Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 110671 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)
« Reply #1785 on: January 12, 2021, 09:24:26 pm »

Can you give some examples of what Leave Comments could have done? I'm a little sad that they didn't get used.
The Comments were meant to give small power boosts. Leafsnail received a small Tech from the only Comment that got used. However, had more players used a similar comment, it could've been a replacement ability. Super versatile, but not very powerful, basically.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: January 12, 2021, 09:26:41 pm »

Fun fact: Speedwagon + Pizza Party abuse would have made it possible to transfer Parallel Double onto Torir, and then duplicate it via Speedwagon multi-targeting, to give us multiple instances of it. If the game lasted longer, we could have had a really big Mafia team win.

Another fun fact: we actually worked out one way to bypass Dolores' untargetability effect. 'Choose a player' effects and 'target a player' effects are distinct, so Jim's Self-Destruct could have blown them up.

Oh, and Leafsnail was the one to daykill 4maskwolf.

The Comments were meant to give small power boosts. Leafsnail received a small Tech from the only Comment that got used. However, had more players used a similar comment, it could've been a replacement ability. Super versatile, but not very powerful, basically.
Leafsnail making himself the lynch target for that last Day by using his Blaster won us the game, really.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #1787 on: January 12, 2021, 09:42:59 pm »

Wow, it's over. Finally. I was honestly burnt out at the end and knew it was over when Vector was killed. But I had fun at the beginning.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 12, 2021, 09:47:32 pm »

2. People hated my walls-of-texts. Clearly they didn't work, but I don't know what else I'm supposed to do? I was town, and poorly made arguments were being thrown against me. I had to defend myself or else there'd be a mislynch. What were the flaws in my arguments against Nirur Torir?
I think your problem was that by playing my game you gave me more ammo.
I have two game modes: Lurking and poke at low-hanging fruit, or flooding the airwaves with meaningless nonsense in an attempt to look busy, because Good Townies are busy and people will complain about me being a scummy lurker if I lurk.

You might have been able to disarm me by asking "Why exactly do you think I'm scum?"
Me responding with "You're defending yourself with WIFOM, so you must be scum," would have exposed the weakness in my attacks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 12, 2021, 09:52:09 pm »

Reading the deadchat, I find out that I am one of the most hated players here once again.

We thought you were an SK >_< I swear to god, I would have bet money. Y'know . . . like booing the bad guy . . . Deadchat turned into Dead Townie Vetchat pretty quick and we got salty.

But more seriously, if I was going to make some pointers:

1. Maybe be a little bit more judicious about the kills. I don't actually mean your shooting me to be clear, although that wasn't my favorite, but as I think a couple of other people mentioned, claiming vig without it being necessary to do so is one of the "old chestnut" scum or SK cover stories (kind of like self-voting early D1 as a jester. The "textbook" town answer is typically "shoot them, it's not worth the WIFOM.").

2. You did rely a lot on defending yourself with "scum wouldn't do this," which generally isn't a good defense unless you have some really big, compelling evidence in your corner. As an SK vigilante, you're scum's worst nightmare. But you really, really need to shoot scum, not town. Town will (usually, cough cough) take care of inoculating itself against townies who aren't playing well.

I feel playing vig is a lot like playing a cop. Your role is still mostly to be a good townie and try to find scum. The only difference is that you can inspect/shoot to confirm your suspicions. Any time when you're mostly focused on defense, though, is a time when you aren't focused on hunting. The best way to protect yourself from being lynched is giving town scum to lynch.

3. Note that although you definitely need to work on being a little bit more efficient, all of my ranting about WoTing wasn't specifically about you. It was about literally everyone who wrote a WoT and wasn't trying to hang someone with it. But yes: let's work on the WoTing 2021

3.' This will only come with experience, but I think that working on evaluating the strength of the cases other players have on you will help a lot. If you flinch at a light hit meant to evaluate your defenses, you look like scum every time. But if you try to downplay a strong case as being nothing but hot air, you also look like scum. Adjusting your defense to the strength of the attack is a key point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: January 12, 2021, 10:04:19 pm »

The sheer size of this beast is noteworthy. We had a Day 1 that was over 60 pages long. Game ended at over 100 pages. Scumchat had over 666 posts. There's got to be some good data on 'how to Day' buried in here somewhere.

I feel like I acted almost like the mafia-team's leader, in this game. Honestly feel kinda proud of my performance for once. I was actually wrong about me being bad at the day game in my Day 1 comment - I'm just mediocre at it, but that's way better than I was before, and I made people think I was town core for long enough to avoid being a target and make a difference.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:38 pm »

To be critical, I'm not happy with this game at all and everybody should be ashamed of themselves.

Nobody read anybody's posts because they were too busy talking to themselves and patting themselves on the back about how right they were. Due to the sheer volume of words some players were writing, nobody wanted to go back and re-read through the thread (which I did many many times while dead) to see and rethink other player's behavior after somebody flipped or CONFIRM FACTS. Nope just post post post post go go go go!!

Mafia threw up Walls of Text at each other, why? Why make everybody suffer? It wasn't even like town or mafia played good. Town either killed or got themselves killed for bad reasons. Mafia was obvious after Day 2. Maybe I'll do a player analysis for everybody, but honestly just read the Dead Chat if you want to see how I feel.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 12, 2021, 10:25:41 pm »

Thought this might give you guys a laugh (though I doubt Toony will like it). This is what I sent Web during the day 3 night.

Spoiler: My night action (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: But wait! (click to show/hide)

The worst part is that if I actually stuck to my convoluted plan, I would have shot Nirur and actually saved us! Maybe...
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 12, 2021, 10:27:20 pm »

... I'm gonna be honest heydude...

I never read that PM.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 12, 2021, 10:28:40 pm »

Thankfully Trickmagic survived and it was a non-issue.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 12, 2021, 10:31:09 pm »

Wuba! Wuba! Tell everyone about my absurd Off Brand role submission!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 12, 2021, 10:39:09 pm »

@Heydude:
As the guy who thought for sure 99% you could not be mafia (until the convert anyway), your town vig games seriously needs some work. I couldn't believe you were town after those kills you performed. Especially on Day 3, you were behaving just like a SK during Day 3.

Moving back a bit:
Granted killing Juicebox was probably for the best, but that was lucky. Your best decision was by far shooting Nirur, even if it was redirected to obvious town NQT. The thing is, as a town vig you shouldn't shoot unless you're absolutely sure or have no choice such as it being mylo and you lynch town.

Instead it looked like to me you were killing wildly, with your best interests being to stay alive and reducing the numbers down to just yourself, which is exactly how a SK should play it. The problem is that you never hit mafia once so at some point the mafia are going to want to kill you after all your hard work.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 12, 2021, 10:39:38 pm »

I was less than helpful as co-mod, but I’m also not really sure what to do about it either.

webadict did a boatload of stuff though, brought a lot of life back to the sub-forum. Props, my dude.

Now go to sleep for a week.

I agree with Toony though. I’m not sure if it was the sheer volume of stuff people were posting, but it didn’t seem like people were paying that much attention after a while.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 12, 2021, 10:44:04 pm »

I was less than helpful as co-mod, but I’m also not really sure what to do about it either.
Shame those fun moderator roles never came into play much, but there wasn't much of any way for the players to know about them anyways, so...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: January 12, 2021, 10:48:01 pm »

Oh lordy I tried to read the mafia abilities and my eyes crossed.  I'm impressed with you Web that you can even put this all together.  Thank you!

D1 I didn't mention Leave Comment because I was convinced playing it up would have tied it to me... though that probably wouldn't have been nearly as terrible as it was when I first thought about it.  The real play there was to convince everyone to leave a comment about Leave Comment... that it should be stronger.  If many people did (emphatically; the intensity of the written comment counted) then it would have gotten supercharged.  With that, we could have broken the game.

But instead I hit the framer's frame.  Damn it.  Sorry, town; I was too excited for a toofer.

What is talking too much?  Clearly, everyone's appetite for large posts have gone down since I last played... including my own.  16 player games are just hard to process; I had a usable read on about half the other people D1 and just filed away the rest under TBD.

If I can find the concentration and focus to play more, I need to do a less madhouse game first.  But I just love signing up for BYORs and already know what I'm submitting for BYOR 16...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122