Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fight for the Woods - Bookbinders  (Read 3806 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Fight for the Woods - Bookbinders
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:56:09 pm »

Welcome, Bookbinders

“You are the chosen ones!” Rafal says from the balcony above you, flanked by his Avalon guard, and personal witch hunters. You’re standing in Avalon, listening to your new boss induct you into the Bookbinders. He carries on, “Long have the Woods trembled before the so called right of heroes and villains to rule us, too long have we stood defenseless as Tales attack us, drive us out of our homes! This ends now! We have the magic, we have the might, and we have the science to take control of our fate!”

The crowd cheers, and Rafal steps back into the castle, where the Bookbinders are staying today. You meet back up with the other engineers and smiths, chatting among yourselves about the past few months. It sure was a wild time, Rafal’s rise to prominence. You remember it as if it were yesterday…

Core Thread: Thread

How did Rafal first strike back against the oppressive rule of fairy tales?

(Clarification - this prompt is to help you develop your starting units. While you can vote for a "tapestry" of war stories, it means you'll get less from each story. You can have Tales in your forces - they just agree with your cause of getting the magical world under control. Folklore from ALL CONTINENTS is allowed.)

Index:
Backstory
Design 1
Revision 1
Raid 1
Current Phase - Revision 2
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:43:33 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight for the Woods - Bookbinders
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:58:30 pm »

First

Striking Back - The Citizen Militias

"Normal", mundane humans used to be fodder, caught hopelessly between the battles of good vs evil that plagued the realm. Someone somewhere else always wanted to fuck up someone's day, and somehow innocent people kept getting caught in the middle of it.

The first people who got fed up with being treated as hostages, shields, and leverage were farmers, vagabonds, and wanderers. Some families tried to stop Heroes from going through their things to take what they "needed" and got stricken down for "supporting Evil". Others struggled against the shackles of Evil and were slaughtered for "being too Good". Guilty of only wanting to be left in peace, the people instead had to make war. Citizen Militias sprung up as loosely organized forces of locals capable of fighting. They weren't often dressed in more than rags or armed with anything other than farming tools, but they had to make do or make dead.

There are stories of one Citizen Militia that besieged a castle on their own and manage to wrest control of it from twin "Good" wizards Frank and Steen and their creature creations. One such creation, simply named Frank and Steen's Monster, was captured alive but later escaped. It was reported to have slain many innocent women and children before the local Citizen Militia cornered and killed the beast.

Rafal himself was merely a member of the mob responsible for hunting down the Monster, but after it's impressive size, strength, and completely unbridled rage felled many men larger than Rafael, he managed to slay the beast on his own. He grew in prestige and eventually led and organized Citizen Militias beyond his village's own borders.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:13:45 pm by Man of Paper »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 06:32:09 pm »

Old Alliances (or, of Supervillains and Tanky Guys)
An imposing figure stood before the audience of Bookbinders. Standing at eight feet tall, the gargantuan being was fully shrouded in a rather intimidating display of black armor, gothic spikes and thick plates and a truly massive greatsword making for a very imposing form indeed. Beside him, looking nothing other than perhaps slightly exasperated, was Lord-Inquisitor Rafal, dressed in simple mail and red fabric, standing with his hands behind his back in a stately manner. They were before a much smaller group than the massive, swarming crowd Rafal would much later address from his balcony -- a group of elite warriors, mages, statesmen, the forming inner circle of the Bookbinders.

The massive armored figure addressed the group in a booming voice. "GREETINGS! I... AM THE BLACKSTEEL WARLOCK!" Eyebrows raised in the present Bookbinders; not only was the figure just really loud, but he was a famous villain, and many wondered just what he was doing. The figure seemed to pause for dramatic effect, but Rafal elbowed him lightly and cleared his throat. "RIGHT, RIGHT... FOR TOO LONG, I HAVE STOOD AGAINST COMMON HUMANITY... FIGHTING IN MY OWN AREA OF THE WORLD AND BATTLING FOOLISH HEROES. BUT NOW... I HAVE SEEN THE ERROR OF MY WAYS! NO UNENDING BATTLE OF TALES CAN BENEFIT ANYONE!" Rafal nodded, and this time waited for the Warlock to have his dramatic pause. "INSTEAD! US VIL--" Rafal cleared his throat again, and the Warlock stammered briefly, "US CHAMPIONS OF HUMANITY HAVE DECIDED TO JOIN IN COMMON CAUSE! NO LONGER WILL "HEROES" TRAMPLE THE COMMON MAN! NO LONGER WILL THEIR SQUABBLES DISTRACT FROM THE GOOD OF THE REALM! THOSE SUCH AS I -- AND MY COMRADES, SUCH AS PLAGUE-DOCTOR JUROS, AND THE EVI--" With a loud clang, Rafal elbowed the Warlock again, this time hard enough to dent the armor, "--THE GOOD DUKE OF THE SWAMPS, SHALL CREATE A COMMON REALM, THAT WILL WORK FOR ALL HUMANKIND!"

There were cheers here, and Rafal resisted the urge to rub his temples as the Black Knight went on. "I HAVE PERSONALLY PLEDGED MY ARTS AND MEN TO THIS CAUSE! I SHALL TEACH US HOW TO MANIPULATE METAL, AND EARTH, TO ARMOR OURSELVES -- AND IN ARMOR OF EARTH AND METAL WE SHALL BE IMPOSING TO THE WILD AND WARRING FORCES THAT KEEP HUMANITY DIVIDED! WE SHALL BE UNSTOPPABLE! WE SHALL COME TOGETHER AND MOVE WITHOUT END!" This time the cheers were louder, especially as the Warlock demonstrated by forming a suit of heavy armor around a volunteering warrior on the spot.

------

If there was anything that Rafal had learned over his long career (his beard and hair streaked with white, now), it was that people were really not very smart. He had been a villain for decades, the Arbiter, and a very prominent one at that, but though he had plenty of martial ability that had never been his strongest suit. His ability to essentially herd cats, however, had been. Villains were egotistical creatures, much like the Heroes of the world, but they had ambition and potential that Heroes never did. They sought to become powerful, often to subjugate the world, while Heroes hopped along like little idiots rooting through villages in their path to stop them. Villains, when coordinated, proved to be forces to be reckoned with... but it took a special talent to keep them from fighting each other. As the Arbiter, behind his anonymizing silver armor and mask, he'd done just that. For years and years he'd kept Villains from infighting, growing their power, pushing things subtly out of balance -- and then he'd joined the Inquisition, and made his way into a lead position under a new identity. And it had all been while convincing people that THEY were going to lead, that THEY were going to get everything they wanted, don't worry about all of the consequences, it would be fine. And they always believed it, the idiots.

They were useful idiots right now, though. the Warlock especially -- through that maniacal mage's addition to the ranks of the Bookbinders, Rafal had a beast of a combatant on his hands, a juggernaut of armor and attacks of earth and steel. He also had the man's minions, heavy fighters in steel or in stone, and those that the Warlock inducted into those ranks. (There were, of course, mooks without any of THAT to their names, but Rafal viewed them as acceptable sacrifices.) He had sent word out to other villains, and he was sure that slowly but surely they would join his cause. With powerful and ambitious figures like that, well... as long as Rafal was around, he was sure he'd be able to put an end to the Tales and consolidate the world under his rule, like all of the idiot Villains that had come before his own talents had tried and failed to do.

[to be a little more explicit, I’m trying to start us off with armor & geomancy and maybe a relevant kind of champion unit, with a goal of kind of getting other champion kinds of units in later on]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:37:40 pm by Powder Miner »

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 09:41:24 pm »

[quote ]
Striking Back (0)
Old alliances (1): frostgiant
[/quote]

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 10:25:35 am »

Chapter One: Rafal the Butcher

Rafal has humble beginnings - a human with a family unattached to the struggles of Good and Evil. He was orphaned as a boy after his parents were killed by a Villain after a night out capped by a wonderful play. With nothing but his inheritance and an Elvish butler to watch over him, Rafal grew into a vengeful, bitter young man.

Using his vast stores of wealth he had employed some Dwarves to dig into a cavern layer beneath his home. The underground lair, with one entrance from Rafal's castle and one behind a nearby waterfall, became Rafal's primary home, and his butler and Dwarven employees became his assistants. Rafal knew something had to separate Good and Evil, Heroes and Villains, from the regularfolk, and spent years in his lair researching the recently acquired corpses of a number of species. His cavern eventually became a menagerie of the fairy tale folk of breeds Rafal identified as particularly hostile and non-conducive to a balanced, peaceful life. Body after body was dissected, but none yielded the results Rafal knew had to be found somewhere.

He moved on to vivisection, with his Dwarf strongmen ordered to bring in live captives. Rafal's studies continued for years without interruption or, unfortunately, a significant breakthrough in his research. He did discover that proper processing of fairy tale folk, even of their mundane organs, could yield major benefits regarding health and vigor even in the most mundane of beings. He also learned a lot about the bodies of the mundane and the fantastical, and traded his gleaned medical knowledge with the local regularfolk for food, drink, and leads on fairy tale folk that had been pestering the area.

The Rafal the Butcher Origin is intended to highlight Rafal's personal surgical and medical skills, while giving him some other speciesbuds to work with, and securing himself as a positive, if not eccentric, influence on the locals (in their opinion). Having a batcave secret underground lab is also good for future experiments if we want to, say, introduce golems, homunculi, zombies, or anything else we need !!FOOOOOOR SCIENCE!!.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 02:53:28 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Striking Back (0)
Old Alliances (2): frostgiant, Powder Miner
Rafal the Butcher (0):

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:31:43 am »

I'm not really a fan of the basis of our faction being 'Basically just Villains, with a thin coat of paint'. Like, I don't mind employing reformed Villains, but isn't the whole point that we are outside of their binary?
In that sense, I prefer MoP's first suggestion, although it's a bit sparse. I'm not sure what sort of things are acceptable here, though. Like, there are pirates, who presumably have pistols, but could we do muskets, or would that be too disruptive of the fairytale setting?

I figure Rafal should be someone who isn't part of the fairytales- an outsider, who either doesn't see or deliberately breaks narrative rules. Like, rather than imprison the hero, he just immediately executes him. If there's a monster hiding in the woods, he doesn't go stalking through the undergrowth, he has the trees chopped down so the monster has nowhere to hide. If a tiny guy with a sling comes at him, he sends a dozen men with crossbows rather than duel the """obviously weaker""" opponent. He uses a pickaxe to free swords from stones. All of which is completely baffling/horrifying to the people of the Wood, for whom following stories is as natural as breathing.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 03:27:33 am »

Old Alliances II (of Supervillains and More Coherent Theming)
An imposing figure stood before the audience of Bookbinders. Standing at eight feet tall, the gargantuan being was fully shrouded in a rather intimidating display of black armor, gothic spikes and thick plates and a truly massive greatsword making for a very imposing form indeed. Beside him, looking nothing other than perhaps slightly exasperated, was Lord-Inquisitor Rafal, dressed in simple mail and red fabric, standing with his hands behind his back in a stately manner. They were before a much smaller group than the massive, swarming crowd Rafal would much later address from his balcony -- a group of elite warriors, mages, statesmen, the forming inner circle of the Bookbinders.

The massive armored figure addressed the group in a booming voice. "GREETINGS! I... AM THE BLACKSTEEL WARLOCK!" Eyebrows raised in the present Bookbinders; not only was the figure just really loud, but he was a famous villain, and many wondered just what he was doing. The figure seemed to pause for dramatic effect, but Rafal elbowed him lightly and cleared his throat. "RIGHT, RIGHT... FOR TOO LONG, I HAVE STOOD AGAINST COMMON HUMANITY... FIGHTING IN MY OWN AREA OF THE WORLD AND BATTLING FOOLISH HEROES. BUT NOW... I HAVE SEEN THE ERROR OF MY WAYS! NO UNENDING BATTLE OF TALES CAN BENEFIT ANYONE!" Rafal nodded, and this time waited for the Warlock to have his dramatic pause. "INSTEAD! US VIL--" Rafal cleared his throat again, and the Warlock stammered briefly, "US CHAMPIONS OF HUMANITY HAVE DECIDED TO JOIN IN COMMON CAUSE! NO LONGER WILL "HEROES" TRAMPLE THE COMMON MAN! NO LONGER WILL THEIR SQUABBLES DISTRACT FROM THE GOOD OF THE REALM! THOSE SUCH AS I -- AND MY COMRADES, SUCH AS PLAGUE-DOCTOR JUROS, AND THE EVI--" With a loud clang, Rafal elbowed the Warlock again, this time hard enough to dent the armor, "--THE GOOD DUKE OF THE SWAMPS, SHALL CREATE A COMMON REALM, THAT WILL WORK FOR ALL HUMANKIND!"

There were cheers here, and Rafal resisted the urge to rub his temples as the Blacksteel Warlock (not the Black Knight, notably) went on. "I HAVE PERSONALLY PLEDGED MY SUPPORT TO OUR JUST MISSION OF CLEARING THE WORLD OF THE ELEMENTS THAT THREATEN TO TEAR HUMANITY DOWN AND LEAVE IT SQUABBLING AND HELPLESS BEFORE THE FORCES OF CHAOS! I AM A POWERFUL WARRIOR AND A SKILLED MAGE AND THE COWARDLY BEINGS OF THE "TALES" WILL NO DOUBT FLEE BEFORE ME!" Rafal drily and silently noted that the Blacksteel Warlock had had a pattern of running away the moment things actually looked bad for him in the past -- but he of course didn't voice this little remark. Not when he had this... find and upstanding individual here to sway the inner circle into truly believing that they had the might they needed, and not when it actually appeared to be working, excitement setting in.
------

If there was anything that Rafal had learned over his long career (his beard and hair streaked with white, now), it was that people were really not very smart. He had been a villain for decades, the Arbiter, and a very prominent one at that, but though he had plenty of martial ability that had never been his strongest suit. His ability to essentially herd cats, however, had been. Villains were egotistical creatures, much like the Heroes of the world, but they had ambition and potential that Heroes never did. They sought to become powerful, often to subjugate the world, while Heroes hopped along like little idiots rooting through villages in their path to stop them. Villains, when coordinated, proved to be forces to be reckoned with... but it took a special talent to keep them from fighting each other. As the Arbiter, behind his anonymizing silver armor and mask, he'd done just that. For years and years he'd kept Villains from infighting, growing their power, pushing things subtly out of balance -- and then he'd joined the Inquisition, and made his way into a lead position under a new identity. And it had all been while convincing people that THEY were going to lead, that THEY were going to get everything they wanted, don't worry about all of the consequences, it would be fine. And they always believed it, the idiots.

They were useful idiots right now, though. The Warlock himself was a powerful warrior and a tough one, at that, and the more Villains (or, if he played his cards right, disgruntled Heroes -- he knew many that were privately quite annoyed that nothing ever seemed to stick in the Woods) that he could get on his side, the more raw unstoppable power he'd have to bring to bear. Would this kind of focus on the big names of the villain world and less on any individual villain's infrastructure leave their minions and his foot soldiers rather unnotable? Suuuuure... it was possible... but the sustainability elements could be worked in as time went on, Rafal was good enough at that. But starting out with a cadre of notable individuals that would be able to push in disruptive elements (those who refused to work with him), like that prideful sonuvabitch the Black Knight? Well, that sounded more than sufficient to him.

(Old Alliances II ditches the armor and geomancy elements of the previous version [though we could still do those anyway in later turns] in favor of presenting a bit more coherent of a theme based on champion-style units, the Villains in question.)

I'm well aware that I may actually get less support, considering that I've eschewed a lot of what Frost wanted here, but I'm a lot more confident that the theme I'm presenting isn't total muddled garbage from a mechanical point of view with this one and I hope that the less nonsensical composition makes this background more palatable to at least some people.

Striking Back (0)
Old Alliances (1): frostgiant
Old Alliances II (1): Powder Miner
Rafal the Butcher (0):

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:58 am »

Rafal Says Fuck Your Premise
Rafal was never normal. Or rather, Rafal always believed that the entire world was abnormal. He did not like stories. He did not cheer when a heroic knight passed through the town; he did not boo when the villainous baron did so either. He was bullied frequently as a child, to which his parents responded by telling him that it would make for good backstory later in life. Rafal left his village at the tender age of 13, though not before luring his bullies deep into the woods and picking them off one by one with his father's crossbow.
Soon after leaving his village, Rafal was approached by an assassin, who offered him the chance to become his apprentice. Rafal shot him half way through the pitch.
Rafal had a goal, and that goal was not to become a simple villain. No. Killing strangers did not bother him, but it didn't bring him pleasure either. He wanted to kill stories.

The first step was to study them. So Rafal travelled the land for years, observing hundreds of stories great and small. He kept a journal, in which he recorded information about how they started, how they proceeded, and how they ended. Several times, the stories tried to draw him in, but his trusty crossbow kept him suitably disengaged.

The second step was to gain allies. One kid (or young man) with a crossbow couldn't do much. To this end, he travelled to Ravenwood, where the Witch Hunters fought an endless war with the local witches. Rafal, with his extensive notes on narrative structure, was able to lead them to victory against several powerful witches- sometimes at the expense of one or two sacrificial children, but the people of Ravenwood were used to making sacrifices.
For several years, Rafal worked with the Witch Hunters, gradually amassing power- but was eventually driven out of the province by an alliance of witches. Many Witch Hunters followed him, having grown fanatically loyal to his cause. Rafal and his followers travelled next to the Malabar Hills, where Rafal hoped to find a second set of allies.

Ogres- one of the oldest races in the world-, once a proud and prosperous people, had been driven into poverty and obscurity by successive generations of 'heroic' children stealing their treasures and murdering them. "The Boy Steals Ogre's Treasure" was one of the oldest stories in the world ((Trufax, look it up))- and Rafal would see it ended once and for all. He visited the mourning relatives of slain ogres, collected evidence, and systematically set about arresting and executing the thieves. At the same time, he taught ogres to immediately kill intruders, rather than attempt to fatten them up and cook them, and to properly secure their prized belongings.

The ogres quickly joined Rafal's cause, and with their considerable strength backing him up, alongside his ranks of fanatical Witch Hunters, he expanded his reach further, righting the injustices wrought by tyrannical Tales in other regions, building support year by year, until he judged the time was right, and announced the third step of his master plan: revolution. Though in truth Rafal did not particularly care about the plight of the masses, he had in his travels made note of the many people who suffered under the status quo, and judged that they would support him in his crusade.
He was right, of course. With agents in every province riling up crowds, Witch Hunters picking off notable opponents, and an army of ogres arrayed against any organised resistance, his victory was as predetermined as the outcome of any story.

Rafal is, essentially, the most Genre Savvy person in the world. This is his primary power, allowing him to manipulate the outcome of stories to benefit him. His primary motivation is a deep-seated hatred for stories (or Tales), especially when they try to involve him.
  -In game, this would best be represented by subverting whatever Tales United is trying to do as much as possible; employing units not just to counter theirs, but to completely overturn the premise on which they operate. AKA the Mereth way (where Mereth responded to enemy psychics not with psychics of their own, but by tearing a hole into the dimension from whence they got their powers and sending in robots to physically punch them in the mind).
His primary allies are Witch Hunters (wielding daggers and crossbows) and Ogres (wielding clubs).

Could not think of a good title. Anyway, I'd prefer something like this. Any suggestions for changes are welcome.

E: Added a line to the summary after discussion on Discord, expanding on the intended direction forwards from this backstory.

Striking Back (0)
Rafal the Butcher (0):
Rafal Says Fuck Your Premise: (1) NUKE9.13
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:23:01 am by NUKE9.13 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 04:11:31 am »

Striking Back (0)
Rafal the Butcher (0):
Rafal Says Fuck Your Premise: (2) NUKE9.13, Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 11:39:10 am »

[
Striking Back (0)
Rafal the Butcher (0):
Rafal Says Fuck Your Premise: (3) NUKE9.13, Taricus, MoP

Since he asked

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 03:53:45 am »

Backstory: Fuck Your Premise

Quote from: Rafal Says Fuck Your Premise
Rafal was never normal. Or rather, Rafal always believed that the entire world was abnormal. He did not like stories. He did not cheer when a heroic knight passed through the town; he did not boo when the villainous baron did so either. He was bullied frequently as a child, to which his parents responded by telling him that it would make for good backstory later in life. Rafal left his village at the tender age of 13, though not before luring his bullies deep into the woods and picking them off one by one with his father's crossbow.
Soon after leaving his village, Rafal was approached by an assassin, who offered him the chance to become his apprentice. Rafal shot him half way through the pitch.
Rafal had a goal, and that goal was not to become a simple villain. No. Killing strangers did not bother him, but it didn't bring him pleasure either. He wanted to kill stories.

The first step was to study them. So Rafal travelled the land for years, observing hundreds of stories great and small. He kept a journal, in which he recorded information about how they started, how they proceeded, and how they ended. Several times, the stories tried to draw him in, but his trusty crossbow kept him suitably disengaged.

The second step was to gain allies. One kid (or young man) with a crossbow couldn't do much. To this end, he travelled to Ravenwood, where the Witch Hunters fought an endless war with the local witches. Rafal, with his extensive notes on narrative structure, was able to lead them to victory against several powerful witches- sometimes at the expense of one or two sacrificial children, but the people of Ravenwood were used to making sacrifices.
For several years, Rafal worked with the Witch Hunters, gradually amassing power- but was eventually driven out of the province by an alliance of witches. Many Witch Hunters followed him, having grown fanatically loyal to his cause. Rafal and his followers travelled next to the Malabar Hills, where Rafal hoped to find a second set of allies.

Ogres- one of the oldest races in the world-, once a proud and prosperous people, had been driven into poverty and obscurity by successive generations of 'heroic' children stealing their treasures and murdering them. "The Boy Steals Ogre's Treasure" was one of the oldest stories in the world ((Trufax, look it up))- and Rafal would see it ended once and for all. He visited the mourning relatives of slain ogres, collected evidence, and systematically set about arresting and executing the thieves. At the same time, he taught ogres to immediately kill intruders, rather than attempt to fatten them up and cook them, and to properly secure their prized belongings.

The ogres quickly joined Rafal's cause, and with their considerable strength backing him up, alongside his ranks of fanatical Witch Hunters, he expanded his reach further, righting the injustices wrought by tyrannical Tales in other regions, building support year by year, until he judged the time was right, and announced the third step of his master plan: revolution. Though in truth Rafal did not particularly care about the plight of the masses, he had in his travels made note of the many people who suffered under the status quo, and judged that they would support him in his crusade.
He was right, of course. With agents in every province riling up crowds, Witch Hunters picking off notable opponents, and an army of ogres arrayed against any organised resistance, his victory was as predetermined as the outcome of any story.

Rafal crouched against the cliffside, clad in chainmail as the ogres shuffled along behind him. They had snuck past the gates as the previous flying patrol passed, and now stood less than 50 meters from their goal. The cargo gates stood close, with two black-plated guards wielding pikes on either side of the door. The cries of stymphs died out as the patrol finally swung past the arc of the mountain, and Rafal rushed the guards, pick in hand. The ogres followed, wearing stiff metal helms to stifle their angry roars as they charged. The ogres grasped the guards and crushed them against the wall with their short clubs. Rafal dug his pick out of the rightmost guard's skull, grunting with the effort, and quickly ran to open the bar on the doors, the Ogres throwing them open. The staff inside were still scrambling from the commotion outside, and the squad of Ogres made quick work of the assorted traders and caravan guards. Rushing ahead of the Ogres and forward through the inner doorway, Rafal ran into his contact, an average looking man in the livery of the dark knight.

Julian had grown up in the kingdom of _____, and had long wanted to become a knight serving his liege. He didn't make the cut, however, and had been polishing armor and cleaning the stymphs for several years now. There would be no storybook telling his exploits, a truly unjust reality. Rafal had given him a chance to break the premise, and now he was their guide to the Black Knight himself.

Beckoning the Ogres to follow, Rafal and Julian moved quickly through the hallways, battering aside the occasional guard and shoving servants into side rooms to clear the way for the half dozen ogres accompanying him. Quickly, they arrived at an ornamented wood and blackened steel door.

Rafal shouldered the door open, emerging into the Black Knight's audience chamber. The ruler himself was there, along with several prominent nobles and guards. Before any of the guards could close on him, Rafal strode forward and shouted, "I demand an audience!" The guards hesitated, and that was the opening. The ogres rushed, their superior bulk and strength bowling over the knights as they clashed, Rafal moving to face the Black Knight, who stood waiting with his sword drawn, deadly and battle ready. Rafal would never defeat him, even with a full dozen Ogres.

"Rafal. Why should I not end you and your ogre minions this instant?" came the deep voice beneath the iron helm.

Rafal drew his crossbow in  smooth motion as the Black Knight spoke, and shot him in the foot, pinning it to the stone floor with a bodkin-tipped point. He reloaded, not looking at the intricate but familiar mechanism as Knights and Ogres fought and died around him, and replied, "Too long have you ruled this kingdom without care for those underfoot. You alone dared defy me and the rightful…"

Rafal shot the Black Knight in the other foot, dropping him to his knees, continuing, "...king of the Woods. You will be an excellent example. A pity it wasn't the Sheriff. Would have been more interesting."

A pained grunt came from under the helmet. "He will avenge me."

"He's welcome to try," Rafal said before he turned to help the Ogres defeat the last of the honor guard. Once the Black Knight was in chains, he moved to the balcony for some fresh air. The Camelot army was inside the walls now. Julian had done his job well. It was time for an execution.

Lore Bonus: Rafal the Leveler
Rafal is beloved by all who are typically disadvantaged in a fairy tale narrative - Ogres, Pirates, Powerful Nobles, Stepmothers, Merchants, and more. Also intensely disliked by plucky children and orphans, such as the Green Knight, but luckily, children don't hold political office.

It is now the design phase. You have one design action, one recruit action, and one revision. You also need to decide where to make your base. See core thread for details.

Spoiler: Current Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Base Options (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:58:10 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 04:47:53 am »

Crossbows
Rafal's Crossbow is a bit of a mystery. Where did his father get it? How has Rafal kept it maintained? Why is it so effective? Rafal insists that there is no grand story behind it. His father was a hunter, who bought the crossbow from a travelling merchant. Rafal was careful with it, and had parts replaced by skilled craftsmen whenever necessary. The efficacy is totally normal, crossbows are just very powerful and often unexpected, and that's all there is to it.
To prove that there is nothing mystical about his crossbow, Rafal has ordered that we produce more of them. Just between you and me, I'm not expecting them to turn out just as good as his personal model, but even a knockoff is liable to be a very deadly weapon.

As demonstrated by Rafal's exploits against the black knight, the humble crossbow serves as out 'equaliser' against those pesky heroes. The ability to punch through most armour, accurately and without much training necessary makes them particularly ideal for our forces (Especially since most plucky heroes use something like a sword.). By devoting effort into manufacturing and acquiring these weapons, we can level off the playing field for the little guys effectively to give the Tales pause.

Anyway, for our base I'd suggest the capital; we'd rather not end up having our base in the same region as the Tales, and it would be just about impossible for them to operate right on our doorstep, which would be invaluable.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:42:31 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 05:03:12 am »

I should note very clearly that even if you and the Tales have a base in the same region, there will be no mechanical effects from it. These are whole kingdoms - you just set up on opposite edges.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 05:24:12 am »

I somehow missed that Taricus already wrote a crossbow proposal, and started work on my own. I won't post the whole thing, but I do like the intro I wrote for it:
Rafal's Crossbow is a bit of a mystery. Where did his father get it? How has Rafal kept it maintained? Why is it so effective? Rafal insists that there is no grand story behind it. His father was a hunter, who bought the crossbow from a travelling merchant. Rafal was careful with it, and had parts replaced by skilled craftsmen whenever necessary. The efficacy is totally normal, crossbows are just very powerful and often unexpected, and that's all there is to it.
To prove that there is nothing mystical about his crossbow, Rafal has ordered that we produce more of them. Just between you and me, I'm not expecting them to turn out just as good as his personal model, but even a knockoff is liable to be a very deadly weapon.

For recruitment, Kobolds, as discussed.
Quote from: Recruit
Kobolds:
Kobolds are small, reptilian humanoids. They were frequently 'employed' as servants in large homes/businesses, as kobolds are compelled to obey the orders of a human who performs the proper rituals (eg feeding them at the right time, saying certain cryptic phrases, and notably never giving them clothing). Such kobolds deeply resented their lot, but were powerless to prevent it. Some managed to escape, by tricking their owners into performing a ritual incorrectly. Others managed to avoid being captured in the first place. These 'wild' kobolds made their homes in caves and mines, where they built traps to keep humans at bay.
The enslavement of kobolds was made illegal upon Rafal's ascension. Not because Rafal felt pity for them, but rather because he found the silly rituals involved offensively fantastical. Additionally, Rafal had use for some kobolds as Bookbinders; those with a talent for building traps and setting up ambushes. By providing them with proper clothing, they can no longer be controlled by rituals (unless the clothing is taken away).
They rarely stand more than 90cm, and are typically scrawny in build. They are weak, and not extremely fast or agile either. However, their manual dexterity is considerable, and they are fast workers. They are not especially skilled crafters, but they have a knack for creating traps of all kinds- spike pits, tripwires, caltrops, etc- even if they look a little crude, one cannot argue with results ((Might require separate design action to enable this skill?)). They are also reasonably skilled at stealth, and well trained in finding suitable places for an ambush, where enough of their small bows and pickaxes ((ie shoddy BYOS weapons)) will kill just as surely as larger weapons.

For a revision, silvered daggers:
Quote from: Revision
Silvered Daggers:
Everyone knows that silver is damaging to all manner of mystical beasties. Even a thin layer of silver added to a dagger's blade can therefore make them significantly more deadly when it comes to facing unnatural beings. So we've done that; taken some common daggers and added a layer of silver. The cost of the silver and the smithing required to fuse it on will naturally make these Silvered Daggers cost more to deploy, but hopefully not exorbitant amounts, as we shouldn't need large amounts of silver to add a thin layer.

For our base, I would suggest somewhere we could find Kobolds. Like Borna Coric.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:31:24 am by NUKE9.13 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4