Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130155 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #870 on: August 19, 2022, 03:53:21 am »

Surprised it took so long for Russia to decide to blow up the power plant and blame it on the Ukraine, not sure why they're saying it out loud.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 19, 2022, 04:48:16 am »

Surprised it took so long for Russia to decide to blow up the power plant and blame it on the Ukraine, not sure why they're saying it out loud.

I really-really doubt that they will actually blow up* the station and cause a planetary-level ecological catastrophe. But damaging it enough to force a complete shutdown and Fukushima-level disaster with minor local contamination - why not? Resulting panic alone (and Ukrainians have a quite high level of radiation phobia) is a great tactical result.

*Should Ukraine get a successful counter-offensive and approach the station... it will become far more likely.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 19, 2022, 04:07:13 pm »

I've already commented a bit on the Junior Reporter thread, but I'll put together my overall theory at this time in this thread:

Russia wants to keep the Zaporizhzhia plant intact.  They intend to cut the power currently being supplied to Ukraine and divert it to parts of the country they control (and probably divert some back to Russia itself). Russia also intends to keep using the plant as a base from which they can attack Ukraine without counterattack.
This creates an area that Russia can keep regardless of the outcome of the war in other areas.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 19, 2022, 04:15:42 pm »

I've already commented a bit on the Junior Reporter thread, but I'll put together my overall theory at this time in this thread:

Russia wants to keep the Zaporizhzhia plant intact.  They intend to cut the power currently being supplied to Ukraine and divert it to parts of the country they control (and probably divert some back to Russia itself). Russia also intends to keep using the plant as a base from which they can attack Ukraine without counterattack.
This creates an area that Russia can keep regardless of the outcome of the war in other areas.
That only works if Ukraine can't cut them off from supplies. If the plant's surrounded they'll be left with airdropping them in instead, and makes reinforcements pretty damn difficult to get in so Ukraine can just bleed them white instead.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 19, 2022, 04:17:39 pm »

That only works if Ukraine can't cut them off from supplies. If the plant's surrounded they'll be left with airdropping them in instead, and makes reinforcements pretty damn difficult to get in so Ukraine can just bleed them white instead.

Then the Russians claim that the plant will explode if they are unable to bring supplies to the plant.  By which they mean, let them ferry military reinforcements from Russia through the plant, or they'll trigger a meltdown.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 19, 2022, 04:22:49 pm »

True. Makes me wonder if there'd be a game of chicken then, or if Ukraine would just attempt to storm it. If the former I'd not put it past Russia to let it meltdown, if the latter we'd expect heavy casualties.

Or maybe Ukraine would say "Sure, so long as we can look at the supplies first" followed by Russia inevitably saying "No because you'll [insert bollocks reasoning not to let them see the food/ammo/fuel/personnel]"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 19, 2022, 04:26:43 pm »

If the only part of Ukraine still in Russia's hands was Zaporizhzhia, then Ukraine would take the plant by force.

EDIT: Man I'm stupid. The reason this is an issue is because Russia doesn't actually control the area around Zaporizhzhia anymore.
HOWEVER, there appears to be a sea route to Zaporizhzhia.  So basically, if this wasn't a super-careful nuclear plant, it would already be in Ukraine's hands.
At least according to the maps that I'm looking at.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682
https://liveuamap.com/

EDIT2: Essentially, the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is an island of Russian control in the middle of Ukraine's territory, and the Russians are using it to attack the Ukrainians essentially from behind their lines.  Russia's making it clear they won't be surrendering the plant, and that Russia could trigger a meltdown if they are deprived of the plant.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 19, 2022, 04:42:14 pm »

Sounds like the setup for a late 90s American action movie.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 19, 2022, 04:56:48 pm »

Sounds like the setup for a late 90s American action movie.
Unfortunately, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris are too old.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 19, 2022, 09:53:11 pm »

EDIT2: Essentially, the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is an island of Russian control in the middle of Ukraine's territory, and the Russians are using it to attack the Ukrainians essentially from behind their lines.

Ehm? No. You are very mistaken. Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is located near Enerhodar, on the Russian-controlled side of the Dnipro river. They use it to lob shells across the river...

It is called Zaporizhia nuclear plant not because it is located in (near) the city of Zaporizhzhia (which had seen no Russian coming close) but because it is located in the region with the same name.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 20, 2022, 12:42:12 am »

EDIT2: Essentially, the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant is an island of Russian control in the middle of Ukraine's territory, and the Russians are using it to attack the Ukrainians essentially from behind their lines.

Ehm? No. You are very mistaken. Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant is located near Enerhodar, on the Russian-controlled side of the Dnipro river. They use it to lob shells across the river...

It is called Zaporizhia nuclear plant not because it is located in (near) the city of Zaporizhzhia (which had seen no Russian coming close) but because it is located in the region with the same name.

Oops, sorry. Back to the possibly-accurate maps I guess.

Edit: I'm no military strategist, but I see zero tactical reason for Ukraine to shell anywhere near the Plant.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 20, 2022, 04:05:49 am »

Seems like using the power plant as a base is the smartest thing Russia has done this entire war.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: August 20, 2022, 10:51:08 am »

Edit: I'm no military strategist, but I see zero tactical reason for Ukraine to shell anywhere near the Plant.

Counter-shelling comes to mind. If the Russians have artillery stationed in the area then destroying that artillery necessitates firing near the plant. Leaving the artillery standing is not practical in the event of trying to retake the area, or even just if the Russians can shell somewhere important from it.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 21, 2022, 01:50:07 am »

The daughter of a close ally to Russia's President Vladimir Putin has reportedly been killed near Moscow.

According to state media, Darya Dugina died after her car exploded in flames while she was driving home.

It is thought that her father, the Russian philosopher Alexander Dugin who is known as "Putin's brain," may have been the intended target of the attack.

Mr Dugin is a prominent ultra-nationalist ideologue who is believed to be close to the Russian president.

According to Russian media outlet 112, the pair were due to travel back from an event on Saturday evening in the same car before Mr Dugin made the decision to travel separately from his daughter at the last minute.

I am curious what happened there

Option 1) Spiders started eating each other in expectation of drastic changes in Russia
Option 2) My dream of Ukrainian Massad tasked with executing criminals became a reality

In any case, I am very happy to see this daughter of a genocidal fascist (as fascist as her father) getting a tiny bit of karma. And I want MORE. I want to see those Russian "philosophers", "journalists", "diplomats", "artists" living in fear. Crimes against humanity should not remain unpunished (and there no court that will ever get them)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 21, 2022, 06:13:20 am »

Just a pity that the fascist Dugin didn't blow up with the car.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 167