Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive  (Read 11368 times)

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 04:37:07 pm »

PTW

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 05:05:02 pm »

Quote from: Voteslime
[Moderate]Rozers: (3) TricMagic, DGR, TFF
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (1) Taricus
While not a bad idea, Rozers don't seems like a good scout unit to me. Definitely an idea for the next few turns at the very least.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 05:21:23 pm »

[Moderate]Rozers: (3) TricMagic, DGR, TFF
While not a bad idea, Rozers don't seems like a good scout unit to me. Definitely an idea for the next few turns at the very least.
They aren't scouts in the first place. And the rest of our forces can't really move quickly. Rozers will build the shelters, encampments, fortifications. All against the environment. Locusts seem like an attacking unit more than a scouting one, for all they can perform a scout role. Doesn't help the grubs and other forces against death via environment though. Spreading too thin early on can also be considered an issue... Rozers are a good unit for the long haul in protecting us from the acid, the fire, and the robots, and as suggested, a possible evo into giant tunneling worms to aid travel and give us a heavy hitter.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 05:47:06 pm »

[Moderate]Rozers: (2) TricMagic, TFF
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (2) Taricus, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 06:01:22 pm »

[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (2) Taricus, DGR
[Will check the difficulty if needed]Noble Crab: (1) Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 06:10:30 pm »

[Will check the difficulty if needed]Noble Crab: (2) Rockeater, DGR
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 02:53:55 am »

[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (2) Taricus, 10ebbor10

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 05:37:47 am »

[Moderate]Rozers: (3) TricMagic, TFF, Talion

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2021, 10:09:55 am »

In the interests of convincing a vote, I bring to you our opponent, the Environment. And difficulty modifiers. As I know, mine is moderate, the other two are moderate-hard. Modifiers mean some traits may not work as well or be vestigial, or have a low evo rate. For Locusts trying to move straight to a ranged attack on a scout for example.

In the Misty Ravine, acid rain and runnoff are a thing. Rozers can make caves, Crabs can protect nearby units. In case of needing to cross, grubs can just climb down, crabs will have difficulty following. Rozers can just build tunnels for such forces, digging a slope down. As our main opponent is the environment, both serve a purpose.

The the Desert of Glass. This place has explosions sometimes. Crabs are meant to inhibit explosive reactions. Rozers build dens that are protected. Crabs have the edge for travel, Dozers have the edge for shelter. One thing to note is Energy, explosions are instant, so Crabs will need to keep it going all throughout, and won't get much in the way of rest. Rozers allow resting places.. The two definitely complement each other for this terrain, as in the Misty Ravine.

The Shattered Badlands. Nothing for the crabs to protect from, other than machines coming to life and crushing our grubs by the hundreds. Here, Rozers have an undenable advantage, as underground burrows out of sight will help survival. However an issue comes to fore, sight. In this regard, neither have an advantage, and it actually goes to the Locusts, who can find paths through the Misty Ravine and act as forward scouts.

Now we move to the next areas. The Bog is toxic vapors, Crabs have an advantage over all others for survival.
The lava rivers are hot, Locusts have the advantage here. But Rozers have revisions to their building ability available. 2 revision per turn means we can spare one for biological heatproofing of their construction.
The Glowing Crater is a case of none of the three having advantage, other than the Rozers able to build underground shelters where gravity shifting won't matter.

The Parasitc Forest. Locusts are out of contention here. Crabs and Rozers are in. Mostly through use of revisions.
The Dried Seabed. Once again, Crabs and Rozers. Crabs with cool gas, and Rozers for building underground warrens.
The Howling Crevasses. Locusts are dead, and require evo or revisions. Crabs aren't really suited for it, but evos will be useful for heavy defensive hitters. Rozers can build shelters. Though one can argue a lack of defense(though they do have chitin production for that) on Rozers, Rozers also have a evo lined up, a tunneling worm of great size which can help with travel safe from above, and swallow foes from below.

Of note, a Psionic Core for our grubs as a revision, to grant them about 6 foot radius of sight though feel. This would allow further children to have it developed further, the crabs for example. We may also develop the hive mind further through an offshoot evolutions. I am particularly interested in the Unforgotten as such a path as overseers.

So this is my argument for Rozers first. They don't need sight to build, and will be useful in every area. They also are a good starting point for supporter evolutions. No matter what we decide to revise for the Grubs, they are unaffected by the change, where the others will likely have an easier time with a psionic core. Any that evo from the Rozers can acquire benefits from the improvements to the grub even if the Rozers didn't have it.

And to the locusts, I would suggest removing the attack option and focusing on the actual role of flying scout for the first evo. I still think Rozers are the best first starter though, followed by crabs. We can grab scouts next to fulfill a trinity of shelter, offense/defense, and scouting. Survival is most important.

I am also really interested in the Rozer's + form it will get. It may develop some form of manipulation on it's own. Or some advantage when it comes to building.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2021, 10:16:49 am »

Fair enough argument
[Moderate]Rozers: (4) TricMagic, TFF, Talion, Rockeater
[Will check the difficulty if needed]Noble Crab: (1) DGR
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2021, 12:24:34 pm »

Yeah, that's fair enough.

[Moderate]Rozers: (5) TricMagic, TFF, Talion, Rockeater, T2E
[Will check the difficulty if needed]Noble Crab: (1) DGR
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2021, 02:05:29 pm »

Design Phase 1 - Omega

Rozer
[Efficacy: 8] (You're going to be that team, aren't you?)
-Evolution Chance: 35%
 -Available Evolutions:
 -- Rozer+ 100%
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
 - Description: On the surface, the Rozer looks much like the grub that it emerges from. It is approximately a meter in length, fleshy-fleshy, and with only a hint of ribbing to its body to indicate 'legs'. However, the Rozer is much more than an ordinary grub. Each body segment of the Rozer contains a ring of specialized pores, capable of secreting a thick mucus that hardens readily on contact with the hair to form a strong, stiff, but modestly flexible binding agent. At the hind end of the grub are several modified cuticles from which grow rectangular sheets of chitin, and, at need, the Rozer can contort its body and gnaw off a section of chitin to use as building materials or impromptu armor. Their jaws and digestive tract have been considerably more developed as well, and while 'anything' would be an overstatement, a combination of enzymes, grinding gastric muscles, and good old fashioned stomach acids do enable the Rozer to chew through and break down (if not digest) many materials.

This being said, the Rozer is still very stupid. Instinctive programming allows it to dig tunnels and effectively craft shelters against the elements, but, while it has the functionality, it lacks the dexterity, senses, and brainpower to apply more armor to friendlies than a smattering of random chitin plates. The tunnels it forms, likewise, are made slowly - as the material as to be excreted somewhere. While a soft material like earth or sand can be pushed aside and then covered in mucus to create a tunnel, Rozer tunnels through harder or dense materials are self-sealing, albeit much easier to dig through.

Rozer+
-Evolution Chance: NaN
 -Mutagenic Potential 3
 - Description: An enormous Rozer, approximately twice as large in every dimension and eight times as heavy, the Rozer+ also features a tiny set of pedipalps beneath its mouth that provide assistance with gripping chitin shapes while they're being gnawed into the correct configuration - essential as the sheets it produces are considerably heavier. The Rozer+ is now more intelligent than its kin, but its large size and rubbery resilience make it an ideal final piece in large structures in which many, many smaller creatures can shelter.

It is now the revision phase. You have 2 Revisions.

TURNTURNTURN
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2021, 02:31:38 pm »

Grub Revision: Psionic Sight

Through the development of a small Psionic Core, the Grub gains access to the ability to feel it's surrounds, in about a 6 foot radius. It doesn't actually do anything else. Doesn't make them smarter or give them telepathy, just psionic sight that doesn't care for things like light or obstacles. What is the big thing for it is that this will translate into future children easily, and set up the start of psionic powers such as a hivemind for overseers of the idiotic.

Grub Revision: Improve Evolution
Though an advancement in digestion, the grub gains even more energy and nutrition from what it eats, improving their survival, and hence evolution rate.

Grub Revision: Brain Ganglia
A mutation focused on a decentralized Ganglia with nodes through it's body, it sets up the production of higher thinking. For the Grubs, this translates to an easier time parsing data and following an order from the Queen and any hivemind-users in the future.

Quote from: Grub Box
Psionic Sight: (1) TricMagic
Improve Evolution: ()
Brain Ganglia: (1) TricMagic

Sight and evolution improvement. And the core can be the cornerstone of hivemind development.

It's been pointed out we don't need to worry as much about mutagens, since it is possible to get more through mutations from flubbed evolutions. We can also reduce their occurrence rate if we don't want to continue down that child line.

So in the interest of not spreading things out so they are less effective, a brain to go with the sense. Better understanding of orders and surroundings. They don't need limbs right now, and we can do an Evo boost next turn. Sure it's not 2 evo boost revisions, but legs and sight wouldn't be either. And in that case, rather go with wings and sight. Which still leaves a lack of brain.

[edit note, changed listening to following, as listen is redundant and follow is correct here.]
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 06:00:43 pm by TricMagic »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2021, 05:57:12 pm »

Psionic Sight: (2) TricMagic, Chaotick21
Brain Ganglia: (2) TricMagic, Chaotick21

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2021, 07:42:46 pm »

Psionic Sight: (3) TricMagic, Chaotick21, T2E
Brain Ganglia: (3) TricMagic, Chaotick21, T2E
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13