Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: DEEP SPACE: Space vampires and work safety  (Read 35575 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DEEP SPACE
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2022, 07:51:14 am »

head to the hole with Ganbatta, and help figure out a way down. Use my telekenisis if we can't figure out a good mundane way. 

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2022, 11:28:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

“Could it work with a fist?”

Learn vacuum cleave.
"I have never seen it done with fists. I suppose it may be possible but I would not know how to teach it that way, I'm afraid" The Watcher says.

learn Vacuum cleave if possible, otherwise Jim will beg his leave to earn a melee weapon, then heard towards the hole
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)
Without a melee weapon of some kind it seems impossible to learn. So you head towards the Steel Pit.

head to the hole with Ganbatta, and help figure out a way down. Use my telekenisis if we can't figure out a good mundane way. 

Head to the giant ragged hole and try to figure out a way down. Ask any nearby locals how the locals usually get into the ship and back out again.

"Damn it I need inside I guess I'll go find that big hole and try that."
Go find that big hole in the ground and see if there's a way inside through that.
"Huh.  I guess it really is just that simple."

Filament shot, and climb to the central island.  There a hole leading further down?

Spoiler: Maxwell Hardberger (click to show/hide)
The sands give way to bare alien metal as you get closer to the enormous hole, the edges of which are slightly bowed upwards.  You scramble up the sloped metal and to the edge of the pit. The hole is not a clean one; its edges are ragged and all manner of wires, tubes, and pipes jut out like broken teeth. Some of these pipes still disgorge a steady stream of chemicals down into the pit. About 30 or 40 meters down you can see, it by the light of the red sun, a great swamp of god knows what chemicals and shattered machinery. In the center of this mire is what looks like an island made of tight clustered conduits, pipes, and mechanisms.

Jim, Hlaine, Gambatta, and Bob all trudge to the edge of the steel pit at roughly the same time; each showing up only a minute or two before or after the others. And they all notice each other, as well as Maxwell, who is apparently preparing to descend.

[4]

Maxwell points the filament gun down at the central island and fires. The filament bundle unspools so fast as to be invisible until it strikes the island below. Its not a direct hit; the filament instead lands just to the side of the island, on its "shore" so to speak. Maxwell shrugs and presses the tip of the filament gun against the edge of the hole; securing the other end  to the line to the metal before pressing the button to cut it. He slings the gun back over his shoulder and inspects the filament line: its taut but has some flex and spring to it still. He lays on the edge and gives the line several good tugs to make sure it won't detach. When he's certain- or as certain as he can be- that its secure he lowers himself over the edge and starts climbing down.

[3] [5]

He climbs or slides most of the way down without any issue but then something rumbles in the ship's bowels and the line jiggles in his hands. He loses his grip and falls the last 15 or so feet, landing in the actual sludge of the chemical swamp instead of on the island. He vanishes beneath the surface for a long moment before exploding back up. Luckily for him the fluid is only waist deep and he manages to trudge back to the shore of the central island while coughing and gagging, wiping whatever toxic waste fills this place off his face.  He scrambles a bit up onto the central isle and sits down to catch his breath.  After a few minutes he manages to calm down and get enough of the sludge off to take a look around.

The chemical stench here is overwhelming and its very hard not to cough constantly. His eyes, nose, throat and any exposed skin tingle and burn intermittently. A strange yellow, green, and black fog hangs over the swamp below, the fluid of it shimmering an oil slick rainbow of colors. Scattered all through the sludge are small islands of rubble and scrap; huge chunks of machinery, torn armor plating, a huge robotic limb reaching out of the gunk, cooling manifolds, sections of pipe, and the like. Growing on these exposed metal pieces are what appear to be colonies of mold, albeit mold in a dazzling variety of toxic looking colors: antifreeze blue, radiation green, napalm orange, and blood blister red. Fluffy fruiting bodies like otherworldly cattails rise from these colonies and send out puffs of drifting spores.

The light of the red sun coming down in through the hole is the main source of illumination, but if he focuses towards out over the swamp he can make out other lights in the distance. They're dimmer and the haze of the swamp makes it impossible to see what they are clearly, but its a clear sign of something being out there. North...nothing...North East flickering lights and a crackling noise. East...nothing. Southeast,  strobing white light. South, nothing. South West, nothing. West, odd and very faint glow. Northwest...torchlight?

[5][4, Hlaine Strength level up!][1][2][4,5][6]

Jim and Hlaine follow Maxwell down. Jim makes it to the end of the filament line with relative ease but Hlaine loses his grip at the last moment and falls a good 5 feet down onto the metal shore. Painful, but successful in the end. Bob and Gambatta are nowhere near as successful. Bob loses his grip maybe a third of the way down and goes tumbling.  Hlaine, having just righting himself and looked up, thrusts a hand out and clenches his fist. Bob slows rapidly and then stops, hanging suspended in midair.  Hlaine, eyes fixed on Bob and with a look of deadly concentration on his face, pulls his fist back towards him. Bob follows the motion, floating gently down  until his feet touch the metal of the central island and he collapses to the ground as his weight is suddenly restored.  Hlaine, who had been holding his breath the entire time, gasps and sits back down.  He's still catching his breath when Gambatta reaches for the line, slips, and just tumbles straight over the edge.

"Aw son of a-" Hlaine curses and reaches out with both hands this time, psychically snatching Gambatta out of the air before he can fall more than 15 feet. Gambatta's trip down to the island isn't quite as smooth or gentle and he ends up tossed onto the island like a man thrown out of a bar.

"Could you all please stop doing that?" Hlaine grunts, collapsing onto his back and breathing deeply [-6 SP]

[6]

As Hlaine is complaining, Maxwell is surveying the "waters" near the island and his eyes suddenly go wide. He grabs Helaine by collar and drags him forcibly up away from the shore  just as an enormous pair of jaws slide out of the sludge and snap closed on the area Hlaine used to occupy.  A trio of eyes on long tendrils bob up and out of the waste near the mouth, scanning the shore for a moment before they and the jaws recede back into the swamp. 

Sigh upon seeing Terra, but don't comment or assist Xeriay.  Look around the camp for clues... or loot, items that might be useful to us.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)
Get the beartrap off my leg, then keep it for later.
Spoiler: Terra (click to show/hide)
"Ah, a mantrap? What a pain. I'll try to get her free. You two, look out for more traps. Maybe we can use them."

Carefully approach Terra and get that trap off of her leg. Without stepping on any myself.

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)
[4,6 Xeriay Strength level up]
Terra and Xeriay working together manage to pry the jaws of the trap open enough for Terra to extract her leg. They then let the jaws snap shut again and gather the trap up for later.

Code: [Select]
Beartrap: (Str). A placed trap. Those that trigger the trap receive d10 damage and are immobilized so long as the trap is anchored and remains shut.

As they work on that Kander wanders the camp, carefully searching for anything that might be useful. [4] He finds an extra filament cartridge, a whistle, and some biogel in one of the tents. Nothing major, but useful.

"None that could be easily answered I'd imagine," Ozwald taps the table with his fingers gently, scowling as he wondered what exactly that horrific monstrosity was "Tell me though, what business are you getting yourself wrapped up in?" he raises an eyebrow seriousness in his expression "From what I can assume it's dangerous but then where's the reward without a bit of risk eh?" Ozwald's expression softens as he chuckles.

Try to recall from my investigations into the occult about anything that might relate to the creature in the video.

You know nothing of these events.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2022, 12:09:31 pm »

"let's uh, keep out of the swamp for now"
note the monster down in my logbook, then begin looking over the isle logging the flora and fauna I see and put any particularly interesting specimens in the container.
Shoot any gribbly that threatens the group.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2022, 03:30:46 pm »

"None that could be easily answered I'd imagine," Ozwald taps the table with his fingers gently, scowling as he wondered what exactly that horrific monstrosity was "Tell me though, what business are you getting yourself wrapped up in?" he raises an eyebrow seriousness in his expression "From what I can assume it's dangerous but then where's the reward without a bit of risk eh?" Ozwald's expression softens as he chuckles.

Try to recall from my investigations into the occult about anything that might relate to the creature in the video.
Steve grins "The type that can change the galaxy Mr. Hamond. Now as for potential danger be assured that all scenarios and risks were accessed well in advance of this mission and while I cant say the Goldwin's do not take risks we try our best to weigh the cards in our favor if you catch my drift." Steve checks his watch "Hm... anyway it has been a pleasure chatting with you Mr. Hamond but I have some... business associates I must catch up with that should be making their way around the engines as we speak. I look forward to seeing you again real soon."

Give a smile extend out a handshake then try to head to the engines where everyone else is located at the moment.

Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2022, 04:51:06 pm »

"Handy trick, that!" Gambatta says, slapping Hlaine on the back with a grin. "Now let's see if there's a way forward that doesn't require wading through that muck anyway..."

Investigate the island for ways down or across.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2022, 05:07:42 pm »

i follow the guy going to the pit.

"can i come with you?  i need a melee weapon as much as you do."
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2022, 07:08:02 pm »

Steve grins "The type that can change the galaxy Mr. Hamond. Now as for potential danger be assured that all scenarios and risks were accessed well in advance of this mission and while I cant say the Goldwin's do not take risks we try our best to weigh the cards in our favor if you catch my drift." Steve checks his watch "Hm... anyway it has been a pleasure chatting with you Mr. Hamond but I have some... business associates I must catch up with that should be making their way around the engines as we speak. I look forward to seeing you again real soon."

Give a smile extend out a handshake then try to head to the engines where everyone else is located at the moment.

"Oh, that's a shame." Ozwald firmly shakes Steve's hand, looking a little disappointed "Ah well, it certainly was a pleasure making your acquaintance. Good day and good luck in your venture Mr. Goldwin, until next time." bidding Steve farewell Ozwald makes his way back to the snakeman.

Ask him about any local gossip, try to glean some information that might be of interest.

Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2022, 04:16:13 am »

"Thanks for saving me back there."
Look around the island for anything interesting sitting on it, also have my Therma-ray at the ready in case anything else decides to come out of the swamp.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2022, 07:31:39 am »

I’m not really feeling this RTD, so I think imma retire. Sorry

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2022, 02:52:16 pm »

Give Xeriay an oxygen mask (of the two Kander brought), and the biogel that was just looted.  Put the whistle and filament cartridge in the autocage's inventory.  Then once again check the camp for clues as to where the attackers might have gone, and either lead the group after them, or out of the forest and back towards the shipbreakers' camp.  This place seems like a dead end for exploration, but we might get some cash for charting it and reporting the dead camp.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2022, 04:03:18 pm »

"Hm. This bag isn't too heavy after all."

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2022, 04:41:01 pm »

Hlaine sits down, out of breath and and sweating.

"Handy trick, that!" Gambatta says, slapping Hlaine on the back with a grin. "Now let's see if there's a way forward that doesn't require wading through that muck anyway..."
"Y-yeah, didn't know I could do that, actually. First time I've used it. Really takes a toll on you though, I've got a splitting headache."

"Yeah, glad to be of help. Just uh, try not to make a habit of it. I think if I do this too much my brain will turn to pudding"

Help Gambatta with his investigations

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2022, 12:36:02 am »

"Yeah, no worries." Maxwell says, looking around.

See if I can find something small and interesting that doesn't look alive, like electronic chips or something along those lines.  If anything comes to my attention, put it in the sample container.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2022, 05:00:54 pm »

"Oh, that's a shame." Ozwald firmly shakes Steve's hand, looking a little disappointed "Ah well, it certainly was a pleasure making your acquaintance. Good day and good luck in your venture Mr. Goldwin, until next time." bidding Steve farewell Ozwald makes his way back to the snakeman.

Ask him about any local gossip, try to glean some information that might be of interest.

They're finishing up your suit as you walk over. The sales-snake again holds up the translator and begs your pardon for the wait. You wave that aside and ask the about rumors or local gossip. [3] The snake people seem to stay mostly to their own kind, over in the village to the northwest of here by the intact engine. They know very little beyond their own circles of gossip; however they do point one thing out. Apparently whenever the engines fire people report seeing living things in the fire of the southwest engine.

As you speak with the sales snake the one in the back slithers out and presents you with a bundle of carefully folded cloth.

You  head towards the east and the engine looming beyond the Shipbreaker's camp. You weave through the housing area and circles around the Grand Lodge before crossing the remaining mostly empty baseplates until you reach the edge of the camp. For the first few hundred feet from the camp there's nothing but sand and the occasional exposed bit of alien metal. However, further east a carpet of small plants appears. These plants are not a single homogenous group; instead there are dozens or even hundreds of varieties. Many resemble ferns or succulents, with either many thin, frond like leaves or thick geometric shaped bulbs. They are almost all at least partially metallic red in color with secondary vivid oranges, yellows, black and even shimmering diamond dust white. Here, on the outer edge, they're tiny and huddled close to the ground, but the closer one gets towards the engine, the larger they become. Those at the base of the engine are, the group estimates, big enough to build a house inside while the ones actually clinging to the engine itself are even larger than that. What starts as a thin coating of plant life becomes a dense jungle nearer to the base of the engine.

Among this vegetation you can see several interesting things. First, to the north, you can see what looks like maybe a dozen or so people and a giant autocage heading further north, apparently towards the large structure up there. Second, alien life of all kinds seems to inhabit this jungle. You see bird like insects circling, dozens of hexapod...things crossing as a herd in the distance, and even something enormous moving through the denser parts. And finally, on the giant plants that cling to the engine and directly around it you notice an odd luminescence. Its almost like there's light pulsing through the plants like blood through tissue. Its quite difficult to see in the bright sun, but its still vaguely there.

i follow the guy going to the pit.

"can i come with you?  i need a melee weapon as much as you do."
[1]
You reach to grab the filament line that the last guy left here. You get your hand around it, lean further forward, and then unexpectedly topple forwards as the filament slips out of your hand. After a half second of freefall you suddenly realize what's happening. [3] You flop awkwardly in the air and try to get into a rough diving position, hoping the swamp below you is deep enough to cushion the fall and the fall isn't high enough to make the depth of the swamp pointless. [-7 HP] You slam into the swamp and vanish beneath the surface, sinking rapidly until your back hits something rough. You squirm blindly and struggle to the surface, gasping for air. You dare not open your eyes considering the horrible sludge all over you, but at least you're not dead or drowning...for the moment. Still, you have no idea where in the swamp you are or the direction of "land".  Also these lungfuls of toxic fumes are better than drowning but only just.

Look around the island for anything interesting sitting on it, also have my Therma-ray at the ready in case anything else decides to come out of the swamp.
"let's uh, keep out of the swamp for now"
note the monster down in my logbook, then begin looking over the isle logging the flora and fauna I see and put any particularly interesting specimens in the container.
Shoot any gribbly that threatens the group.

Investigate the island for ways down or across.

Hlaine sits down, out of breath and and sweating.

"Y-yeah, didn't know I could do that, actually. First time I've used it. Really takes a toll on you though, I've got a splitting headache."

"Yeah, glad to be of help. Just uh, try not to make a habit of it. I think if I do this too much my brain will turn to pudding"

Help Gambatta with his investigations

"Yeah, no worries." Maxwell says, looking around.

See if I can find something small and interesting that doesn't look alive, like electronic chips or something along those lines.  If anything comes to my attention, put it in the sample container.

The "Island" is a huge collection of pipes, tubes, and conduits that have all been snapped off and left a rough "Platform" in the center of the fuel swamp. Navigating the surface of this platform, with its honeycomb of open pipe mouths, isn't easy. Chunks of wreckage and hardened slag provide some footing, but more than once something that looked secure would give way and fragments of alien metal would cascade down shafts with no apparent bottom. Sand from outside has gathered here as well, mostly in the cracks and along the "Shore" of the island, forming a crusty bile yellow beach. There are small clusters of mold here and there but oddly nothing of the size or complexity that can be seen further out in the swamp. Perhaps they need the sludge? Or perhaps they dislike the natural sunlight from above?
[4, 8][Bob Perception to d10]
Maxwell and Bob begin combing the island for goodies, searching specifically for something they can sell. Maxwell notices something shiny wedged in the hollow formed by several pipes that have bent outward. Its half encrusted in yellow sand but after some digging and a fair deal of prying he manages to rip free some sort of mechanical device. It looks...like a metal skull. Not human, but vaguely similar. Its bigger, elongated, and has four eye sockets, no nose, and is apparently missing its jaw, a sort of odd serrated ridge from between the eyes to the back of the head. In fact there are many things with differentiate it from a human skull but something about it still reminds him of one. He flips it over and on the underside he can see a rough opening in the underside of the elongated cranium. Inside looks to be some sort of long glass tube which has been shattered. [Damaged Robot Skull found].  Bob searching on the other side of the island from Maxwell, accidently steps into his finding. What he took to be a solid floor of yellow sand crumbles beneath his feet and he falls into a pipe mouth. Very luckily for him, this pipe takes a sharp right angle maybe 5 feet below its mouth and he lands awkwardly in the newly collapsed pile of sand.  He stands up and brushes the sand off himself, looking around as he does. There's not far to look: the pipe only extends another 10 or so feet before it stops abruptly, apparently squeezed or snipped shut by a great force. Caught in this crushed section is the corpse of...something.  Its nearly impossible to tell what it is; its been badly corroded so that only strips of dried muscle and pot marked bones remain. Its asymmetrical and looks badly deformed, though its hard to tell.  The interesting thing is what is laying within the exposed ribcage. A latticed ball of greenish tissue with a bright yellow glow pulsing inside it.  This organ, whatever it is, has not only survived the death of its host but appears completely pristine.

Meanwhile,  Gambatta, Hlaine, and Jim scramble across the island looking for scientific specimens and a way off. Jim jots down what he remembers of the thing he just saw in the swamp before looking for other alien forms of life. The only thing he can find growing on the island though is small clusters of fungi. [5] Gambatta and Hlaine have better luck. They circle the shore of the island, careful to avoid any unfriendly critters that might slither up to snack on them. They don't see anything, but they keep an eye out regardless. Their circle of the island reveals that while there isn't some kind of nice bridge or anything, the density of "islands" is greatest to the north. Its not a perfect stepping stone path, but they might be able to shift some debris to connect islands or make jumps between them. At the very least it would be the route requiring the least wading or swimming. Alternatively, there's a large bowl shaped piece of debris laying against the southeast shore; something like a deep satellite dish. It might be possible to use that as a boat of sorts and  paddle across the swamp.

Give Xeriay an oxygen mask (of the two Kander brought), and the biogel that was just looted.  Put the whistle and filament cartridge in the autocage's inventory.  Then once again check the camp for clues as to where the attackers might have gone, and either lead the group after them, or out of the forest and back towards the shipbreakers' camp.  This place seems like a dead end for exploration, but we might get some cash for charting it and reporting the dead camp.

[6]
Kander redistributes some of his personal wealth and then searches around for clues regarding the fate of this camp. He starts at the broken autocage and traces inhuman footsteps around the camp. There are splotches of human blood, along with some kind of inhuman fluid that may or may not be the blood of whatever was within that cage. The inhuman tracks, as well as those of several humans, head north into the jungle. He thinks he could probably follow them. For the moment though, he turns back and searches the camp for information. In one of the tents, stuck in an abandoned boot, he finds a notebook. He gives it a quick read, flipping through pages till the end and then starting a few pages before it.  Hmm. These men were tracking an unknown species of carnivorous insect that was reported to have been seen in the open deserts nearby and was thought to be the source of several missing prospectors. They describe it as "Solifugae Like" and that they intend to capture it and sell it to the Survey group. There's apparently also a bounty on it in "Vernierville".

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2022, 07:45:26 pm »

"Well, crap."

make sure i am at the surface, and then remove sludge from head orfices.  I then shout out and try to get help from the guy i was following, and then i shoot my therma ray into the air to show my location.  if asked, i repeat.   
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23