Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 34783 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #510 on: July 20, 2023, 02:47:13 pm »

hello I would like to shoot at things

Me too
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2023, 02:47:52 pm »

Indaria is completely combat-focused for a reason. I'm fully prepared to wait quite a lot, it's WAY better to have a good reason to be in conflict than to have conflict for conflict's sake (and this is part of why warp incusions suck, because they're completely arbitrary and if your character is heavily mentally debilitated then they aren't even going to be able to act like themselves (the character that you signed up to play) anymore.

as a quick example of uninteresting combat->when Kedia and Indaria were attacked in the night by a random Rex. no tactics, no significance, no stakes, no strategy, just pull the trigger until the problem goes away, then go back to sleep and pretend the encounter never happened at all. Indaria's concerns about how the Rex found us in the first place was part of that, if instead of it just being arbitrary it was actually a hit taken on the group by a beast tamer, and said tamer was setting up progressively more dangerous and complex traps and ambushes, trying to figure out why he was out for us and what to do about it both short and long-term would have made for a highly engaging combat encounter chain. And if you had wanted to set up for that and not actually give information away an easy way to do that was when Indaria was concerned about why the Rex was attacking in the first place you could have said "You're right. It shouldn't have attacked you. Happened anyway though!" Says nothing and retains immersion but acknowledges that Indaria is missing important information that explains why that happened, which at the time doesn't make sense, actually does make sense.

Objective-focused combat, for example if we had a warp incursion where instead of simply holding position and waiting it out we had to make our way through the ship from A to B with a vague but ever-looming-and-progressing time limit, say make it from the bridge to the Geller Field Generator before the defenses around said generator collapsed and an intruder took it completely offline, is far, FAR more engaging than simply combat for combat's sake. There is combat tactics, overall pathing and strategy, oportunities to pull in reinforcements from the crew and to handle unexpected things found along the way, meaningful stakes without them being so high that it trivializes future threats, etc. That's the kind of combat that I like, combat that makes you think.

So don't rush things, but yes, am bored atm.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 20, 2023, 02:54:56 pm »

Does anyone have a cybernetic upgrade in mind? I guess upgrading a dinosaur might be a good idea since it's a local specialty.

And hey, we should probably be happy we're all back and moving at a nice clip. I just didn't figure it was a good idea to try and murder Triggvaldr after all since Marco does have some interest in the continued health of his crew. :P

I do forget if the World Spirit told us where to dig though.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 20, 2023, 03:06:51 pm »

Indaria is completely combat-focused for a reason. I'm fully prepared to wait quite a lot, it's WAY better to have a good reason to be in conflict than to have conflict for conflict's sake (and this is part of why warp incusions suck, because they're completely arbitrary and if your character is heavily mentally debilitated then they aren't even going to be able to act like themselves (the character that you signed up to play) anymore.

as a quick example of uninteresting combat->when Kedia and Indaria were attacked in the night by a random Rex. no tactics, no significance, no stakes, no strategy, just pull the trigger until the problem goes away, then go back to sleep and pretend the encounter never happened at all. Indaria's concerns about how the Rex found us in the first place was part of that, if instead of it just being arbitrary it was actually a hit taken on the group by a beast tamer, and said tamer was setting up progressively more dangerous and complex traps and ambushes, trying to figure out why he was out for us and what to do about it both short and long-term would have made for a highly engaging combat encounter chain. And if you had wanted to set up for that and not actually give information away an easy way to do that was when Indaria was concerned about why the Rex was attacking in the first place you could have said "You're right. It shouldn't have attacked you. Happened anyway though!" Says nothing and retains immersion but acknowledges that Indaria is missing important information that explains why that happened, which at the time doesn't make sense, actually does make sense.

Objective-focused combat, for example if we had a warp incursion where instead of simply holding position and waiting it out we had to make our way through the ship from A to B with a vague but ever-looming-and-progressing time limit, say make it from the bridge to the Geller Field Generator before the defenses around said generator collapsed and an intruder took it completely offline, is far, FAR more engaging than simply combat for combat's sake. There is combat tactics, overall pathing and strategy, oportunities to pull in reinforcements from the crew and to handle unexpected things found along the way, meaningful stakes without them being so high that it trivializes future threats, etc. That's the kind of combat that I like, combat that makes you think.

So don't rush things, but yes, am bored atm.

Kaidia told you why the Rex attacked, and that was supposed to be a difficult combat encounter :V. Not really my fault the Space Elves are overpowered.

Well it is kinda my fault. But still. The World Spirit sent those creatures to deter you and everyone else understood that both IC and OOC

Does anyone have a cybernetic upgrade in mind? I guess upgrading a dinosaur might be a good idea since it's a local specialty.

And hey, we should probably be happy we're all back and moving at a nice clip. I just didn't figure it was a good idea to try and murder Triggvaldr after all since Marco does have some interest in the continued health of his crew. :P

I do forget if the World Spirit told us where to dig though.

The Eldar Liaison gave you the coordinates when you chose this mission

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 20, 2023, 03:24:05 pm »

Ok yea, I thought that might be the case but I wasn't sure. Time to get digging!
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 20, 2023, 03:29:16 pm »

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 20, 2023, 04:17:18 pm »

I'd forgotten it was in the heart of the fortress. Shit.
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 20, 2023, 04:59:57 pm »

Does it have like an obvious energy signature? I do want a good way to breach the subject to the Governor since I can't just well wander in there.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 20, 2023, 06:55:48 pm »

Does it have like an obvious energy signature? I do want a good way to breach the subject to the Governor since I can't just well wander in there.

Not to mundane sensors, but it’s psionic presence is visible to anyone who can sense such things from the other side of the world.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2023, 07:00:07 pm »

and I think Kedia and Indaria did both tell you about that, so I think you do know about it and can simply say your navigator told you.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 20, 2023, 07:05:06 pm »

Gotcha.
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 20, 2023, 10:03:01 pm »

Oh, that was surprising and actually made me go and check Maximum's sheet. I didn't know he was going to join and that Triggvaldr was actually his, hahaha.

Probably one of the few people who didn't see it coming from a mile away.

How would things even work if I'd picked Icewhite and we'd ended up with two RTs with ships btw? Icewhite's ship would remain under repairs until it was convenient storywise for it to return?
>Yes?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 20, 2023, 10:11:50 pm »

How would things even work if I'd picked Icewhite and we'd ended up with two RTs with ships btw? Icewhite's ship would remain under repairs until it was convenient storywise for it to return?
Quote from: discord
Stirk: If they choose Twigg they’ll be able to recover it, and you’ll have some points to customize it like a starting ship.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2023, 10:21:26 pm »

Now I'm sad I didn't pick Icewhite so we could force you into horrible tests by the Genetor for the benefit of the group.

That and because a ship on a PC's hands is better than on a NPC's.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm happy with the current pick, I'm not asking for a do-over. I keep forgetting people who haven't been years around me over games and Discord aren't familiar with me being like this.

Also sorry about the delay getting to recruit you. :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:18:21 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 21, 2023, 03:50:24 pm »

I forget, do we even need to be stealthy? If they love the Imperium as much as it's said, we might get away with showing the Regent's orders since they're legit.

Though we might still want to start excavating to retrieve the eldar artifacts that are our payment before we get into any talks that might see the Governor turn hostile.

Edit: MHMMM.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 04:19:33 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47