Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)  (Read 34896 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Laughing Gold (OOC)
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2022, 01:37:52 pm »

any good one? a DM that lets dice completely ruin their campaign is a bad DM.

dice fudging is a time-honored tradition of DMs that don't want stupid BS ranging from having a TPK in the first encounter for a new player to having the BBEG get shipwrecked and drown in the final stages of their plan with no PC involvement whatsoever.
No, a good GM takes what he gets, and makes it work anyway. The downed party are saved by a passing mercenary who forces them to work to pay off the debt, and the villain comes back as a powerful sea-ghoul with a connection to terrible undersea gods.

If you're just going to ignore the die unless it suits you, why even bother rolling it? Might as well just sit at home and write fanfiction alone.
Both of those are examples of fudging them in the exact way I'm advocating for though. I'm not saying the dice shouldn't determine things, I'm just saying you shouldn't let them ruin the game. In both your examples you are twisting the results in a very mild way, but one that makes it so the dice didn't ruin the game as a whole.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2022, 01:44:55 pm »

Twisting the dice results while looking forwards is good GMing. Outright fudging the dice is, while potentially less creative, also good GMing. Fully letting the mechanics throw you off the rails is only good if the players are signed up for that, in which case it's just good GMing.

All on the same page? Yes?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2022, 01:52:29 pm »

Twisting the dice results while looking forwards is good GMing. Outright fudging the dice is, while potentially less creative, also good GMing. Fully letting the mechanics throw you off the rails is only good if the players are signed up for that, in which case it's just good GMing.

All on the same page? Yes?
No, I disagree with the middle one. The middle one is lame, the other two are fine.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2022, 03:40:08 pm »

Good GMing is a myth. Top scientists have proven it is impossible.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2022, 04:34:27 pm »

Having actually reviewed the rules for damage, I'm pretty sure that my 2 damage healed itself before we even arrived. Oh well.

(While lightly damaged, which for me is being at or under 6 damage, you heal 1 damage per day without having to do anything in particular. Even strenuous activity like Navigating doesn't seem to stop this healing.)

That's actually more forgiving than I figured, but I guess folks gotta be tough in the grimdark future. And there's probably lots of things which can dish out more than 6 damage quickly.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2022, 05:38:16 pm »

Having actually reviewed the rules for damage, I'm pretty sure that my 2 damage healed itself before we even arrived. Oh well.

(While lightly damaged, which for me is being at or under 6 damage, you heal 1 damage per day without having to do anything in particular. Even strenuous activity like Navigating doesn't seem to stop this healing.)

That's actually more forgiving than I figured, but I guess folks gotta be tough in the grimdark future. And there's probably lots of things which can dish out more than 6 damage quickly.

You could always do more self harm if you are disappointed. The catgirl isn’t watching.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2022, 10:04:58 pm »

You can potentially get a lot of powerful nonsense from those rolls.

Power armor that is immune to penetration and givers +10 to dodge rolls.
An automatic rifle that gets two free DOS on a hit and either accurate or make it do 1d10+9 damage

It's cool powerful nonsense though! We never got something that extreme, though whether it was because of the amount of luck necessary for those perfect matches or the GM picking the most appropriate results I don't remember. I remember we ended up with a very fancy multicompass and a super-shiny bionic respiratory system.

You could always do more self harm if you are disappointed. The catgirl isn’t watching.

What if she wants the catgirl to be watching?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2022, 12:01:32 am »

She could shout "Hey watch this!" first?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2022, 12:05:09 am »

She could shout "Hey watch this!" first?
Valid
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2022, 12:14:45 am »

I don't think that I'll have my character engage in purely recreational self harm?
I mean if you're gonna get a catgirl involved then you may as well have her be the one harming you.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2022, 12:18:38 am »

I don't think that I'll have my character engage in purely recreational self harm?
I mean if you're gonna get a catgirl involved then you may as well have her be the one harming you.

The catgirl wouldn’t hurt a fly that was both a xeno and a heretic

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 31, 2022, 12:20:17 am »

Are you suggesting that an Arch Militant would pass up a chance to commit violence? We're talking about the guys who got where they are by fighting everything possible and are now perpetually bored on account of running out of easily encountered worthy foes.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 31, 2022, 12:24:43 am »

Are you suggesting that an Arch Militant would pass up a chance to commit violence?
Been there

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 31, 2022, 12:28:22 am »

Are you suggesting that an Arch Militant would pass up a chance to commit violence? We're talking about the guys who got where they are by fighting everything possible and are now perpetually bored on account of running out of easily encountered worthy foes.

I’m pretty sure your AM decided the greatest fight is the fight against violence itself. Your enemies will face the wrath of gentle kitty hugs

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 31, 2022, 12:31:06 am »

Yes.

Reminder of Indaria's choice to leave her home in the first place. She may not shy away from combat, but she's not stupid. She survived to where she is by fighting everything possible and is now perpetually bored because there aren't things actively trying to murder her at all times anymore. That isn't the same as wanting things back to being like that.

If she was just going to fight because she saw a possible worthy foe she'd have taken on the Harlequin.

I’m pretty sure your AM decided the greatest fight is the fight against violence itself. Your enemies will face the wrath of gentle kitty hugs

No, the greatest fight is the fight against yourself. Violence is a perfectly valid and useful tool, and there's nothing wrong with using a tool properly in the proper situation.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47