Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 50555 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: I am developping a Sandbox, citybuilder game with physics
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2020, 08:13:16 pm »

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 31, 2020, 12:45:05 am »

Well this look *very* interesting, looking forward to seeing where it goes. Visually it reminds me a lot of those old material sandbox(not sure what else to call them) flash games.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 31, 2020, 05:23:37 am »

those old material sandbox(not sure what else to call them) flash games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling-sand_game (a bit of a stub article, but I think that's what you mean... Maybe "(particle|sand) simulator", and other terms, would apply too)

From what I can tell, this (with an initial 'worldgen' component and no 'hand of God" arbitrary creation, outside of the dev-tools/Cheaty-McCheaty-cursuring) is the way it is supposed to work.

Most falling-sand games these days support a heat 'layer' atop of substances (esp. if there's combustion interactions and freezing/melting etc), and pressure, perhaps illumination, electrostatic potential, localised gravity (other than default "everything falls", to add to the cellular automata element... The simpler ones just work on pixel colour to identify what neighbours are, and what state they are in (a given range of shades of blue are water and the precise blue indicates how close to freezing/boiling it is, e.g., which is chosen to look visually appropriate), while others work with bitplanes of information that then get rendered into appropriate (but maybe now not entirely unique) colours of pixel.

From prior descriptions of, amongst other things, the mining operations, I think this one is done by hybrid, yes?  Or at least one bitplane is a bitSplane of base colour/hue. Something was said about the change in colour of ground being dug (which varies by depth) giving the chances to extract resources, but illumination effects map over the eventual output visuals too, air pressure is varying according to height above(/depth beneath?) datum, wind is applied as a matt (or at least overlain) effect, fire has seats that spawns flame graphics atop its heat effect, buildings are 'sprites' but the bitmasks that dictate where their graphics are shown are destroyable by various natural/unnatural interactions.  The rain is a particle-storm that passes through 'atmosphere' bitmask, but when it hits designated surfaces it becomes(/has a chance to become) a sandbox-liquid that finds its own level, perhaps interacts with fire-mask/seat blocks, probably has chance erosion-interactions on various types of ground/rock layer information....

I'm guessing most of that. It's how I'd perhaps do it, but then that probably guarantees that there's far better ways of doing most of it, much less data/process intensive. ;)

(Atop of all that, there's the galactic simulator, spaceship movements, intelligence/civilisation/political agent-emulation, the whole thought behind the (usually) limited interactions the player has with the world (including having to work with resources/tools to get more resources/tools, in a city-management way rather) rather than "wave a hand to generate falling lava out of nothing" as per the eternally-GodMode sand-game. And new surprising elements every time we get an update, it seems to me.)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2020, 08:21:31 pm »

Well Starver, you have put an interesting analysis, I will eventually details (not right now) a bit more to answer all your questions. You get it right for some stuff but I am not really using any bitmasks.
Also to clarify, I use someone else's asset for a good chunk of the pixel simulation, and extended it using the same concept he used. Basically each pixel that is "alive" is taken in the simulation and is an independant object with its own algorithm running, and not placed into another abtract mask. There is of course many many technical things to details regarding the optimisation of such simulation, and especially for any liquids but I'll probably spend the night trying to explain it  :P

I do use an hybrid approach, when for exemple the program try to get the pixel at coordinate x 10 and y15, it will either return a "live" pixel object with all its data and functions it inherits from this specific class of live pixel if there is any or a sleeping/ static one mostly identified by its precise color (some specific color are encoded to represent a specific state). Some live pixel can be dormant (like the ones that reached hydrostatic equilibrum) and use a basic algorithm at each game loop.

Yes the game starts to look like a actual game, and the god-mode begins to be the privilege of the cheater. I plan to make an early alpha, limited to a single module of the game by the end of this year with only the surface, city-building part available, I can't wait to have my first playthrough ^^

PS : here is a bonus video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCdVWf3IT6s
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:24:05 pm by geoffroypir »

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 12, 2020, 03:57:24 pm »

Hey everyone,

I have worked lately on preparing my kickstarter campaign, I have finished the page last wednesday but the page is still under review from the kickstarter team (I was planning to lauch it the 14th but it'll be probably later).
I have made a video (real pain in the a** to make) and completed the page if you are interested to see.

The video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrmPfRqS3M&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=PirardGeoffroy
The page : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geopi/antimatter-a-city-builder-and-4x-game

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 12, 2020, 04:27:29 pm »

Cool. The kickstarter link doesn't work, though, it just takes me to the main kickstarter page. Probably not allowed to see it until the project goes live.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 12, 2020, 05:02:15 pm »

Unless you already plan, but when the kickstarter officially goes online dont forget to update your OP with a link. Last time it was just on a random page, and not everyone goes through all the pages and it can get kinda lost. But I look forward to seeing it up :) I'll have to try to dig into my funds and see if can't help fund your project, but money is tight right now.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2020, 05:06:45 pm »

Unless you already plan, but when the kickstarter officially goes online dont forget to update your OP with a link. Last time it was just on a random page, and not everyone goes through all the pages and it can get kinda lost. But I look forward to seeing it up :) I'll have to try to dig into my funds and see if can't help fund your project, but money is tight right now.

Yes you are right, I must not forget it, thanks ;)

Cool. The kickstarter link doesn't work, though, it just takes me to the main kickstarter page. Probably not allowed to see it until the project goes live.
Mmmh correct, so here is the preview (that should work) :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geopi/438469428?ref=d1estr&token=39bcb079

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2020, 09:36:41 am »

Cool, just re-backed!

Oh, and when you update the OP with the new kickstarter link you should probably update the title of the thread as well.
Come play Mafia with us!

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2020, 01:00:32 pm »

Thanks a lot ! I just got back from work and witnessed the outcome of the first hours of my campaign, it looks very very promising !
I am going to change the title as you suggested, haven't thought it was something possible.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(I've temporarily changed the subject.)
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »

If you change the OP subject, it becomes the default reply subject. What I just did shouldn't stick or effect how it appears in the threads-table/listings. (If you quote-reply to an altered-subject post such as this one, it picks up and Re:ifies the non-OP title, but non-quote replying or quote-replying any other message takes the OP again.

Not sure I ever did any of this myself (as OP) but it's done all the time to update forum game states (player slots still open, day/night# of mafia round), latest version numbers of the 3rd-party DF tool, latest pun at the expense of a world leader being discussed in a region-thread, etc.

Just FYI, at least as far as my limited testing just now allows me to know I'm not talking total rubbish. ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 02:20:05 pm by Starver »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2020, 03:39:13 pm »

Yeah, I did that a ton back when I was running mafia games.
Come play Mafia with us!

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wow, I can actually change the subject and look down on lowly message content.
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2020, 04:34:23 pm »

That's crazy, technology won't stop to amaze me.

So it's done and turned into full shameless self promotion mode.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstarter is live ! Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »

Kudos for using the the planet in your video that isn't the go-to of everybody else. (I always thought Neptune didn't get enough appreciation.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 22