Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: How can we avoid an excessive future?  (Read 6627 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
How can we avoid an excessive future?
« on: January 31, 2022, 04:40:40 pm »

I want to do things, but i don't want to be completely overwhelmed while i'm doing them.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: How can we avoid an excessive future?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 05:18:44 pm »

There's a thought. Pervasive augmented reality streamlining your day to day life! Advanced prosthetics adjusting your physical capabilities for a better user experience!

A whole host of lifestyle enhancement augmentations may be available in our future. I'm sure nothing can go wrong, there :V

Alternatively, trust in hypnotoad, I guess. They'd at least make sure you landed in life advice comfortably, probably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 05:35:44 pm »

Medication? Might be time to visit a psychiatrist.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 07:37:17 pm »

Raise the excess limit.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 10:53:53 pm »

We can't. But I guess you'll have to adapt.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 04:04:58 am »

Transforming FOMO to PIMO? I.e. instead of fear, then have ‘Pride in missing out’.
We are constantly under a shower of offers, and it is instinct to want to grab them all. BUT tomorrow there will be another shower of offers, and so the days after. So whenever we find that there were something cool we ‘missed out’ on, then just think “Well, if it had some inner quality, then it will still be worth looking into, and if not, then there will be another cool thing coming tomorrow”.
I don’t know is this is in any way how you are ‘overwhelmed’, but it is how I feel our (good!) freedom invades our personal peace.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 04:17:51 am »

If you start the nuclear Armageddon now you won't have to worry about that pesky future!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 09:49:31 am »

Regulate NS's ability to open threads would certainly help with avoiding an excessive future... :P

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 12:49:52 pm »

Space.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

DwarfUli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2022, 01:26:17 pm »

I divorced my wife and sold my home and live on a (very) small sailboat (28feet/9meters). I am happier than I have ever been. I don't earn much but I spend even less, so I am rich. Most Friday nights I can have a glass of red wine and some crackers with brie cheese, sitting in the cockpit, just relaxing, pure bliss. Harbor fees are very cheap compared to rent or a mortgage.

To finally cut the cord to "the American dream" has been the most liberating thing I have ever done. I refer to the moment as "my little death", it was that significant in my life.
That people would choose to trade their lives away, working for some corporate giant (I worked for Pfizer) for 30-40 years, hoping that when they retire they are still healthy enough to reap the rewards of their benefit packages, is hard to fathom. Thank the gods I got away when still a somewhat young person.

This has kept me from chasing excess, maybe it would work for you also.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2022, 04:40:52 pm »

Space.

People feel compelled to fill space. You'll end up with quiet, until a whole world collides into yours.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 02:05:11 am »

Space.

People feel compelled to fill space. You'll end up with quiet, until a whole world collides into yours.
I'm pretty sure you'll be long dead from lack of oxygen before that happens.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2022, 09:55:18 am »

I tell you what, don't let them Slaaneshi-Tzeentchian parties fool you. Excessive futures trading is NOT good for your fiscal stability

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 10:21:13 am »

Consume less and poop out less children. You don't need the newest iPhone model once every 2 years. You don't need the newest winter fashion. You don't need to smear kilos of fossil fuel product (make-up) on your face because instagram tells you to.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:22:57 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8