Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Game over! Town victory  (Read 34089 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Game over! Town victory
« Reply #510 on: November 11, 2020, 05:25:46 pm »

*Claps for Mephansteras!!!*
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 11, 2020, 05:29:25 pm »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #512 on: November 11, 2020, 05:30:45 pm »

Roses pictures were a nice bit of flavor though.

*Bows*

I'd certainly be down for running another game if people want. This one was too short!

I'd have to think about it.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 11, 2020, 05:33:57 pm »

Yeah town got very lucky and also had great roles. It was a fun time though. Thanks all, and especially Meph for making it happen :)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 11, 2020, 05:40:25 pm »

Wouldn’t have worked, at least not by the time juice got back online. At that point Webadict had already fakeclaimed reporter who’d been watching my house and saw him visit me, and at that point he was in triple jeopardy of mechanical fuckery. Even the Caz/webadict scumteam would be completely implausible because the moment juice flipped town Caz and webadict would be dead for lying.

Reading the logs, if roseheart had actually found out that web was a sneak night 1 they could have claimed detective and said they investigated web and he's lying about his role. That would have flipped the whole table upside down for a bit. and without the sneak gambit, more likely there would have been a night kill (even though roseheart didn't actually try to kill someone apparently? wtf? still don't understand why :D )

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 11, 2020, 06:08:53 pm »

Wouldn’t have worked, at least not by the time juice got back online. At that point Webadict had already fakeclaimed reporter who’d been watching my house and saw him visit me, and at that point he was in triple jeopardy of mechanical fuckery. Even the Caz/webadict scumteam would be completely implausible because the moment juice flipped town Caz and webadict would be dead for lying.

Reading the logs, if roseheart had actually found out that web was a sneak night 1 they could have claimed detective and said they investigated web and he's lying about his role. That would have flipped the whole table upside down for a bit. and without the sneak gambit, more likely there would have been a night kill (even though roseheart didn't actually try to kill someone apparently? wtf? still don't understand why :D )
This is true. I played a rosky gambit because I knew if it paid off, we'd get two nearly confirmed Townies. I knew the risks.

I probably could've gotten played out a bit if that happened, but I think roseheart probably would've been able to live another Day out of it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 11, 2020, 07:03:40 pm »

Ugh, finally off work.

Webadict walks over and picks it up, flipping to the last picture. "He's crossed himself out." He turns and shows the rest of you. "Figured he had no chance today, I guess. Sure tried hard to talk us out of it, though."
I like that my character is nosy all the way to the end.

Also, I agree with something Caz said earlier: this setup felt heavily town sided, even accounting for player strength. Four investigative/pseudo investigative, one medium, and one venge guard is absolutely backbreaking for a two-man scumteam. The scum managed to hit the most powerful town investigative role present on N1 and it didn’t even matter.
Hmm... I think if juicebox hadn't been found out N1, it actually would've been a close game (likely getting down to 3p.) For the most part, low numbers of people create powerswings at more crucial points. I think Town was definitely more powerful, but not by as much as the game made it seem. There were no roles that could confirm anyone except the Telepath. I think the Guards potentially could've ended the game with a bit more luck, but overall, yeah, I agree. Too Town-sided, but... not by a lot. Honestly, I think some of the issue is that power roles on the Doppelganger sides are staggeringly less powerful the less Doppelgangers there are. I think that the Doppelgangers might have been better off with more passive roles that could be used instead of fully active ones, but I don't know.

Also, best quotes:
Quote from: 4maskwolf
Now I'm torn. I need to sleep because I have to wake up at six tomorrow, but I also want to stay awake to see whatever shenanigans webadict has cooked up.
Quote from: 4maskwolf
Webadict does have some of the best shenanigans.

I never thought you being slow to post was a ploy roseheart, I mainly had you as the second scum by process of elimination. As webadict said your only real hope of not getting lynched was convincing us that it was somehow Tric.
I also never thought you were slow on purpose. I just am long-winded and extraordinarily wordy. Ugh, where's Vector when you need them? I'm gonna poetry-slam them into the ground next game. It's gonna be stanza after stanza of red letter strangling. They set up a wall, and I'll knock it down, and build one five lines longer.

Also, I agree with something Caz said earlier: this setup felt heavily town sided, even accounting for player strength. Four investigative/pseudo investigative, one medium, and one venge guard is absolutely backbreaking for a two-man scumteam. The scum managed to hit the most powerful town investigative role present on N1 and it didn’t even matter.

Yeah Idek what I could have done to win honestly. I might have been able to get through D2 if either you or Caz don't action me N1, but even then, it's still a hard one to win.
Yeah, you got really unlucky. I don't even think my shenanigans were necessary.

Wait. Roseheart actually investigated Caz on N2?

What the actual fuck? Rose, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST CLAIM THAT?!?
?

I did?
I think webadict means “why didn’t you just claim that from the beginning. It gave you an N2 alibi and it was completely without risk because that was your actual action, not a fake claim.
I do mean this. Withholding made you look more like scum than anything I could've done to persuade people. I think that was your biggest mistake. Usually when it gets down to one remaining mafia, fullclaims are gonna start making the rounds, and you're gonna need to find all the information you can. I will note, however, that I would've likely pressed hard on that actions as well. Caz was almost certainly Town, and there's probably only one way you could've spun that to make you look Town. I still think it would've been tough, but the big lesson is you gotta look like Town as Mafia.

Yeah Idek what I could have done to win honestly. I might have been able to get through D2 if either you or Caz don't action me N1, but even then, it's still a hard one to win.

Not sure if this is right, but maybe you could've said Caz was lying? You could've tried to convince us that we shouldn't believe what Caz is saying and ask for someone to investigate Caz. That would've probably get you to D3, but D3 is where you would've been lynched. This is also good it might've helped Roseheart a bit. Allowing him to get pieces where he wanted them to be.
This was one hundred percent my reason for the shenanigans. I think it had potential for the other scum and Townies to claim that there's a scumteam of Caz and Lucky, so I took a small gamble on them being Town and fakeclaimed the Reporter to force the lynch, so no one could argue it. Overall, it was a medium risk play with a high return if it succeeded, so I went with it.

Also, I like shenanigans.

Hmm, didn't see it as better at the time. Not sure I fully understand. There was no proof of what I did N2 other than I knew their role. I already claimed I didn't know Webs role, frankly I am not familiar with the culture here/how believable a GM error would be so I devised the plan to have Caz investigate me and clear me as an investigator, so my error claim didn't contaminate my role claim.

The amount of heat I was getting for what seemed like smaller discrepancies (I couldn't possibly be a Detective because too many anti dopp roles) definitely didn't give me any confidence to wage that battle, possibly a much slipperier platform. So I wanted to get verified by Caz first and play it safe.

I really didn't think I'd get lynched without a smoking gun.
My mindset with coop games is "no soldier left behind" I certainly didn't expect people would die if it could be avoided. I projected these expectations without any basis though. Again just not familiar with the culture in this subforum.
That is definitely one of the mistaken beliefs about the game that I think takes some time to break. There are times where you cannot be certain of who is on what side, and whether someone is telling the truth. In a Town with a weaker center, not lynching you would've been the correct play. But, because we had two nearly confirmed players, the right play is to lynch the most suspicious players. Because unfortunately if you don't, the scum get chances to kill those confirmed players. Thus, sometimes, you need to push with your gut and not full logic.

It's why a fullclaim was called. Had a role like Agent been claimed, No Lynching would've actually been the correct play. I could've pointed you out, but until the Agent was dead or confirmed as a Dopp, there would be adequate calls for No Lynching.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #517 on: November 11, 2020, 07:43:35 pm »

He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #518 on: November 11, 2020, 08:45:21 pm »

(even though roseheart didn't actually try to kill someone apparently? wtf? still don't understand why :D )

I rolled a die, 5 sides I killed someone, the 6th side was rolled. Lady Luck spoke.

Edit: When I was assigned as scum, I did a frantic search for strategy guides on it. I read somewhere, all things being random, scum wins roughly 60% of the time. Of course with skill you shouldn't do this. It was out of humility about my own capability, and to avoid being railroaded into predictable patterns, I forsook such planning. It also, because of how I randomized it, made me as surprised as everyone else when Mephansteras revealed the night kill(or lack there of).

Edit2: With slight self-limitations, I played like a town. Honestly.

Edit3: I was a slave to juice while they were alive. Any strategy they wanted I supported without question, but once the solo act began, I figured any fancy power plays couldn't happen now, not until the very end when I wouldn't get lynched after. All my claims I could back up. I also was not behaving in a way that could be predicted, my possible actions were too broad. Perhaps someone would be lax to cover a 'stupid move' and I'd slip on by. I just needed 1 or 2 lucky breaks.

Oh, and I felt really good about Mind Shield concealing my goal. That would have been fun!

Edit4: I also knew if someone claimed my actions were 'scummy' it was BS. Because they had no plan. So I didn't need to sweat any such claims.

I figured when I killed I'd either be killed or protected by mindshield.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:31:01 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #519 on: November 11, 2020, 09:41:42 pm »

"You haven't even seen my final form!"

*grabs popcorn*

Permission to sig?

Edit: I feel it sums up my phoenix spirit that manifests when I feel I am expected to go down quietly!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:01:58 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #520 on: November 11, 2020, 10:12:16 pm »

Juice, we should have had me do all the killing.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 11, 2020, 10:16:34 pm »

(even though roseheart didn't actually try to kill someone apparently? wtf? still don't understand why :D )

I rolled a die, 5 sides I killed someone, the 6th side was rolled. Lady Luck spoke.

Edit: When I was assigned as scum, I did a frantic search for strategy guides on it. I read somewhere, all things being random, scum wins roughly 60% of the time. Of course with skill you shouldn't do this. It was out of humility about my own capability, and to avoid being railroaded into predictable patterns, I forsook such planning. It also, because of how I randomized it, made me as surprised as everyone else when Mephansteras revealed the night kill(or lack there of).

Edit2: With slight self-limitations, I played like a town. Honestly.

Edit3: I was a slave to juice while they were alive. Any strategy they wanted I supported without question, but once the solo act began, I figured any fancy power plays couldn't happen now, not until the very end when I wouldn't get lynched after. All my claims I could back up. I also was not behaving in a way that could be predicted, my possible actions were too broad. Perhaps someone would be lax to cover a 'stupid move' and I'd slip on by. I just needed 1 or 2 lucky breaks.

Oh, and I felt really good about Mind Shield concealing my goal. That would have been fun!

Edit4: I also knew if someone claimed my actions were 'scummy' it was BS. Because they had no plan. So I didn't need to sweat any such claims.

I figured when I killed I'd either be killed or protected by mindshield.
If your actions were random, wouldn't that be anti-Town? I mean, it makes no sense as Town to aim randomly, and it'd likely get you lynched.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Paranormal Mafia 26 - Day 3
« Reply #522 on: November 11, 2020, 10:27:26 pm »

Roseheart, you might be thinking why I picked you to claim first. It boils down to that you were the one that felt most suspicious at the time. I asked Persus13, Tric, and you for your roles yesterday. Persus13 and Tric both seemed to have reasons for withholding, but you didn't have any reason at all. Honestly, that might have just been a mistake on your part, but I also believed you were relatively hidden on D1, so it stacked up.

I absolutely didn't claim. I'll claim tomorrow, if I'm still around.
... Fair. I guess I can't argue with that. Then I will instead continue watching one of Luckyowl or Caz's house.

Paraphrase:

P: "I don't want to."
W: "Fair enough!"
#reasons

Edit: I did claim my role, and I made the exact same proposition[with my N2], I'd do so immediately the next day. And even provide a reason. An actual reason.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:30:57 pm by roseheart »
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #523 on: November 11, 2020, 10:33:15 pm »

If your actions were random, wouldn't that be anti-Town? I mean, it makes no sense as Town to aim randomly, and it'd likely get you lynched.
That seemed a smaller hill to die on, than concealing a real scum plot.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 11, 2020, 10:38:10 pm »

That seemed a smaller hill to die on, than concealing a real scum plot.
Yeah, but I'd be all over that as well.

Roseheart, you might be thinking why I picked you to claim first. It boils down to that you were the one that felt most suspicious at the time. I asked Persus13, Tric, and you for your roles yesterday. Persus13 and Tric both seemed to have reasons for withholding, but you didn't have any reason at all. Honestly, that might have just been a mistake on your part, but I also believed you were relatively hidden on D1, so it stacked up.

I absolutely didn't claim. I'll claim tomorrow, if I'm still around.
... Fair. I guess I can't argue with that. Then I will instead continue watching one of Luckyowl or Caz's house.

Paraphrase:

P: "I don't want to."
W: "Fair enough!"
#reasons

Edit: I did claim my role, and I made the exact same proposition[with my N2], I'd do so immediately the next day. And even provide a reason. An actual reason.
True. But, Persus' role had a benefit to secrecy. Yours didn't. And when I wanted something from Persus, they answered without hesitation, and goddamn if I can't respect that attitude.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38