Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256622 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4485 on: January 20, 2024, 01:17:20 pm »

Dragon form would be easier.  Trence-as-Whelp is significantly smaller than he is as a kid.  Willis and Trence are about the same size.  Trence goes first, then, as he has more hitpoints.

The crawl is very, very narrow, and Trence has to remove his armour halfway through.  It's very nice that you can just equip/unequip things instead of having to actually put them on.  At the narrowest point, you get stuck for a long five minutes.  It takes some assistance from Willis to pull through, and you're about five minutes from going dragon to escape.  The other two remain behind, with Willis getting pulled back by Sessha.  If you have to, going dragon should let you by.. water and venom dragon are pretty skinny.

This new room is more stone and crystals, with the light coming from small pockmarks of metal nodes in the wall.  It's not really bright, only bright in comparison to an absolutely dark cave.  You call back and let them know you're fine, looking through tiny wall cracks and fissures, some dripping with water, all over the place.  There's nothing nearly your size to get further, the biggest entrance by far being the one you came through.

You climb over a few more crystals, and duck under some blocky rooftops.  Most of the room is only about four feet high, but there are some taller spaces here and there.  In one of them you find a bit of broken machine, about the size of a housecat.  It's self-contained, and you wonder if it's some kind of robot.  In any case, it's broken, looks like it's been ripped open by brute force, something peeled the metal skin off the robot, taking advantage of a rust spot.  Looking further, it must be pretty old, as the interior is all rusted out too, copper components turned black with age, green fuzz growing over aluminum ones, and steel bits all dark and flaky.

..Wait, only the outside part of it near the tear is all rusty.  It should be rusty all over.  Something did this to the poor robot.  Something ate away at it with rust and then tore it apart like a lobster.

Looking further, there was some kind of magical mechanism near the front end.  It's not really your field, but you think it involves Earth magic.  Other than that, you can't figure out anything about it.

You call out to the others again, letting them know you found a broken robot.  At least you know it wasn't a true robot, or the body would have disappeared, so it must be some kind of mechanism.  You also tell them that you're going to cover up your glowstone again so you can look at the glowy metal nodules some more.

You do so.  The black walls fill with faint light, showing up into a thin, fine tracing of lines between starlike points.  It's all over everything, the walls, the floor, the cracks.. and yourself, your clothing and skin.  For a moment, there's something.. but no, nothing happens.  There is something in your memories about the light and darkness, but this isn't quite close enough to trigger anything.

As you are looking, you hear the howl again.  This time it's LOUD.  You equip your armour without thinking, turn around, and see..   nothing.  It's dark, and there's just the specks and lines of light from whatever the strange metal is.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: January 22, 2024, 04:50:19 pm »

Decay based attacks? That's bad, because Trence

is strongly attuned to the elements of death and poison.  He does not have the corresponding weakness to the element of life, but instead has a slight weakness to the magics of entropic decay, or

Void Beasts, other than they seem to be vastly enhanced versions of normal creatures... There is a theory, though, that they aren't properly from this world, not like ordinary monsters, and that sometimes the world pulls in creatures from afar

Under a black sky with tens of thousands of cold, white stars, blazing in the darkness

faint light, showing up into a thin, fine tracing of lines between starlike points

Ok, I'm not 100% sure on what's going on, but this potentially a really bad situation and we need to leave very soon.

Grab the machine, pass it through to the others, get out of there. Do not turn into a dragon.
One wheel short of a wagon

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: January 23, 2024, 02:58:36 am »

Ok, I'm not 100% sure on what's going on, but this potentially a really bad situation and we need to leave very soon.

Grab the machine, pass it through to the others, get out of there. Do not turn into a dragon.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: January 23, 2024, 04:52:41 am »

You pick up the machine and exit the room as quickly as you can without going four-legged, climbing over and under the stone and crystal, then pulling yourself towards the crack, crying out to the others for help.  They grab you and pull you through, being none too gentle.  Trence ends up taking nine damage, and comes through cut and bleeding.  This is strained as the trip back is not quick, and the extended crawl leaves blood on the stones as the party has a good ways to get back to the safer alcove room.

Eventually the party arrives.  It's probably only been a half hour or so, but it was a very long half hour.  They have the small broken robot, but attending to Trence's wounds is more important.

He's always hated the feel of the first aid herbs, and this is no exception.  The cuts feel like they're on fire, and Sessha makes him disrobe and clean off everything, using the flowing water pool, and over the course of the next half hour, Trence takes an additional 18 magic damage.  The Elemental Ring does seem to help with it, so it isn't actually Void damage, thankfully.  After a couple 'ticks' of declining damage, Sessha uses a spell to heal him up, and the pain continues to lessen significantly, eventually fading below the level of his natural magic resistance.  Although Trence is down a few hitpoints, as some amount of lasting damage has been done.  Better healing or time is needed to take care of that.

Status Note:  Trence currently has his maximum hitpoints reduced by 12, to 88.

Spoiler: Fissure Maze (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 05:01:44 am by Devastator »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: January 24, 2024, 02:32:36 am »

Since we went through all that and brought back the robot bit I think we should examine it closer now that we're back at base.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: January 24, 2024, 06:13:54 am »

Since we went through all that and brought back the robot bit I think we should examine it closer now that we're back at base.
+1

Ask Uncle to help… and also what he thinks the chamber is, and why it’s so similar to that strange memory of white stars we have.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: January 24, 2024, 06:20:13 pm »

Ask Uncle to help… and also what he thinks the chamber is, and why it’s so similar to that strange memory of white stars we have.

Looking at the robot, you find that a bunch of the parts have markings.  Including a couple strings of letters and numbers that could be a name or an identifier.

Conversing with Uncle can only be done via the Shadow Messenger spell, making it a lot clunkier than usual.  Both communication rods ended up down here with you.  Shadow messenger means she casts the spell, tells the shadow messenger her message, and gets a brief reply from Uncle.

Sessha puts out a four-spell budget, leaving her low but not empty, in case there's a fight before rest-time.  There is an actual protocol for this, both people talk continually and replies are sent only in the next outstream message.  In the first three messages..

..you report the broken machine and its identifier.

..you get back information on how they're going to build a driller station and set up a chain of chainlifts for you to ride up.  In several days.

..you ask about the strange wounds, the mineral, and strange memory-like interaction with it.

..you're asked about emergency supplies and questioned if you would like anything specific dropped down the hole.

..you mention the dancing darkness, the howls, and the abandoned camp you've discovered, a bit away from the landing zone.

..Uncle asks when and where Trence has had previous experiences with the memory stuff, wanting details.

That's three of four messages.  What reply do you send for your last one?  Statements about the memory stuff or specific requests for supplies?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: January 25, 2024, 02:01:07 am »

Not sure when the last memory thing happened but we should probably tell him that, as for supplies to ask for I say we ask for mana potions since those seem to be something we use quite a bit.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: January 27, 2024, 03:43:40 pm »

That's an exclusive or.  Either send information about the memories or request specific equipment.  in any case, you'll be able to send the other the following day.

Also, as for what consumables you have..  The party's inventory was split.  Also, you used a fair number of consumables keeping Trence the Airbag Dragon alive on the way down.

Spoiler: Current Inventory (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: January 29, 2024, 04:39:48 am »

He'll be able to guess the equipment needs, probably. But we want to figure out whatever's going on down here.

Talk to Uncle about the memories.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: January 29, 2024, 02:20:28 pm »

There's a fairly long delay before the message comes back.  Uncle must have had to stop to think.

"I think there's two kinds of memories.  Memories in your mind, and memories from others.  I think what you found down there is a memory from your mind, it was like something you once knew."

And the the messenger is silent.

Any more explorations or preparation before trying to rest in the new camp?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: January 29, 2024, 06:28:18 pm »

Naptime.

We'll figure out what that howling was tonight or we won't.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: January 30, 2024, 03:28:45 am »

Naptime.

We'll figure out what that howling was tonight or we won't.
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: January 30, 2024, 04:24:42 am »

"No.. lets get this over with.  The howling will attack, or it will not."

The tent is set up, food is prepared and eaten, and the group sits down to rest, all in the same tent, back in the alcove room.

Zzzzz..

Several hours later, they wake up, to be greeted by fog.  For some reason, the whole tent is filled with gray mist.  Additionally, everyone feels unnaturally numb.  Sessha is the first to awaken, and her shout wakes up the other two.  She's numb.  They're all numb.  And the gray mist pours out of the tent.  Sessh struggles awake, opens the tent, and sees the mist pouring down the two low crawls, emptying the room..  there's nothing to attack and she still feels numb.  A few minutes later, all three are up, and another one of those howls rings out, filling the room.  It's close.

..and the numbness starts fading.  All three are hurt, their bodies beginning to tingle, rough red burns over most of them, but Willis was hurt worse by the mist.  His burns are deeper, more persistant, and chunks of his skin have been worn away.

(Willis's maximum HP reduced by 8.  This is in addition to Trence's existing Max HP reduction of 12.)

Everyone does have their mana refilled, however..

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: January 30, 2024, 04:26:54 am »

friggin deep mines sleep paralysis demons
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 326