Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 70

Author Topic: [IC] Remembrance  (Read 52527 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: [IC] Remembrance
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2020, 05:36:17 pm »

Kira

She glanced between Verna and Doc as the former left. The faintest hint of a question made it to her expression, but she didn't interrupt the physician as she continued to speak with such a trivial inquiry. Kira nodded when Doc mentioned her eye, meeting her gaze with both it and the healthier one. "The doctors told me I was hit with a Shadow weapon, about three years ago." She looked down slightly, the damaged eye lingering slightly but noticeably as she did so. "I've never remembered anything from before then until now. I think it was from that day. Or. . . some of it was." Kira gave a small sigh. "It didn't all make sense." When she said it out loud, it sounded even more like wishful thinking. It was impossible to give it up, though; it was a glimmer of hope, something she was running ever shorter on.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 11:07:16 pm by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute Vampire Witch Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2020, 10:24:06 pm »

Kira

The involvement of a holy weapon could mean any number of causes, but that wasn't nearly enough to deter Doc. Shadow was noteworthy, she wasn't knowledgeable about holy weapons, but her uneducated guess would have blamed a Time weapon. She grabbed her flashlight and did a basic checkup on both of Kira's eyes. Both were perfectly functional, but if the issue were surface level then a previous doctor would have already solved it. "I take it that some of it did make sense then? Tell me about that."
Am Shami, I run RPs. People seem to like them.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2020, 11:16:06 pm »

"I saw a sword. A rapier, I believe." Her tone was still relatively dispassionate, but she felt somewhat uncomfortable for reasons she didn't quite understand herself. It's not as if the doctor calling her crazy would be new, but then the woman had been much nicer than most. "There was an arm covered in tattoos, and some kind of tendrils going across a battlefield. There was a woman calling out for her daughter, and a girl clutching her eye." Her left hand twitched slightly, though Kira herself didn't seem to be aware. "There was something about a name, too, but I don't know what it was." She was quiet for a moment, then added: "Now that I say it, the girl doesn't make sense. I thought it was me, but I couldn't have seen myself there."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2020, 05:37:47 pm »

Monika

Camilla was still off-balance when Monika's first attack came her way, and she was barely able to stumble out of its path. She made a vague attempt to reoriented herself towards Monika, but she hadn't regained her senses enough to focus on a moving target. She was still exposed, but Monika could tell that wouldn't last long.

Eilyth

Brigitte looked ready to burst with excitement. "I've only told the twins so far. I didn't want mom to find out right away and I didn't think anyone else would keep it secret." she said, "I'm sure it got out anyways, they always seem to know everything. I hope they found out, with the changes in our orders the wedding will have to be soon. I don't want to give mom a heart attack, she's already really stressed."

Brigitte was fond of their mother, they all were. Carys was a kind and gentle woman whose unshakable confidence had never once wavered, not even in the face of grief. When the twins' mother passed she had been distraught, but she'd never once let her daughters see it. It was only in adulthood that they had each come to realize how much their mother struggled. Even before the death, she had never been close to her daughters. She was the one who made the money, while Perdita had cared for the children. Eilyth hadn't been around for the time when her sisters had an active hand guiding them. Without that guide around, too many of them had taken after their militant grandmother. Only Brigitte had managed to retain their mother's kindness. Brief though Eilyth's contact with the woman had been, even she knew that their mother cared for each of them deeply, and desperately wished to be around more.

Being the lead inquisitor of a major news station was a time-consuming job, and one that Carys couldn't easily back away from. At that level she wasn't just a journalist, she was involved in key police investigations and had close political ties to some members of the Council. She often found herself tied up in an inquisition for months on end, with results meaning the difference between life and death for dozen or even hundreds of people. Inquisitors were the unsung heroes of society. They kept the public informed of important happenings, helped uncover unsavory ne'er-do-wells, and maintained national security. Without them the entire Katrian way of life might fall apart.

Kira

Doc nodded. "That actually makes perfect sense." she said, "Memories are never quite accurate. Inexplicable, dreamlike imagery gets mixed in all the time. And I have a friend who wrote her thesis on how trauma victims disassociate and have out-of-body experiences." Doc grabbed a radio-like device out of her labcoat's pocket. She started punching in numbers while she asked Kira a follow-up question. "The incident, where did it happen?" Doc had already come to the same conclusion as those before her. The key to understanding Kira's amnesia lay in discovering who had caused it. But she had an ulterior motive as well. She wanted to try to jog Kira's memory further by keeping the focus on the event. The memories were clearly there, just blocked off somehow.
Currently focused on Defile Circles, a game all about being corrupted by demonic powers while trying to figure out a magic system where there are literally billions of possible spells.
Defile Circles Discord

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2020, 07:26:29 pm »

Eilyth
Sooner, then. Definitely, definitely, sooner. Right now in fact, that would probably be for the best. Great, on top of putting together the administration for this new battalion, she was also gonna have to devote a lot of attention to learning how to maintain an unbreakable facade of calm. Granted, she was going to have to learn the skill at some point along the way, given the massive PR campaign that was going to accompany her new status, but goddesses dammit, she had wished she'd be able to put it off at least for a while; build it up slowly. Depending on how soon the Wedding would be, she may damn well need to ask for a crash course from people she'd really rather not ask favors of. She internally shivered at the mere thought.
    "Well hopefully the rest of them have enough sense to keep their mouths shut, for mom's sake" She said, taking another sip of her otherwise untouched coffee. Things hadn't really changed from when they were kids, as far as mom was involved. Always busy with work. One part putting food on the table, one part fulfilling a patriotic service. It was weird growing up and people would ask you what you parents do for a living, and you tell them and more times than not they immediately recognize the name and already have their own opinions of the work they've done and who they are, despite having never actually met them before. Not that Eilyth, or any of them, really knew well her enough to correct or reinforce any of those opinions. All she really knew for certain was that during the few times she had found herself in their mother's presence for more than just a brief while, she'd felt safe. Not the type of safe she eventually came to feel thanks to her own power, once she had grown old enough to fend for herself. No, it was always... harder to explain, more ethereal. Like... everything would be alright. Like just for a little while, she didn't have to worry.

Like she could let her guard down.

No one else she had met ever had that type of effect. Not even the Dame Surpreme, with her legendary enthrallment ability, had been able to fully suppress the animalistic vigilance that had rooted itself in the back of Eilyth's mind. She had more just twisted it to work for her, given even at her Lowest, Eilyth had still been on edge enough to immediately notice her back up approaching and damn near ruin it all. With mom though, it was like that part of her could melt away, like she could finally shed her armor and rest.
    Even now, here with Brigitte, she caught herself passively glancing at the windows and the doors every once in a while, had even positioned herself so she could do easily do that when they'd first been seated. She had once heard that some Peace Brigade Officers also developed similar habits, given their line of work. Some called it vigilance, other's Paranoia. To her it was all the same though; a part of her so ingrained that it was hard to turn off even if she wanted to.

"Anyway," She continued, "do you and Leah have any ideas for a date before then? We've got about two months until we ship out."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2020, 10:17:17 pm »

Kira

"Nerest. I was told it was a town near the Tyran border." The topic brought up a strange mix of emotions and lack thereof. It was upsetting, of course, but it held a paradox; part of why she was upset was that she wasn't more upset. There were connections upon connections there that she knew she should be missing, knew it should be agonizing to think about, but instead there was just a dull ache. "I'm not sure you could find it on an up-to-date map at this point in time." She glanced at the radio before resuming eye contact with the doctor. "What are you doing?"
GM of Trespassers V2.

Raindrop Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
  • The Heroine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 09, 2020, 01:38:02 pm »

L

L was nearly taken aback by the young girl in front of her. She was quite the chipper one and was talking to her as if L in manner that she'd not expect of a former opponent. Clearly Faith thought highly of her ability, The Wrath of God? L couldn't say she enjoyed that descriptor... it was too grandiose for the simplistic calling of lightning she did. L could feel it was genuine, it didn't have the bite of a backhanded compliment... she was all too used to that sting. It was rare one complimented her work for what it was. L felt a warmth in her that she hadn't in a long time. A feeling she rarely had any more this days in this bitch of a life. She genuinely smiled, something that perhaps only Cay had ever seen in person. It had passed by L quickly, Faith excitingly speaking about her less than typical holy weapon. Then again, what was a typical one? L reckoned tanks probably weren't one but this was a thought for another time.

"That sounds quite useful if we're stuck on missions. Keep my toes nice and warm..." L said thinking about the last time she was out in the dead of winter... she pushed it away, that was some of the worst sleep she'd ever gotten in her life. It made her tired thinking about it... "Uh.. anyway." L awkwardly started, the thought having visibly rattled her and sinking into her voice a smidgen. She looked back at her notepad, still blank, and then started to swirl the candy currently in her mouth yet again. "Yes yes, others can man this Holy Weapon with you? What effect does this have? I know the basic understandings of a tank so I would assume it would generally expedite it's functioning but... this isn't a mere machine. It is a Holy Weapon after all. In addition, I'd like to know what other types of assault it has withstood in the past if at all possible." The Major seemed quite skilled at returning her focus, getting back to the matter at hand with a minimum of bumbling over her words and emotional state. "The fact we are speaking now is great testament to it's resilience."

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 09, 2020, 06:13:06 pm »

Kira

"Just making a quick call, you'll see what for." Doc pressed a few buttons on the radio and then held it up to her ear. "Hey Pinn, it's Doc, I've got a search request." she said, "I'm looking for a meister. Weilds a sword, likely a rapier. Shadow weapon, shaped like tendrils or vines. Active around the Katria-Tyran border around three years ago, specifically involved in any incidents related to a town called Nerest."

Doc listened quietly as Pinn responded at length. She looked annoyed, but it was hard to say whether or not that was just her everyday attitude or if something was actually bothering here. Especially without hearing the other side of the conversation.

"Oh yes I know you're very busy." Doc told Pinn, "This is important, get it done or I'll call your mother and let her know you've been slacking off."

The yelp from the other end was enough to make Doc pull the radio away from her ear with a wince.

After she'd ended the call, Doc returned her attention to Kira. "That shouldn't take very long, a few hours maybe. If she doesn't find anything I'll put in a formal request and have someone look through old paper files."

Eilyth

"We haven't had any time to talk. She's been just as busy as you're supposed to be." Brigitte teased, "I'm going to suggest we try to get it at close to the end of that two months as possible. I want as much time to prepare as possible, for both leaving and the wedding."
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2020, 08:02:00 pm »

Kira

"I see." She tilted her head slightly, speaking up again after a moment. "Why are you trying so hard to help? I appreciate it, but I don't understand it." This was a woman that, not long ago, she'd been in active combat against. They were enemies, in theory, and yet she was being nicer than most people from her own country. Doc had even gone as far as involving some kind of personal contact of hers.
GM of Trespassers V2.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2020, 05:18:23 pm »

Monika

Even in her weakened state, Monika wasted no time following up with her initial jab, quickly retracting her arm and halberd, pivoting on her foot to spin and knee Camilla in the stomach, boosting the speed of her attack with yet another blast of heat. Though the strike was likely to hit, Monika was prepared for the possibility of a counterattack, ready to change her approach at a moment's notice. If her knee met its mark, then Monika's followup would simply be to hit the General on the back of the head with the blunt end of her weapon, hopefully knocking the older woman out.

They had the courtesy not to immediately execute them once they found them, and even healed them, so Monika would repay the favor.
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2020, 09:39:44 am »

L

"For anyone else it's just a tank, ye." Faith explained, "It moves easier for me, controls are looser. It works its best with all four people, but all alone I can make it run like three. Only bad number is if there's two people in there.

"Before you zapped me, I'd brushed off the Force Grenade chick, the lady that made earthquakes and stabbed things with spikes out of the ground, the fire sniper with the anti-tank gun--she was mad, the force kickball, the thunder axe lady, and another sniper. So ye, Shirley can take a beating."

Kira

"It's just who I am." Doc said with a shrug, "When I see people in need, I can't stop myself from trying to help. It's why I joined the military in the first place." She smiled wryly, "I was a pretty naive girl. Still am in some ways." She started packing up her things and offered to get Kira food or something to read while they waited to hear back from Pinn.

The wait took about four hours. During that time Doc asked a few more questions she hoped might stir memories, but had no success. When Pinn called, she spent several minutes writing down all of the information before finally ending the suspense for Kira.

"There's not a lot of information, but Pinn thinks she's found our meister. There's an infamous Tyranian Dame who dropped off the map around the same time that your home town was destroyed. We have precious little information on her, even the Tyranians don't know a lot. But it's suspected that she used a Shadow holy weapon. We have a small number of pictures of a woman suspected to be her, and the woman in those pictures is carrying a sword. It's very circumstantial, but it's also an awful lot of coincidence to be nothing." Doc paused to let Kira get a handle on all of the information befre asking, "Does the name Kirari Arceneaux mean anything to you?"

That was it. The name Kira's mind had tried so hard to avoid acknowledging. The final image flashed back into her mind, as clear as day this time. Kirari Arceneaux, hastily scrawled on a piece of paper by a child. Messy as it was, Kira still recognized the handwriting as her own. The paper had been and important form, Mama had been upset when she saw that Kira had drawn a picture on it. Kira remembered the terror she had felt every time she made Mama mad.

Monika

Monika felt a sudden sharp pain in her knee as something bit deep into her flesh. Had the general not been disoriented, the thread she'd frozen between them would have cut Monika's leg clean off. Instead it just scraped across the surface of her lower leg, cutting off a thin layer of skin. The impact of her knee ignited the pain further, but it also caused Camilla to fall backwards hard, coughing as she tried to recover the air that had been blasted out of her lungs. She was holding six needles, one between each of her fingers, almost like claws. The pain from the general's defense prevented a swift follow-up, and Camilla was finally able to recover enough from the flashbang to properly orient herself. She was at a disadvantage on the ground, but didn't move to climb to her feet. She knew that even with her injuries, Monika was too fast to let an opportunity like that slide. She just sat there, catching her breath and waiting for--or perhaps anticipating--Monika's next move.
Defile Circles Discord

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2020, 09:57:48 am »

Kira

The memory clicked into place, and Kira almost gasped. It wasn't a pleasant feeling, coming with echoes of stale fear, but the meaning of it swept that sensation away almost immediately. "Yes," Kira said, almost wonderingly. "Yes, that's the name. I wrote it down. I remember." The excitement in her voice at that last was actually audible, if still somewhat muted. She gave Doc a grateful look, only belatedly breaking it off as she also recalled how people tended to feel about her stare. "I don't know how to thank you enough. I'm not sure if I can. Kirari Arceneaux. . ." After saying the name aloud, she began to write down the information (rather more easily now,) ensuring she remembered each and every tidbit and association.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:57:23 am by Chevaleresse »
GM of Trespassers V2.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2020, 12:15:36 pm »

Monika

Of all the counterattacks, Monika wasn't prepared for one to already be in place, the shock evident on her face as her leg was cut by the frozen wire, a spike of pain shooting within her as her knee made contact with the General's stomach. As with the General, the exchange of blows forced Monika to step back, the blazing agony in her leg preventing her from immediately following up her attack. Not that she planned to, now that the General revealed one of their defenses.

Goddesses, she hated Time weapons. Always screwed her over in ways she could never expect, or simply thought about. She shouldn’t have been surprised at the use of such an ability, but it was still extremely annoying to deal with, regardless of how much it forced her to change her approach.

As soon as the pain in her leg began to dull, Monika pressed on, eyes focusing as hard as they could to notice any leftover strings that would cut straight through her limbs, all while she lifted her burnt hand towards and fired a blast of heat from it, ignoring the reignition of pain that came from the small amount of heat trailing back to her fingertips. Shortly after the blast, Monika jabbed forward with her halberd, the weapon’s edge trailing through the heated air and towards the General’s right shoulder.
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC

Takosher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »

Monika

Camilla reacted to the jab by using the needles to tear off the shoulder of her jacket and freeze it in place just above her shoulder. Holy weapons were extremely durable, even in ways that should be impossible. A normal blade would be destroyed upon contacting a time-stopped object, but Monika's halberd would simply collide with it like it were a solid wall. The weapon also served as her best method for countering the needles themselves. A time stop like Camilla's wouldn't be able to freeze holy weapons directly, they would only freeze if their user was hit.

Camilla used the time gained from blocking to get her feet under her and spring backwards, finally standing upright unhindered. The two were now on equal footing. Even with her injuries, Monika had a clear advantage over the much older general, especially after dealing such a solid stomach blow. But Camilla always seemed to be a step ahead. She was keeping back, never going on the offensive, and taking care to always be ready to block Monika's attacks. And somehow it was working.

There was only one reason it could be working.

Monika wasn't the only one who had read up on their opponent. Camilla already knew who Monika was.
Defile Circles Discord

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2020, 02:23:28 pm »

Eilyth
"Hey, not like I gave my appointments today an actual time," Eilyth said, smirking, "putting it off by another hour or two isn't gonna get me in any more trouble. Let me know if you guys need any help by the way; I am your beloved, and all..."
    Her smirk combined with the delivery of the offer probably didn't come off as such to the casual observer, but Brigitte would know well that freely offering help in anything was about as sincere as Eilyth could get. Her usual gruff and impulsive nature often meant that the few times she deemed to aid anyone besides herself, she didn't bother offering or discussing it; she simply stepped in and handled things herself. Sometimes that manifested as pushing a couple E1s aside to move a peice of heavy equipment they were struggling with, other times it meant opening a barred door by knocking it clean off it's hinges. Actually going to the trouble of asking someone specifically what they needed or wanted was a basic sign of consideration for most, but for her it was one of the few signs of respect or care she could really show.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 02:26:21 pm by Stratos »
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 70