Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 110725 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)
« Reply #1755 on: January 12, 2021, 08:30:34 pm »

Wow. I'm reading that after I finish reading the chats.

4maskwolf, gosh darn you and your auto that stopped my fries from going out to more people. I just read where you pointed it out in the dead chat.

Crazy game, Web. Crazy game. :)
Notable games archive worthy?
I was laughing my ass off when that happened.  Less because of the screw up and more because I got to take advantage of the screw-up to lie to your face about whether or not I got them.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #1756 on: January 12, 2021, 08:30:53 pm »

Congrats scum!

oh btw

Right now I would put Jim, Nirur, Toonyman, and Leafsnail as my scumteam.

3/4 isn't bad at all

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #1757 on: January 12, 2021, 08:31:49 pm »

Congrats scum!

oh btw

Right now I would put Jim, Nirur, Toonyman, and Leafsnail as my scumteam.

3/4 isn't bad at all
Oh damn nice.  Postgame cred to you!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: January 12, 2021, 08:31:57 pm »

Shenanigans: 6.9420

nice

EDIT:
Me posting less is only a scumtell in that I'm spending a bunch of my gametime on trying to parse all our roles

This is so good. nice, Leaf.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:39:02 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: January 12, 2021, 08:32:49 pm »

Shenanigans: 6.9420

I personally would have gone for 2.4601

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: January 12, 2021, 08:39:52 pm »

Also I must say, Webadict you did an excellent job with this game. I especially like the concept for my role, It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was still great for the one day i got to use it

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 12, 2021, 08:41:01 pm »

Winning by mechanical shenanigans was a little disappointing. Sorry for blowing up a bit day 1 & 2. And then giving Heydude a hard time on the last day, pretending to be town. I actually wasn't planning to ever play again after doing bad last game, but saw the game just before Caz replaced out. I'm glad I joined overall, and learned a few things.

Thanks to Wuba for running the game. It was confusing enough as scum, you must have been going crazy trying to figure it all out.

At one point someone said that Leafsnail should die because he was leading us. He did not lead us, and the win was mostly on FoU carrying scum to victory.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 12, 2021, 08:43:29 pm »

We, ze meowfia, had two Shenanigans 10 players, one Shenanigans 8 player, and one Shenanigans 6.9420 player. Despite that, it was the latter two that ended up being the more broken roles. To summarize for anyone that doesn't want to read 666 pages of mafiachat: I had an auto called Speedwagon that could be freely transferred between players without costing an action - it had the effect that when the player holding it was blocked or redirected or randomized, the block/redirection/randomize fails, and the player holding Speedwagon got to target an additional player with their action. This would be strong but not broken on its own. Torir/Caz had Pizza Party, which was an Any-phase ability trade, that let them keep a copy of an Auto ability if that was the trade selection. Turns out that combining Speedwagon and Pizza Party was exceptionally broken. We were up to four copies of Speedwagon by game end, which could be shuffled between us to enable action target duping.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:33 pm »

Let me start off with my notes on the game:

First, never do this.
Second, just... NEVER... do this.
Third, I kept losing track of a lot of Auto abilities. I actually do this a lot, but in this case, it caused the death of notquitethere and the loss for Town. Nirur Torir would've died, and the Mafia team likely would've fallen next.

Overall, the Mafia team was potentially underpowered, and FallacyofUrist definitely made the most of that.
I'm sad that juicebox never got to utilize their Horseman abilities. A lot of cool effects were built around them. Plus, they had one of the two Revives in the game.
Luckyowl's Squad abilities were a neat way to add hidden power. I liked them, but I hated having to find them constantly.
Vector had the lowkey coolest role, but nobody let them use any powers!
heydude6 was vastly overpowered. Like... super overpowered.
Toaster was super underpowered. I actually was planning for ToonyMan to use Leave Comment by Evolving their ability to the max and creating big swings... but ToonyMan gets lynched first thing. Unbelievable.
notquitethere had the most horrifying power imaginable. It was awesome. I loved it.
Caz and FallacyofUrist went ham trying to break the game. I knew Caz's abilities were broken in a weird way, but Speedwagon was NOT what I was expecting.
Leafsnail's role was actually really fun. I liked the duality system, and I hope they enjoyed that role, even if some of the abilities weren't super fleshed out. I kinda got bogged down in trying to figure out how to make it work.
Jim Groovester had a huge page of things to do! I loved it, and it probably was the most overt power in the Mafia team.
NJW2000 did have a boring role, but it was actually one of the strongest, in a weird way. The ONLY one to have a true revive from anything, double HP, jailkeep on watch, and the bussing powers that were the only thing people COULDN'T work around. I think some more things to do during the Day would've made the role cooler, but I kinda couldn't think of something that would work.
dolores had a really well-built role for them, but they can fuck off forever.
ALL THE ITEMS!!! I actually wanted to do more Badges, but I was hitting a mental limit at the time, but TricMagic's role was a lot of fun to the game! I wish I had kept better track of it, because I literally threw up my hands trying to and just said fuck it, only making sure that someone hadn't bought every once in a while (I DID verify that heydude6 hadn't bought)
Oh, and 4maskwolf and IcyTea31 had a really cool teamwork role! I'm sad because I wanted IcyTea31's role to be a bit stronger, but it needed some obvious nerfing. I literally finished theirs first because they complemented SO WELL. A ton of 1-Shots on each of them? That's awesome.

Basically, the roles I wanted to work a bit more on were TricMagic's and NJW2000's. They weren't fully fleshed out how I wanted them to be, but hopefully no one was disappointed in their role.

Also I must say, Webadict you did an excellent job with this game. I especially like the concept for my role, It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was still great for the one day i got to use it
I actually came up with your spur of the moment. I got you as third party, and I was going to make you standard SK, but it seemed too... Meh when I made it. I was also thinking something Death Culty, but then I thought I'd try to make a spin on that, with a recruit that gave other people powers while you could sit in the background. I think if I were to make some changes to yours, I'd give YOU additional powers for them being recruited instead. I might also fix the Death's On Vacation abilities.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: January 12, 2021, 08:51:02 pm »

All the Guns:

(Information) Guns:
(3-Shot, Gun) Marine Sidearm [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP.
(2-Shot, Gun) Helix [target (x2)]: Reduce the targets by 1 HP.
(1-Shot, Night, Gun) Grenade Launcher [target]: Reduce the target by 2 HP. If this kills the target, reduce another random player by 1 HP.
(1-Shot, Gun) Com4nd0: Choose a player. Reduce the player by 2 HP.
(1-Shot, Night, Gun) Phoenix [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. Reduce the target’s target by 1 HP.
(4-Shot, Gun) Boxing Glove [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. Block the target.
(2-Shot, Gun) Dungeon Eagle [target]: You can choose to charge the shot against the target, firing during the next Phase. If you do, ignore Protect actions on the target.
(1-Shot, Day, Gun) Charmed Bow [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. They cannot vote for you during this Phase.
(2-Shot, Night, Gun) Triple Crossbow [target (x1,3)]: This can only target 1 player when fired on odd Days, and 3 players when fired on even Days. Reduce the target(s) by 1 HP.
(2-Shot, Gun) 38 Special [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. Reduce the target by 1 HP if they are targeting you.
(1-Shot, Gun) Hyper Light Blaster [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. If this hits a target, reload this ability.
(2-Shot, Night, Gun) Grey Mauser [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. When you use the last Shot, you hide from all abilities this Phase.
(2-Shot, Day, Gun) Poxcannon [target]: Infect the target with Pox.
(1-Shot, Night, Gun) Compressed Air Tank [target]: Fires a shark at the target. Reduce the target by 3 HP.
(1-Shot, Auto, Gun) Bee Hive: Reduce any player(s) who target you by 1 HP.
(1-Shot, Gun) Excalibur [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. Steal the target’s vote if this is used during the Day Phase.
(3-Shot, Night, Gun) Starpew [target]: Reduce the target by 1 HP. Each time this Gun is fired, increase the damage by 1 HP.
(1-Shot, Gun) Crown Of Guns [target (xAny)]: Reduce the targets by 1 HP.
(1-Shot, Gun) Makeshift Cannon [target]: Reduce the target by 100 HP.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: January 12, 2021, 08:51:49 pm »

All the Badges:

(Information) Badges:
Projectile Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Modifier) Projectile Badge: Whenever you use an action, you may use an additional action.
Fast Hatter Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Modifier) Fast Hatter Badge: Whenever you use an action, you may have that action apply at Priority 0 instead of its normal Priority.
Hookshot Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Modifier) Hookshot Badge: Whenever you use an action, you may avoid redirects, randomization, and tracking abilities.
Hover Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Auto) Hover Badge: Whenever you use an ability that would kill you, that ability fails instead.
Item Magnet Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Auto) Item Magnet Badge: Whenever a Tech or Gun is used on you, you instead collect it and use it yourself.
No Bonk Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Auto) No Bonk Badge: Whenever you use a kill action, it fails.
1-Hit Hero Badge - 100 pons
(Auto) 1-Hit Hero Badge: Your HP becomes 1.
Scooter Badge - 100 pons
(1-Shot, Auto) Scooter Badge: Whenever you Hide from other abilities, your action fails instead.
Compass Badge - 100 pons
{PT} (1-Shot, Modifier) Compass Badge: Whenever you use an action, you may instead have it target the first person that targets you.

All the Hats:
(Information) Hats:
{P2} (Night, Hat) Sprint Hat [target]: Run really fast and intercept all actions targeting the target.
{P3} (Night, Hat) Time Stop Hat [target]: Slow time down for the target. Delay their action by one Cycle.
Brewing Hat - Involves throwing explosive potions,
{P3} (Night, Hat) Brewing Hat [target]: Throw an explosive potion at the target, blocking them because you’re kind of a crazy lass.
{P5} (Night, Hat) Ice Hat [target]: Freeze the target, protecting them from Kills and Guns this Phase.
{P10} (Night, Hat) Dweller Mask: Materialize items from the ether. Generate a random Tech, Badge, or Gun.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: January 12, 2021, 08:53:13 pm »

Toaster was super underpowered. I actually was planning for ToonyMan to use Leave Comment by Evolving their ability to the max and creating big swings... but
Ironically despite this he probably had one of the largest mechanical impacts on the game.  Not through any fault of his own, but his actions N1 ended up scumsiding super hard: his inspection was tampered with and his ice hat kept Vec from dying and me and NJW from cross-confirming Leafsnail as scum.

Turns out that when three townies all have the same good idea it sometimes ends up as a bad one.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: January 12, 2021, 08:53:44 pm »

Wait. Prior to conversion... was Heydude actually town? We were so convinced he was an SK.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: January 12, 2021, 08:54:33 pm »

Wait. Prior to conversion... was Heydude actually town? We were so convinced he was an SK.
That's correct. They also killed more Town players than the Mafia.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: January 12, 2021, 08:55:57 pm »

We were kinda terrified of him. If Leafsnail didn't have Parallel Double, that would have been a town victory.

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 122