Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive  (Read 11366 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mutagenesis Team Thread | Omega Hive
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2021, 03:48:24 pm »

Quote from: ThoughtSlime
Locust: (1) Taricus
Kovask: (0)
[High-Moderate to Hard]Barrier Crab: (0)
[Moderate] Medusa (2) 10ebbor10, TFF
[Original was Moderate]Noble crab(Tric's version) (2) DGR, TricMagic

I suppose Barrier Crab will have to be an evolution of Noble Crab, only control of it's own gases.

Also to the transport idea. Rozer Evo, the Wyrm. Giant worm that has the Rozer slime traits and can properly mix what it eat to form stable tunnels of hardened material.

Wyrm
The Wyrm, an evolution of the Rozer, is about 12 meters across and 23 meters long. It's gaping maw swallows earth and other materials, breaks them down, mixes the result with it's slime secretion, and uses that to stabilize the tunnels it digs by exerting it through it's pores. In cases it eats something it can't digest immediately, it has gravel sacks to grind down the material with other such materials to where it can be mixed, which also aids in digestion. Of note is the Node/Ganglia spread through the frontal portions of it's body, with sub-nodes locating along it's length. This allows it movement and brainpower, and the nodes are quite a bit larger. The primary is located somewhere near the middle of the back, while a larger Pisonic Core rests nearby. The Wyrm focuses it's psionic feel on detecting tremors, allowing it to locate targets from far below and surge to swallow them whole with it's great strength parting the earth. It can also detect allies via the queen of the hive and tag them as friendly. It's skin is leathery and rough, suited to moving through the tunneling process unharmed. If one were to describe the evolutionary process this Wyrm went through, it is a vastly enlarged Grub with the Rozer's aspects focused upon tunneling.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:03:57 pm by TricMagic »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2021, 07:48:29 pm »

Locust: (2) Taricus, Flabort
Kovask: (0)
[Original was Moderate]Noble crab(Tric's version) (2) DGR, TricMagic
I say the best zerg strat is mutalisk rush. I am probably behind on the meta, it's been a long while since the shoutcaster I used to watch posted anything.

Anyways, I have a proposition for a map, but wanted to run it by you guys before submitting it to the main thread. Because it's not a flat image. And because I imagined it taking up the whole planet.

Edit: Oops, misnamed the Omega hive as Beta hive in video. Gonna fix and reupload.

Last edit: Smaller video size, color-corrected team pins to match discord colors, and a slightly different angle that doesn't favor the Alpha hive as much.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 08:24:59 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2021, 09:25:47 pm »

Each player can at least post a map for the contest, so no issue.

Note that focused designs are an issue. And the Locust is a scout when priority is currently survival. The Noble Crab as it is will give us protection from fire, chemical reactions, and poison gas to a degree. Mostly through the use of a single gas that is made to be breathable.

The locust you are voting for, in no complex terms, is idiotic. And an idiot. There isn't any adaptation to the proposal that gives it the ancestor-given right to use things from the grub without difficulty, it has no brain. Nor does it possess a psionic core for an early warning system. It relies on light, and offers no protection from gases, toxins, or explosions. All things the Noble Crab means to address. Save the scouts for next turn I say.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 05:06:47 am »

I say the best zerg strat is mutalisk rush. I am probably behind on the meta, it's been a long while since the shoutcaster I used to watch posted anything.

I was never any good, but you're making me want to play Starcraft (either) again.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 06:47:36 am »

Each player can at least post a map for the contest, so no issue.
OK, sounds good.

Note that focused designs are an issue. And the Locust is a scout when priority is currently survival. The Noble Crab as it is will give us protection from fire, chemical reactions, and poison gas to a degree. Mostly through the use of a single gas that is made to be breathable.
See, survival is good, but not really that big an issue from where I'm sitting. I see "At the end of each combat phase, all troops are wiped from the map. No units are retained at any node" in the rules. That said, being more prepared for the environment is a good thing - and I see flight as the answer to all environments. Vibrations setting off long dead machines? Keep off the ground. Toxic metals in the ground? Keep off the ground. The ground is made of plastic that's on fire? Keep off the ground.

Further, I see the Locust as not just a scout, but the basis for a more powerful flying unit.

The locust you are voting for, in no complex terms, is idiotic. And an idiot. There isn't any adaptation to the proposal that gives it the ancestor-given right to use things from the grub without difficulty, it has no brain. Nor does it possess a psionic core for an early warning system. It relies on light, and offers no protection from gases, toxins, or explosions. All things the Noble Crab means to address. Save the scouts for next turn I say.
I'll give you that the locust was proposed before the psychic revision, so doesn't mention it in the design, but according to Draignean "while the upgrades will be default going forwards, they are not retroactively added", meaning that anything evolving from a grub now will get the psionic core, but only the drozer does not. So even though the current locust design doesn't mention it, it will have psionics. That said, I will say that as written, the locust isn't perfect.

But, I don't see how the noble crab can possibly help in the shattered badlands. Plus breathable gas does not imply healthy gas - carbon dioxide is breathable and helium is breathable, but what humans need to survive is oxygen; they would asphyxiate with only helium, just as the noble crab would while trapped in a tunnel in the desert of mirrors or the misty ravine. In fact, it will speed up the asphyxiation of it's fellow organisms, even if it does put out fires. Because healthy breathing is basically consuming oxygen, which is basically slowly slowly burning to produce energy, and noble gasses prevent burning, and thus prevent healthy breathing.

I'd say I prefer the Medusa over the Noble Crab. I'd also say, I'd like to see a design that uses it's psionics to fly, that way less wingbeats, and thus less vibrations. Also serves as a much better scout, as it can "see" much further than a grub, but is also more survivable as it's psionic based flight lets it predict and dodge incoming attacks, avoid explosions, and fly above ground based threats. I'd write it up but I'm getting ready for work.
The Cyan Menace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2021, 08:28:39 am »

Troops are wiped from the map, yeah. But Rozers are the basebuilers, and they don't fly.(yet)

I'm not so sure on things being added automatically instead of the evo occurring as the design says. And would rather not take the chance when mentioning it doesn't really add difficulty.

Quote from: DraigneanToday at 12:09 AM
Ignoring it in evo(in that it is not even mentioned) reverts you to the previous quota.

This is not the case. You do not have to mention every single passive buff you have ever gained when you evolve.

Well, fine I guess.

To note, the Kovask is Simple, despite using Psionics to replace the need for eyes and having near 360 vision due to it's body's field. Light hits the field and  is translated to sight of what is in that direction, just like normal eyes. Pretty nifty, and even low rolls don't hurt too much. Still want the medusa/noble crab for survival this turn though.

Adding the tags. The main issue with your scout being higher difficulty is the chances of things turning out vestigial. Bad eyesight, slow in the air, mediocre ranged attack. The Kovask has wings and psionics for sight like eyes. A revision can add a ranged attack later. The Locust would need to roll well, as modifiers only change the end result, not the roll itself.

[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (2) Taricus, Flabort
[Simple]Kovask: (0)
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Noble crab(Tric's version) (2) DGR, TricMagic

My main argument of Scout Next Turn still stands though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:24:45 am by TricMagic »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2021, 10:48:06 am »

[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (2) Taricus, Flabort
[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Noble crab(Tric's version) (3) DGR, TricMagic, Maxim

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2021, 12:24:38 pm »

Back from work. I see the tie's broken, albeit for the Crab. I guess our grubs are going to suffocate in a cloud of noble gasses...

No matter. If a design is able to go through at all, that's fine. I do see the Kovask on a re-read is close to what I'd like, but it's not exact, either.

So, I'll propose one more design now, even knowing we're close to the deadline.

Quote from: Grasshopper
A grub crawls around in it's nest, gathering energy. A spike of psionic energy is experienced, and the grub seizes up and curls into a ball. It's outer skins split open, molting away as a pair of wings break out, buzzing at first then settling to a flutter as blood is pumped through, hardening them into large gliding wings. The new species kicked off it's old skin with six segmented legs, it's brain ganglia continuing to work overtime and swell, becoming capable of more independent but specialized thought patterns throughout the body - capable still of taking over for destroyed nodes, but increasing the number needed to continue functioning. It's psionic power continues spiking as it stretches it's freed limbs, and makes an experimental step. It's psychic aura strengthens, not just probing the area around it, but pushing against the air beneath it and producing more lift than the wings could produce on their own. It finds the minds of nearby grubs, and starts directing them, informing them of nearby unseen obstacles. The Grasshopper lifts itself out of the cavernous hive, flying into the open sky, and letting it's wings take over from it's mind as it glides well above the rocky surface below.

A warning is sensed. Another Grasshopper nearby has sensed an ancient machine waking up, and targeting the newly molted one. One of it's brains focuses on detecting what armaments' the machine has, and a couple others push the Beacon sideways with a gust of wind, while others lift it's wings to put it into a dive. A hail of bullets whizzes through the air where the Beacon would have been, but a missile follows those up, and turns in the air to follow. The Grasshopper feels this, and strains to lift itself back up while taking evasive action in another direction. Still the missile follows. Desperate, and about to die, the Grasshopper creates one more gust of wind, shoving itself closer to the missile, but away from a crowd of Grubs on the ground nearby, causing the missile to detonate and killing the Grasshopper, but rescuing the grubs underneath.

[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (1) Taricus
[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (1) Flabort
The Cyan Menace

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2021, 12:29:24 pm »

The main point is beathable, and GM has cottoned on. I can add parenthesis to it if you like? Also hello grasshopper, how is your day?

Hmm, where did that difficulty check come from?

Noble Crab already has a bunch of parathensis, what's one more for clarification?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:32:22 pm by TricMagic »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2021, 01:58:15 pm »

[Moderate-Moderate hard.]Locust: (0)
[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (2) Flabort, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2021, 02:33:56 pm »

I'll note I already have revision ideas for the crab.

Aerokinesis
Through the addition of psionic energy to the gas it produces, the Noble Crab gains awareness over it. With an upgrade to their psionics, they can use these markers to control the gas as they will. From solidifying it to protect from rain and pushing out other gases from it, to smotering fires they come across and spinning their gas to knock ranged attacks away. These markers also allow it to see beyond it's normal range by what the gas presses against, though if it gets too far control may be lost.

Cryokinesis
Through refining their gases yet further, it becomes possible to deposition or condense it, granting control over ice and water formed from these gases. In addition, the Noble Crab's kinesis has reached the point it can shut down endothermic reactions of what this power comes into contact with. That ability to shut down endothermic reactions is in fact the focus of this evolution. As before however, if the material gets too far, the markers may be lost, but ice holds them very well. It should be noted that while ice can be broken back into water, this new ability does not allow one to change it back a state.

Thermokinesis
The total control over temperature and related systems. The Noble Crab has refined it's psionic ability to the point where it can now heat gases and start endothermic reactions. Combined with it's other abilities, it has been modified into Thermokinesis. It can heat it's gas to the point it turns into plasma and wield these arcs to burn away other things, and return ice and water back to it's gas. Constant shifts will cause the markers to degrade, and getting too far with the controlled material will cause it to lose thee markers, but for ice.

Evolution: Noble Squid
[This is the joke on discord, but leaning into control of temperature could make the Evo work. Thermokinesis can be done in that creature's evolution if we don't have enough revisions.]

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2021, 03:03:11 pm »

[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (3) Flabort, Taricus, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2021, 04:51:15 pm »

Revision: Hovering
Through the addition of a psionic resonance into the epidermis layer, psionically connected to the grubs core, the grub itself gains the ability to exert telekinetic force near it's body. This can be used to lift themselves to hover along the ground, as well acceleration over the ground the hover above. Make no mistake, it isn't any better than the walking some creatures perform, but a grub can reach speeds as high as a runner by exerting force downward to keep them lifted, and using that to slide by pushing themselves. Issue is a bit obvious though, stopping and speeding up is both slow, and crashing tends to rip a grub apart on impact due to a lack of chitin to take the grinding blow. It's havering though, and decent for moving at walking speed, which is much faster than crawling. Just don't expect them to cross any ravines if there is nothing beneath them, or for such a thing to actually hurt an enemy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2021, 11:39:19 pm »

[Moderate] Medusa (3) 10ebbor10, TFF, Doomblade
[Moderate Simple to Moderate] Grasshopper: (3) Flabort, Taricus, Rockeater
[/quote]
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2021, 12:30:01 am »

Hive Guard: Shaped in the image of some of the rotting battle machines of the badlands, the Hive Guard is a powerful Psionic and melee unit. Large and Bipedal it has hands with claws to rip and tear and kill all who oppose it. It is equipped with a single large eye surrounded by a compound eye arrangement, granting it both long range vision and incredible coverage. It possesses advanced intelligence, able to use crude tools like large rocks to deal with problems. By throwing the rock. It has a few notable psionic abilities, first is the standard psionic sight, and a form of psychokinesis, which lets it massively enhance its strength, and thus speed, in short bursts of up to a minute.
Electrokinetic upgrade: A form of electrokinesis, which generates a massive "False" positive electrical charge in an area, creating a concentration of electrons which gather in the area to try and even out the charge, this lets it generate a form of artificial lightning, though it is not as strong as the real thing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:40:43 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13