Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 110714 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)
« Reply #1800 on: January 12, 2021, 10:52:16 pm »

But instead I hit the framer's frame.  Damn it.  Sorry, town; I was too excited for a toofer.
Our framing power was actually off the charts. Torir had an auto called 'Shifted During Delivery' which could be used to choose a player once per night and choose what alignment they inspected as until the choice was changed. So naturally we abused Pizza Party to dupe it. Framing IcyTea worked out way too well for us.

If I can find the concentration and focus to play more, I need to do a less madhouse game first.  But I just love signing up for BYORs and already know what I'm submitting for BYOR 16...
Less madhouse game? Well I'm running Mostly Vanilla Mafia 2...

Heh, I do love these chaotic games though. I've got so many ideas for what to submit for BYOR 16. The Return Of Solid Snake's Fantastic Thighs, Redux.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: January 12, 2021, 10:55:54 pm »

I guess framing someone who had claimed mason was a bit of an obvious choice.  If Icy hadn't mentioned he gave up his Leave Comment I would have inspected 4mask instead.  Oh, well.

And I just hopped in it, sure, let's go.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: January 12, 2021, 11:06:20 pm »

One particular auto in my fries role was much more potent than the other parts of it - Off Brand, which let me create a totally fake role that would be used for any role inspection actions.

I submitted this.

Use my Off-Brand auto ability to change my role inspection information to:

Emperor Ronald McDonald (role name)
11 (shenanigans level)
Cult (alignment)
(Auto): Infohazard:

It's too late, he sees you. Any Town player who learns information from the Infohazard auto has a 10% chance of joining your alignment and win condition per Phase. This includes if it's shared in private chats or the game thread, but does not count if you or a player with your alignment shares the information. This effect continues to persist after your death. A player with Fries has the chance of conversion per Phase increased by 10%.
(Auto): Hidden Form: At any time prior to your death, you may send the mod a PM with a false role in it, for the price of 2 Fries. You will flip as this role when you die.
(Auto) Three Free Fries: You have 3 Fries that you can hand out. You gain 1 Fries at the beginning of each Day Phase.
(Any) Drive-Thru [target (xAny)]: You drive some Fries to the target(s). If this would target more targets than Fries you have, you distribute them randomly.
(Night) Dominion [target]: Choose any number of other players that have Fries. They all target your target tonight. If your target would die tonight, they are revived and gain your alignment and win condition, and are told your identity and role. Additionally their vote no longer counts permanently and yours counts an additional time for the next two Days.
(1-Shot, Auto): REDACTED: [REDACTED]
(4-Shot, Any): REDACTED: [REDACTED]

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:05 pm »

Truly the stuff of nightmares
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: January 12, 2021, 11:09:38 pm »

But seriously, I'd piss my pants if I discovered that clown face in game.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: January 12, 2021, 11:14:28 pm »

For completion's sake here is Soul Chat.

Because Juicebox died immediately in essence it's just an early Dead Chat for myself to yell at the wall.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: January 12, 2021, 11:15:48 pm »

As far as I know, nobody ever role inspected me, so nobody got exposed to the fake paranoia-inducing Infohazard auto. Thankfully.

Also, when I submitted my initial role, each section of it contained a link. Most were Wikipedia links. Some went to the Mafiakart Racing older game. One went to a Youtube video of drumming to a Ronald McDonald meme. One went to... the Speedwagon Foundation page on the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure wiki.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: January 12, 2021, 11:23:12 pm »

The Return Of Solid Snake's Fantastic Thighs, Redux.

oh my, the memories, goodness gracious . . .

Yeah, I already decided my next BYOR role too. LOL.

We should probably remember that Old B12 had some miserable games in it, too. Pandar's uPick and NSBM2 had WoTing (uPick) and dead air (NSBM2). Not all of Old Bay -- especially the ranking system -- was good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: January 12, 2021, 11:27:55 pm »

Gotta learn from the mistakes somehow.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: January 12, 2021, 11:32:42 pm »

Having NQT die instead of Nirur on Night 2 was pretty bad dude...otherwise I think everything else was handled well moderation wise.

The end of Day 1 was amazingly fast paced and the wildest thing I've seen in mafia in awhile. That's my biggest compliment. I was on an emotional rollercoaster the entire time as my life flickered before me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: January 12, 2021, 11:34:19 pm »

Pandar's uPick
Imagine running a game with 19 players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: January 12, 2021, 11:36:35 pm »

Having NQT die instead of Nirur on Night 2 was pretty bad dude...otherwise I think everything else was handled well moderation wise.

The end of Day 1 was amazingly fast paced and the wildest thing I've seen in mafia in awhile. That's my biggest compliment. I was on an emotional rollercoaster the entire time as my life flickered before me.
Tell me about it. I literally felt awful because I had the action copied directly and then DELETED IT FROM THE ACTION LOG??? WHY? That's why this is really just a Moderator Loss, if anything. I can't believe I did that.

I actually really loved the fast-paced Day 1 end, and Mamobo was key to that, as well! I think that if I can improve it a bunch more, we could get a few more of those.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: January 12, 2021, 11:47:43 pm »

New sigtext acquired, cause gotta advertise the mafia subforum somehow.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: January 13, 2021, 01:29:36 am »

I wish I had a better showing this game. Thanks for hosting, webadict.

I had grand plans about posturing myself in the center of the town using my ability to post at night and having all my actions publicly confirmed and essentially repeat what I did in BP3 but the grand plans never really got started since I couldn't keep up with this game. Like seriously what the hell did they put in the water in the subforum while I was gone to give everybody so much energy.

ToonyMan was a terrible Day 1 lynch and it annoyed me enough to speak up about it even though I was scum. When the counterwagon started building up on Leafsnail I had a moment of regret about doing that.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #1814 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:21 am »

For the record, here are the moments where I pretty much locked my lynch choices.

I don't know how masons are classified in Webadict's games.
Why would it be any different? It's not webadict classifying anything, it's me and 4maskwolf looking at our alignment and ability to talk to each other and saying "we're masons."

Or do you suspect there's more to BYOR masons than the standard variety? Of course there is, but asking for the details of that would be what I'd call rolefishing.
I just couldn't think of a reason why town would ever ask the GM for a definition on one of a player's words, that the player had already defined. Scum, however, get to change the subject to a distracting minutia, and have a chance of getting the town to volunteer information in trying to explain themselves further. ToonyMan later explained that this was to ascertain the mason claim as true, which made to me about as much as sense as this:
Alice: "I claim to have turned the sky green."
Bob: "Moderator! What colour is the sky usually?"
Alice: "Why does that matter? It's green now."
Bob: "I just want to be sure."
While there is cleverness in questioning the unspoken background behind the claim, it does nothing to address the claim itself. In this example, a truth-seeking player should be asking "what colour is the sky now?", a specific case rather than the general. I'll also admit that at the time of the discussion, it felt to me even worse than it was:
Alice: "I claim to have turned the sky green."
Bob: "Moderator! What is green?"

IcyTea:
Anyway, I'm 99% sure that flip is fake and we'll see the real of the flip whenever IcyTea dies.
Death millers are a bastard mechanic. In a non-bastard game, roleflips never contain false information (though parts may be obscured, as with Toony's first flip).

Sure, but we've already seen a flip-hiding role out of Juicebox.   4mask having a fake flip that reveals as true when you die is totally within the bounds of plausibility.
Calling the mod a bastard instead of suspecting one of the standard investigation-screwing abilities is beyond me. The power of masons is to be able to confirm each other, especially in death, so going straight for a lynch on the other when one gets daykilled is just not something I can ever see town doing. Toaster hadn't played particularly offensively before this, and didn't develop this point afterwards (going on the self-presevation), so it seemed further like a case to have the town waste the lynch.
There was also the contradiction in including in a case the point that 4mask's role had nothing about masons, even though he claimed to have seen the ability which created the masonry:
Everything I've done of interest I've claimed; I used the rolecop on IcyTea with the modifier to pick up his alignment.  I saw the ability that makes him a mason and the rolename that makes him the second hydra head (specifically stating that 4mask was the hydra.)
I mean, it's pretty simple.  Look at what is missing; anything referencing the IcyTea-4mask connection in 4mask's "flip."  Do you really find it plausible that all of that information is in IcyTea's role?
You seem to be in a superposition of believing the description of the ability I showed, and not believing it. Quantum bad faith?

To be honest, I don't think these would have been terrible cases in a less tiresome game, but looking at them now, I was lacking empathy to how people were complaining about the game being difficult to read (since I was on vacation and spent literal hours on keeping up with the game). My biggest mistake was that I assumed malice where there was exhaustion.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122