager man in a sailor uniform. His constant bullying over his absurd name has given him a strong sense of justice and desire to protect the weak.

Region Name: Navy Shipyard
Region Description: A modern navy dock with various ships, submarines, and other nautical vessels to duel on. Dramatic storms and flyovers only occasionally included.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 09:24:37 pm »

Character Name: "Don" Emil Rege
Character Hairstyle: White with a dark brown streak, spiky. Feathers occasionally fall out of it.
Character Description (Optional): Claims to be the last heir of some kind of ancient royal house fallen into decay and therefore the rightful king of everyone. He's an easygoing guy and usually lets people off for not obeying him, though.

Region Name: Valley of the Kings
Region Description: A land of ancient monuments and tombs, with deep intersecting catacombs below ground where mysterious ancient creatures and artefacts are said to dwell. Emil insists he grew up in the tombs, raised by ghosts.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 04:28:14 pm »

Alright, I have gone over the applications and generated the region effects (Which can be viewed in the second post here).

The design phase has not yet officially started. If you do submit a design now however, it will be processed when it does (Though you will have to wait for everyone else).

Character Name: Erik
Character Hairstyle: Green hair, short spiky and free. Blows about in the wind.
Character Description (Optional): A young boy wearing old-style clothes. A shirt with blue accents and khakki shorts with a pendant around his neck holding a blue riverstone. Has a fairly cheerful face with strong cheekbones and blue eyes.

Region Name: Windy Plains Zone
Region Description: A region of gently rolling hills, scattered trees, and tall grass. The wind blows and a single river cuts through it, leading to the only town in sight, Windmill Town. It's an old farming village with a number of sheep grazing the lush plains. Has a surprising amount of modernity given they use windmills for electricity.

Application has been processed. Erik has been allocated to Team 1.

Character Name: The Gallant Gentleman
Character Hairstyle: Blue hair fading into a navy hat. It isn't clear where the hair ends and the hat begins. Or why he is wearing a navy hat.
Character Description (Optional): A young, eager man in a sailor uniform. His constant bullying over his absurd name has given him a strong sense of justice and desire to protect the weak.

Region Name: Navy Shipyard
Region Description: A modern navy dock with various ships, submarines, and other nautical vessels to duel on. Dramatic storms and flyovers only occasionally included.

Application has been processed. The Gallant Gentleman has been allocated to Team 2

Character Name: "Don" Emil Rege
Character Hairstyle: White with a dark brown streak, spiky. Feathers occasionally fall out of it.
Character Description (Optional): Claims to be the last heir of some kind of ancient royal house fallen into decay and therefore the rightful king of everyone. He's an easygoing guy and usually lets people off for not obeying him, though.

Region Name: Valley of the Kings
Region Description: A land of ancient monuments and tombs, with deep intersecting catacombs below ground where mysterious ancient creatures and artefacts are said to dwell. Emil insists he grew up in the tombs, raised by ghosts.

Application has been processed. "Don" Emil Rege have been allocated to Team 1.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 04:36:37 pm »

Character Name: Gruscilla the Bog Witch
Character Hairstyle: Mass of matted tangled hair with sticks and leaves in it
Character Description (Optional): Wizened old hag whose hobbies include cackling and prognosticating

Region Name: The Stinking Mire
Region Description: A dank swamp, wreathed in mist, where strange and horrible creatures lurk. They say those who go in will never find exactly what they are looking for, but they may find what they deserve.

As a former master of the cards, I am pleased to return for this exciting new format.

Small order of business, we should probably stick to one term here:

from the discard pile.
in their graveyard.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 04:51:49 pm by notquitethere »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2022, 05:12:15 pm »

Character Description (Optional): Wizened old hag whose hobbies include cackling and prognosticating

Region Description: A dank swamp, wreathed in mist, where strange and horrible creatures lurk. They say those who go in will never find exactly what they are looking for, but they may find what they deserve.

As a former master of the cards, I am pleased to return for this exciting new format.

from the discard pile.
in their graveyard.

Application has been processed. The Gruscilla the Bog Witch has been allocated to Team 2

Also, thanks for pointing out the discard/graveyard thing. I already can tell that I will use these terms interchangeably though due to some quirk in my brain. I will however, clarify that even if I use both terms at different points, they are the same thing.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2022, 05:40:42 pm »

I'm loving the region effects so far. I'm curious: how many cards can be made in subsequent design rounds, after players already have enough cards to field a deck? Just the 1? And does the first design round end as soon as 7 unique cards are made by a team (the minimum number for a 40 card deck with max 6 copies)?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 05:48:41 pm »

In each design round, all players may make one card. The only exception is the first one, which will 'repeat' until there are enough cards for a deck. 7 is the minimum for starting, but it could be 8 or even higher depending on how many players we get.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 06:06:04 pm »

from the discard pile.
in their graveyard.

Why isn’t she in high school? Anime card game witches must be in high school.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2022, 06:13:11 pm »

Her ID says 16. Pay no attention to the illusion over it.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2022, 02:29:20 am »

Her ID says 16. Pay no attention to the illusion over it.
I'm prepared to accept that as canon...

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2022, 08:48:08 pm »

Character Name: Dalloc
Character Hairstyle: A pair of cable 'pigtails' that end in plugs.
Character Description (Optional): A 'cyborg' in the sense of 'well she used to be human at least', at this point the only parts of her organic body that haven't been replaced with advanced, albeit visibly inhuman, prosthetics are those portions of the brain that technology cannot yet properly emulate. Her head in particular is a mass of protruding cameras and LED screens.

Region Name: The City
Region Description: A sprawling dystopian futuristic cityscape, where vast expanses of cramped and crime-riddled backstreet slums form veritable valleys between the towering neon heights of the high class 'Nest' districts.

(oh gosh I am so fucking eager to start reading cards that the fact I'm not in a team yet is physically painful)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 09:48:12 pm by Failbird105 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 09:49:18 pm »

Character Name: Dalloc
Character Hairstyle: A pair of cable 'pigtails' that end in plugs.
Character Description (Optional): A 'cyborg' in the sense of 'well she used to be human at least', at this point the only parts of her organic body that haven't been replaced with advanced, albeit visibly inhuman, prosthetics are those portions of the brain that technology cannot yet properly emulate. Her head in particular is a mass of protruding cameras and LED screens.

Region Name: The City
Region Description: A sprawling dystopian futuristic cityscape, where vast expanses of cramped and crime-riddled backstreet slums form veritable valleys between the towering neon heights of the high class 'Nest' districts.

(oh gosh I am so fucking eager to start reading cards that the fact I'm not in a team yet is physically painful)

Make the cards then message them to yourself. You can post them to your thread later.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15