Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Battle Phase  (Read 12171 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Design Phase
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2021, 09:20:25 am »

I would like to point out that the Duke doesn't provide us with cavalry, and that there's no need to produce T1 units to fill the infantry roles when we can just produce T2 units that will be far superior. Not to mention that pikes are a very immobile form of unit that is highly dependent on formation and therefore not useful when fighting in anything other than a set-piece battle. Spears and shields can operate in other conditions, even more so with alternative weapons to hand.

And the T1 crossbow unit is kind of just doing what the Auxiliaries already do, except with crossbows for whatever reason instead of bows and slings and whatnot.

I also want to point out that we can get a magic academy next turn but if we want to tie the infrastructure into the "how will we rule our conquered territories" thing, we need to do it now.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2021, 09:59:35 am »

I'm hoping to revise up cavalry, and want to use the bonus we got. Particularly notable, our only counter to enemy heroes is the dark lord, and if we take him as a minor champion then he probably dies and we still need to design a new champion next turn, without the +1.
T1 units have more numbers, and walls of pikes and bolts are a quality in themselves.
I expect plenty of battles where we'll want to be able to no-sell enemy cavalry, starting with this one.

A mix of slings, javelins, and bows, doesn't have the same impact against heavy armor as a volley of crossbow bolts, and having ranged units who don't have their training split to be generalist units is not a bad thing.

The Citadel Reforged is fine if we only care about the capital, but we conquered other lands too. A more wide-ranging infrastructure project would likely work better for making our people like us.

The wording on Legio II and III implies that we're only using orcs from the rabble for them. Which isn't bad, but the light touch conquest option says it's unpopular with our forces and increases the available human recruits. I'm reading it as an implication that any nice conquest variant will do something similar, and so I think it's a bad idea to only recruit orcs this turn.

Arrow Ward isn't a viable spell for this battle if only the Dark Lord or an occasional group of mages can cast it. We should get a T1 heal or a T2 AOE fire spell if we're not building the Magic Academy.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2021, 10:07:42 am »

Quote from: The Votebox
B. With A Light Touch: (3) Nirur, Rockeater, TricMagic

Free Infrastructure:
The Citadel Reforged: (3) Madman, King Zultan, TricMagic
Magic Academy: (2) Nirur, Rockeater

Shaping:
Terrible Claws: (3) Madman, Rockeater, TricMagic
Duke of Despair: (2) Nirur, King Zultan

Artifice:
Legio II Shieldbearers (unit, tier 2): (2) Madman, TricMagic
Legio III Arrowguard (unit, tier 2): (2) Madman, TricMagic
Pikewall (unit, tier 1): (3) Nirur, King Zultan, Rockeater
Crossbows (unit, tier 1): (3) Nirur, King Zultan, Rockeater

Magic:
Arrow Ward (T2): (3) Madman, Nirur, Rockeater

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 21, 2021, 10:08:58 am »

We don't have to work with the Duke this turn. Yes, numbers have advantages, but we're literally a deity of craftsmanship so I would put forwards the opinion that superior individuals is the way we want to go, especially as it drains the numbers out of lower-tier units as we make more mid-tier units.

You're right about the crossbows not having the same impact. They have less of an impact. A crossbow, despite the pop-culture understanding, is generally less powerful than a bow used by a trained bowman, fires a shorter (and thus lighter) bolt than an arrow, and doesn't have anywhere near the raw impact of a sling. And you can absolutely FORGET the relative effectiveness as compared to a good javelin. And the Auxilia is notably not split in training, it trains orcs based on what weapons they were already using. Individuals are not cross-trained, and the result is a T1 unit (supposed to be up to almost half our forces) that covers many ranged weapon roles more than good enough at the T1 level.

Actually right now we have literally conquered the capital and that's it, excepting some villages. And the important bit about this is that it sets the standard for our conquest and makes it obvious that we're not pure evil.

I can specify adding humans and whatnot to their ranks as available, but I am pretty sure that they're not going to be quite so immediately widely available. Also it'd likely require revising the officer corps to include humans as well.

Arrow Ward absolutely works even if it's limited in deployment. Even if it's just used to take the pressure off of a unit under heavy fire (er, heavy...projectile attack? it's not 'fire' when it's not a gun) on occasion it might be revolutionary.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn One-Battle Phase
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2021, 11:02:29 am »

Actually right now we have literally conquered the capital and that's it, excepting some villages.
   Your forces have conquered the territory around Ur-Garoth, overtaking dozens of small castles and towns, and sending a flood of raw resources and materials back to your capital. And also, many prisoners. What do you do with them, and the populations of Iserria you control?

especially as it drains the numbers out of lower-tier units as we make more mid-tier units.
I think that's only for revisions that tier up the best from a unit.

You're right about the crossbows not having the same impact. They have less of an impact. A crossbow, despite the pop-culture understanding, is generally less powerful than a bow used by a trained bowman, fires a shorter (and thus lighter) bolt than an arrow, and doesn't have anywhere near the raw impact of a sling. And you can absolutely FORGET the relative effectiveness as compared to a good javelin. And the Auxilia is notably not split in training, it trains orcs based on what weapons they were already using. Individuals are not cross-trained, and the result is a T1 unit (supposed to be up to almost half our forces) that covers many ranged weapon roles more than good enough at the T1 level.
After a bit of reading, it looks like later crossbows are effective against platemail, but were generally too slow to reload to be particularly desirable for field battles. Which is unfortunate, but arrow ward and a wall of pikes should make up the difference.
Javelins aren't effective for sustaining fire at long range.

The auxilia have too many roles. They're useful, but they don't have the same accuracy as a unit of dedicated archers, and they don't have enough bows or drilling to fire volleys that blot out the sun. Tactically, a block of ranged units using a patchwork of weapons with different ranges is difficult to use effectively, and doesn't do especially well at any given range.
Crossbows fit better with the craftslord theme better than bows, and I doubt they'll be significantly worse tactically.
As far as T1 vs T2 goes, I expect that the Arrowguard will be better vs knights, while a mass of ranged fire will be better against infantry. I'm betting that the cavalry will be protected from arrow fire until they're ready to charge, so I'd prefer to go for more arrows for more killing.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2021, 03:05:26 pm »

Okay a lot of votes for overlording with an easy hand. But can’t I tempt you with, ya know, being really evil and exploiting the heck out of your populace? Iron isn’t just going to mine itself, you know. And it’s not like you’re going to be thanked for it, being essentially their version of Satan.

On the other hand I suppose that by not working them to death and possibly improving their lives you will earn some loyalty eventually, as long as they aren’t “liberated” by the gathering forces of the Kingdom of Iserria.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2021, 06:40:29 pm »

Okay a lot of votes for overlording with an easy hand. But can’t I tempt you with, ya know, being really evil and exploiting the heck out of your populace? Iron isn’t just going to mine itself, you know. And it’s not like you’re going to be thanked for it, being essentially their version of Satan.

On the other hand I suppose that by not working them to death and possibly improving their lives you will earn some loyalty eventually, as long as they aren’t “liberated” by the gathering forces of the Kingdom of Iserria.
Naturally we'll indoctrine the next generation against the Light. Maybe set a few executions done by their own hand, a few light-plants killing people for the evil of not acting, and mob punishment.

Granted, I'm in favor of turning the Duke to our side against the light somehow.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn One-Battle Phase
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2021, 11:16:42 pm »

especially as it drains the numbers out of lower-tier units as we make more mid-tier units.
I think that's only for revisions that tier up the best from a unit.

No, it was stated on Discord that as we make more higher-grade units we'll reduce the numbers of the Rabble, rather than, as it were, taking from a 'pool' of T2-level infantry.

-snip-
After a bit of reading, it looks like later crossbows are effective against platemail, but were generally too slow to reload to be particularly desirable for field battles. Which is unfortunate, but arrow ward and a wall of pikes should make up the difference.
Javelins aren't effective for sustaining fire at long range.

The auxilia have too many roles. They're useful, but they don't have the same accuracy as a unit of dedicated archers, and they don't have enough bows or drilling to fire volleys that blot out the sun. Tactically, a block of ranged units using a patchwork of weapons with different ranges is difficult to use effectively, and doesn't do especially well at any given range.
Crossbows fit better with the craftslord theme better than bows, and I doubt they'll be significantly worse tactically.
As far as T1 vs T2 goes, I expect that the Arrowguard will be better vs knights, while a mass of ranged fire will be better against infantry. I'm betting that the cavalry will be protected from arrow fire until they're ready to charge, so I'd prefer to go for more arrows for more killing.
The effectiveness of ANY hand-weapon projectiles against plate armor is in fact a hotly debated subject even in academic circles. Suffice to say, crossbows were less effective at it than war bows for a few reasons, and as a general rule war bows don't punch through plate armor except in thinner regions like the sides of visors, they can punch through the mail covering gaps in the armor, and getting hit by one is roughly equivalent to getting punched by a superheavyweight boxer, which is where the primary anti-armor utility comes in. It's like a sharp (and small) mace, but you don't need to be standing next to a heavily armed knight to hit him with it.

As a general rule in field battles, projectile weapons are actually used at close range. A javelin thrown up to thirty meters is not that far off a war bow generally used at comparable distances, where the archers can all but point and shoot to maximize accuracy against the things they can actually hurt.

As for crafting crossbows versus bows, bows are simply a different, and very complicated, form of crafting.

The cavalry will likely not be "protected" except by wearing armor themselves, they'll be screening the wings of the enemy formation until it's time for them to charge. And more accurate arrows fired from stronger bows used by better-trained soldiers will get plenty of kills, I doubt they'll meaningfully fall behind more but worse archers, especially in situations where volume of fire isn't the best solution or isn't even a valid solution at all.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2021, 11:43:39 pm »

Free Infrastructure:
The Citadel Reforged: (4) Madman, King Zultan, TricMagic, Glass

Shaping:
Terrible Claws: (4) Madman, Rockeater, TricMagic, Glass

Artifice:
Legio II Shieldbearers (unit, tier 2): (3) Madman, TricMagic, Glass
Legio III Arrowguard (unit, tier 2): (3) Madman, TricMagic, Glass
Pikewall (unit, tier 1): (3) Nirur, King Zultan, Rockeater
Crossbows (unit, tier 1): (3) Nirur, King Zultan, Rockeater

Magic:
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2021, 08:34:37 am »

Since we have a tie in the votes, I’ll leave the voting open for the rest of the day.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2021, 06:11:37 pm »

Tie is broken.

Free Infrastructure:
The Citadel Reforged: (4) Madman, King Zultan, TricMagic, Glass

Shaping:
Terrible Claws: (4) Madman, Rockeater, TricMagic, Glass

Artifice:
Legio II Shieldbearers (unit, tier 2): (3) Madman, TricMagic, Glass
Legio III Arrowguard (unit, tier 2): (3) Madman, TricMagic, Glass
Pikewall (unit, tier 1): (2) King Zultan, Rockeater
Crossbows (unit, tier 1): (2) King Zultan, Rockeater

Magic:

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 03, 2022, 01:54:49 pm »

TURN TWO DESIGNS

INFRASTRUCTURE

Free Infrastructure: The Citadel Reforged
We tore the citadel holding us prisoner to pieces to escape, and it's no longer in as much of a livable shape as it could be. The populace is likewise not the most fond of us for understandable reasons. We are going to fix these in one swoop, by rebuilding the citadel. There are many, many, many Orcs with free time on their hands, a monstrously capable demolition machine, and an Avatar of a literal deity of crafting all camped out in this citadel at the moment, and it's time to put them to use. We are going to rebuild every destroyed (or otherwise in poor condition, even if it wasn't our fault) building and renovate the citadel and walls to be even better. The houses that are rebuilt will be rebuilt better, and all will be given first to the people who lived in them previously. If all occupants are dead, then we can use the land or building for other purposes or sell them off or whatever is necessary, but our first goal is public relations.

The new outer wall will be further from the citadel, to give the city more space, and hung above its reflective grey granite surface will of course be the banners of the Legions and Dark Lord with such friendly background colors as green, and blue, and white. The wall itself is taller, with nine towers instead of six, no longer connected together or directly connected to the citadel, to save on space behind the walls. The towers are of course covered in weapons and the gatehouse is a massive bastion with multiple gates and murder holes and machicolations for days. The main citadel is likewise made more dangerous to attack, but given a nice casing of white stone.

Inside the city, the streets are cleaned up, a sewage system is installed (the Dark Lord has had a lot of time to design his new fortress, given that he's been chained up underneath it dreaming about its conquest for a couple millennia), and there are gardens and trees placed amongst the enlarged city.

While we're rebuilding the city, we will rebuild the society. Positions under the Dark Lord's rule will be handed out based on merit, open to any (non-treasonous) citizen who wishes to do the job. No retributions will be had for the resistance to the Dark Lord's resurgence, and no retributions will be made to any newly conquered peoples for their prior resistance to the new management. Obviously once people are under our rule resistance will be dealt with, but not ridiculously harshly. Treason will not be counted as much of a crime as murder, for example, and orcs and humans will be equal under the laws. Orcs, humans, and anything else with near human-level intelligence that we produce, that is.

The Citadel Reforged: Hard Difficulty (5-1)= 4

With the citadel in ruins, there would be no better time to rebuild the seat of your power. While some might expect your capital to be steel plated and covered in spikes (hilariously expensive while you have legions to forge), you instead went with a nice looking grey stone for the outer walls and a white stone casing for the central keep. While still aesthetically pleasing, you made sure to make the fortress as defensible as you could, funneling attackers under the gaze of protruding towers and murder holes.

The city also underwent renovations, with the ancient cisterns and sewers you built a thousand years ago restored and brought to working order once again.  Tensions with the populace have been tense, with many widows and wounded grieving their loss, and fearful of what your rule will bring. They believe that you are Evil itself, and turn a cynical eye towards any actions you take in their rule, though you leave them mostly undisturbed.

Your own forces for their part resent the generous treatment afforded to their former enemies, and the lack of loot has certainly dampened enthusiasm.

However, already your plans bear fruit as the oppressed and outsiders to society flock to your banner. Most are unremarkable, but you can find a few diamonds in the rough, those ostracized for their intelligence and unwillingness to conform.

Eliminates Human recruit limits, and increased effect on converting your populace to follow you. However, your orcish forces are somewhat upset at their lack of preferential treatment.

SHAPING

Shaping: Terrible Claws (beast cavalry) (better name always welcome)
To fill out our cavalry roster we have turned to the more...organic creations. Flesh is very different from metal, but the Dark Lord can work with both. Functioning as a sort of terrifying light and medium cavalry, the Terrible Claws are highly intelligent beasts, capable of following commands and accepting orcs as riders. They stand on two legs, have thick skin and tough hair that serves to protect them, and can run as fast as a horse. Their snouts contain a whole lot of very dangerous teeth, and their eyes face forwards with excellent vision and depth perception. Hearing is average for a predator, which means 'terrifyingly good' by most civilized peoples' standards. Their most notable features, however, are their claws. Their feet each carry a single enormous claw that is strong enough to be used in a swordfight, while their hands and arms are reinforced with bony plates, further reinforced with steel when they are in our army, and terribly sharp claws, again augmented with steel in our service. Their thin tails serve to balance them when they run.

If you hadn't already guessed, they eat mostly meat. But they're not really a natural animal, and some of the magic woven into them allows them to go without food for extended periods of time, so that they don't, y'know, devour entire populations of domestic animals and wildlife whenever an army moves around. This does not hurt their ability to fight (because magic) but also does not improve their temperament (because hunger). They will obey commands, particularly those given by spellcasters/the Dark Lord himself as they are, again, slightly magical. Usually a cultist, Orcish spellcaster, or officer will ride one of the beasts in a detachment to give them orders and report back on reconnaissance (we weren't willing to make these things close enough to sentient to give accurate recon reports, they're terrifying enough as is), though most of the beasts do not have riders as riders slow them down and make their terrifying leaps less impressive. They do reproduce naturally, but the magic that allows them to not eat and forces them to obey commands prevents them from, say, escaping, and overrunning the world with supernaturally good killing machines.

And they said experimenting with the laws of nature was irresponsible. Look how responsible we actually are! We're doing great!

Terrible Claws : (Roll=1)

The creation of the Terrible Claws got a bit out of hand. Now, you designed a elegant killing machine, perfect for tearing apart men and horses, but that is all that it wants to do. It is nigh uncontrollable through mundane means, and while you personally can control a pack of them, it requires significant levels of attention to do so. Your acolytes would barely manage to control one, and poorly at that.

About as tall as a warhorse, if tamed they could make acceptable mounts, but all testing as ended with riders thrown or hanging on for dear life as the beasts launch themselves at their target. They are not quite as fast as a horse at full gallop, but are quite nimble. Horses fear their presence. All in all, they make for fearsome killing machines.

However, their magical indoctrination went somewhat wrong, and the Terrible Claws have an instinct to kill almost everything they come across, be they friend or foe. They do not head commands given verbally or physical, and only commands given through your magical dominance can quiet them for a time, but your acolytes are not so skilled as to maintain control and ride into combat at the same time. Also, their partially magical nature may make them more vulnerable to magical effects.

For now, you keep them penned up in a pit while you figure out what you can do with them. You could perhaps release them to ravage enemy lands, but they would be an indiscriminate force, and may be hard to corral back under your control.

Terrible Claws: Tier 4 (Breeding currently limited until more controllable, then tier 3): Intelligent and vicious beasts, run on two legs and armed with large claws and sharp teeth. Strong enough to carry a rider. Currently wild and untamable unless magically directed.

ARTIFICE

Artifice: Legio II Shieldbearers (unit, tier 2)

To fight in the fields, we need a force designed around formation fighting and defense against cavalry or other heavy enemy forces. The Shieldbearers are the answer, a force of medium infantry capable of holding a line of battle for as long as necessary. Similar to the Deeping Guard in their armor, their mail is a bit lighter and their shields are larger kite shields. Their helms are the same, though, to provide great protection to the one thing you can always stab when a soldier is hiding behind a shield. They wear a single steel gauntlet and bracer on their weapon hands to protect them, with no armor on their shield arms (since you can't really be stabbed in your shield arm since it's, y'know, holding a shield). This saves some weight, combined with their lighter mail on their torso it gives them serious advantages in combat endurance. Furthermore the Orcs pulled from the Rabble for this unit must pass a grueling endurance test, hours of combat and marching in the full sun, all to further the goal of producing a line unit that can fight, or march, all day and night without tiring. Humans can also join the unit if they pass the same tests, obviously they might not be as plentiful at the moment but that's OK. For weaponry they bear a roughly 8-foot spear with a warhammer as a backup weapon. Yes we like hammers, no we will not reconsider, yes we will hammer a dent into your skull with them if you question us about it. The only new or special thing about their training is a course on combat engineering. They are trained to build a fortified encampment for the army, every single night. Their greater endurance means they can march further during the thereby lessened hours of the day they spend marching, and then build a camp at the end, while units such as the Archers prepare (and possibly catch) food while the Deeping Guard provides the sentries for the night watch.

Their armor is burnished black mail over a steel-grey gambeson. A dark green surcoat bears the symbol of a hammer with a golden head and steel-grey shaft with golden flames burning up the handle. The shield is green and bears the symbol of the Legions which hangs to the right of the Dark Lord's own, an inverted hammer in grey and gold again, topped with a helm reminiscent of the Dark Lord's crown; steel-grey with a black gem in the middle. Their full helms also recall the Dark Lord's crown, but more practical and less ornate, as befits a line unit.

Legio II Shieldbearers: (Roll=4)

To be selected for the Second Legion, an orc must pass a test of grueling conditions, standing on guard in their armor for a full day and night and go on a march afterwards. At the end of that march they must then build a camp with the rest of their company. Then they face their final and most fearsome test, called “The Pacer”, where they run back and forth between two lines about 50 feet apart for as long as they can. Upon passing this grueling challenge, they are accepted into the ranks of the legion.

The Shieldbearers bear their eponymous shields, a large green kite shield, and a 8 ft long spear, with a hammer as a backup weapon. They are steady in battle, and possess longer endurance than most. They take charge of building the fortified camps for your armies, and generally any fortifications built on the field of battle.
                                        They are not fast, nor particularly skilled in combat, but they are some of the most reliable and solid heavy infantry to be found.

Shieldbearers: Tier 2: Heavy infantry, armed with shield and spear. Also capable of building fortified camps.

Artifice: Legio III Arrowguard (unit, tier 2)
As we further improve our forces we have drawn the best of the archers from the lower ranks into a disciplined unit of ranged troops capable of outshooting most forces. Wielding longbows of the finest quality and wearing light mail and open-faced helms, they can lay down a withering hail of arrows and cut straight through most armor short of good-quality plate with their armor-piercing arrows. These orcs are tested for good eyesight and strength of arms to draw their heavy bows, and as is now our standard humans can join the Legion units (or any other unit, for that matter) if they can pass the tests and perform according to expectations within them. They are armed with a hammer and shield in addition to their bows, of course. They are trained to operate both in close ranks for set-piece battles and in open order in a skirmishing role, with all emphasis placed on accuracy and lethality with the bow. The reconnaissance duties are left to the Auxiliaries and cavalry.

Their armor is burnished black mail over a blue gambeson. A blue surcoat bears the symbol of a hammer with a golden head and steel-grey shaft with golden flames burning up the handle. The shield is blue and bears the symbol of the Legions which hangs to the right of the Dark Lord's own, an inverted hammer in grey and gold again, topped with a helm reminiscent of the Dark Lord's crown; steel-grey with a black gem in the middle. Their full helms also recall the Dark Lord's crown, but more practical and less ornate, as befits a line unit.

Legio III Arrowguard (Roll=6)

While the Second Legion would be focused on defense, the Third were raised up to add some punch to your ranged capabilities. Taking stock of captured longbows, and struck by inspiration, you crafted The Black Bow, enchanted similar to the Black Bolts you made to deal with the heroes. It was enchanted to subtly assist the wielder, allowing them to aim far more accurately and intuitively, and also allow them to keep firing without becoming exhausted. It could also expend its power to launch an arrow enchanted with Darkness, hard to stop except through the providence of fate or great power.
                                        The Black Bow would become the basis for the bows made for the Arrowguard. Powerful and deadly from a distance, only solid plate could deflect a shot. Only the Rangers of the Mendevellion could claim that their longbows match those of the Arrowguard. 
                                        The Arrowguard are heavily armed for archers, armored as well. This does impact their endurance some, but they are not afraid to get in a melee if forced to. They won’t stand long against dedicated melee infantry, but against militia and conscripts they could hold their own and even beat them back. They are not particularly adept at scouting, but their arrows do a mighty fine job of finding their targets.

Arrowguard: (Tier 2) Longbow wielding, heavily armored archers. Deadly at range, and capable in melee.
The Black Bow (Artifact): Given to best archer. Once per battle, can launch an enchanted arrow against a Target.

MAGIC

Arrow Ward (T2)
We need a one-way barrier that a mage can project in front of a formation of troops, to protect it from arrows while allowing those inside to fire back. After a brainstorming session, it was determined that we unfortunately can't easily solve this problem with fire or darkfire. Instead, a tall, arc-shaped zone will alter the velocity of physical objects in it, pushing them away from the caster. Enemy arrows will be slowed until they are practically harmless, and our own will receive a minor speed boost.
At this power, larger objects, like a charging horseman or giant rocks, will only see negligible impact. Arrows from the sides won't be slowed, but might have their aim thrown off, if the mage casts the arc wide enough to catch them.

Arrow Ward (Roll =6)

While developing your own archers, you devised a counter to the arrows of your enemy. Called the Arrow Ward, it was an efficient, easily cast spell that could be scaled up to the power of the caster(s). It cast a large arc in front of the caster, one that would slow and stop incoming arrows, while speeding the flight of arrows outgoing. It proved to be effective in tests, with the only limit being the size and duration of the spell. Particularly for the acolytes, it could prove to be draining to maintain.
                                        With your current level of mages in your army, you figure you can cover at least half your force through the initial exchanges of arrows, and then focus on protecting sections undergoing heavy attack. The Arrow Ward had little effect on spellfire, and heavy projectiles drained energy at a worrisome rate.
   Overall, the spell Arrow Ward provides an easily scalable ward to deflect physical projectiles. It also provides a solid foundation for further efforts in warding spell design.

Arrow Ward: (Tier I): Ward that deflects incoming arrows, and aids the flight of arrows originating from behind the ward. Easily scalable with the power of the user.

It is now the REVISION PHASE. You get 2 Revisions this turn to modify, create variants, or train Minor Champions. Reminder that Minor Champions can and (probably will) die, depending on how they are used in battle. You also still have the Duke available to make a "free" Minor Champion, or to save for a future +1 to a design.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Revision Phase
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2022, 12:09:08 am »

It's Just Raptors
After the Terrible Claws turned out, well, terribly, we've worked on fixing them, because boy oh boy those things turned out poorly. I guess wiring an organic brain works a lot differently from wiring up an automaton, who knew? We'll keep some of the defective ones around, though...they'd make great training material in the proper circumstances.

Anyway we're going to go rewire their brains to be less, eh, what's a good word for "hostile to all life"? Very, very carefully. Then we're going to rewrite the magical bindings, with more understanding of what exactly is going on inside the creature as our reference for how to more efficiently and effectively enchant it. The magical bindings will be reworked to actually provide control and direction and a sense of "ally" and "enemy", however basic it is. They need to be controllable by mages we actually have. They should follow physical commands given by a non-magical rider so long as they're under the control of one of our mages, so that not every cavalryman needs to be a mage.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn One-Revision Phase
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2022, 04:14:03 am »

Orcish Resilience
The standard orc is already quite tough, but with some minor alterations to the shaping process, we can substantially increase their survivability.
The most funded and most important improvement is a greatly increased disease resistance, allowing the orc to shrug off most mundane afflictions that could kill or cripple most mortals. The other improvements include minor things like bleeding out less, surviving  and bones having cleaner fractures, but notably not pain tolerance. The end result being that of our battlefield casualties, many will get up and be ready for the next battle, and attrition rates are a fraction of what they would have been.
might as well repost this

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Designs: Turn Two-Revision Phase
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2022, 07:52:03 pm »

Dark Spear
Oh sure, we have a magic spell that can shoot through walls and kill one person, but what we need is something that can kill multiple people and/or blast through buildings.  This is where dark spear comes in.  A version of dark bolt that, on impact, releases a veritable shotgun blast, so to speak, in the direction it was traveling.  This will shred through several troops or heavily strike a wall.  It also has an arcing projectile path so that it can effectively be fired from behind troops.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14