Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 265

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 427402 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2460 on: November 09, 2022, 10:00:32 am »

Edit: removed an earlier version of this post, because I can't read. It seems there might be two bralbaards out there. The hand (raised by Bor) is definitely out in the jungle and perfectly playable. The game will just drop it in a random site when played. The Urus-raised bralbaard,I know nothing about, but I vaguely remember someone stating that a resurrection attempt failed, earlier? But indeed it might still be out there?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 10:45:09 am by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: November 09, 2022, 10:58:25 am »

I think this implies that there are atleast three undead Bralbaards out there. The Hand, the body and the head. I know he lost his head and i did bring it to herograves so i assume the head and body were revived along with the left hand.

One day all the pieces of Bralbaard will be reunited
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: November 09, 2022, 11:20:29 am »

A relic of a bygone age.

With many mysterious rumblings in the dark,  how do you all see the future of Orid Xem as we come to enter it's 1000th year somewhat soon?
I've lost control of my life.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: November 09, 2022, 11:44:00 am »

The next turn if my calculation is right will be the last week of the year (if no one doesn't show up) and close to the 1000 year mark. Holyblood has a big plan and i will have the time to do a lot. >:)

But i see Orid Xem fluctuating currently, flickering from twilight to golden age and what not. Eventually will come the age of fairytails or an age of goblins depending on peoples actions.

I rekon without intervention, The Staff of Kissing will return to extinction. Another human Civ is likely to fall due to low numbers. Kobolds are near extinction and will be extinct by the 80 or so years til the year 1,000. The elfs are close to the end but if left alone could slowly repopulate. The discovery of the lost 12th secret, maybe. Thats if i can find a certain backpack in the wilderness.

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: November 09, 2022, 12:14:27 pm »

Interesting predictions. I'm not betting on any of them. In fact, I'm hoping for the last dwarf civ (the ones whose remainder are the soldiers of night) to return from the grave. I might try it out the turn after my next one.

We could probably keep the human civs alive by using the technique Unraveller has used to play Omon Obin "forts". The goblins sending armies of trolls is worrying for the civs with fewer sites. The Armored Confederacy (the one Avolition is the Law-Giver of) is the most at risk, if an attack managed to decapitate both the remaining citizens and Law-Giver Avolition, it'll go extinct. I think your Law-Giver or one of his citizens should seriously consider either founding or reclaiming some new sites so the civ can have some momentum to do it itself.

If anything, it'll be the age of humans, so far nobody's cared that the goblins are getting extincted by adventurers, until recently I didn't even thought it would be possible, but the entire thread's ganging up on them has killed over 30,000.

I think I've said it before, but a civ's capability of survival depends on the number of settlements it has active rather than strictly the numbers of citizens (though the latter helps). Case in point, The Staff has recently reclaimed on its own a cave that belonged to Adilatir. Ribiromimi seems to have realized this early in history and retrieved most of its settlements.

I do have to wonder what this cross-reclaiming is going to do to inter-civ relation. Another question is if the wars that started or survived into the 8th century are ever going to end. I think you can end some in fortress mode, but what about nations you don't control? Are we going to end in a World War situation where everyone will fight anyone and only the dwarf nations will be able to end their own fights while the rest of the nations will exist until the end of time in perpetual war?
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: November 09, 2022, 12:35:51 pm »

On that topic even if they're in states of perpetual war on paper, it doesn't seem like these wars amount to much at all after a time. Very few battles occur that actually seem to change the state of the world past Gen, or so I feel.

EDIT: -- SO it seems that during my short day and a half playing this save, which involved Irka and Rimtil, heirs of Omon Obin leading the next blight purge in their nation and then setting up a small fort to continue from, the game has become unplayable for me. I spent about an in-game year on said fort and intended to train troops in it for the heirs to lead, in otherwords there wasn't anything particularly special about it but regardless, now on ALL THREE of the devices in this house, none can load the save past the 'Loading Items' section, it merely hangs unresponsively while attempting to use 16gbs of memory.

There's no error log as the game does not crash, perhaps some item created during this time corrupted things. I have the choice of sussing that out or restarting, unfortunately it's fairly frustrating either way, haha.

EDIT EDIT: With some digging, found out the issue. The world.dat file in Yarlig's save is about 160,000 KB, mine is only 16,000 KB. Somehow during my play, an entire decimal got shaved off of the world.dat file. Which basically amounts to it being broken. With no known way to edit this data structure as far as I'm aware, I can't just patch the holes either, so I have no choice but to start over after some pretty good sessions too. . . A bit disheartening.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 01:20:36 pm by Unraveller »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: November 09, 2022, 02:36:18 pm »

That's unfortunate. It would be fine with me if it didn't count against your turn limit.
Try to save and back up often!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 04:52:36 pm by Bralbaard »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: November 09, 2022, 03:11:57 pm »

Truly sorry to hear that. I second Bralbaard, you had some great turns and it's great to see your progress every time. I'm still in the process of reading Jas' first story.

One suggestion: make sure at least one of Jas' kids survive, move them to your fort and make sure they have kids, this is one of the things I have gripes in the current version of the game, sapients rarely have children outside fortress mode and humans not at all. All the human lines that survived from a time before time into the late 8th century are ended now, not even because of the blight, but because of this faulty mechanic.

Regarding the impact of wars, I'll have to disagree. I think the reason wars didn't have much effect on the world is that the world was at an effective peace since the decisive battle in 345. We see for example the consequences of the Curious Horror's wars from world generation, where several armies tried to take Shadmalzuglar several times. There are the 708-709 wars against the elven capital Vacirayali which gutted the leadership, killing the Queen, 3 Druids and 3 Princesses, leading to the rise of the Dark Queen Vafice. That's pretty important. There were some attacks against Artha Peacefulsong, who defended Odiuse several time from the Most Sin. Meanwhile, Apocalypse Bear Arcturus was ordered into battle, defeated and imprisoned by the elves. Even my Iroram (probably Eskon too) were attacked throughout history. We have the phyrric victory of Okutu Olngö which had King Bralbaard killed and could have very well ended in the fall of Sethurdim Mestthos Oram with not one, but two Monarchs dying due to wars where players had no control. Now we had the recent the Battle of Cemoshtoral which by all logic should have ended with the destruction of at least the original group of a player fortress. Now we're seeing the Most Sin going on the offensive again. All in all, I feel the wars have impacted the world enough during these over two centuries and if the Most Sin continues its aggressive expansion, with 33,000 goblins (I find it curious that those trolls aren't recognized by Legends Viewer, so they might have a lot more non-goblin troops in reserve) they're a credible threat to any they dare to challenge, especially with the blight decimating the lands.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: November 09, 2022, 06:33:16 pm »

One suggestion: make sure at least one of Jas' kids survive, move them to your fort and make sure they have kids, this is one of the things I have gripes in the current version of the game, sapients rarely have children outside fortress mode and humans not at all. All the human lines that survived from a time before time into the late 8th century are ended now, not even because of the blight, but because of this faulty mechanic.

Aside from clearing out the thralls that the Ghoulfather had put to Omon Obin last go-round, this is more or less my main goal, and what I'm currently in the process of doing. I don't have extremely lofty plans this turn, though perhaps I am sowing the seeds for the Realm of Silver to better defend its lands. . . Garrisons in all occupied towns! Albiet in a very roundabout way.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: November 09, 2022, 07:31:35 pm »

I had a poke about the save and there are just so so many ghouls now. They are only going to spread.

I guess we will be cleansing thrall infestations for the next 100 years!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: November 10, 2022, 01:20:12 pm »

Maybe it's time to build a giant wall around the entire Realm of Silver. :p

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: November 10, 2022, 01:55:44 pm »

That won't help. Ghouls are too crafty. Only mass slaughter will purge the plague from the infected lands
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: November 10, 2022, 05:05:42 pm »

You're correct of course, perhaps it will be the life-goal of a future mad and weak Law-Giver. But for now. . . Soldiers and Silver armor.

They had this child in their mid-seventies. I had always wondered if there was some 'fertility' stat that reduced as they aged, now I'm not too sure. I feel like I'm playing Crusader Kings over here, never would get this experience of DF without the Museum. : )
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:08:44 pm by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: November 10, 2022, 05:44:45 pm »

Maybe it's time to build a giant wall around the entire Realm of Silver. :p
*tempted to spoil my next turn, tempted to spoil my turn, tempted to spoil my next turn...*

You're correct of course, perhaps it will be the life-goal of a future mad and weak Law-Giver. But for now. . . Soldiers and Silver armor.

They had this child in their mid-seventies. I had always wondered if there was some 'fertility' stat that reduced as they aged, now I'm not too sure. I feel like I'm playing Crusader Kings over here, never would get this experience of DF without the Museum. : )
Congrats for the offspring. I also love CK almost as much as DF. Specifically "almost", including because CK was always used as a cash cow, CK2 likely won't be further updated, I hate the graphics in CK3 so I won't play it until they get out a mod for it to look like CK2 and CK is ultimately playing with only the lives of a limited number of people, in DF you control just about everything in the environment. Long life to Toady to make this game as great as can be.

Well, seeing as I've had the fortune of your turn to be shortly before mine, I continue to wish you well in completing it (save often!), maybe I won't be forced to flee like a thief in the night from my hopeful home in Señamatem, because yes I plan to start from there and I've learned my lesson to just run from the blight. Props to (off the top of my head) Bralbaard, Maloy and Leto for doing that when I foolishly rushed in to confront it last time.

Re: fertility and other matters: At least from World Generation, we see hist figures marry, give children and fight until they keel over, even if it is from old age. The legendary Tholtig was fighting a war by herself and slaying elves until she dropped dead of old age and she was the only person left alive of her fortress, if not her civilization. When she died, the events for the fort died, she died during the war, she died of old age. Dwarf Fortress is the best game that humanity has ever seen.

Just got to read Leto and QD as Ehhu's turn, I'm surprised I'm almost up to date with the stories. Remember that troll that tried to take Mischieflaws, he also attacked Leto's vampire companions, apparently by his lonesome, and was repelled before the attack on Atticmuffins. Either Ol' Urut is determined to enter into (Museum adventurer) history or his superiors are, the Most Sin are hitting at our very history.

As for QD's turn, definitely loved it. It had enough mystery, enough action and moderation in making the Abyssal Cult a practically regional though story-wise world threat. I loved the fight with Jas, how it was incorporated, how Ehhu died a hero. 10/10, there's always work and thoughtfulness shown in QD's stories while we run around either as scared chicken or murderhobos. Also loved the exploration of those two large and awesome forts. Maybe mine will be 1% of that after I'll complete my thousandth turn in the same world lol.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:52:57 pm by Lurker Z »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: November 10, 2022, 05:58:14 pm »

I guess the Law-giver of silver has the Fecund trait. Perhaps the once two sibling war might become more muddy. I wonder what god this heir worships. Looking forward to seeing what becomes of your turn. Please save and make backups as i would hate to see you lose more progress.

Drunken scholar
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 265