Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Battle Phase  (Read 12190 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn One-Battle Phase
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2021, 12:20:16 pm »

Let’s aim to have voting wrapped up by the end of the day, and I’ll try to get an update out on Friday or Saturday and move on to the next phase.

Your plans don’t need to be very long, though they can be. They can be as simple as a sentence or two if you want. Your forces have pretty much won the battle, all that’s left is the killing, and who will escape.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 12:22:27 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2021, 12:42:55 pm »

It looks to me like the duke avoided a major wound that would weaken him over an extended battle. So it didn't do much, but it spent the Light's resources safely and we kept our minor hero alive.

I think we might want to keep 75% of our heavy infantry, half our mages, and the avatar, to fight the duke, while all our lighter forces and scattered groups of heavier infantry try to stop the breakout attempt.

The breakout attempt will likely use sally ports we haven't had the time to find, so I'd propose spending the darkness on either finding the breakout group, finding the likely escape routes they will take, or on slowing and scaring the horses so more forces can join the fight against them.
We could also consider someone in a light flying machine, which could follow them and harass them from range. Our stealth hero is our best mage, and if they're not exhausted, could shoot the most dark bolts and use illusions to either protect the machine or as flares so our forces know where the group is.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2021, 01:03:02 pm »

I was going to vote for Know When To Hold Them, but since I have two +1s I may as well finish my plan.

Quote from: Hunt Them Down
75% of the Deeping Guard, half the mages, the wall breaker, and the golem, remain in the keep to fight the and his forces. Aim for a grinding battle of attrition before the wall-breaker strikes the duke down while he's weak.

1 darkness is spent building a compass that will point to Matilda. The avatar will carry it, accompanied by part of the remaining Deeping Guard and a few mages, trying to intercept or hunt down Matilda and her group.
The rest of the Deeping guard, mages, and half of the light forces will be in scattered groups through the city, in likely lines of retreat and major road intersections, forcing Matilda and her unit to either waste time sneaking past through alleyways and side-streets, or waste time fighting a series of battles. The groups will be small, to better saturate the retreat routes and waste more of Matilda's time, for the hunter group to catch up.
The remaining light forces will be securing the walls and tunnel entrances in the city, and trying to blockade the gates and tunnel entrances. The Shadow Walker will take command over the north gate.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 02:00:41 pm by Nirur Torir »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2021, 01:23:07 pm »

The Wall-Breaker is not going to catch a mounted Hero, not even if we magic up a cart and mechanical horses to pull him in. Hence why I want to use the magic-defying bolts. Well, that and it'll likely force the forces of Good to use up any points of Light they may yet have after stopping multiple assassination attempts. It'll prevent them, hopefully, from pulling shenanigans against the Avatar/Wall-breaker, whichever one is fighting the Duke.

Quote from: Votebox
Know When To Hold Them: (1) Madman
Hunt Them Down: (3?) Nirur Torir, Rockeater, BlackPaladin

Just go ahead and confirm your votes if you wouldn't mind.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2021, 01:37:48 pm »

Know When To Hold Them: (2) Madman, Glass
Yeah, I feel that MM’s plan for catching Matilda is more likely to work than Nirur’s. The Wall-Breaker simply is not made for pursuits, and it’s not going to catch anybody fleeing at any noteworthy speed.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2021, 01:48:09 pm »

Know When To Hold Them: (3) Madman, Glass, TricMagic

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2021, 02:03:00 pm »

Since nobody else has voted on my plan since I posted it, I've switched the avatar and wall-breaker. Now the avatar is in the hunter group and the wall breaker is fighting the duke.

I had counted on the regular forces in the city slowing her or exhausting her horses so the wall breaker could catch up, if it couldn't intercept her directly.

Edit: If nobody else votes, break the tie in favor of Know When to Hold Them. I don't want to vote for it outright, since I'd prefer a compass to the bolts, and want a plan that guards against her retreating to the tunnels. Those should be pretty minor, though, and I don't want to see a tie breaker coin toss when most of the voters for one plan voted while said plan was half formed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2021, 08:03:00 pm by Nirur Torir »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2021, 09:25:07 pm »

I'm kinda against the strike him down part. Don't you know all tragic hero backstories include dead parents?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2021, 01:58:42 am »

I'm kinda against the strike him down part. Don't you know all tragic hero backstories include dead parents?
To be fair, I don't think there is something we can do to the Duke which isn't a part of a tragic backstory, especially now that she probably think he's dead.

Also, my main issue with the current plans is trying to get the Wall-breaker to fight the Duke, which means destroying large part of the citadel, which I really don't like as it's gonna be our central command for a while.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2021, 04:40:52 am »

Know When To Hold Them: (4) Madman, Glass, TricMagic, King Zultan
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2021, 04:42:32 am »

Know When To Hold Them: (4) Madman, Glass, TricMagic, King Zultan
Hunt Them Down: (2) Nirur Torir, BlackPaladin

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2021, 06:05:00 pm »

To be fair, I don't think there is something we can do to the Duke which isn't a part of a tragic backstory, especially now that she probably think he's dead.

Also, my main issue with the current plans is trying to get the Wall-breaker to fight the Duke, which means destroying large part of the citadel, which I really don't like as it's gonna be our central command for a while.
What do you mean? If we capture her, and get her father to surrender, we can at least show them to eachother before stripping him of his armor and throwing them in the dungeons.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2021, 06:46:16 am »

That does assume we capture her, and in that point it's just a tragic story as we convert her to our cause or execute her

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2021, 10:21:59 am »

Why dont we use them? i say next design phase we make an evilification spell or something and shoot them both with it.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2021, 11:25:58 pm »

Battle for Ur-Garoth: Part Two

Ur-Garoth was falling. The outer walls around the settlement were taken easily, and the settlement followed, with streams of orcs charging against the inner citadel. And of course, the hulking Wall-Breaker, 30 feet tall and marching inexorably to its goal. The few arrows sent towards it bounced off its moon clad armor, and despair overcame the defenders of the wall it approached.

Elsewhere orcish officers began calling out new orders, and the armored orcs began to disengage from their assault. The defenders took a moment of respite before the waves of orcs came again. This time instead of the brutal heavily armored orcs marching in tight discipline, it was irregular orcs, armed with whatever armor and weapons they could find. Tusked jaws opened and roared as they leapt into combat, eager to prove themselves. The footmen of Iserria held, their shieldwall still strong, spears flashing out and claiming blood and lives, but they were exhausted and demoralized.  They could not hold forever.

In the chaos of the battle, Matilda and her assembly of knights rode out from one of the sally ports. On horses bred for war and lances raised, they charged into the back of the fighting around a broken gate. The orcs, unused to fighting horses, scattered before them. The orcish officer leading this company roared for order and began to regroup hsi warriors, before Matilda’s spear took him in the throat. Dismay overcame them, and the attacking orcs fled.  The defenders cheered and began to rebuild the gate as Matilda readed her retinue. 

And then, the Wall-Breaker reached the wall. Swinging his hammer into the stone, it shattered before him, flinging rock and pulped bodies in a spray before him. The ground shook, and even the fighting in the dungeons took a brief pause as dust descended from the ceiling. Soldiers on the walls and towers began their retreat into the heart of the citadel and their last stands, or fleeing into the city to find safety or their loved ones. Before such might, who could stand against it?

Matilda, seeing that the fortress had little hope, commanded the defenders of the gate she had relieved to follow her and collect who they could to escape the city. The captain of the gate was dead, and so none opposed the young heir and the footmen and militia abandoned the gate to join their escape attempt.

In the dungeons the fighting took on a new urgency, as the Duke led the counterattack. His runed armor deflected all but the strongest of blows, and his enchanted sword cut through armor and shields as if it were cloth. The orcs fell back against the fury of the assault, for behind the duke were the remaining knights of Arnhold, fierce and well armored, sworn to follow their lord to the end. Supporting them was the court mage and priest, supporting and healing the warriors as best they could. They quickly regained the lower levels of the citadel, where the forces of the Dark Lord began fighting with renewed energy and support from the cultists, casting bolts of life eating darkness.

The fighting was thick and frantic, as they grappled in the dark, swords flashing and hammers falling and daggers plunging and hands choking. Dark bolts flew out and stole lives of noble knights, sending them crashing to the ground. Lights erupted like starburst in the eyes of the orcs, blinding them. Darkness splashed against the Duke’s armor, dimming it as he cut the head off the caster. Step by bloody step the attack plunged deeper into the dungeon and closer to the heart of the Dark Lord.

Outside in the city, Matilda and her retinue of knights made their way to the walls, falling on any group of foes like a pack of wolves. With the fury of a doomed city, they charged and brought low even squads of Deeping Guards, their armor failing with the impact of the lance. Behind them those on foot gathered and protected civilians and began to evacuate those they could to one of the gates. But their heroics were beginning to gather notice, and larger and larger groups began to make Matilda’s efforts untenable. Throw enough bodies, and the horses would be unable to flee, and their riders dragged down. So the sally attempt turned to the closest gate to force their breakthrough.

Here the forces of Darkness prepared, armored orcs standing ranks deep in front of the gate, and auxiliaries on the wall. Matilda braced herself. This would be a hard fight, but she would save those she could. Her people needed a Hero, and-

The Dark Lord emerged from the ranks of Orcs. He was unmistakable, for power emanated  from his very frame. Sleek steel, ornate and impeccably formed to allow complete freedom of movement, far beyond the skill of mortal hands. Upon his head lay a broken crown, an unnatural mix of gold and steel.  His hand bore a hammer, shifting before her eyes from a blacksmith’s tool to a deadly weapon of war. Even from a distance, Matilda could see the fury and heat of the furnace, the desire and ability to mold the very world to his whim. Death and Domination, the Dark Lord promised, and she knew that to face him was to die, or worse.

Yet, for a few chosen by fate or destiny, some choices were not choices at all. She spurred her horse forward, as the court mage’s apprentice accompanying the escape attempt sent a message to his master.

The Duke leaned against the wall, drained from the constant fighting. Nearby Harrin the priest tended to a wounded knight, his white robes stained red with blood. He raised his near empty waterskin to his lips and drank deep as his Trebonius came to his side. The court mage was graying, and his usually lively eyes were deep set with exhaustion and concern.

He leaned close, his words heavy. “The Dark Lord has returned, my Lord. He is blocking the escape of your daughter.”

Arnhold froze, the words tumbling in his mind. His daughter would not escape, his people were doomed. There was nothing he could do to save her.

Unless he could end the Dark Lord. There was something in the pits, he could feel it.
You can save her, the thought came unbidden to his mind. You can end this. You can find the strength, and destroy the heart of this darkness. Take up the sword and fight for your people, for your daughter.

You won’t survive, a quieter voice told him. There is always a cost.

But some choices in the end are not really choices at all. And so the Duke accepted the offer, and light and life infused his spirit and limbs.

The Last Duke of Ur-Garoth stood and turned to his warriors. Men and women battered and bloodied, but already he could see strength return to them, their backs straighter and eyes. They could all hear the great monster outside tearing through sheer stone, and the war calls of the orcs ahead.

A desperate roar against the darkness, a brand against the night. A last glimmer of the sun before it sinks beneath the horizon. The Last Duke raised his sword and cried out,
“Death!”
Death behind and death ahead, the Duke thought as his calls were answered. Nothing to do but to go forward.

The girl charged against the Avatar, spear crackling with lightning. It scored against his vambrace, deflecting it to the side as he sent his hammer into the side of her horse, killing it instantly.
   Her companions cried out, and charged at the Dark Lord. One of them glimmered with a Hero’s promise, and his shield glimmered with light. He strode up and swung his hammer, and with a crack the boy’s arm broke and he was sent flying. The girl leaped to spear him in the back, but too slowly. The Dark Lord spun and slammed her back into the ground.. Around them a battle raged, but before the Dark Lord the orcs fought with a fierce vigor, crashing and crowding the knights fearlessly.
   He glanced at the girl, Matilda, heir to the duchy and his fortress. A prize, he mused, that the Three gifted him a potential hero. She struggled to her feet. The Dark Lord respected the fight in her, but she was clearly no match for him. His victory was certainly assured.

The Last Duke of Ur-Garoth charged forward like a comet, cutting down all those in his path. Here at the entrance at the tomb the fighting was fiercest, Deeping Guard packed tight in good order. But the Duke was unstoppable. The orcs fought ferociously, but the Last Duke and his knights fought harder still, buoyed by the hero’s aura and the healing of the priest. The metal golem leading the first charge leaped upon the Duke, but with a sidestep he avoided the blow, and his counter strike took an arm off. The next took off the head. The armored orcs attempted to form their shield wall to hold them back, but the Last Duke would create a gap wherever he went, his blade cutting through armor and flesh easily which his retinue would exploit. Dark bolts of magic flew overhead, only to be swept up in a whirlwind, or splash against chromatic shields, as the Duke and his warriors prioritized the cultists casting them. Trebonius was a whirlwind of motion and magic, warding and deflecting all that he could until a stray bolt caught him in the heart, killing him instantly. However, the counterblow came quickly as the Last Duke tore into the largest squad of cultists, cutting them down. Officers overwhelmed or dead, the Deeping Guard was on the verge of defeat.

Until the Shadow-Walker revealed herself, knife slashing through the priest's throat. The knights cried out in dismay. The Last Duke turned in a fury only to be blinded by a bolt of darkness to the face. But the Shadow-Walker was not fast enough to get more than a shallow cut before a wild blow from the Last Duke cut her nearly in half.

Without the priest’s healing, the Last Duke’s retinue began to crumble beneath the hammers of the Deeping Guard. Disciplined and determined, they stood and traded blows with some of the best warriors of Arnhold. But they could do little but slow the vengeful hero, who cut through swathes of them with every blow. The Wall Breaker’s roar shook the very cavern walls, but it had to dig and tear at the very stone to get down in time. But even as the last knight fell, the Deeping Guard broke their ranks and fled into the tunnels, leaving the path open for The Last Duke of Ur-Garoth. 

Soon he came to the chamber where the Dark Lord’s Soul was set, a great blazing fire set around a darkened heart. The light and the heat was blinding. Here the last defenders fled before the blood splattered hero, promising death for all who stood before him. All, except for one.

Gash-Nurtak was an old orc, one of the few born in the ramshackle pits of the Ash Mountains, wild and free. He fought for his place in the raids, an opportunity to gain his wealth by pillage. He took one too many wounds, fighting both man and orc, and so settled and learned how to smith and forge tools and weapons for his tribe.
   When the Dark Lord Called, he came. Gash-Nurtak always believed that there was something better than hiding in the mountains, that the orcs could once again be proud and feared across the world. He was part of the first wave from the Free Tribes, traveling in secret through night and dark tunnels.  He was a smith, and joined those making the armor for the newly raised Legio I. He had not founded a spawning, but he was so very proud of the Legion he had helped create, one that could stand and fight any across the world. He forged a set of armor for himself, so that if a fight came he would not be found wanting.

And so Gash-Nurtak stood alone between the Heart of his Lord, and the Last Duke of Ur-Garoth sworn to destroy it. It would be so very easy to join those who fled, to go back home to his mountains and tell the tale of how the Dark Lord rose and fell to the valor of Men.

But Men were not the only ones to know of honor and fealty, and Gash-Nurtak felt he owed a debt. And so he stood tall and unbowed.

Some choices are not choices at all.

Gash-Nurtak plunged his hand into the Heart, and withdrew the glimmering Hammer.

Matilda watched, stunned, as the Dark Lord began to crumble to dust before her eyes. The melee died as the body dropped to the ground, armor rusting away and the overwhelming pressure vanishing in a heartbeat. The orcs broke, tossing their arms down and scattering away. The orc archers manning the walls desperately launched a pair of darkness coated bolts, one catching the knight Alaric in the chest. The other flew for Matilda, and was a heartbeat away from taking her before Bruce was there, his shield shining with light and intercepting the deadly bolt. Her guards gave a cry and rushed up to the walls, where the remaining auxiliaries either fled or were cut down.
   Gatehouse secured, numbering about 20 survivors, they fled Ur-Garoth, to spread word of the return of the Dark Lord.

Deep in the Tomb, Gash-Nurtak was reborn as the Avatar of the Dark Lord, armor molding seamlessly over his body, and power suffusing his body. He saluted the Last Duke of Ur-Garoth, receiving a snarl in return, and the battle commenced. The Last Duke was light and fluid, his strikes viper quick, scoring across the enchanted armor of the Dark Lord. whose hammer blows came like a avalanche, unstoppable and reaching. The Last Duke was forced back step by step, warding off each blow desperately. One destroyed his pauldron, and the other nearly took his helmet off.

And then, The Last Duke of Ur-Garoth ran out of time, as a fist larger than his whole body crashed through the ceiling and smashed him into the ground. A muffled groan could be heard, as the Dark Lord grabbed the Duke by the throat and with a word, chains of darkness wrapped around his broken body.

The Battle for Ur-Garoth was over, and the War for the Kingdom of Iserria had begun.

Casualties: (Note that all casualties, excluding the Shadow-Walker, will be recovered by the next battle. Will probably change the casualty report for next update)
 2 Cohorts of Deeping Guard
1 Warband of Rabble
½ company of Auxilia
2 Squads of Acolytes

Shadow-Walker: KIA. (RIP, we hardly knew ye)

Bonuses:

- Infrastructure Unlocked! You also get one Free Infrastructure Design. Can be like forges, arcane training tower, or monster birthing pits. Generally the more specific the improvement, the better.

- Captured The Last Duke of Ur-Garoth! Can be “consumed” for a +1 to a design or for a free minor champion. Must use The Last Duke as part of the design in some way for the bonus to be applied.

Costs:
-Due to overdrawing Darkness to prevent your defeat, will start with less Darkness for your next battle.

Summary/TLDR
-Captured Ur-Garoth! And an empowered Duke!

-2 future heroes did end up escaping, Matilda and Bruce, defeated and alive by the skin of their teeth, but ready for a rematch.

Spoiler: Thoughts and Notes (click to show/hide)

It is now the Design Phase, Turn 2!

Your forces have conquered the territory around Ur-Garoth, overtaking dozens of small castles and towns, and sending a flood of raw resources and materials back to your capital. And also, many prisoners. What do you do with them, and the populations of Iserria you control?

A. Enslave them. You are the Dark Lord, of course you should exploit them for all of their worth and labor. Free up your own servants and forces for battle, and will significantly increase the size of your army. Of course it is very evil and everyone else will hate you more.

B. With A Light Touch. A change in the name and appearance of the tax collector only. Dissent is still not tolerated of course, but the average family wouldn’t notice too much of a difference. Not very popular with your forces, but will increase your pool of human recruits. Won’t make other nations like you, but it doesn’t make them hate you any more either!

C. Something Else?

Your next battle will most likely be a field battle, as the Kingdom of Iserria will assemble her army and ride to meet yours. Prepare your army for pitched battle, and in particular a charge of heavy cavalry.

Remember you get a free infrastructure design (can be any category, and when voting we can create a "Infrastructure" category for this one) and either a bonus +1 to a Design or a free Minor Champion (but both must in someway incorporate something from the Last Duke).

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14