Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256658 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4470 on: January 11, 2024, 07:04:10 am »

No wonder the robots decided nope.

Stay with below group. Give orders to above group to look into constructing a bridge or just examining the tunnels in general. Take it easy, there's probably no way for them to get down and it's going to be a long time before we can get back up.
+1
+1

They may want to tell the robots we're down here at some point. Ask if there's a known way out, that kind of thing.
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: January 12, 2024, 02:26:32 am »

"We're okay, but awfully far down.  A rope ladder or two won't do it, we'll probably have to get building downwards.  Something long and serious."

"We're going to mostly take it easy, this is a pretty big place.  We've got food for a few days, but it is going to be a long time getting back up.  Leave Uncle in the pit, we should be able to send messages up to him, if we need supplies or to talk."

Alright.  They're going to build something to get down or get you back up.  In the meantime you'll set up camp.  The kids are revived, you put the tents up, and although there isn't much to burn, you're fine on cold food for a day or two.

It does get you a brief examination of the area around you.  The rocks are strange.. this isn't the shine of heartmetal, but a fine grained orangy colour.  Some parts are dark, some parts are light, but the orangish colours remain, signs of.. you don't know.  Not any ore or metal you know.  In addition, three or four times an hour there are faint sounds, coming from a direction you decide is north.  This deep underground the direction sense remains, so you should be able to retrace your steps, but.. well, you've forgotten which exact direction is north.  So the direction towards the faint.. hoots?  hoots is north.  The other direction is south.

And the darkness dances.  You put a number of additional glowstones out on poles, but it's immensely creepy out there.  Glowstones aren't supposed to cause shadows, but looking into the seemingly infinite distance, the vertical blackness between the subtly orange walls..  Something is wrong with the darkness.  And you're not certain what.  Inside the tents you can avoid the subject, but outside you all know it's creepy and somehow shifting in one way to another.

You're not sure how long you can take camping in this particular place.  It's really hard on the psyche, even for a master assassin, a very optimistic blaster mage, and a living piece of eternity, the world's last dragon.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: January 12, 2024, 03:20:57 am »

Since we're going to be down here for a bit I say we go investigate the noises.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: January 12, 2024, 04:14:55 pm »

+1

Better than giving in to fear.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: January 12, 2024, 04:21:51 pm »

+1

Better than giving in to fear.
+1
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: January 13, 2024, 08:33:17 pm »

You do not find the hoots.

You still have plenty of glowstones (Seriously, they last months), so you're set there.  Given the oppressiveness of the darkness, you strap a few extras to your packs and armour, so everyone's got three.  One behind them, on their packs, one strapped to their belts, and one being carried on a neck strap, like usual.

The darkness does flicker as you move northwards.  Perhaps more worrying than finding out whatever is making the faint hoot sounds is hearing the hoot sounds stop.  It means it's much less likely to be something natural, something that just makes sounds as water flows or air blows or steam hisses or something.  The hoots don't cease immediately.  You're marching through the vertical fissure for about a full kilometer before they stop.  You stop too, and wait for them to resume.  They do not.  You try retreating a bit.. and the faint sounds don't begin again.  Nothing left to do but to move forwards.

Ahead, there is a clear chokepoint as the passage narrows.  It's not narrow enough to block passage, but it's now narrow enough to be blocked by one person.  Above, there is still no roof, simply the harrowing blackness and narrowness of the vertical slit to eternity.  ..Although, over here the darkness doesn't quite dance the way it does further south.  Instead, it's a still darkness, now that the hoots have ceased, only lifted by your footsteps.  It's empty.. or silent.  Sessha is concerned something is watching as the party marches through the narrow darkness.

Eventually the narrow fissure comes to an end, and begins widening, leading to a series of broken steps leading into a shelf upwards.  Each step is about fifteen feet high, so you need to lift each other over it carefully, two people scaling while someone remains on watch.  After about six or seven great steps, a roof appears from above, creating an alcove at the end of the steps.

Inside the alcove is perhaps a proper room.  There are signs of finished stone, and two very grotesque statues in the corner, dripped on with minerals and utterly fused with the floor.  They're clearly worked pieces, but here and now they only form indistict somewhat humanoid-ish forms, taller than they are wide or deep.  The corner contains two basins of water, one clear and one with a faintly visible movement inside it.  They're formed by the stone being carved into the floor of the rock.  Overall, there is enough room to camp here, although you can't have the tents, and the open space is open to the top of the flight of broken stairs.

Examining the room more closely, there are no other visible entrances, although there are two large cracks in the wall, one leading up and west, and the other leading about due east, at floor height and horizontal.  There are also several large blocky objects in the middle of the room, more carved stone that may have been taken from the ceiling long in the past.  As for the ceiling, it looks pretty solid now, the chunks were carved out and turned into some indistinct shape long ago.

Spoiler: Fissure Maze (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: January 16, 2024, 03:48:31 am »

Trence tries the water from each pool - what does it taste like? What's moving?

If nothing interesting is discovered, head back to the dancing darkness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: January 16, 2024, 04:16:22 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: January 16, 2024, 06:37:27 pm »

+1
There are advantages to traveling with a poison dragon!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: January 16, 2024, 07:33:16 pm »

The water is clean, cool but not freezing, and tasty.  Both basins, actually.

...thinking about it, the one where the water is flowing is about toilet-sized.

Do you want to set up this area as your campsite?  Someone obviously made it, a long time ago.. but it's probably calmer than your original campsite, being further from the strange, dancing darkness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: January 17, 2024, 02:29:06 am »

Moving camp here seems like a good idea especially since there's water here.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: January 17, 2024, 11:25:32 am »

+1

After that, head up and west through the crack in the wall.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: January 18, 2024, 06:49:50 am »

+1

After that, head up and west through the crack in the wall.

You set up camp in the room.  You put the tents up first.  Or tent.  For safety reasons, everyone's sleeping together.  Next, you start making a firepit, moving smaller rocks over into a ring and lighting a small fire to check for ventilation.  It's okay, but you still don't want to do more than you have to, lest you choke on the gas.  You then check in with Waris, who says that they got back to the robots okay, and they are mounting a rescue mission.  He also mentions that they're being a bit mercenary about it, and will be expecting some kind of contribution when you're rescued.  Sessha mentions the detective-bot back, and tells him to mention that you've already done them a service, for free, too.

After everyone gets settled, you hear a small hoot once more.  It was very quiet.  If it didn't repeat itself about ten minutes later, you wouldn't have been certain that you heard it.  It came from one of the passageways, but you aren't sure which one.

Time to check out those cracks.  They're pretty narrow, but there is enough room to pass one at a time.  After about fifty feet of crawling it opens into another room.  This one has a noticeable breeze, and it's moist and full of crystals.  Nobody's certain if it's just mineral crystals or if it's some kind of magic crystal, but they aren't glowing which would have decided it for certain.  This room certainly has a connection for something, and as you carefully walk over and around the crystals, checking out the tiny cracks and holes, Willis asks everyone to put out their lights.

Trence and Sessha cover their glowstones, and Willis says that he can see a light, on the other side of a very narrow squeeze, leading further west from the crystal room.  It's very tight and it's a good long way, so..

Spoiler: Fissure Maze (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 06:52:15 am by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: January 19, 2024, 02:21:57 am »

That lit room sounds like a thing we need to look into, I guess we figure out who's the smallest and send them to peak into it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: January 19, 2024, 11:13:23 am »

That lit room sounds like a thing we need to look into, I guess we figure out who's the smallest and send them to peak into it.
+1

Maybe not using dragon form though, unless there's no other way.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 326