Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: How can we avoid an excessive future?  (Read 6629 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: How can we avoid an excessive future?
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2022, 01:09:30 am »

It's right there in my sig. A future with no peace, full of threats nobodies trying to work around. That's what i'm worried about.

We're not exactly on fucking track. And the ways you guys think of dealing with it, don't work.

I don't want to just be curled in a protective ball while humanity does dumb shit and hope for the best.
As McTraveller said, you really are thinking too big. There are always more relevant things to worry about. And the answer to the question posed in the title? We can't. The most we can do is have good kinds of excess.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2022, 03:04:56 am »

It's right there in my sig. A future with no peace, full of threats nobodies trying to work around. That's what i'm worried about.

We're not exactly on fucking track. And the ways you guys think of dealing with it, don't work.

I don't want to just be curled in a protective ball while humanity does dumb shit and hope for the best.
As McTraveller said, you really are thinking too big. There are always more relevant things to worry about. And the answer to the question posed in the title? We can't. The most we can do is have good kinds of excess.
Like wealth.  :P

Or fuck it. No point pissing people off.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2022, 09:22:08 am »

...Is that whole post absurdity? Because it's really not humorous. I'm not really sure if I need to tell my teacher friend to stop being a malicious bigot for living on poverty wages or not. I mean, she teaches 1.5 year olds.

that's so malicious

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2022, 03:47:48 pm »

Teachers are typically considered Middle Class, even if they whine about poverty wages.

Where I live, teachers make a lot of money, compared to other people.

I was going to edit the post, since the truly impoverished have enough problems without having to endure my self-rightous crap, but the point is Not that poor people have those vices, but rather that they can have afford to have those vices more than the middle class.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2022, 04:25:49 pm »

She makes ten bucks an hour. It's not enough to pay her rent. She lives in a small town 45 minutes from any major city. Her car is a beater and early on in the pandemic when her last job gave out, she was openly wondering if she was going to pay for food or internet that month, and then she had a seizure and was legally forbidden from driving for three months and therefore could not get to work if she could find it, never mind that everything was locked down.

Living wage is $14, and that's to say nothing about debts or medical bills.

Find me the pride, prejudice, ego, and unwarranted malice.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2022, 05:41:04 pm »

Good point, I edited my post.
Edit: Fine, I edited the whole thing out.
Hope things work out better for your friend.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2022, 06:26:19 pm »

Yeah, I hope things work out better for her too.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2022, 06:48:30 pm »

0.2$; think big or no one else will.

I've managed to talk out where i should direct my efforts. And all of our big discoveries weren't done by the species, Bro.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2022, 06:52:25 pm »

Mostly I'm just wondering where the hell anyone lives that K-12 equivalent frontline/non-admin teachers are making decent wages. It's damn sure not basically anywhere in the US, so it's got to be somewhere else, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2022, 07:43:00 pm »

Mostly I'm just wondering where the hell anyone lives that K-12 equivalent frontline/non-admin teachers are making decent wages. It's damn sure not basically anywhere in the US, so it's got to be somewhere else, yeah?

They're less poor than others in NY, excepting that NYC is too expensive for practically everyone.

There are levels. Substitute teachers, teaching assistants, non-tenure teachers and tenure teachers are all different wages.

60k seems pretty decent to me. That is absolutely not the subs or aids.

Whereas the poverty line is 12k. And people are making that little.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2022, 07:57:56 pm »

You're talking to a teacher's kid that's currently got an income below the poverty line, mate. I'm aware :P

The places teacher incomes aren't just pure shit, they're pretty much never middle class in scope. Generally not straight up poverty line, but it's pretty damn rare they can, say, support a household on that income. It's either second (or third) job or a partner of some sort. Gods help them if they've got their own kid(s).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 07:59:57 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2022, 10:45:16 pm »

Well, the point I've been trying to make is that the middle class is straight up dying. There IS no middle class in scope.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2022, 05:23:31 am »

0.2$; think big or no one else will.

I've managed to talk out where i should direct my efforts. And all of our big discoveries weren't done by the species, Bro.
Dunning and Kruger say hi.

Teachers have shit wages in 90% of the world.

Well, the point I've been trying to make is that the middle class is straight up dying. There IS no middle class in scope.
False.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2022, 05:52:40 am »

Over here, people of middle class income are often poorer than people of low income.

It's because of our strange, and inexplicable housing gap.
If you earn up to something like 1400 euros per month, you are entitled to rent a house in the 'social renting sector'.
These have a hard cap on rent, maximum approximately 750 euros per month (that is just the rent, no gas or elektra included).
People on lower than 1400 euros income will also get subsidized by the state to pay their rent. (welfare is slightly under 1000 euros per month, people would not be able to pay rent, gas, healthcare insurance (which is also subsidized for the poor), food without the subsidies).

However.. Once you enter the 'middle class', with an income over 1400, you are no longer allowed to apply for a social rental. You will need to rent in the private sector. There is no hardcap on the rent for those, and with the current housing shortage, even a small appartment will go for 1000 euros or more rent.
Also, no subsidies.

So yeah, they are officially middle class, but those on the low end of that spectrum are much poorer than people on minimum wage, qua spendable income.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:54:40 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2022, 11:43:33 pm »

Seems like a local thing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8