Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31

Author Topic: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Cockroach Graveyard, Turn 23  (Read 19230 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Overflow Bin, Room 9, Turn 0
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2022, 05:34:05 pm »

Let's see. We don't really have a ton to do here, but let's scan Bugbearstein's business card before we go out; we have tabs to spare and it'd be handy information.
Also have Gray scan our club mail code, if they have a Multivernet-enabled device themselves, so we can keep contact with them - always good to have friends, right?
After examining the card and having Gray do the scan, we and our fellows can jump through the Dataflow River to exit. We should probably call it a day after that, since we're rather beaten up.

I think we should go to Omaha next, the guy who lives in the Armory, so that we can do basic crafting on our own without needing help from NPCs.

Open to suggestions and alternate proposals.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 20, 2022, 05:44:39 pm »

I wonder how much of this is his naturally cheerful demeanor and how much is selling dwellers to a bugbear so he can torture them forever. He doesn't seem too fond of the one we rescued, so probably more the former?

Let's see. We don't really have a ton to do here, but let's scan Bugbearstein's business card before we go out; we have tabs to spare and it'd be handy information.
Also have Gray scan our club mail code, if they have a Multivernet-enabled device themselves, so we can keep contact with them - always good to have friends, right?
After examining the card and having Gray do the scan, we and our fellows can jump through the Dataflow River to exit. We should probably call it a day after that, since we're rather beaten up.

I think we should go to Omaha next, the guy who lives in the Armory, so that we can do basic crafting on our own without needing help from NPCs.

+1, but I do wonder if we should go straight to the next dungeon tomorrow or try to space things out with more mundane stuff. Like asking Ai if she's getting enough sleep at lunch.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 21, 2022, 01:32:57 am »

I wonder how much of this is his naturally cheerful demeanor and how much is selling dwellers to a bugbear so he can torture them forever. He doesn't seem too fond of the one we rescued, so probably more the former?

+1, but I do wonder if we should go straight to the next dungeon tomorrow or try to space things out with more mundane stuff. Like asking Ai if she's getting enough sleep at lunch.
+1 Lets do some regular life stuff for a bit then go back to the dungeon.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 21, 2022, 03:57:08 pm »

You pull out your phone and scan Dr. Bugbearstein's business card. A new tab, with a form to fill out at your own leisure, pops up on your Multivernet browser.

The business card dissolves several seconds after you finish scanning it. You then turn your attention to Gray.

Here, scan this for my contact info.

"Alright... Um... Shit. I don't seem to have my phone on me... Or any of my possessions aside from my clothes. I honestly have no clue how I ended up in stasis at an Overflow Bin Heartstation. Somebody must have been tweaking my memory while I was under. If you want to do me a favor, could you use that Frostfinder Widget to track down my belongings. I should have enough Dubloons to cover the cost... once we find them."

I'll think about it. But I think its time to hop in the river and get out of here.

"About that... The river usually spits you out wherever you entered this dungeon from. I have no clue where or how I entered. Poindexter, can you have it drop me somewhere safe?"

"If it gets you out of my my face..."

The Heartkeeper waves a finger in the air. The river briefly glows a bright pink.

"There, I set it to dump all of you in Randy's homeroom. Now please hop in and GTFO."

You decide to obey the Heartkeeper's request, and dive into the river. For the briefest of moments you are submerged in water, before finding yourself completely dry standing in your homeroom with your three comrades.

The intercom flares to life.

"Good work in there Randy. I wouldn't worry too much about the enemies you made. It is nearly impossible to be friends with more than one of the dweller factions anyway. I'll do you a solid and make sure the rumors of what you did travel slowly, so that you have a chance to make a better impression on the other Heartkeepers as well. For now, I'd like you to spend at least a day decompressing outside of the dungeons. Gray can stay in your Homeroom until he gets a phone so you can contact him elsewhere. Mmmmmkay?"

"How about you enroll me? Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease?"

"I usually would enroll a Dweller traveling with one of my students into the highschool, but I'm going to have to think about it in your case. You are weaker and less experienced than I'd prefer a dweller to be in the outside world. Also, Heartkeeper Diantha was lazy when she synthesized you, and never bothered installing a sex or gender. Last time I sent a dweller in like that, they were teased and bullied relentlessly. Rank up or learn a few new classes, and convince a Heartkeeper to either finish your biology or harden your psychology against bullies if you'd prefer to stay as you are. Then we can talk about letting you taste the human world."

"Awwwww...."

Mr. Levy would like to spend some time outside of the Dungeons. How do you proceed?

Assets by DALL-E, Midjourney and Playground AI. Character Sheet.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (AIsg) The Level Up Club: Overflow Bin Clear!
« Reply #334 on: October 21, 2022, 04:07:22 pm »

Hmm. How about we take a walk around the school grounds, maybe do some classwork the boring way and see if we find anyone else out of the ordinary? I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of our teachers is not as ordinary as they look.

Open to suggestions/alternate proposals.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 21, 2022, 04:19:21 pm »

Hmm. How about we take a walk around the school grounds, maybe do some classwork the boring way and see if we find anyone else out of the ordinary? I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of our teachers is not as ordinary as they look.

+1

Let's enter "Gray's Lost Possessions" into the Frostseeker as requested. Might give us an idea for our next dungeon, though I'm still partial to getting our own crafting station.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 21, 2022, 08:19:14 pm »

+1

Let's enter "Gray's Lost Possessions" into the Frostseeker as requested. Might give us an idea for our next dungeon, though I'm still partial to getting our own crafting station.
+1.  Should we sign up for Dark Hyperion University?

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 21, 2022, 08:20:20 pm »

Should we sign up for Dark Hyperion University?
I feel like we should wait on this until we can find more info about it. Which, unfortunately, might be tricky...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 21, 2022, 09:34:11 pm »

You know, that's a good question. Affiliating ourselves with the evil bugbear university sounds... a bit treasonous, and definitely immoral. Presumably not very popular, though we don't seem to be popular with anyone except the specific faction we allied with.

I think I'm leaning away from it, but we are friendly (or at least have resolved things less homicidally than necessary) with at least two bugbears, so there's that.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 21, 2022, 10:40:51 pm »

You open your phone and enter "Gray's Lost Possessions" into the Frostseeker widget. Upon clicking submit, your pocket feels slightly lighter.

-1 Dubloon

"Very good, Randy Boy. I believe clever use of the Frostseeker is a strong indicator of success in the Level Up Club. Best familiarize yourself with it early and often. Right after leaving a dungeon is probally the best time to buy a quote, too. By the time they get back to you, it should be safe to go back in."

---

You spend a few days attending classes normally, keeping a close eye on your teachers under the assumption that some of them may know or be more than they let on. You can't find any proof on any teacher, but you note the Algebra instructor, Mr. Frasier, seems to single you out and treat you with contempt and cruelty at every given opportunity. He had not done so on your first day of school, before you joined the Level Up Club.

Jeremy, the sole dweller in your algebra class, seems afraid of Mr. Frasier, but is not subject to his abuse as you are. You consider talking to him about it, but judging by his nerdy appearance Jeremy is unlikely to do you any favors at this point.

On your second day of attending classes normally, you catch Mr. Frasier wearing a gold lapel pin that looks oddly familiar.

It is only that night while you are sitting in your bedroom, looking over your inventory, and fantasizing about your next trip into the dungeons that you recognize the pin. The leather strap of your Kite Shield "February" bears the same symbol!

---

You also spend some time strolling the school grounds, trying you figure out where some more dungeons might be, and manage to pick up a couple leads.

An Ice Cream Truck visits the parking lot every day at lunch. The driver is a large and scaly person, clearly not human, and a disproportionate amount of his clientele are Dwellers, many of whom get out of line and refuse to conduct their transactions while you are around and watching.

A large concentration of bat-like creatures with vaguely humanoid faces can be found hanging around the corridor with the classrooms in the 300's. None of the normal students seem to notice them, but sometimes you pick up an English word or two among their squeaks. One of them tries to approach you, and strike up a conversation about Gray of all things, but another student rounds the corner two seconds into the discussion and the creature bolts. You note that it and its kin seem to be primarily coming and going from above a loose tile on the ceiling.

---

It has been 3 days since your adventure in the Overflow Bin. School is letting out. As you walk through the hallway toward your bus, your phone buzzes. You have a new message from Frostseeker on your Level Up Club Support Page Inbox, offering to lead you to Gray's belongings for one additional Dubloon.

As you walk out the door, you see your bus. You also see your loose lipped dweller friend Crow on her own standing on the sidewalk. Just off school grounds. Perhaps she will be willing and able to speak freely standing there, but the bus will be leaving soon. You probally only have time to ask her one question.

How do you proceed? Do you take this opportunity to fish for some information from Crow?

Assets by DALL-E and Playground AI. Character Sheet.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 21, 2022, 10:47:38 pm »

Hm! The plot thickens...

Let's fork over another Dubloon for that quote so we can get Gray back their stuff - is only fair and we have Dubloons to spare, anyway.
Also ask Crow about the pin and its connection to Mr. Frasier.

I have to wonder if Frasier is a) a Heartkeeper (who'd have thought?) or b) a powerful figure in his own right. Dwellers seem to fear Heartkeepers for good reason, since Heartkeepers can mess them up real bad if they want. Alternately Jeremy might be afraid of the guy simply because he's powerful and not to be trifled with.

As usual, feel free to comment with suggestions/alternate proposals.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 21, 2022, 10:52:44 pm »

Hm! The plot thickens...

Let's fork over another Dubloon for that quote so we can get Gray back their stuff - is only fair and we have Dubloons to spare, anyway.

+1

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 21, 2022, 10:58:40 pm »

Hm! The plot thickens...

+1
+1

Other good questions might include "what do dweller factions want" and "what's up with the bats," but Mr. Frasier's definitely one of the best quick answers we could hope for.

...say, should we try meeting up with Crow outside of school sometime to get a bunch of info from her?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 21, 2022, 11:04:11 pm »

That probably would be helpful, and we could exchange Multivernet contact information with her as well.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 21, 2022, 11:35:10 pm »

Hm! The plot thickens...

You approach Crow, and after some very brief introductory Smalltalk, you ask about Mr. Frasier.

"Mr. Frasier? He's cool. A member of the High Score Table - a group of Level Up Club Alumni from the 70's or something who use this town as their base of multiversal power. They do all sorts of helpful things, let maintain the perception charms on this town. Nice guy if you get to know him."

He wasn't being that nice to me.

"Oh. ...Oh. Right. You are human. Part of the High Score Table's deal is that... well... they don't want anyone to rival their power. They Gatekeep the dungeoneering experience for humans. Go out of their way to terrorize and hinder Level Up Club members to scare them off. Zach says they will even  disappear Club Members' non human friends and party members, so fuck. Should I start being more careful around him? I think he only took the teaching job so he can spot club members and call them out to his comrades."

Mr. Levy is okay with this?

"He's as soft on his alumni as he is protective of his current students."

Shit. Well I got to catch the bus, and now I have something to worry about on the ride. Thanks for the heads up, Crow.

"No problem, buddy."

---

To take your mind off of the scary intel you just picked up, you pay another Dubloon to check out the intel that Frostseeker got you on Gray's belongings.

-1 Dubloon

New Information appears on your Multivernet browser. Apparently Gray's belongings have been stolen by somebody named Chihuahua Joe in a dungeon called the Cockroach Graveyard.

How do you proceed?

Assets by DALL-E. Character Sheet.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 31