Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: DEEP SPACE: Space vampires and work safety  (Read 35574 times)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
Re: DEEP SPACE
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2022, 10:42:57 am »

Clearly impressed Ozwald rolls the canister back, prior to slipping the business card into the chest pocket of his dress shirt "Goodness, a Goldwin in the flesh? If I were a betting man I'd have bet against the odds of meeting a distinguished individual as yourself." he chuckles "Hm, I'm not a well-known man like yourself, Ozwald James Hamond...I'm an entrepreneur of sorts, came here to seek things of interest...Artifacts to be specific."
Steve looks at Ozwald with a glint of interest "Hmm artifacts you say? You know I heard many stories about the artifacts within that ship before coming here, stories which tell of objects that can do almost anything you can dream of. From a kazoo that create bubbles to a orb that grants whoever rubs it the power of the gods, power that one would be a fool to trust anyone else to not take advantage of." Steve takes off his sunglasses and cleans them before putting them back on "Of course my sources so far tell me these are nothing but unfounded rumors but I'm curious... tell me Ozwald what type of artifact does a man like you seek?"

Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)
"Ah, well now." Ozwald clasps his hands together, a smirk playing at the side of his lips "Seems you're the one asking the hard-hitting questions..." he chuckles amicably "You see, I am greatly interested in acquiring artifacts of historical or religious significance. I've little interest in becoming a god, well that kazoo sounds fun if the rumors are true." straightens collar slightly "A man like me doesn't chase fantasy without knowing the facts, it's what makes or breaks a man in my line of work."
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2022, 12:21:33 pm »

"Ah, well now." Ozwald clasps his hands together, a smirk playing at the side of his lips "Seems you're the one asking the hard-hitting questions..." he chuckles amicably "You see, I am greatly interested in acquiring artifacts of historical or religious significance. I've little interest in becoming a god, well that kazoo sounds fun if the rumors are true." straightens collar slightly "A man like me doesn't chase fantasy without knowing the facts, it's what makes or breaks a man in my line of work."
Steve smirks back "I cant help but agree Mr. Hamond a man must always do their due diligent research before chasing fairy tales after all if the Goldwin's were the type to chase after every rumor of a golden goose we would of gone bankrupt centuries ago." Steve stretches his back before resuming conversation "Anyway now introductions are over with I say its about time I answer your original inquiry" Steve takes a holopad out of his pocket and opens a file containing a video labeled SL-#1296 "Now before I play this your not the type of man to freak out over excessive carnage are you? You don't strike me as such but looks can always be deceiving especially in a place like this."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2022, 06:22:41 pm »

stand with Gambatta while he talks.
See if I can communicate with my Nim’s Parasite at all, since I now know that it's active/alive inside of me.

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:27 am »

Steve smirks back "I cant help but agree Mr. Hamond a man must always do their due diligent research before chasing fairy tales after all if the Goldwin's were the type to chase after every rumor of a golden goose we would of gone bankrupt centuries ago." Steve stretches his back before resuming conversation "Anyway now introductions are over with I say its about time I answer your original inquiry" Steve takes a holopad out of his pocket and opens a file containing a video labeled SL-#1296 "Now before I play this your not the type of man to freak out over excessive carnage are you? You don't strike me as such but looks can always be deceiving especially in a place like this."

"Mr. Goldwin, you needn't worry." Ozwald shakes his head chuckling "Do go ahead and play the tape."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2022, 03:17:20 pm »

"Sounds like a man that doesn't suffer the ill-prepared"
have the Elder Watcher teach us the movement
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I ask this question: "Can you teach us this movement?"

"The movement I know is called 'Vacuum cleave', and it enables one to strike from a distance with a melee weapon. Many do not see it as useful  due to the proliferation of firearms, but I am happy to teach it. Though you will need a melee weapon, preferably something with a blade. Blunt weapons work as well but are more difficult to learn with. "

Request it be black and red, thank the snakeman then join Steve "It'll be an hour, anyways you certainly have a way with people sir." Oz says with an impressed look "Someone like you would do well as a business associate my friend, say what brought you out to this place?"

While they converse, Oz contemplates wether snakemen are men or snakes.

You leave the merchant with your specifications and then rejoin Steve.  As you speak with him, you idly consider the physiology of snake people. [2] You haven't a clue, really, if they're men or snakes. There were no indications of sex so to speak, and their language gave you no hints. Certainly they don't seem to fit within the human framework. Unfortunate; you were kind of hoping for some hot alien women on this trip. Ah well.

"What's that you don't like the plants, how can you change your mind now we're already her...      No need to get so violent I'll go somewhere else."
Go towards the disassembled engine an find a way inside there.
The disassembled or Stripped engine is the one you saw to the west of the Guild camp. Its the Guild's current worksite and you can tell before you even get close that you're not getting in there. They've built quite a large fence around it and the place is swarming with guild crews and machinery. A giant ring of scaffolding surrounds the engine up to about half its height, anti-grav sledges carry scrap back to the camp, and over a hundred full guildsmen in their powered armor suits are directing work and handling the larger tools. An armor plate the size of a house being lowered carefully down from the upper scaffolds.

Violence here is definitely possible...but would probably be mostly visited on you instead.

Request it be black and red, thank the snakeman then join Steve "It'll be an hour, anyways you certainly have a way with people sir." Oz says with an impressed look "Someone like you would do well as a business associate my friend, say what brought you out to this place?"

While they converse, Oz contemplates wether snakemen are men or snakes.

Steve takes a sip of tea "Straight to the hard hitting questions I see? While I have no qualms in telling you my motivations we have not even done proper introductions yet! Let us get that out of the way then we can get into more juicy matters of discussion, it is only proper after all! Infact... give me one moment if you don't mind." Steve reaches into his left pocket and takes out a business card which he proceeds to hand to Ozwald "My name good sir is Steve Goldwin head manager and son of the CEO of Goldwin Biotechnical Industries. I'm certain you have heard of us before and even if by some miracle you have not heard of us I guarantee you have purchased one of our products before... for example does Biogel ring a bell?" Steve proceeds to take out a can of Biogel and rolls it toward Ozwald when it stops rolling the acronyms G.B.I are clearly visible on the can.

"Of course Biogel isnt the only product we sell not by a longshot but to tell you all that would take a list a mile wide!" Steve chuckles "Anyway enough with that now that I have introduced myself its time for you to introduce yourself, tell me friend who do I owe the pleasure of speaking to on this fine day?"

Think about electric sheep as I converse while also looking closely at the man infront of me for any particularities.
[4]
The man doesn't appear to be anything out of he ordinary. Well...he doesn't appear to be anything more than human, lets put it that way. He certainly has an odd quality to him.

stand with Gambatta while he talks.
See if I can communicate with my Nim’s Parasite at all, since I now know that it's active/alive inside of me.

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)
Head on in and ask the Survey Guys what they do here, and what they'll pay for. Also if they know anything about conditions or wildlife inside the wreck so far.

[7]Hlaine attempts to speak the the parasite inhabiting him. He doesn't hear words or anything so plain, but he gets vague sensations. Its much the same way your body will not just transmit the words "I AM HUNGRY" to your brain, instead it will produce sensations the brain has come to understand mean the body is hungry. These sensations, currently, are those of a desire for power or control. A slightly malevolent ambition.

The interior of the Universal Survey building is clean, brightly lit, and playing soft Muzak. Across a room filled with a sparse collection of stainless steel tables is a wall of individual kiosks. Each Kiosk is a small booth of what looks like glass enclosing a single person who is sitting at a glass desk and typing on a glass computer that appears to have barely visible glass innards. Next to the kiosk is some sort of large scanner which then leads to an automated metal door.  You shrug and walk over to a random kiosk where a young man is typing away. He ignores you for several seconds to finish typing before then locking eyes with you through his glass computer screen. You ask him about mapping and he explains the following:

1. The Universal Survey corp will pay for map data of the interior of the Enigma just as they will pay for just about any data or samples from within.
2. Mapping data must be delivered in person.
3. Bounties for mapping are paid as a total and are independent of group size. If 1000 is the bounty, thats 1000 total, not 1000 to every member of the group.
4. The largest amounts are paid for information about entirely new areas, with lesser amounts paid for more exact detail from subsequent visits. Unless major changes occur, of course.
5. Deeper sections pay greater bounties.

As per samples from inside- a process they call cataloging- he explains that the rarity of the specimen as well as the quality of it influence price. The highest quality specimens are live captured specimens while the lowest would be written second hand accounts. They also pay more for things they haven't seen yet.

As per conditions within, the clerk tells you that all data that has so far been collected is available through the Universal Survey project, where it can be purchased.  They refuse to give you any info for free. Information is their business, after all.

"Damn, we could really benefit from radios.  We're not likely to find Terra in this forest, we'd probably just get lost ourselves.  She should be fine, even alone; let's go check out the opening I found.  That's what we came here for, after all."

Can the autoharness climb up the engine's wall, and would that need a roll of some kind?  If it can, lead the other two back to the opening found in the side of the engine, and climb up it twice to bring them both up.  If a roll would be necessary, Xeriay can operate the autoharness instead.

Failing that, head off to find Terra when she fires her death ray in the air.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)
The autoharness only climbs filaments. If you put a filament up then it will climb it without a roll. Of course you have to get the filament up there first.

(You'd tell us if we earned a levelup, right? Because when you just list off rolls like that there's no way to tell who rolled what on which stat.)

"Well, what now? Even if we want to get in here, we'll have to climb up. Should we go find that guy, Hardberger?"

Follow Kendar, either going for the opening or going after Terra. And drag Amon with us too.

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)
(I'll tell you, if its not obvious)

(You'd tell us if we earned a levelup, right? Because when you just list off rolls like that there's no way to tell who rolled what on which stat.)

"Well, what now? Even if we want to get in here, we'll have to climb up. Should we go find that guy, Hardberger?"

Amon sits in the back observing the conversation.

I'm assuming Amon would follow along.

[2][5]
Neither Kander nor Amon notice the deathray, but Xeriay does. Together they head off in the direction the single shot came from. [2][6]

Fire my death-ray into the air. Then proceed into the camp and scour the ground for any tracks or indications of what happened, also keeping an eye out for anything useful. Lastly, see if I can locate the path that the hunters had taken, and see if I could follow it back.

If any creatures appear, shoot them with the deathray, unless they’re obviously human.

Spoiler: Terra (click to show/hide)
You point your death ray into the air and fire a single, long burst. A beam of brilliant red light lances up into the sky with a screech. That done, you sling your rifle again and start looking for clues. [1] You start at the perimeter and start walking in a wide circle, looking for paths out of the camp and clues about what happened. You're about half way around when you notice what looks like an animal path in the sand. You go over to examine it and as you take a step the sand erupts around you and you feel horrible pain in your lower leg. You fall over backwards and look down to see a crude beartrap latched onto your leg [-7hp]. It seems the hunters may have been expecting...interruptions. Ow.

Shortly after Terra manages to get her leg clamped in a trap, Amon, Xeriay and Kender wander into the clearing and find her.

Leave the guild hall, these people seem jerk-adjacent.

So.. does one just jump down the hole and grab something?  No preliminaries?  I mean.. I could give that a try.  Head towards the hole.

Spoiler: Maxwell Hardberger (click to show/hide)
You leave the Guild hall with a curt nod and head out towards the center of the Enigma; the Steel pit. The sands give way to bare alien metal as you get closer to the enormous hole, the edges of which are slightly bowed upwards.  You scramble up the sloped metal and to the edge of the pit. The hole is not a clean one; its edges are ragged and all manner of wires, tubes, and pipes jut out like broken teeth. Some of these pipes still disgorge a steady stream of chemicals down into the pit. About 30 or 40 meters down you can see, it by the light of the red sun, a great swamp of god knows what chemicals and shattered machinery. In the center of this mire is what looks like an island made of tight clustered conduits, pipes, and mechanisms: perhaps the stump of a 5th engine which tore its way clean? of the ship?   Jumping down would be....ill advised...but a filament rope could let one relatively easily climb from the edge down onto that central...island of sorts.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2022, 03:38:20 pm »

"Ah, a mantrap? What a pain. I'll try to get her free. You two, look out for more traps. Maybe we can use them."

Carefully approach Terra and get that trap off of her leg. Without stepping on any myself.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2022, 04:01:48 pm »

"Mr. Goldwin, you needn't worry." Ozwald shakes his head chuckling "Do go ahead and play the tape."

Steve presses the play button and the footage starts up

On the screen 4 men are shown heading forward through what can only be assumed to be the Enigma the time stamp shows they have been recording for two hours and fourty seven minutes 3 of the men are wearing body armor and armed with assault rifles while one of the men wears a labcoat covered in dirt and blood. After around three minutes of walking and miscellaneous chatter the men run into some type of white faceless humanoid creature before the men can react the creature lets out a loud scream and extends a flesh tentacle from out of its chest which proceeds to impale one of the guards at almost light speed.

The footage starts to visibly shake as whoever is operating the camera starts a hasty retreat while also readjusting the camera under his elbow so he can continue recording what is behind him, as he flees gun fire can be heard and seen as the 2 remaining guards start yelling expletives and opening fire on the creature as the scientist stands there frozen in what can be assumed to be fear. As the bullets hit the creature it is evident that any wound it takes is mended near instantly, the creature proceeds to extend another flesh tentacle decapitating a second guard and knocking down the scientist. In assumed desperation as the creature runs at the final guard he pulls the pin on a grenade blowing both him and the creature up in the process.

At this point the footage stabilizes again showing the scientist on the ground and the remains of both the guard and the creature spread across the walls and floor but suddenly the viscera begins to move quickly reforming into the creature from earlier now slightly smaller then before. The footage ends with the camera shaking and getting further and further away as the creature stands over the scientist on the ground.

"That Mr. Hamond is why I am here... any questions?"

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:04:22 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2022, 04:16:58 pm »

"Huh.  I guess it really is just that simple."

Filament shot, and climb to the central island.  There a hole leading further down?

Spoiler: Maxwell Hardberger (click to show/hide)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2022, 04:29:07 pm »

“Could it work with a fist?”

Learn vacuum cleave.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:06:29 pm by BlackPaladin99 »
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2022, 03:24:59 am »

"Damn it I need inside I guess I'll go find that big hole and try that."
Go find that big hole in the ground and see if there's a way inside through that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2022, 06:47:15 pm »

learn Vacuum cleave if possible, otherwise Jim will beg his leave to earn a melee weapon, then heard towards the hole
Spoiler: Jim (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:23:14 am by m1895 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2022, 08:12:23 pm »

Head to the giant ragged hole and try to figure out a way down. Ask any nearby locals how the locals usually get into the ship and back out again.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2022, 08:57:38 pm »

Get the beartrap off my leg, then keep it for later.
Spoiler: Terra (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2022, 12:50:36 am »

"None that could be easily answered I'd imagine," Ozwald taps the table with his fingers gently, scowling as he wondered what exactly that horrific monstrosity was "Tell me though, what business are you getting yourself wrapped up in?" he raises an eyebrow seriousness in his expression "From what I can assume it's dangerous but then where's the reward without a bit of risk eh?" Ozwald's expression softens as he chuckles.

Try to recall from my investigations into the occult about anything that might relate to the creature in the video.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 04:15:40 am by Horizon »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: DERP SPOOS
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2022, 02:26:49 am »

Sigh upon seeing Terra, but don't comment or assist Xeriay.  Look around the camp for clues... or loot, items that might be useful to us.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23