Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22

Author Topic: Antimatter, my citybuilder and 4X game with physics.  (Read 50618 times)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am developping a Sandbox, citybuilder game with physics
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2020, 01:00:33 pm »

What are your plans for those ai ships? Are they just randomly exploring, or are they trading and helping out civilizations and stuff? And do planets communicate with each other? (most probably won't, given the lore, but who knows)

Trade behaviour is already written, but it is too early in the generation to give any incentive to trade for AI. I need first a fully functionnal planetary economy before. The trading system will be similar to the one on X4 with goods orders, to prevent overeaction of the private economy.
Basically, AI ship are independants and persistants agents that will behave as close to the player with some personnalities. They can be owned by a faction (colored) or independant civilians (white).
Ships and spacestation has crew as well (NPC) with whom you can talk ( thay don't say much for the moment though).
Economy simulation is my thing, I already programmed several models in the past so I will put a special attention to make a cool economy system.

Yes, planets will communicate with each other, with the end of the antimatter crisis, faster-than-light communication and travel is back. As a player you start just after the crisis, when the supply of antimatter start to be available once again.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2020, 10:07:45 am »

It keeps sounding better and better :)

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2020, 11:50:36 am »

Thanks.

Here is a new update on planetary colonisation :

I have improved how planetary colonisation and exploration works, and improved the interface.

Each tile can be visited / colonised
Now each planet is divided into 10 tiles. Each tile can be colonised independantly, and have a specific biome. I used to make only one surface generation per planet but realised it could not represent the biome diversity on a single planet. This also add more depth on the colonisation strategy as each tile has its own features.

Now the surface generation use the planet generation at its fullest, for exemple , Ice cover and water cover has an impact on the number of water / ice covered tiles limiting the colonisation options. Maybe a barren tile has more mineral ressource than a luxurious one, or maybe you will prefer to settle near a native civilisation to expl-- .. I mean cooperate with them . Sometimes who will prefer to avoid a tile with an active volcano (those who follow my work know that I have some love into lava and volcano in my game). Tile also locally stores its own lifeform diversity.

Furthermore, It expands the biome possibility allowing for a huge increase in surface generation diversity as now generation parameters are defined by the tile, not the planet.

Most planets in the galaxy are barren

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2020, 02:42:40 pm »

I like it!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 24, 2020, 04:29:19 am »

Every time this gets a new update the game gets more and more interesting looking.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2020, 04:53:47 pm »

tie tiles for individual biomes on a planet seem very interesting, would it be possible to traverse to other tiles without going to orbit?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

VoyagerGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Lover of Dwarf Fortress, developer of Outer Colony
    • View Profile
    • Outer Colony's Website
« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2020, 05:56:29 pm »

Wow.

This is...freakin' awesome. I've gone through this thread, and I'm borderline speechless. I don't think I've seen something this interesting since I first read about Dwarf Fortress.

I absolutely love this game's aesthetics, the visuals are gorgeous, and the mechanics are mind-bending. Godspeed, dude. You are making something rare and great.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 24, 2020, 07:03:42 pm »

tie tiles for individual biomes on a planet seem very interesting, would it be possible to traverse to other tiles without going to orbit?
Sure, The planet interface will be accessible on the surface as well, I don't see any challenge to add the possibility to travel to another region.

Wow.

This is...freakin' awesome. I've gone through this thread, and I'm borderline speechless. I don't think I've seen something this interesting since I first read about Dwarf Fortress.

I absolutely love this game's aesthetics, the visuals are gorgeous, and the mechanics are mind-bending. Godspeed, dude. You are making something rare and great.
I am overwhelmingly touched by your comment  :')

I am keeping an eye on your project as well (I commented yestersday on your thread) I think your game is a rough gem that could get a second chance on kickstarter, you did quite well on your last campaign with such an esoteric style of game.

It seems this subforum is a natural breeding ground for creative real indie devs, it is interesting to see some of my favourite games getting theirs main forum thread on this humble place.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 24, 2020, 07:28:58 pm »

It seems this subforum is a natural breeding ground for creative real indie devs, it is interesting to see some of my favourite games getting theirs main forum thread on this humble place.
My own pet personal project will probably never see the light of day, but I warn you that it features icosahedral "top level" planet-tiling, so I'm probably going to shift my (continually missed[1]) goalposts to be less like your hex-tiled maps.

I feel bad for not saying how good it was, yet. The trouble is that I saw your message, and thought "I like it!" - in exactly those words - just before I scrolled to hove into view the next (and, at that time latest) post that was...
I like it!
...which I just couldn't top. For once I had perfect brevity, that meant everything I meant to mean, and someone beat me to it. (Though I might have had extra exclamations. In my head, that is, whether or not in the post I then did not write.)

Just so you know. ;)

[1] Among the many reasons I never get anywhere is that I see someone got there before me, and I shift the idea to look less like it might be a rip-off. At one point it was going to be a vectorised Minecraft, until Minecraft hovex into view.  Though that reason is drowned out by having far to many mini-projects on the go, etc, rather than aiming arrow straight at one end-result, Toady-like.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2020, 10:20:34 am »

No problem starver  :P

I think this isn't a good idea to refrain from continuing a project because it won't look as original as expected. As long as you have some creativity, you will naturally branch out to something new during developpement.

My game for exemple takes a lot of inspiration from games I play. The tile system is "taken" from an old version of Stellaris, and many tiny details are direct inspirations from others game as well, for exemple the strategic view icones of projectiles is inspired from Supreme Commander. Also I am certainly not the first to make a game with a fully destructible environment at pixel scale, but maybe I am the first to associate a city builder to it, maybe not, but I don't care to be the first one of anything, some dev are content being the first at executing a shitty games concept for the sake of being the first of something, I'd rather keep a standard but great game design if it works. I am fond of Distant Worlds and X4 as well and some upcoming features will probably look very similar.

Even the banner (the drawing I made) is not entirely original, look at the sky color and look at stellaris banner sky color : exact same color palette.

If you consider that my planet-tiling is similar to yours, or even consider drawing some inspiration from mine, then go ahead.

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2020, 06:32:19 pm »

Speaking with one of the NPC at a spacestation.

I found this lost tileset I drawn, in my hard drive XD

Watch this procedural medieval tech city growing

(OOOh GIFs are WORKING on bay12 forum !oO)

What you'll expect when starting the game.
You start the after the end of the antimatter crisis, the new power in place is still unorganised, and you meet the only person here having a ship with a functional hyperdrive. He is a rich collector of old things and he happens to be wealthy anough to collect and maintain entire ships, dating from before the antimatter crisis.

This man has other ambitions than collecting stuff, and his nostalgia for the old federation he reads in history books, associated with a megalomaniac mind gave him the ambition to establish himself a new federation of planets.

No matter if you follow or not his vision, he lends you the first ship capable of interstellar travel since a thousand years. That is not an opportunity to miss.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2020, 08:20:08 pm »

Nice and simple plot, but sufficient. Good choice.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 27, 2020, 04:44:52 am »

Really nice concept. I hope you have enough motivation to lead it where you dream it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2020, 04:43:37 pm »

Quote from: Kickstarter message
Tell me what feature you'd like to see in the game ?
A few different things, that kind of cascaded off of one another.

1) Megaprojects - Death Star sized stations, turning a city into a massive high-tech research or administration center, giant planet-based defense systems for the star system, stuff like that.
2) Logistics network to support said Megaprojects.
3) Blockades and piracy to effect said logistics network.
Come play Mafia with us!

geoffroypir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2020, 07:52:33 pm »

Really nice concept. I hope you have enough motivation to lead it where you dream it.
Thank you for kind words Deon.

Quote from: Kickstarter message
Tell me what feature you'd like to see in the game ?
A few different things, that kind of cascaded off of one another.

1) Megaprojects - Death Star sized stations, turning a city into a massive high-tech research or administration center, giant planet-based defense systems for the star system, stuff like that.
2) Logistics network to support said Megaprojects.
3) Blockades and piracy to effect said logistics network.

1)This is clearly something on top of my TODO, it won't require a lot of novelty on my game engine so I will certainly add this on the "content" phase of the developpement of my game. (early 2021 I think)
2) and 3) Is planned in the core game, I will use a node based supply/demand/weight economy. As mentionned, economy simulation is my thing so I will likely use a modified version of something I already developped. With such simulation, a structure hosting a huge pop, servcies and industry will likely stimulate the local economy with huge demand.
To put it simply : Pirate will be attracted by absolute trade value of all exchanges in a trade node and will be repulsed by military presence and history of pirate defeat in the node. A trade node is basically anything that host a trade module and that cannot move.
Given the fact that trade exchanges wont be abstracted to a arbitrary variable, but are represented by independant ships moving goods, the logistic will naturally be affected by length  and safety of the supply line.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 07:57:15 pm by geoffroypir »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22