Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread.  (Read 7241 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread. Character Applications are now Open!
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2021, 01:13:37 am »

Alright, your Jeoathica application should work. I'll comment that Omnipresence will have a bit of a cooldown period with its current point cost.

Players going to Jeoathica can update their application at any time before their first turn is taken.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2021, 01:27:02 am »

Cool, sounds good.

Also I updated my Universal sheet a bit (for -Mild, changed "Affective power" reduction to "Offensive power" reduction).
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2021, 01:28:25 am »

Lands Adrift
Name: Max
Race: Ratling
Racial Penalty: Jittery
Racial Penalty: Small
No bonuses.

Small, ratlike demihuman with fur, teeth, and sharp ears.
Currently stowing away on someone's ship at an undetermined location, in an attempt to find adventure after leaving his home island.  Has difficulty remaining in one place and staying quiet for some time, and as a small humanoid, is not effective in physical combat.
Devastator, while I can accept not having a profession or the skills that come with it, your race cannot come without bonuses. Even from what you've described, small by itself can easily be reworded with bonuses and maluses that fit it - good at hiding, bad at feats of strength, able to fit into small areas, etc. Jittery, for that matter, doesn't have anything it would mechanically apply to, and is instead pretty RP-based.
Point is, you need to rework your racial modifiers. There are things that a ratling would be good at, just as much as there would be things they're bad at. I can't let you have a purely bad character.

Lands Adrift
Name: Mysti Mikura
Race: Human
+Perceptive: A keen observer of the surrounding environment.
+Unbreakable Will: Never discouraged even in extremely distressful situations. Not easily influenced, magically or otherwise.
+Physically Adept: Agile, enduring, and moving with skillful grace, Mysti always seems to land on her feet.
+Social Intuitive: Easily perceives and understands others and able to pick up on their moods, intentions, etc.
Character Description: 5'6, female, medium length brown hair with pigtails. Wields a scimitar and a magic pistol. Friendly and curious. Interested in technology. Is familiar with magic, but not an expert; can cast simple spells like levitation and detection. Loves to adventure and find out more about the mysteries of the world.
Starting Island: Ol' Betsy
Pretty much good. I'll add Mysti to the characters list.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2021, 01:36:28 am »

Cool, thanks.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2021, 01:42:58 am »

Lands Adrift
Racial Penalty: Jittery
Racial Penalty: Small
No bonuses.

Currently stowing away on someone's ship at an undetermined location, in an attempt to find adventure after leaving his home island.  Has difficulty remaining in one place and staying quiet for some time, and as a small humanoid, is not effective in physical combat.
Devastator, while I can accept not having a profession or the skills that come with it, your race cannot come without bonuses. Even from what you've described, small by itself can easily be reworded with bonuses and maluses that fit it - good at hiding, bad at feats of strength, able to fit into small areas, etc. Jittery, for that matter, doesn't have anything it would mechanically apply to, and is instead pretty RP-based.
Point is, you need to rework your racial modifiers. There are things that a ratling would be good at, just as much as there would be things they're bad at. I can't let you have a purely bad character.

Hmm, that's a bit too bad, I was hoping to have a purely bad character there, seemed like the most entertaining route.  Would you accept one with more specific weaknesses?  Or empty benefits that won't affect things on the scale of the game, but would make sense on a worldwide scale?  IE, there's a reason why there would be ratlings, but not one that'd benefit my character.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:01:10 am by Devastator »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2021, 02:03:40 am »

I think we can start after NatureGirl makes her sheet?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2021, 08:43:40 am »

Mechal is ready to begin accepting actions!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2021, 11:39:43 am »

Hmm, that's a bit too bad, I was hoping to have a purely bad character there, seemed like the most entertaining route.  Would you accept one with more specific weaknesses?  Or empty benefits that won't affect things on the scale of the game, but would make sense on a worldwide scale?  IE, there's a reason why there would be ratlings, but not one that'd benefit my character.
...sure, I suppose that’s fair. But yeah, flaws need to be things where it’s clear what rolls they apply to, and bonuses need the capacity to have the same.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2021, 01:41:55 pm »

Lands Adrift
(+) Fecund (Ratlings have lots of kids)
(+) Short Childhood (Ratlings grow up fast)
(-) Frail (Ratlings are injured easily)
(-) Weak (Ratlings are not strong
No bonuses.

Currently stowing away on someone's ship at an undetermined location, in an attempt to find adventure after leaving his home island.

Would that work, or should I have four questionable benefits?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2021, 03:31:25 pm »

Devastator, bonuses need to be things that you could roll to apply. There's no situation where the number of children you could have or the duration of your childhood could be applicable, other than in backstories.

I am willing to decide on bonuses for you. I assure you, being good at hiding or running away will not make your character too powerful for your desired plystyle.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2021, 03:46:17 pm »

Well, those were deliberately chosen to not be relevant to gameplay, while providing an in-universe explanation as to why there would be ratmen despite being purely bad characters.

but really, it's mostly that I don't see why mechanical bonuses are necessary to make good characters, or playable ones.  If you feel a character must have arbritary bonuses to random elements of the game, then I think I'd rather sit it out.  Nothing against you, I just don't see why having a particular +1 is so important.

Is it?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2021, 03:59:37 pm »

In the interest of averting drama over this particular issue, I propose that the GM takes care of the bonuses and whatever associated mechanics are with it.

If you think that a particular +1 is "not so important", then you won't mind having it either. You're already going with a 'favorable ruling' on your dubious universal talents which frankly is enough of a self-handicap for a game with a difficulty that you aren't even sure about.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2021, 04:01:05 pm »

Well, those were deliberately chosen to not be relevant to gameplay, while providing an in-universe explanation as to why there would be ratmen despite being purely bad characters.

but really, it's mostly that I don't see why mechanical bonuses are necessary to make good characters, or playable ones.  If you feel a character must have arbritary bonuses to random elements of the game, then I think I'd rather sit it out.  Nothing against you, I just don't see why having a particular +1 is so important.

Is it?
Mostly, it's just that the way I see it, everybody is going to have something that they're relatively good at. It may not be something that other people consider valuable, it may not even be something that they consider valuable, but they're good at it.
The way you've described your character, it only makes sense for them to be good at hiding, maybe good at escaping. Being completely worse at everything just doesn't make sense.

If you really don't want your character to be have anything that they're really skilled at, ok, so be it. But don't give them extra maluses on top of that.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2021, 04:02:08 pm »

Devastator, bonuses need to be things that you could roll to apply. There's no situation where the number of children you could have or the duration of your childhood could be applicable, other than in backstories.

I am willing to decide on bonuses for you. I assure you, being good at hiding or running away will not make your character too powerful for your desired plystyle.

"Thinking quickly, Max settles down and starts a family. Two days later his army of grandchildren arrives armed to the teeth."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2021, 04:23:53 pm »

Is it?
Mostly, it's just that the way I see it, everybody is going to have something that they're relatively good at. It may not be something that other people consider valuable, it may not even be something that they consider valuable, but they're good at it.
The way you've described your character, it only makes sense for them to be good at hiding, maybe good at escaping. Being completely worse at everything just doesn't make sense.

If you really don't want your character to be have anything that they're really skilled at, ok, so be it. But don't give them extra maluses on top of that.

Yeah, but characters in forum games are good at all kinds of things they really wouldn't be able to do normally.  They have special abilities, it's just not usually thought of that way.

Some examples of things that can be done simply because of necessary and fun game conventions:

You can, for instance, try to operate machinery you've never done before, or even seen before, and you have a chance of succeeding, even when a real person probably wouldn't.  This applies to a great many things.  Nobody is going to make a masterful painting or cook a legendary meal, but a game character with no skill is generally going to be perfectly capable of doing so, even if the character doesn't do so reliably.

Almost certainly, certain biological functions will be ignored, as will things like living conditions and lifestyle expenses.  This is done because those things are boring, but it's a serious concern to a great many real people.

Same with other things.  You aren't (usually) going to spawn with career obligations, favors owed, or any of the deep roots that people can draw strength from or deal with.  Game characters have a huge degree of freedom to go places, to do things, and to make decisions that none of us will ever have.  This happens even without any abilities as such.

So no character is 'worse at everything'.  Unless you are in a situation where not having a bonus in something specific is an incredible hinderance, such as no defensive powers in Jeoathica, I don't really see it as necessary.

That leads to the next thing.  I still should have something that helps define a character, particular with a thin backstory like that one, both to myself and the GM.  That's usually done by producing or listing bonuses, but it can just as well be done with appropriate weaknesses.  Can a character who is thoroughly unsuited for physical confrontations while being physically frail be used as a defining term?  Sure is!  It means he'll actively avoid such confrontuations when encountering them, preferring to talk his way out of problems and avoid people who are particularly good at attacking his weakness.  There are many characters like this in fiction, both heroic and villaneous, and there's room for one more.

If you insist on it, though, you can remove those penalties.  Someone doesn't need to be physically weak to want to avoid physical confrontations, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8