Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 131454 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Ceramic Bread
« Reply #705 on: August 08, 2021, 03:51:57 pm »

As the speaker thinks, he has a sudden understanding…

Wait!  Not rods of counting, but roads of country!

The speaker then asks the land if there are any farms that aren’t connected to any roads.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 08, 2021, 06:44:02 pm »

((cat, you have three posts this turn that have bolded actions in them. Please go back and unbold your other actions, especially as they arenot moves that require the GM's attention.))

"RODS. OF. BOUNTY."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:49:31 pm by Ozarck »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: August 08, 2021, 06:48:03 pm »

((cat, you have three posts this turn that have bolded actions in them. Please go back and unbold your other actions, especially as they arenot moves that require the GM's attention.))

Done.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: August 08, 2021, 06:49:53 pm »

good work :P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #709 on: August 08, 2021, 09:58:57 pm »

Also "Maintain condition" could very easily mean "Freeze everyone in place". Be careful.
Good point, that'd be embarrassing.

"Can you add us all to the crew roster before we set sail? It's for magic purposes."

Grey makes his request.

Regardless of what comes of that, Grey has heard enough and is ready to move on to the ship whenever.

Grey also Maintains Greed's ability to breathe if he really wants it, and lets Greed know that it is not Grey's fault if anything bad happens.

Lastly, if we get moving to the boat and Luta manages to spawn more rifles than they can carry, Grey grabs one.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)

The captain nods to this request.
[4]
You maintain his ability to breathe. Its not perfect, but its better than normal.

We'll see how that works out. If it is the case, assume you grabbed one.

”Well, it’s a step in the right direction.”
Chip at a rock a bit, then use the WHITE ROCK FLAKES to make RIFLES, and a HOTCAKE, because why not.
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
[1][+1 fate]
White rock flakes eh? That has all the letters for Aerolith!

The rock flakes vanish, seemingly into nothing. A moment later a softball sized chunk of stone comes rocketing in from somewhere high above. [-1 HP] The meteor comes in at a low angle, almost skimming the ground. It screams past the group so fast that they don't even have time to recognize what it is, though it just barely clips Luta and sends her tumbling for a dozen feet. The stone strikes the water somewhere several miles away and raises a giant plum of steam and foam.

To the captain:
"Our information suggests this issue is caused by a misplaced rod of bounty, which is why we have been asking about that. Likely, the rod of bounty is what is causing the cathc to be numerous and the creatures to be larger and more troublesome. If you spot some unnatural object, removing that object may be the key to your troubles, though you may still have some enlarged creatures left to deal with. But it doesn't matter how many beasts you slay, if the rod is not isolated from them. Our orders include retrieving the rod and disposing of it ourselves, so I would request that the rod be handed over to one of us if it falls into your hands. Meanwhile I, and a few of our group, will stay here on ground for now to speak with your boss and to do some additional intel work. We'll keep you updated with what we learn about this particular rod. Hopefully we can find something of use to you." Genesis starts to turn away, then turns back. "We should be able to catch up to you in transit should our services be better used on ship. Our compatriots will know how to reach us in that event. Ah, please direct us to your boss, and send us a token of introduction so we don't have to explain ourselves."

To Tess and any others who are staying on shore to investigate:
"We have a few avenues we can pursue here. We can talk with this boss person, we can speak to the locals, especially the dock hands and any sailors who have experience in these matters, we can move inland and seek out any farm areas that have recently lost their rods. I recommend we have on all tongue remain with us, and the other go on ship. Debby, I think you'd be better suited to be our liaison on ship, while I think I'd feel more comfortable keeping my eye on The Speaker."

Forming Shore Team and Ship Team.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Updated link web (click to show/hide)
"I'll take ye to him myself. Its on the way to the ship."

"If you think I'm needed on the boat I'll go on the boat."
She then turns her attention to Elizabeth to see how she feels about all this.
"Isn't this exciting we're gonna be going on a boat and fighting a sea monster, but don't worry I'll keep ya safe."
Say the things and get ready to get on the boat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Liz does seem interesting in what's going on - you get the feeling she's never seen the sea- but she also looks cold. Its true that it is quite windy and stormy out; you just didn't notice because of the robe.

As the speaker thinks, he has a sudden understanding…

Wait!  Not rods of counting, but roads of country!

The speaker then asks the land if there are any farms that aren’t connected to any roads.

The captain continues to ignore the mad ravings.
[1][+1 fate][-6 HP]
The "Land" is quite a large thing to ask something. Its effectively akin to asking the entire continent. And of course, something that big reacts to your pestering in the same way a person might react to the wiggling of a flea. The ground underneath speaker suddenly erupts upward in a geologic uppercut and sends Speaker flying. He arcs up a good 20 feet and then comes back down with a crunch. He lays there, gasping and moaning for several minutes before struggling back to his feet. He's bloody, like he fell face first down a hill, and has a dislocated shoulder and clearly broken ribs. He can walk but...well he doesn't enjoy it.

join boat squad, and test the axe in the water
Dipping the ax in water produces a thin coating of ice on its surface.

"Maybe you should try getting a notepad and writing things out for Speaker, since he doesn't seem to hear very well."
I then turn to the Captain
"Thank you for your help sir, and sorry for all the trouble."
Shore team

join boat squad, and test the axe in the water
Boat.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
Get on the boat
"If you think I'm needed on the boat I'll go on the boat."
She then turns her attention to Elizabeth to see how she feels about all this.
"Isn't this exciting we're gonna be going on a boat and fighting a sea monster, but don't worry I'll keep ya safe."
Say the things and get ready to get on the boat.
To the captain:
"Our information suggests this issue is caused by a misplaced rod of bounty, which is why we have been asking about that. Likely, the rod of bounty is what is causing the cathc to be numerous and the creatures to be larger and more troublesome. If you spot some unnatural object, removing that object may be the key to your troubles, though you may still have some enlarged creatures left to deal with. But it doesn't matter how many beasts you slay, if the rod is not isolated from them. Our orders include retrieving the rod and disposing of it ourselves, so I would request that the rod be handed over to one of us if it falls into your hands. Meanwhile I, and a few of our group, will stay here on ground for now to speak with your boss and to do some additional intel work. We'll keep you updated with what we learn about this particular rod. Hopefully we can find something of use to you." Genesis starts to turn away, then turns back. "We should be able to catch up to you in transit should our services be better used on ship. Our compatriots will know how to reach us in that event. Ah, please direct us to your boss, and send us a token of introduction so we don't have to explain ourselves."

To Tess and any others who are staying on shore to investigate:
"We have a few avenues we can pursue here. We can talk with this boss person, we can speak to the locals, especially the dock hands and any sailors who have experience in these matters, we can move inland and seek out any farm areas that have recently lost their rods. I recommend we have on all tongue remain with us, and the other go on ship. Debby, I think you'd be better suited to be our liaison on ship, while I think I'd feel more comfortable keeping my eye on The Speaker."

Forming Shore Team and Ship Team.

Spoiler: Updated link web (click to show/hide)
Go find the armory, and also see if I can make the ship invisible.  Then go ask the guy who can use the maintain spell and ask him to maintain my ability to breath.  Then go stick my head in a water barrel and test my capabilities.  Then boat team.

The captain leads the team to a switchback path cut into the stone, down a hundred or so feet towards the water and the upper limits of the cliff dwelling town. Once among the buildings he walks off along repurposed gangplanks and catwalks, weaving a course through the bustling thoroughfares so quickly that the team struggles to keep up. Here, far above the water, most of the foot traffic seems to be wives carrying sacks and bags while below men carry great slabs of flesh or crates of flopping fish. Children run everywhere on the upper level, moving across hanging lines and perilous cliff edges like ancient sailors through their ship's rigging. The captain stops suddenly and, after a moment waiting for everyone to catch up, walks into one of the buildings nearby. The exterior of the building is fairly non-descript: just another block of metal embedded in the stone. The interior on the other hand is quite opulent in its way. Wood paneled walls and ceiling, electric lights hidden in amber glass shades, sparse furniture of stained wood and dark blue upholstery. It has the feeling, almost- of the captain's cabin of one of those ancient ships from the romantic past.  In the center of the room is an enormous wooden desk, and seated behind it is an equally enormous man.

He's an older man, much like the captain, with white hair and a thick beard. But where the captain is a thin and severe man, this man is rounded and bulging. He has the build of a bear and is roughly the same size, a dense slab of muscle. His long hair is brushed back out of his face and on his forehead is what looks like a brand or a scar. A brand in the shape of an eye, identical to the one adorning the team's clothing. 

"Hey boss, this lot has some questions for ye". The captain says before immediately shoving his way back through the team and outside. The Ship bound group follows along behind while the shore group remains. The boss carefully places his pen down on top of the papers he has in front of him and rests his hands atop the desk.

"Ask away." he says, seemingly unsurprised.

Meanwhile the ship group traverses the complex web of stairs, paths, and walkways that eventually leads to the docks below. They move towards one of the enormous ships docked in the center of the bay.  However, as they reach the gangplank and are starting to ascend the captain suddenly turns back to them.

"Heed this well: This ship is mine. Its men are mine. The decisions are mine so long as ye are on it. I see ye are used to doing as ye please but I am the one who will have to tell the widows how their husbands died. I am no tyrant or sadist and I know your...significance. My orders are here to keep us all alive. If I tell ye to act, do so."

He looks back at shore a moment before turning and continuing up the gangplank. "If ye need anything from the shore, get it now. Chances being we won't be back till this is finished. The last supplies are being loaded now. When you're ready to shove off, let me know."

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:22:26 am by piecewise »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: August 08, 2021, 11:03:36 pm »

Make more flakes, but hold onto them for now. Make my way as far from the town as possible, but still over the water (on top of a cliff would do). Once in a suitably out of the way spot, use the ROCK CHICKEN STATUE to make a KRAKEN. Use a fate point in this. Obviously, conjure it in the water. If I have to make it less powerful to make sure it obeys me, do so.
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:34:58 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: August 09, 2021, 12:08:14 am »

Shore Team
Explain and Ask:
"Our orders tell us that this situation has been caused by a misplaced rod of bounty, and to return the object with us for disposal. We are also to attempt to determine how the rod came to be misplaced. We've been told that these rods are used mainly for farming purposes, and that the incidents around here began several months ago. Tell, me, if you would:
1)What do rods of bounty typically look like?
2) how big is their typical area of effect?
3) can a farmer carry one unnoticed on their person?
4) have there been recent incidents or movement of farmers from the countrysidde to the port shortly before the catch of fish began to grow?
5) have you heard of any inland regions recently coming under atypical hardships that might be attributed to the loss of a rod?
6) do these rods typically affect livestock, crops, humans?
7) how do mundanes submit requests to the Magi for assistance?"

Spoiler: link web (click to show/hide)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: August 09, 2021, 12:42:49 am »

Grey finds the captain and lets him know what he's going to be doing.

"Captain, provided you are willing I am going to be preparing something that should make us all resistant to physical harm, for a little while anyways. I am also going to be shielding the ship's hull, I don't know how long it'll hold up in a fight but it should take at least one solid hit without taking any damage."

"Also...What's the ship's name? if I may ask?"

Grey spends one fate and puts a new spell in his needle, Maintain the health and physical well being of the ship's crew. If the captain doesn't like this for some reason, Grey changes it to Maintain the health and physical well being of the ship's Homunculi crew.

Unless the captain objects Grey spends another fate point and Maintains the hull's state of repair, keeping it as an ongoing process.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:24:37 am by Fire and Glory »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: August 09, 2021, 05:01:21 am »

"Don't worry Elizabeth I'll find something to keep you warm and dry."
Look around the dock for any kind of abandoned cloth and sheet plastic, then once those items are found use my sword to cut the cloth into a robe, then do the same for the plastic sheeting so it act as a poncho, after all that's done get on the boat.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: August 09, 2021, 07:11:19 am »

Find a sword, get on boat, and stick my head in some water.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #715 on: August 09, 2021, 08:23:04 am »

(Oz pointed out that Speaker was talking to the land not the captain so I fixed the turn. Thank oz for that, cat~)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: August 09, 2021, 09:07:21 am »

“Understood Captain, what’re your orders?”
Listen for the captain’s orders, if no orders are given, look around the ship to see who needs help and what they need help with
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 06:08:59 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Unique Pain
« Reply #717 on: August 09, 2021, 04:20:33 pm »

“Understood Captain, what’re your orders?”
Listen for the captain’s orders, if no orders are given, look around the ship to see who needs help and what they need help with
Youare taps Dew on the shoulder.

"I only have one needle link. As a redundancy measure, it's probably worthwhile to have at least two. Would you be happy to link needles?"

Youare wanders the docks attempting to borrow, beg, or requisition:
 - net(s)
 - fish or other creatures, still living
 - bait of any kind
 - any kind of fishing rod
 - anything used as a light source
 - anything used to slice up or kill fish, such as a gutting knife

He then returns to the ship and links with Dew if permitted.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: August 09, 2021, 06:09:38 pm »

“Yes, linking is good”((Link added to spoiler, including the one I made with Speaker but forgot to add))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: August 09, 2021, 10:47:51 pm »

(Oz pointed out that Speaker was talking to the land not the captain so I fixed the turn. Thank oz for that, cat~)

((Yes, of course.))

((Thanks, Oz, four those 6 extra hit points!))

"1)What do rods of bounty typically look like?”

Rods of bounding?  Well, I suppose they would look like a metal tube with some kind of foot and would be inserted into another tube along with a spring.  The outer tube would have handholds and footrests and the whole thing would work by forcing the inner tube into the outer tube in such a way as to compress the spring thus making the spring push back on the inner tube with enough force to cause the whole contraption and it’s rider to be propelled upwards and/or in whatever direction they were leaning.

"2) how big is their typical area of effect?”

The area of the biggest pickle?  I have no idea.

"3) can a farmer carry one unnoticed on their person?"

Well, I suppose it depends on the size of the pickle!

"
4) have there been recent incidents or movement of farmers from the countrysidde to the port shortly before the catch of fish began to grow?
5) have you heard of any inland regions recently coming under atypical hardships that might be attributed to the loss of a rod?
6) do these rods typically affect livestock, crops, humans?
7) how do mundanes submit requests to the Magi for assistance?"

What, can you please stop mumbling and mouthing the words, I’m having a hard time making out what you are saying!

The Speaker then addresses the man behind the desk:

Do you know if there are any farms that aren’t connected to any roads, I asked the land earlier, but it must not have been in a good mood…. Also, do you know anything about any counting rods, or bounding rods?”, The Speaker asks inquisitively.

Edit:  fixed an unintentional quote pyramid.

Edit2:  Lenglon is a spoilsport…
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:17:25 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 116