Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 34891 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2022, 04:11:48 pm »

We can rejigger positions if more people join but yeah, First Officer is the best mix of necessary and useful for Symonne.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2022, 04:21:48 pm »

And Kedia needs one to slap anything that could be used as a weapon off her hands.
Friggin uncivilized primates, the knife is a proud tradition. Gotta have something to plunge into my heart if FUCKING SHEWHOTHIRSTS decides to show up and take my soul in person.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2022, 08:59:17 pm »

Remember that Indaria has psynisense, so she would be able to apply the bonus in case of warp incursion as well. Also, it's specifically what I've been setting her up to do well.
You can have that job with those bonuses if you want it.
? I said that would be the job Indaria would have accepted. As for if those are the bonuses, as I said, I'm leaving that in your hands. I have no need to know.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2022, 09:09:52 pm »

Stirk is just trying to work with you, Lenglon. It's a pretty good attitude compared to quite a few GMs I've seen.

And while Lenglon might not mind much, since I'm trying to compile a list of roles and bonuses soon I think applying the bonus to Perception tests in general would solve the problem neatly since it applies to all if not the most relevant security-related skills, and it isn't too big a deal because it's a pretty narrow usage window that might not even come up but fits the ship role itself.

Edit: Or, you know. Just go for the ship mascot thing since Lenglon greenlit it and it might actually be more appropriate than giving an aberration an actual position of authority I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 09:47:51 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2022, 09:42:51 pm »

??
I know Stirk is trying to be nice and work with me, I'm just trying to explain that I don't actually have any need / desire to know for sure what the role actually is. I would like to just leave it in Stirk's hands, I trust Stirk will apply what seems appropriate. This way there won't be any dissonance between Indaria's view of her role and my own, but her actual role could be whatever.

The reason this matters is the whole mascot thing. from Indaria's point-of-view that would be a nonsensical role for her, but as Stirk themselves said, the ship roles seem to be only active while on-ship, and on-ship it is very unlikely for there to be threats to the ship's lord-captain n(if the bonus were available while off-ship the optimizer would switch sides by the way). This means that weirdly enough improving ship morale is actually the most powerful bonus type that Stirk suggested. This has resulted in my inner optimizer finding that to be the best option, and as a player I would find it pretty funny and amusing, but from a character perspective, there's just no way that would be a thing Indaria would go for or be able to make sense of herself. That does NOT mean that it isn't a position that could be imposed on her unexpectedly, and when she joined up her primary goal was just getting off-planet, she wasn't picky about it.

The simplest resolution to this is for her assigned job to be security, as stated, but her actual job doesn't have to be what she thinks it is. But I as her player would find it a lot easier to keep things straight in my head if my perspective and knowledge is as close to what hers is as possible. Meaning that from MY perspective as well, it should at least seem like her job is security.  So, I do not want to have positive confirmation of her job or bonuses. I can leave them from MY perspective as ??. This also means that Stirk will actually be free to retroactively change it depending on what her role turns out to be in practice as we are actually playing the game. And from my perspective I won't even know that anything changed.

Does this make sense? I honestly don't want to know, and I trust Stirk, so why not just leave it to Stirk?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2022, 09:45:41 pm »

And I just tried to convey that you were sounding a bit snippy.
>Yes?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2022, 09:51:31 pm »

Oh. whoops. I didn't mean to do that. Sorry Stirk!

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2022, 10:37:29 pm »

Whew. Good for my FP pool.

Since this was a 'good' Astronomicon-less Warp voyage all things considered, Marco's command throne probably needs a servitor just to wipe off his sweat. And Kedia needs one to slap anything that could be used as a weapon off her hands.

You should have intentionally run into a Warp Incursion just so everyone else had something to do. Everyone else was bored to tears :(

??
I know Stirk is trying to be nice and work with me, I'm just trying to explain that I don't actually have any need / desire to know for sure what the role actually is. I would like to just leave it in Stirk's hands, I trust Stirk will apply what seems appropriate. This way there won't be any dissonance between Indaria's view of her role and my own, but her actual role could be whatever.

The reason this matters is the whole mascot thing. from Indaria's point-of-view that would be a nonsensical role for her, but as Stirk themselves said, the ship roles seem to be only active while on-ship, and on-ship it is very unlikely for there to be threats to the ship's lord-captain n(if the bonus were available while off-ship the optimizer would switch sides by the way). This means that weirdly enough improving ship morale is actually the most powerful bonus type that Stirk suggested. This has resulted in my inner optimizer finding that to be the best option, and as a player I would find it pretty funny and amusing, but from a character perspective, there's just no way that would be a thing Indaria would go for or be able to make sense of herself. That does NOT mean that it isn't a position that could be imposed on her unexpectedly, and when she joined up her primary goal was just getting off-planet, she wasn't picky about it.

The simplest resolution to this is for her assigned job to be security, as stated, but her actual job doesn't have to be what she thinks it is. But I as her player would find it a lot easier to keep things straight in my head if my perspective and knowledge is as close to what hers is as possible. Meaning that from MY perspective as well, it should at least seem like her job is security.  So, I do not want to have positive confirmation of her job or bonuses. I can leave them from MY perspective as ??. This also means that Stirk will actually be free to retroactively change it depending on what her role turns out to be in practice as we are actually playing the game. And from my perspective I won't even know that anything changed.

Does this make sense? I honestly don't want to know, and I trust Stirk, so why not just leave it to Stirk?

Mascot would involve doing like, actual mascoty things if it was your actual job. You'd go around intentionally raising morale and acting like an icon for the ship. A particularly dull character might be convinced they're doing a different job but I don't think it'd be possible for me to hide it from the player unless you can also be convinced that the "Security is Everybody's Business!" posters going up around the ship need a catgirl doing a cute pose to be effective.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2022, 11:27:21 pm »

Solid point, thank you, I misunderstood your intent. Security it is!

and they DO require that, otherwise people would ignore them!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2022, 12:00:05 am »

You should have intentionally run into a Warp Incursion just so everyone else had something to do. Everyone else was bored to tears :(

Hey, Kedia was tearing up for completely unrelated reasons. I'm sure the travel got her blood pumping out of her body.
>Yes?

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2022, 12:06:12 am »

And does that mean that the fortress has orbital defenses?
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2022, 12:13:42 am »

And does that mean that the fortress has orbital defenses?

Passive scanners don’t note any, but you can safely assume that a fortress world is capable of engaging orbital targets in some way (or it would presumably have been bombed to pieces)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2022, 12:17:20 am »

True, true. I was thinking about the most common defense mechanism but I suppose it's a big enough fortress it makes sense it could have some void-reaching launcher-based defenses.
>Yes?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2022, 01:03:58 am »

Probably a good time to remind everyone they can also do things, especially during conversations, without needing the RT's permission.

Mostly since I feel like many of you didn't get the chance to do anything the last few days >_>

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2022, 09:36:16 am »

I forgot to say but Indaria can talk as long as it isn't a video-call, but our elfdar probably shouldn't since they tend to sound different even when speaking Gothic. Different vocal chords and all that.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47