Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: The Last Ember [Turn 0: The Ashen Wastes]  (Read 4982 times)

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Ember [Recruiting!]
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2020, 09:20:40 pm »

Name: Shaan, The Gilded Blade

Bloodline: Pewter

Stats:
Strength: 0
Finesse: 4
Wisdom: 1
Spirit: 3

Appearance: A pitch black Whitefang, Shaan stands out, yet fades into the crowd. If you looked for him, you'd find him - But you'd have to know to look for him, first. A thing that stands out about him is his Tenant, a golden left hand, with long talons he can reshape into a minor held object at will. Examples of "minor objects" include cups, a full compliment of eating utensils, or, of course... A small, simple blade laced with his venomous blood.

Personality: Shaan is a trickster God, who excels at and greatly enjoys games of chance or skill. Of course, as a Pewter, his skills are veiled cheating, and somehow he always rolls what he wants to on those damn dice.
Interestingly, his weakness is any game where he never gets a chance to touch the primary instrument with his left hand. Then it's truly in the hands of fate.

Backstory: "Get this - I had just made a bet with ol' Grubnik - The black-sheep Pewter who smashes anything he doesn't understand? Yeah, that's him, head of an ox and brain of a rock. So I made a bet that he'd die before I did. He raised his hammer to crush me, I got ready to dodge... And some Glowcoil slave runs him through with a spear! Ha! ...Of course, that shouldn't have killed him, but it did. It really did. I, uh... I ran. Didn't want to wind up like that thick-skulled dunce. I glanced over my shoulder and the Glowcoil was tearing off Grubby's head. From the next sounds, I... I think he put it on like a helmet. I ran faster."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:22:24 pm by KitRougard »
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 09:56:55 pm »

Name: Shelldon
Bloodline: Green Gold
Stats:
Strength: 3
Finesse: 2
Wisdom: 1
Spirit:  2
Appearance: Shelldon appearance is that of a giant coconut crab/ ash-husk hybrid that changes colors based on his mood
Personality: easy going and doesn't seek trouble unless provoked, if provoked may go into a uncontrollably rage that may effect non-intended targets...
Backstory: was enjoy his slumber until someone accidently tripped on me awakening me in the process, was extremely annoyed and chased them for days before i was lost in a place I've haven't been to before...
additional backstory: before he came to this land he was a object of worship for pygmy that lived in swamp like land in a middle of a river, he was what some would call benevolent god to them where he would teach them some knowledge that would help them in the long term. Shelldon would make one a champion of there people and begin shifting them to a stronger form to help them keep and expand there land, that was how me first started and kept going until someone from the main land did something that brought Shelldon's great wraith upon the land and he unleashed a plague a crabs that act like locust, they would destroy ecosystems and nothing could be gained when they were killed since they explode into a cloud of poisonous smoke. eventually Shelldons rage would cool down and upon seeing his act of rage brought to him he deiced to apologize to other deities about what he did and start to right his wrong, and so he began his travels from this land he called home and wandered to find a stronger form to fix his mistake which he eventually took a deep slumber in an unfamiliar land
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:04:44 pm by darkwarlock3 »
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2020, 11:22:07 pm »

Name: Acatikia, The Terror
Bloodline: Silver
Stats:
   Strength: 8
Appearance: Has the basic form of a Glowcoil, though more... monstrous, with a few too many tentacles at the bottom of her body, humanoid arms being replaced by clusters of three long and slender tendrils, and a head absolutely covered in staring, rage-crazed eyes. Otherwise, her body is covered in pale, silvery scars, and a few parts of her have been sliced right off. Where the tips of a few tentacles have been cut off, they're replaced by curved, silver blades.
Personality: Fire and rage. Punish the corrupt and cruel while protecting the weak. Anything else is just a waste of time.
Backstory: Acatikia was once a normal Silver, charged to keep the order. Pure, intelligent, and strong. Until one day, reading genealogical records, she discovered that many of her ancestors were mortal Glowcoil. At first, this information was meaningless, but it remained, a seed of doubt, until bit by bit, Acatikia began to change. She began to hate the Jadeblood and the Silver, to identify more with the Glowcoil, and physically metamorphosed into a tentacled monster fit for war. Of course, her war was short-lived. Compared to the other gods, she was weak and alone. Unable to quell her rage, they would lock her away in a prison deep underground, never to escape until the end of the world.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 12:03:29 am »

Name: Gurthurth Vile Blood
Bloodline: Green Gold (by choice) Pewter (by birth)
Stats:
Strength 3
Finesse 1
Wisdom 4
Spirit 0
Appearance: a Twisted humanoid seemingly carved from wood, it has a thin spread of rotting leaves as hair upon its head, its flat face bears uncountable eyes above its Maw filled with obsidian fangs.  it typically wears sleeveless open chested black robes.  its Blood is dark as Iron.
Personality: Cruel and vicious towards those who don't reach its standards- cunning and brutal when plotting- but blunt speaking most times.
Backstory: Gurthurth was born to a rather powerful if spiteful god of the Pewter bloodline- and was brutally abused by its siblings in its admittedly quickly ended Youth- It was banished from its homelands after being used as a Scapegoat after an important child to a more important family was murdered- years passed and it took over a particularly weak city on the edge of civilization, a city it ruled with might and fear as it experimented, and sought deeper knowledge that would allow it to take revenge upon those who had caused it so much harm so many years ago.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2020, 12:33:03 am »

Name: Thakk Kal, the memory of the forgotten.
Bloodline: Cobalt
Stats:
Strength: 0
Finesse: 1
Wisdom: 6
Spirit:  1
Appearance: Thakk Kal appears as a Divine Jadescale of greatly advanced age. A powerful body worn down by innumerable years, his hunched form stands only half again as tall as his mortal kin, but he holds himself with an undeniable air of wisdom and gravitas. He moves with a slowness that shows the deliberation of all his actions. He is normally clothed in a simple robe and walks with a staff that has the appearance of an stalactite. His most striking feature is upon his chin, where a mesh of innumerable tiny cobalt rings flows downward to give him the appearance of a great metallic beard. A closer inspection of the shining links would show extremely compact engraven symbols in a language long dead and forgotten on each one as they are the physical representation of his duty and burden; the memory of the dead.

Personality: Spending so much of his life remembering the dead has lead him to become distant from the living. He struggles sometimes to tell what is reality and what is a memory, sometimes spending days or even weeks trapped in the thoughts of those long since passed. This causes him to move though life with a sense of melancholic depression since he has experienced so much failure and loss and struggles to see past the failures of the past and look towards the future. But despite that Thakk is not a cruel god, for how could he be? When he remembers so many lives, so many struggles, so many efforts and failures of both god and mortal. His long and great memory of endless loss and sorrow has bred in him a kindness and compassion for the struggles of others, as he does not wish to for any more to become memories for him alone to hold.

Backstory: Thakk kal is an old god from a temple city deep in the depths of the world, where the line between the dead and the living had worn so thin to be almost indistinguishable. In a youth long forgotten by everyone but himself he had a fascination with the stories of the lives of people, Mundane or Divine, and would seek out and learn tales of all he could. On this border city between life and death there was a swelling problem of the souls of those who were dead and forgotten, they who would not rest and allow the final memories of themselves to leave this world forever. Thakk Kals ancestor, ruler of this city and protector of this border between the here and the after charged the ever curious Thakk Kal with a singular duty that seemed to fit him most well. To remember. To remember the lives, the struggles, the failures, and even sometimes the successes of those who could not rest for the lack of anyone to remember. Charged with this duty Thakk Kal went forth to quell the forgotten dead. He learned their lives and stories, lived their memories and placated their need to still exist. Eventually upon his face sprouted their lives and deeds, finely wrought cobalt holding what Thakk Kals mind could not alone.

He would spend much of the rest of his life learning the stories of the forgotten, not only in his home city, but anywhere across the underworld where his talents were needed, he humbly traveled, at first alone, but as the years went on with a small collection of support staff and kin, representatives of a scattered network of worshipers that had sprung up and now maintained the shrines where the memories of the dead were stored until Thakk Kals next visit to an area. Thakk Kals life continued in this fashion for an indeterminate amount of time, spending most of it lost in the memories of the dead until one day he stopped. Coming out of his memories and pattern of life for a moment he realized something, perhaps by some hint of memory tucked away in the countless stories of the lives lived long ago, he felt the oncoming of the fall of the sun that would end the world. He gathered his followers and descendants that he could and made ready for his escape from this world, his long long memory of the past had given him warning, and he was not yet willing to see all he knew become a nothing more but a memory forgotten by everyone.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:36:33 am by Criptfeind »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2020, 02:12:37 am »

Spoiler: Would-Be-Usurper (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Punished Tool (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:20:38 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:28 pm »

Sorry for the delay, there is much backstory to intertwine with each other!

The following six characters are probably definitely in- I've begun writing their intros with varying levels of success and interaction with other entries on this list. There is a good but not guaranteed chance I'll be adding an additional two in as well, but if so I don't know which two they'll be.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Ember [Selecting...]
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 09:19:37 pm »

add me you shit

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 09:28:24 pm »

Seems like every god game I enter with an open ended format like this I am either too late to join, the game dies within 3-4 turns, or I don’t get selected...the story will no doubt be interesting though, so I’ll still read this

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 09:34:16 pm »

add me you shit
no u

Seems like every god game I enter with an open ended format like this I am either too late to join, the game dies within 3-4 turns, or I don’t get selected...the story will no doubt be interesting though, so I’ll still read this
I like your character, they're just hard to pick over more, ah... focused and ambitious entries.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 10:14:47 pm »

I like your character, they're just hard to pick over more, ah... focused and ambitious entries.
[/quote]makes sense, the others seem to have much longer backstories

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 07:16:42 pm »

Heart: Pounding
Odds of winning: Questionable
Actual effort of a life story in the Backstory: Minimal
Narrative quality of a moment in the Backstory: High (Self-Diagnosed)

Aaaaaaaaaaaa
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 12:51:59 am »

Prologue: The Seven

Spoiler: Player Information (click to show/hide)

The Shaper
You were not terribly concerned when news first starting coming in. The world has always been full of horror and war, and this sounded no different. Then it sounded larger, perhaps, but no different in concept. By the time you realized something was truly amiss, wheels had been set in motion. It wasn't the invading hordes that the Underworld feared, but the ruinous impact they had on the delicate nuances of the world. Processes and features that few knew they needed were knocked aside and cast askew by endless torrents of imbalance and irresponsibility from on high. The Underworld, much like your vaunted fortress, were not impregnable bastions the interlopers would pay dearly to contest. They were tombs you would drown in if you did not move quickly.

For most, this meant a difficult decision between abandoning their sanctuary and duty to flee on foot, or hunkering down and trying to withstand forces they were wholly unprepared for. You had no such difficulty- your castle could move under its own power, ferrying you to safety whenever you wished.

Or it could, if it weren't so unwieldy and slow.

You made it as far as the Well of Skellan, a vast shaft alight with spectral green energies and open to the surface world, before hitting a rather literal wall. Your stronghold was a marvel of engineering, but you had never intended it to scale sheer cliffs, and finding a more gentle incline to the surface would probably take more time than you had; while you were trudging below ground, the Usurper was roaring across it, and it'd do little good to escape the chaos of the Underworld by running into the legions of the enemy.

The Last
Another day, another apocalypse.

Granted, this one is a little more *energetic* than you're accustomed to. You seem to recall the fall of your kind feeling very reasonable and unavoidable at the time; the Pewter are often credited with "toppling" the Stonelings, but it's more like they twisted them up and let them topple themselves. Every setback and failure of that lengthy catastrophe was well founded in Stoneling motives and structures, not just a Pewter Ploy to destroy each other for no reason.

Beyond that, you've weathered apocalypses aplenty. Turns out when everyone's a powermad genocidal maniac, everywhere gets its turn at unfathomable ruin sooner or later. Some were larger than others, some were closer than others, some were more avoidable than others. But all of them were carved down somewhere as the day the world ended.

This time, though, the dam really does appear to have burst. The Pewter don't go down easy, but they're at least wily and flexible. The Silver shatter their foes or themselves, and they're currently un-shattered enough to rule the world. The Cobalt vie with horrors not even you want to know about. The Green Gold hold the line against every bogeyman from outside civilization, every contemptuous conqueror within civilization, and each other all at once.

They are *ALL* falling. Nothing can stem the tide. If it hasn't stopped yet, you're well and truly prepared to accept that maybe it isn't going to.

Fortunately, when one lives as long as you have you remember things. Little tidbits here and there, handy for a rainy day. Like where a particularly buoyant dragon was interred, and the gist of how to inflate sturdy materials- like preserved dragon hide- into a floating balloon one might use to drift to safety.

Now you just need to figure out how to dredge the mutated corpse of a Primordial horror from a pit stretching impossibly far down into the Underworld itself.

The Inventors
The dragon carcass was right where The Last knew it would be. It was no accident that it ended up down here- a mortal champion (Soson the Black, maybe?), knowing he'd have but one shot, aimed and timed his strike perfectly. The projectile is still lodged within the beast, right where it pierced several of the creature's air sacs, bringing it down at just the right moment to drop it into the pit, where it perished from the netherworld energies below. Both corpse and ballista bolt have been warped by their long time stewing within such a nexus of power, but are impressive nonetheless.

Of course, retrieving such an item is no small task; the fortress itself was useful- but not ideal- for both descending into the still-potent base of the Well and hauling such a massive prize out of it. Howldyne is displeased to note additional damage and irregularities to its function, but if The Last's scheme doesn't work he'll have to abandon the whole thing anyway.

Dissecting and repurposing the beast proves a little more difficult. No two dragons are the same- indeed, no one dragon is the same one moment to the next. As Primordial horrors, they are feared and reviled for their constant shifting of flesh, mutating constantly to fit their current needs or debased whims. The process isn't quick enough to be used in battle, but over long periods of time a dragon can become virtually anything. They tend towards gargantuan winged reptiles as a matter of convenience, but this one displays the immense variability within even that basic consistency- the thing's organically branching wings are meant for forward motion, while its internal structure contains a complex assortment of gas chambers to keep it eternally aloft.

In any case, this makes even The Last's immense stores of knowledge useless for knowing exactly what they're dealing with. Even if it didn't, the mutating energies of the Well might; there's no way to tell how much of the current beast was like that at the time of death. Certainly it appears... hollow, in a manner that is unlikely to be conducive to life but might be expected from forces aligned with death.

Nonetheless, with two of the greatest minds in the world working under threat of certain doom, the corpse is harvested and repurposed into a series of floating balloons, anchored to the castle and positioned to catch spectral energies rising from the well.

It sort of works.

Technically it performs its function- the castle indeed rises through the well. But its progress is bumpy and slow, and given the many variables involved it's difficult to tell how much of that is from which design or environmental factor. Nor is there a great deal of time to iterate; getting out of the well with their prize is only the first step in a long journey to stave off destruction.

Further complicating things, it appears obvious that this strategy will not work in the long term. It served well enough to raise the castle straight up within a confining tunnel and aided by spectral updrafts. Getting it to fly horizontally out in the open is likely a bigger hurdle than can be settled before the Usurper catches up to and murders the both of you.

You eventually compromise by repurposing most of the airsacs and wings as sails of a sort. Derided as barbarian technology used by irredeemable scum by the Jadeblood and never much used by the Stonelings, sails are an unorthodox solution, and neither of you doubts you could do much better given more time and information. Nonetheless, what you produce helps catch the otherworldly winds blowing at gale force in the wake of this doom, dragging the castle along faster than its concerningly malfunctioning legs could carry it.

Perhaps if you can make it to a nearby fortress renowned for its forgework, you'll be able to enact repairs, even improve the design...

The Ashen
The Last Ashen Lord is a heavy title to bear, but you find it suits you. Much as a mace is only dangerous because it takes as much resolve to stop as to swing, so too is this mantle empowering. Now you know you cannot fail.

And fail you will, if you cannot do something drastic. The Usurpers are being Usurped in brutal fashion, their armies shattering like brittle iron and their cities cracking like heated stones. Even the Green God is dead, his followers wailing mournfully in the dark. You cannot survive here for long.

Fortunately, you know of another way. A mad way. A desperate way. A way none would even consider under normal circumstances. A way many now desperately lunge for.

You know it can be done, because in the very oldest legends of Ashulak and Jadespawn alike, there are references to things coming from... outside. Some tales claim the Primordials themselves emerged from the Ashen Wastes, as do some myths about the barbarian hordes that threw them down.

Perhaps these tales are embellished. Perhaps they are foul lies. Perhaps traversing the Wastes requires unfathomable luck or some special trick or condition. But if anyone can lead your people to not only survival, but ascension, it is you. If anyone can master the void where the world is not, it is you.

What you cannot do is accomplish this alone. Rumors persist of singular beings emerging from the Wastes, but they are rare tales of singular and brief horror. Those said to have conquered and mastered this place are always said to have come in great numbers; it stands to reason that those wishing to do the reverse would require a large and varied host as well.

You head to Kautharam, an impregnable and widely-famed fortress, where vast hosts will no doubt have gathered. Some of them will no doubt be unwilling to accept whatever terms the masters of that place have imposed in exchange for shelter...

The Unyielding
The enemy of your enemy is not always your friend.

You knew this, of course. Many of your greatest foes were nemeses to each other; convenient insofar as they might weaken each other or provide you an opportunity, but you wouldn't celebrate the victory of one over the other.

This certainly appears to be the case now. Word is that these new invaders are sweeping across everything like a plague, without regard for allegiance or utility. In the tradition of the best conquerors, they come to destroy, not rule, and have little interest in the petty distinctions and squabbles of this land's natives.

Worse, their coming has complicated your own vengeance. At first you assumed this would be an opportunity, if nothing else, but the torrent of refugees, desperate alliances, and abandoned holdings has made finding and reaching your targets all but impossible. The death of the sun and collapse into utter darkness hasn't helped, either. You are accustomed to hostile terrain, but this is a new level of horror to operate in.

What you need most is information, and there's one obvious place to find that- Kautharam, the City of Iron Spines. Its walls are said to have been forged by the gods themselves, though the irregularity of the tales hints at a less savory origin. If you were going to make a stand, you'd want to do it here- but you are no friends to its masters, so you'll settle for interrogating whatever rabble have come begging at its gates. Perhaps then you can formulate a plan...

The Warlords
Kautharam is not what you expected.

The fortress itself holds, as near as you can tell- indeed, the tops and slits of its walls bristle with weaponry. Its immediate surroundings, however, are a charnel pit, blanketed in corpses and stalked by murderous bands the city will not waste ammunition or blood contesting. No particular pattern or motive can be discerned from this massacre; perhaps the world has simply gone mad.

Nothing out here is truly dangerous to your forces, but neither do you trust any of it. Having patrols ambushed or supplies pilfered is an irritation you cannot afford, so you're forced to either find a defensible location to camp or be quick about your business. You have a lot of ground to cover, and so decide to appropriate one of Kautharam's abandoned outer towers.

The one snag in this plan is each other. The Ashen's legions and The Unyielding's partisans are the only major players around the city right now, and you warily keep a distance from and eye on each other. After confirming both their immense strength and lack of immediate hostility, parley is made and accords are reached. At a minimum, you will comb the landscape in tandem.

You opt to settle around different towers, neither of which contains occupants able to put up any real resistance. The region between and immediately surrounding these towers becomes a sort of haven, refugees and even armed bands flocking to the shadow of far greater powers.

Your efforts prove inefficient but effective. Most of the survivors here are worthless rabble, unfit to serve and unable to provide useful information. Nonetheless, sifting through great swathes of them eventually yields a few shards of worth, and convinces each of you of the merit of the other's plans. Information and more recruits will both be vital in the days to come.

That brings you to talk of a more longterm alliance. Neither has much to lose from such an arrangement, and though fleeing into the Ashen Wastes would not have been The Unyielding's first choice, he'd be stuck defending a relentless hellscape against impossible odds one way or another.

Pact sealed, you rally your forces, including some new additions, and follow reliable information towards Augaras Tone, a monastery-forge apparently in the throes of civil war and some kind of slave rebellion, yet largely intact in both skilled warrior-smiths and exquisite arms and armor.

Hammer, Anvil, Scalpel, Tongs
Augaras Tone is a small but well fortified settlement renowned for its fine metallurgy. Originally the farming and trading outpost of an underlying Jadescale warren, it long ago achieved prominence on its own merits, and last you heard was ruled by the Zaras Clan of warrior-smith-monks.

Closer investigation reveals this to still be the case... mostly. The Zaras Clan has apparently been split by an eclectic mix of divisions, ranging from succession to philosophical concerns you are unfamiliar with. The fighting has been largely nonlethal as yet, and they have maintained the fortress well enough against all comers so far, but it remains a deep and obvious flaw.

The other problem is that their servants have turned against them. They apparently made use of mechanical-beast hybrids down in some catacomb-workshops, and for reasons they have been too preoccupied to investigate properly, these minions have turned against them, forming a sort of third faction.

All of which means getting your hands on their vaunted metalwork will be complicated but possible... but that's not your immediate concern. Your immediate concern is that there's a walking castle crewed by two gods and their servants, and a massive horde commanded by two other gods. Both are after, at least loosely, the same thing.

Negotiations are a little tenser than either side would prefer. The forge-gods don't take kindly to threats regarding their works, while the warlord-gods don't take kindly to obstinate fools who can't defend what they own but try anyway. Each is aware, at least, of the value the other can provide- with additional manpower to crew and defend the castle, it just might be feasible to get it moving at an acceptable speed. With a mobile fortress to take shelter in, braving the Wastes might be far more palatable.

Eventually the topic of metallurgy helps move things along. Howldyne's expertise with fusions of flesh and metal are of obvious benefit regarding the rebelling slaves. The Last's great age provides wisdom unexpectedly relevant to some of the more esoteric philosophical divides present. The Ashen is a fair but stern entity qualified to judge trial by combat between prominent claimants. Yog-Har is cunning enough to sense compromises and outmaneuvering the monks have not. It is unlikely either duo could gain complete access to the storerooms alone, but all four of them could at least salve a majority of the fortress' current issues.

With this in mind, you are able to come to an uneasy agreement to join forces. No party involved is entirely happy with the compromises involved, but no party involved has the luxury of passing up an opportunity or being mauled by a needless adversary. With four gods present, the monastery's troubles are quickly resolved... at least, insofar as four outsiders in a hurry can resolve generations-old feuds boiling over. Regardless, it is sufficient to supply your newly combined army with parts for the castle and arms for the soldiers.

Now a potent but unwieldy juggernaut, your migration heads towards a major trading center on its way to the edge of the world.

The Mirage
You thought you wanted it all to burn.

If someone had asked you what you'd think of the world being destroyed, of the great cities tumbling down and its armies slaughtered and the sun itself spiraling down from the sky, you'd have most likely said joy. Jubilation at a corrupt world facing justice, glee at a cruel world tasting its own medicine, exuberance at watching another do what you could not.

The problem is, you and your flock are part of the world as well, and this new horror makes no distinction between guilty and innocent. You've seen Glowcoil fleeing the devastation just as desperately as any of the master races, even begging to be taken as slaves so as to be protected. Nor are they any less disturbed or blinded by the loss of that hateful green sun, if a bit more graceful in blindly crawling along in its absence.

It was not your first choice to come to Askan Askral, The City of Glass. Famed as the City of Pleasures, there was never a more wretched hive of scum and villainy, but there was always work for your people- whether in a collar or for coin.

It's a ruin.

You don't think the Usurper has made it this far yet, so the current devastation is most likely due to panic, some sinister ploy, or somebody settling old scores before you could. Building a city out of glass is impractical for a reason, and what works well for a wealthy king on a golden throne usually shatters the instant he stumbles. Amusingly, it's no less populous as a result- as a major landmark, it's the only port in this storm, and so filled to the brim with desperate bands searching for or hiding from something.

One such band catches your eye for all the right reasons. It's large, it's varied, and it's eccentric- and not just any eccentric. Castle-on-legs eccentric.

You graciously offer your services- to their disdain, as usual. At first. People always underestimate the difficulty in getting different peoples to work together- "A strong lash smoothes any dent," as some currently dead bastards used to say. They ignore the little tensions and differences that build up in any group, let alone a varied one.

At least until you point them out. Much to this lot's great fortune, this is done to demonstrate the value of you and your kin in remedying such flaws, rather than leveraging them for a dagger to the spine.

This time.

Ten Ticks
When you heard the intriguing whispers coming out of the north, you thought perhaps you could find something useful. Your investigations yielded little, however, and so you soon abandoned such inquiries. If you had known what you do now, you wonder if you would have refused to quit so easily, or never started to begin with.

When rumors of an entirely more concrete sort began, you likewise thought perhaps you had found some allies or servants. As you approached, the tide of refugees and dire omens intensified, and you thought perhaps you had found a new employer instead. Every great conquerer needed skilled locals and a talented exile to lead them against her former kin.

Once again, you were mistaken.

The creatures were like nothing you had ever seen before- high praise indeed. Vaguely avian things clad in garish teal and gold feathers, their faces like heart-shaped masks of bone. Each limb, even their neck, was composed of a twisting spiral, and lines clearly divided their hands and face. You could not avoid the unnerving sense that these beings were two fused into one.

You could neither avoid the sense that they had no interest in diplomacy. The band you ran into was a smaller kill-squad, scooping up fleeing refugees and isolated pockets of resistance. It was easily routed, but not as easily as it should have been- though gangly, they were very large, and the bizarre curved hand-blades they wielded cut through armor alarmingly well. Their movements were alien and bizarre as well, a sort of twitching dance that seemed to foil even your veteran efforts.

You noticed in examining the mild damage that a peculiar sort of residue was left where their blades hit- mostly invisible to the naked eye, but incandescently blue to those with vision for the mystic. After ruling out poison, you came to suspect some sort of tracking substance, and prepared accordingly.

Even with the ambush, the leaner, larger hunter squad was almost a match for you. You beat them off, but just barely and largely due to dueling and wounding what appeared to be their leader. Abandoning all tainted gear- no matter how vital- you lunged back south, overtaking many of the refugees you'd passed to get here.

Licking your wounds at the smouldering ruins of a small trading town, you caught word of a large and bizarre caravan heading east- a fortress on hideous legs, bearing sails of dragonflesh and escorted by hardened but eclectic soldiers. To your veteran mercenary ears, that sounded like a potential employer if ever you've heard of one.

Perhaps they will have need of Ten-Tick Rani, the only woman alive to best the Usurper in battle and live to tell of it.

The Memory
You're not sure what you're waiting for.

Nonetheless, waiting you are. The memories were very insistent on this. There's something very important you need to do, out here at the edge of the world. The outpost here was never very fortunate, situated near savage wilderness as it was. If it wasn't being burned to the ground by barbarians, its workers were being stalked by hideous beasts. Even the bounty it relied on was never stable, the spore-trees subject to their own obscure whims and cycles. Still, the spice it did produce was too valuable for people to stop trying.

Until now. It was abandoned when you got here, which seems like an ominous portent. It also makes the world feel strangely empty, like you and your followers are all alone out here. You know that isn't true, but this is more solitude than you've had in a long while.

When fate finally arrives, it seems so obvious. A vast caravan trudges along, rumbling the earth with its might, yet you can tell its mortals are nervous. You wait patiently for them to arrive, as they first slow down at your presence, then insistently speed back up so as not to lose any more time. They try to swing around you, but you lead your people out to greet them.

Negotiations are brief. You introduce yourself and mention that you're here to join them, their gods glance nervously and suspiciously at each other, and then none of them has the time or inclination to stop you. Your followers merge seamlessly with theirs- perhaps moreso, as yours are under orders to mingle with and assist their generally clannish flocks.

Your destination surprises you, but it makes sense in hindsight. You recall how empty the world felt- no one around, hardly even any wind, largely silent of beasts. Perhaps that is how the world shall be from now on, a still and silent place. Or perhaps it is only your world that you no longer belong in, and others shall find life and joy there again.

Regardless, you are needed elsewhere now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Ember [Prologue: The Seven]
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2020, 02:22:22 pm »

Turn 0: The Ashen Wastes

The end of the world comes suddenly. You are told that in the daylight, the edges of the world fade out into increasingly sickly, sparse, and grey badland. But as far as you can tell by torchlight, it is merely scrubland until it's a vast mud furrow- the end of the world. In more orderly times the edges of the world were circled eternally by a pair of great saltwater serpents, but word is they have broken free and now rampage across the land.

Under normal circumstances crossing into (or out of) the Ashen Wastes would require careful timing to avoid these serpents, but now you simply trudge through the mud. It is a bizarre feeling to hurl yourself out of the world without overcoming any real obstacle, but these are strange times.

The Ashen Wastes are... different. You can name a dozen things wrong with them, but the most noticeable distinctions are innate. You feel it is different here, but you cannot describe how or why. The air is colder, but also feels nebulously thin or faint despite being no harder to breathe. There is no more light save distant lightning on the horizon, yet you feel as though a cloth has been pulled from your eyes. The ground is a yielding ash and the sky is a low-hanging blanket of turbulent clouds, yet it feels frighteningly alien and preposterous.

The biggest change, though, takes time to realize, for it is that time is failing.

You had experienced similar back in the world- brief spells of vertigo, disorientation at how much time had passed. But these momentary stumbles become an inevitable sloped pit here. You know time is still passing, because you put one foot in front of the other and your supplies dwindle, but you feel like your sense of it has melted grotesquely. It adds to the alien horror of this place and makes you feel like every step is in danger of hurling you into infinity. Glancing at your mortal flock, they appear to be suffering similar afflictions. This is not a place any sane mind can survive for long.

Timeless as your journey has become, the end still arrives abruptly. The castle's sails failed the moment you crossed the threshold, and so needed to be pulled with great chains to ensure an appropriate speed. It was still an invaluable shelter and base of operations, but it couldn't function with everyone riding on it like a great ship. The patrols guarding its edges reported movement in the ash here and there, but nothing ever came of it, nor was anything spotted on the peculiarly flat ground. You knew this couldn't last, but you were startled by what came next.

Those few witnesses on the ground and at the right angle describe a great black armored worm lunging from the ash and clamping down on several of the fortress' brass legs before crashing back into the ground as though it were water. This matches well enough with what everyone else felt- the castle was knocked akilter to one side, and closer inspection revealed four of its primary limbs gone, stumps apparently crushed. Howldyne's estimation of your ability to repair it is grim. Even your ability to right it is in question.

It would seem you have found your new home, at least for now. Gathering in a slanted observatory, you ponder your next move.

Spoiler: Now What? (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Ember [Turn 0: The Ashen Wastes]
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 02:30:37 pm »

Ttipcmov goes about preparing what little refreshments can be spared for this meeting between varied gods. Keeping it smooth may be a bit difficult, but some things need doing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6