Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fight for the Woods - Bookbinders  (Read 3810 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for the Woods - Bookbinders
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 06:48:57 am »

Kobolds are an easy recruiting action, but they won't come with weapons. High pop per Beings point.

Crossbows will be Hard to Very Hard, depending on writeup. Also will be ~3-5 per Material.

Silvered dagger is easy, but will be costly. I'm thinking 10-20 per Material.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 07:04:49 am »

Revision: Spears
The time-honoured weapon of town guards, peasants and other various little people, the humble spear is still an effective weapon, and one that is far cheaper and easier to use than a sword, especially en-mass. As necessary, the spears come in sizes suitable for most members of the bookbinders, given the presence of ogres and the like (Though an ogre-sized spear is quite capable of being used by a human two-handed.)

Revision: Banded Cudgels
Crude, simple and effective, a club reinforced with a band or two of iron around the head is a weapon that is simple and effective at what it does, and cheap to maintain and create. Given the bands of iron, it's likely these clubs would be particularly effective against fairies. Furthermore, our ogre comrades and shorter folk have cudgels more suitable to their size)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:17:55 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 08:44:35 am »

Both proposals are easy, probably 30-50 per Material.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 09:47:40 am »

Could we try and recruit Vampires or would that be too difficult?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2020, 10:11:20 am »

I mean, you could write a proposal, but I'm not sure vampires would really be a good fit for us.
Long Live United Forenia!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 10:30:50 am »

I mean, you could write a proposal, but I'm not sure vampires would really be a good fit for us.
I dunno, they keep being slain by annoying fairy tale heroes. :P

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 11:24:21 am »

Ogre Stone Matron

It is common in myth for ogres to take the form of living stone, Being living statues of prodigious size. Like many a tale this has a hint of truth to back up the fantastical tale, even if the tale is untrue. Many ogre matrons, Left alone in their caves for most of their life to raise the young and perfect their elve toe stew, had developed a rather strange magic affinity revolving around the cave that they spend the majority of their life in. This form of magical connection was actually rather rare, requiring the ogre in question having to spend generation upon generation inside of the same cave before they formed the magical affinity necessary. While it can be taught, the beginnings of this magic were rather rare, if repeatable, accidents.

Normally the ogres who possess this magical connection did very little with it, At most teaching their Daughters about in preparation for their own Cave-bound existence, with the lessons that rafal has given them, many an Ogre Stone matron has a sense of ambition previously untouched.  Before rafal, The Ogre matrons didn't even have a unified name for their magical discipline, let alone an actual name for themselves.

Now, Many stone matrons has come to seek employment under Rafal's inquisition, both in the name of discovering new uses for the manipulation of the earth and in the name of gainful employment for their future children.
Stone matrons Don't tend to wear much more than your typical ogre's clothing, maybe a robe or a crude leather tunic, and instead tend to manifest the simplest forms of magic available to themselves by Creating an armour of gravel around themselves. Combined with their natural ogre strength, and ability to always have perfectly sized stones at hand for throwing, this renders your average stone matron a rather dangerous force.

In combat, Most Stone matrons will clad themselves in Stone plate and Gravel Skin, Providing a Hard outer layer of defense made of stone, capable of being repaired by their magic and the earth they are standing on. Most Matrons will proceed to either crush their enemies under stone hard and heavy fists, Capable of crumpling knight armour like a tin can, or Throwing rocks the size of human heads fast enough to kill a horse.

Considering the nature of A Stone matrons magic, Being severely underdeveloped and untested, it is quite possible that the
magical art will improve.

CHARACTER: Grenda the Troll face

Grenda is an ancient ogre, even by the standards of the cave living ogres. She is so old that she was the very origin of the tale of Trolls turning to stone in sunlight. Using her magic, she will create an outer armoured shell of stone, gravel and dirt around herself making herself rather difficult to kill as any wound in the armour is repaired within second by the ground she lays her feet on, Combined with her rather prodigious size and strength eve for an ogre, Grenda was a menace for many an ancient village, stealing goats and sheep for her dinner in the dead of night. Any wound dealt to the soft mud of her armour was healed in seconds and strikes upon the stone and gravel did worse than nothing, merely blunting the blades and ruining their edges.

When Grenda was rather slow on her nightly escapades, the farmers would be shocked as her earthy hide is revealed in the coming light instead of the flesh one would expect. Many a farmer would commiserate to their friends while deep in their cups, leading to the legend that trolls turn to stone in the sunlight.
Being old enough to birth such a legend, Rafal found Grenda to be an interesting story, and quickly convinced her to joing his inquisition through a bribe of goats, apprentices, and as many cows as she could ever hope to eat. Even at her advanced age, Grenda is more than capable of Crushing knights underfoot with her powerful stone outer shell and her ability to lob boulders formed straight from the ground.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 11:34:29 am »

Character Design: Normal

Recruitment Design: Very Hard, ~5/unit.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 05:43:43 am »

I like Frost's Character suggestion, but a tank might not be the best starting point. I wrote an alternative:

Willow the Witch-Hunter:
Willow was once one of the most famous Witch-Hunters in Ravenwood, before she met Rafal, and became his devoted follower. She now serves as his lieutenant in the Bookbinders.

Willow's story is one of constant betrayal.
Her widowed father remarried, as widowed fathers are wont to do. Needless to say, her stepmother was a witch. The witch, jealous of Willow's good looks, plotted to kill her, with her father's approval. Willow overheard the conversation, and convinced her step-sister (the witch's daughter) to swap beds with her. In the middle of the night, the witch snuck into the girls' room, and in the darkness slit her own daughter's throat. Willow waited for the witch to leave, then snuck out of bed, stole the witch's magic wand, and fled to the home of her sweetheart, Roland.
Roland agreed to help her escape the witch. They set off the next morning, but the witch chased them. Willow used the magic wand to... uh, turn Roland into a pond, and herself into a duck. Look, it made sense at the time, okay? The witch, who could not swim, could not reach Willow the duck in the centre of the pond, and so went home for the night.
The next day, Willow and Roland fled further, but the witch caught up to them again. This time, Willow used the wand to give Roland a magic fiddle, while she turned herself into a flower in the middle of a briar patch. The witch tried to pick the flower, but Roland played the fiddle, forcing her to dance, and she tore herself to shreds on the thorns. You know, that thing that happens.
Willow and Roland finally arrived at Roland's father's domain (the father being a minor noble). Willow disguised herself as a stone, while Roland went to negotiate with his father for permission to marry her. However, his father introduced him to another girl, and Roland immediately forgot all about Willow. What a dick.
Willow turned herself into a flower, hoping someone would trample her to death, but was instead picked by a shepherd, who placed her in a vase in his home. In gratitude for this act of kindness, Willow cleaned his house whenever he left. The shepherd was pleased, but wanted to know who was cleaning his house. He set a trap, and caught Willow in the middle of cleaning. Willow was baffled that the shepherd couldn't just accept her gratitude, but had to fucking set a trap for her, what the fuck man, screw it, I quit.
She turned the shepherd into a bat, and buggered off back to Ravenwood. She resolved never to fall in love or trust anyone ever again, and instead dedicated her life to eradicating witches. For years, she did just that, until Rafal showed up. He won her over with his hatred of stories, which was even greater than her own, and she agreed to aid him in his quest.

Despite being a Witch-Hunter, Willow is not averse to using a bit of magic now and then. Her stepmother's wand, though battered after years of use, still has enough power that she can transform herself and one other person once a day. She also nicked a pointy magical hat from another witch, which protects her from hexes and other magical hazards. If you value your life, don't even think about suggesting that this makes her somewhat witch-like herself. 
In addition, she is an able combatant, having had years of practice at fighting witches and other nasty beasties. Rafal's training has further enhanced her deadliness, as he taught her to be a ruthlessly effective killer who ignores the concept of fighting fair.
She has brown hair and green eyes, and is of average height. She used to wear a corset and a long dress, but Rafal pointed out that neither was practical, and so she now wears a sturdy leather trenchcoat and rugged trousers. In terms of personality, she is cold, calculating, and cynical, except around Rafal.

Story inspired by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweetheart_Roland
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:46:50 am by NUKE9.13 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 07:34:22 am »

Hard difficulty. I like the backstory a lot.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2020, 10:03:33 am »

I think there's still room for more suggestions, but Doom encouraged us to start voting.

Quote from: Botevox
Design
Crossbows: (1) NUKE9.13

Recruit
Kobolds: (1) NUKE9.13

Revise
Spears:
Banded Cudgels: (1) NUKE9.13

Character
Grenda the Troll face:
Willow the Witch-Hunter: (1) NUKE9.13

Base
Borna Coric: (1) NUKE9.13

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 10:09:33 am »

Design
Crossbows: (2) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21

Recruit
Kobolds: (2) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21

Revise
Spears:
Banded Cudgels: (2) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21

Character
Grenda the Troll face:
Willow the Witch-Hunter: (2) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21

Base
Borna Coric: (2)NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21
[/quote]

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 10:16:40 am »

Design
Crossbows: (3) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21,FRostgiant

Recruit
Kobolds: (3) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21,Frostgiant

Revise
Spears:
Banded Cudgels: (3) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21,Frostgiant

Character
Grenda the Troll face: (1) Frostgiant

Base
Borna Coric: (3)NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21, Frostgiant

I agree with lots of what's here, but my goal is geomancy and Grenda gives Geomancy while willow does not, so that makes my choice easy.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2020, 01:00:28 pm »

Design
Crossbows: (3) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21,FRostgiant

Recruit
Kobolds: (3) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21,Frostgiant

Revise
Spears:
Banded Cudgels: (3) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21,Frostgiant

Character
Grenda the Troll face: (2) Frostgiant, Powder Miner

Base
Borna Coric: (3)NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21, Frostgiant

We’ve already got dirty fighting and shooting people with our other options, so I don’t know that a tank seems terrible when you consider that. She can eat hits so our tiny ass kobolds and shitty peasant mans don’t have to

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »

Design
Crossbows: (4) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21, Frostgiant, Taricus

Recruit
Kobolds: (4) NUKE9.13, Chaoskl21, Frostgiant, Taricus

Revise
Spears: